Papeete Windspirit

patrinka

We will be sailing on the Wind Spirit in October. We are taking the ferry from Moorea early Sunday morning arriving in Papeete.

I believe we can not get on the ship until 1 pm. Does the ferry dock close to where the Wind Spirit is docked?

Do you know if we can leave our luggage at the ship and wander for a few hours before we board?

Is the pier close to the market and is it opened on Sunday?

Any information on this sailing would be appreciated!

This. Everything is very close. You can easily walk with luggage from the ferry terminal to the Spirit. 

From previous threads, I believe there is no left luggage at the ferry terminal. There is a sort of tourist information tent set up outside the cruise port and I’ve seen one report that they will hold luggage but that may be spotty. 

Check in is two part. I think until about noon you line up outside a gate and then they open it up and they take your bags but you then wait inside a fenced area. Sorry I can’t be more specific. 

If you do get to the market there’s a great spot for lunch upstairs. The name is lost to me but there’s just one and it will be busy. Sort of a combo coffee bar and restaurant.  The burger hit the spot. 

Adding. Mrs Milepig recalls that we arrived by cab at abouy 11:30 and joined a very small group waiting outside a chain link fence. At some point about noon someone began to take bags but we were left lined up along the fence with no cover. We could see a large covered area if benches right beyond the gate but we weren’t let in until just before embarkation began. Not the most pleasant preboarding experience we’ve had.

i recommend you find a local guide or even a cab to meet you at the ferry to take you on a short tour dropping you at the cruise port at about noon. By then you can drop your bags and go to the market for some lunch as long as you don’t want to board right at 1 - you have until about 4 to actually board. 

Edited by milepig

Go across the road to the bar/restaurant (les Trois Brasseurs) and have a drink before boarding. Take the 14h20 ferry if you can (as a safety measure, there is also a ferry at 15h50 just in case)

1452505224_TerevauHorairesummer2019.thumb.jpg.0e689acd71763cdd479b4f075b11d8d4.jpg

31 minutes ago, patrinka said:

I can't figure out this ferry schedule.

Is there a place at the pier to purchase wine to take on board?

There are a few places a few blocks from the pier, but I wouldn't trust them to have stored it properly so it didn't cook.  The most reliable place is Carrefour which would require taking a bus or taxi.  

On 6/10/2019 at 12:51 PM, patrinka said:

I can't figure out this ferry schedule.

Is there a place at the pier to purchase wine to take on board?

try this: https://www.terevau.pf/en/schedules/

As for wine, there are 2 or 3 place in town. One of them: http://terredevigne.com/vins

We'll be in papeete mid-july, not on WS this time. We'll be attending the Heiva. Maybe we'll meet people fron the CC group.

Cheers

A word to the wise about the ferry schedule times. We did not take the last ferry back to Tahiti from Moorea as were warned by locals that they often do not run on time....like 1/2 hour early or late. Seemed it's always late when we took it but the people who invariably transported us to the ferry dock in Moorea gave warning.

On 6/11/2019 at 7:49 PM, Petoonya said:

A word to the wise about the ferry schedule times. We did not take the last ferry back to Tahiti from Moorea as were warned by locals that they often do not run on time....like 1/2 hour early or late. Seemed it's always late when we took it but the people who invariably transported us to the ferry dock in Moorea gave warning.

Absolutely. Weather is also unpredictable, which is the major reason they leave late or not at all. It is always a good idea to give yourself some options.

22 minutes ago, dandee2 said:

Absolutely. Weather is also unpredictable, which is the major reason they leave late or not at all. It is always a good idea to give yourself some options.

Dandee- had to tell you that I always used to wonder what was so special about Heiva as you praise it year after year. Now that I've read about it and heard others rave along with you, I'm determined to plan a trip around it. The website only has the current June/July schedule- is there a way to determine when it will be say in 2020 or any time further into the future? I REALLY want to go!

On 6/14/2019 at 11:51 PM, Petoonya said:

Dandee- had to tell you that I always used to wonder what was so special about Heiva as you praise it year after year. Now that I've read about it and heard others rave along with you, I'm determined to plan a trip around it. The website only has the current June/July schedule- is there a way to determine when it will be say in 2020 or any time further into the future? I REALLY want to go!

I praise it because we love the cultural aspect of it ( and the dance aspect is like a giant tapestry of song and dance). You have to look at the historical significance of the event. The american indian (First Nation) have their Pow-wow, the Maori of New-Zealand have theirs, etc. It celebrate what they are and the respect they have for what they were and what they will be.
Same goes for the Hawaiian who have their own version - the LUAU.

See the 2017 or 2017 event on youtube and decide if you wish to attend. The cost is minimal (about 25$ per night -  3 hour show). Event is held from the first week of july to the third (final dates are set around the month of February but they will not vary much) . Wish Windstar would make a Special Event. We saw the local one in Reatea with Wind Spirit (it overnight there). We were the only WS passenger to attend - And we missed the deck BBQ 😉

We're going this July. :-) (and report back with photos) if you have question just send them

Cheers

Daniel

See the FB version on Tahiti TV - Great routine at 1:48:00

Bonjour Daniel,  merci bien pour vos information á propos de Tahiti. Nous avons fait un croisière en Tahiti avec WS. Nous avons apprécier la culture et les sites

picturesque. Bon Voyage et le vent derrière les voiles. 

11 hours ago, Strenz said:

Bonjour Daniel,  merci bien pour vos information á propos de Tahiti. Nous avons fait un croisière en Tahiti avec WS. Nous avons apprécier la culture et les sites

picturesque. Bon Voyage et le vent derrière les voiles. 

Ça fait plaisir :-) Nous aurons surement l'occasion de se rencontrer un de ces jours (We will eventually meet one of these days)