Bliss "review" - May 19-26 Alaska

rmurray847

On 7/6/2019 at 11:32 PM, Journey11 said:

Excellent informative review. Made notes for our upcoming Alaska cruise on the Bliss. 

I think I read that this is the time of year with very long daylight hours. Did that impact you in any way? Arrival in Victoria is late. Was it still daylight?

Wow, I am sorry I missed your question (and I'm sure it's too late  now).  Yes, the days are long.  True darkness didn't last long at all, maybe 11:30 pm until 4:30 am or so.  A sort of dusky feeling for a couple of hours before and after.  Like the longest sunset and sunrise ever.  It was unusual, but it didn't truly "impact" us, in my opinion.  It was kind of cool.  Later in the summer, that will only be more the case.  Victoria was a late arrival, for sure.  It was dark by the time we got off the ship.  But that isn't much higher than Seattle.  Not really fair to compare to the rest of the ports.

On 7/7/2019 at 9:47 AM, cknic said:

Did you buy the internet package before sailing or after? I am curious if there was a “sale” on board? 

Thanks for your review!

Again, my apologies for the late (and now, certainly unhelpful) response.  We bought our package in advance.  I don't think I really saw any onboard sales.  They sure promoted it plenty...but other than the small discounts available for Latitude status, I didn't see anything I'd call "lower pricing."  I have to admit, I didn't make it a mission to look though...we already had our package, so didn't need to.

2 hours ago, rmurray847 said:

Wow, I am sorry I missed your question (and I'm sure it's too late  now).  Yes, the days are long.  True darkness didn't last long at all, maybe 11:30 pm until 4:30 am or so.  A sort of dusky feeling for a couple of hours before and after.  Like the longest sunset and sunrise ever.  It was unusual, but it didn't truly "impact" us, in my opinion.  It was kind of cool.  Later in the summer, that will only be more the case.  Victoria was a late arrival, for sure.  It was dark by the time we got off the ship.  But that isn't much higher than Seattle.  Not really fair to compare to the rest of the ports.

No, not late at all. We cruise in September.

Thank you very much.

On 6/4/2019 at 10:25 AM, rmurray847 said:

The Brewhouse is wonderful.  On a warm weather cruise it is great sitting outside and watching football while drinking a nice draft.  Definitely a great addition to the ship.  I am enjoying your review.  I will be on her the same week in 2020.

Special mention of The District Brewhouse, though.  We spent a lot of time here, because I love beer, and they actually have a fairly credible list of craft beers.  Although I have to make the following complaint:  the menus were not up to date.  I ordered, for example, the Dogfish Head 90 off the draft menu (what a treat that would be).  Well, I was informed that the menu was the "east cost" menu and they when they moved West they had taken on some new beer.  I was assured the menu would be updated soon.  It never was. Still plenty of good beers, but I had to always to up to the bar and look in their glass fridge or scan the tap.  And many of the most exciting beers on the menu were gone (I'd say 20% or more of the "craft" beers...they always have Budweiser).  But it was a great space for some quiet (with views of the sea), board games and that "brewery smell."  We stopped by here, at least briefly, every day.  (In the evening, they had some guy playing piano and doing "humor" that drew out all the drunks, and we left during those times.  It was loud and obnoxious and everything the District WASN'T the rest of the time.)

On 6/3/2019 at 7:36 PM, jvsnana said:

Who are they and how did you know they were waiting to drive folks to the airport?

I would not uber to the port of seattle, they don't allow them to stop. We walked from the space needle and I'm disabled, and there are  hotels much closer. Seattle is unique, the port is in downtown. its not like Carnaval where its miles from the freeway. but they yell at ubers and wont let them stop. 

On 6/5/2019 at 2:02 PM, timf2001 said:

You can sit at the bar and order volcano nachos, pretzel sticks, or chips & salsa without having to pay the full cover charge.  It's not very well advertised because the door to the bar has a sign directing people to the other entrance for restaurant seating.

so tim did you just go into the door to the bar that has the sign on it?