Just got Pacific explorer cabin allocation, worried

We always try to book a certain cabin to avoid sea sickness, but couldnt this time with P and O.

2 weeks to go to Tassie prob very rough seas.

Now we have got highest level deck 12 oh dear! Its also near the front of the ship and near the pool area. 

Can anyone help, to quell my fears that has stayed in this location?

I don't believe we can ask to be moved. 

Thanks in advance.

9 minutes ago, Sallyandtex said:

We always try to book a certain cabin to avoid sea sickness, but couldnt this time with P and O.

2 weeks to go to Tassie prob very rough seas.

Now we have got highest level deck 12 oh dear! Its also near the front of the ship and near the pool area. 

Can anyone help, to quell my fears that has stayed in this location?

I don't believe we can ask to be moved. 

Thanks in advance.

So you booked a GTY cabin? Direct with P&O or via a TA ?    If you are not happy with your allocation contact P&O or your agent, tell them you suffer from motion sickness and can you perhaps pay a little more and pick a cabin location to suit you.   But with only 2 weeks to go to sailing, ship may be full. Good luck with it all anyway.

Yes it is the time of year for rough seas down south, 6 metre seas of Batemans Bay, NSW South Coast today.  Tasman sea might be worse.

Above all, enjoy !!

Just think of the positives.😀

Easy access to the forward lifts. Just a hop from the Pantry and a step to the NZ Ice Cream store.

Very rough seas right now, but in two weeks the seas may be as smooth as silk. Who knows?

Keep up the positive vibes.

Yes thinking of the positives!

We could only book a certain category eg BC but not a particular cabin for this cruise not sure why.

Will take some medicine but was wondering if anyone had stayed there as we usually opt for deck 5-8 on other ships.

Does the Pantry have 24 hr tea making facilities eg get your own?

On our last cruise in March we had an inside cabin on Deck 12 mid forward on the Sea Princess.  As the Pacific Explorer was the Sea's sister ship the Dawn Princess before she went to P&O, the cabins on both ships will still be in the same place.  We usually try to get a cabin on Aloha aft so mid forward on 12 was a big change.  It was very handy for the buffet (Pantry), the lifts and the pool area.  I was worried about being forward and about being sea sick.   We had some very rough weather, especially when we left NZ, the first really bad weather we have ever had on a ship.  I don`t think it would have made any difference on where we were on the ship from what conditions were like on lower decks.  I just kept taking the pills and was fine.

I am sure you will be OK.  Enjoy.

Anne

I am sure it will be fine we have not experienced that much more movement on deck twelve as compared to say deck 8 although compared to deck 5 there is a greater difference. Take your usual precautions (medication, sea bands etc) just in case.

While I can't help with the cabin location - if you do need to take sea sickness pills can I suggest you do so at bed time.  That way you sleep really well and the next day you will be fine 🙂  I hope you have a good trip.

HI sallyandtex

I have my fingers cross... bass strait can be smooth or rough or anywhere inbetween.....

Have done lots of crossing on the Spirit of Tassie,, as well as few a few across the Tasman on the Golden....

You should be right... and don't worry about it and enjoy your cruise.....

Have a G&T or a nice wine to settle the nerves

Cheers and good sailing Don

• 2 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, Sallyandtex said:

Thanks everyone, we checked the swell forecast for next week and its going to be OK!

Will look forward to being king of the boat up high and hope to spot some whales from the balcony!

We had a fabulous inside cabin up on deck 12 when it was Dawn Princess. We had usually booked aft on Deck 11 but for this 15 night cruise to PNG none were available.

We loved the location, one up to the buffet, and just walk outside to the pool area. It was very quiet and no above noise for us.

We have cruised to Tassie three times, January, February and November and it was calm seas everytime, hope you have the same!!

Thanks Chez. We must be nuts going in winter but the Dark Mofo seemed like a fun thing to do. Glad the location seems good now!

We have 2 days in Hobart with Mona included,  was just going to stroll and around and soak up the atmosphere. Any not-to-be-missed places we should pencil in?

On our crossing we did have rough seas with the drawers in the cabin opening and closing by themselves. ( the old Dawn Princess)

I took another sea sick tablet in the morning,  popped the sea bands on and had an extra cup of coffee to stay awake.

Then we spent the morning in the atrium (center of the ship down low) with half the ships passengers having a wonderful time talking and filming the waves crashing on the windows while the other half of the passengers stayed in their rooms.

The rough conditions only lasted a few hours and settled down when we reached the mainland as the captain hugged the coastline.

Take some ginger along too, to settle the stomach.

Do read the information on the packet to see how many tablets you can take.

1 hour ago, Sallyandtex said:

Thanks Chez. We must be nuts going in winter but the Dark Mofo seemed like a fun thing to do. Glad the location seems good now!

We have 2 days in Hobart with Mona included,  was just going to stroll and around and soak up the atmosphere. Any not-to-be-missed places we should pencil in?

We have done the Hoho bus on our first time there  http://www.reddecker.com.au/index.html then walked around Battery Point.

We have hired a car and driven to Port Arthur, and our last visit we did a great tour of the Penitentiary

https://www.nationaltrust.org.au/places/penitentiary/   which had great meaning for me as my 4th Grandfather came out on the convict ship Tortoise and did 10 years time in Tassie. 

Our next visit is in February for the day, havent decided what to do yet, but it might involve museums and a local pub haha!!

• Haha 1

On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 5:57 PM, Sallyandtex said:

Make sure you check out the winery and brewery atop of MONA. it is a nice way to finish a visit there before getting back on the ferry.

Checkout TripAdvisor for 'Things to do ' in Hobart and see what is of interest. I have been numerous times and still find many more things to investigate. 

Mt Wellington, Cascade Brewery, the Potato factory, botanical Gardens, Mona, Salamanca Markets, Battery Point, Mawson's Hut, etc

For Hobart's surrounds there is things/places like Richmond, Cygnet, Port Arthur, Tahune walkway, Geeveston, Bruny Island, etc.

2 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Checkout TripAdvisor for 'Things to do ' in Hobart and see what is of interest. I have been numerous times and still find many more things to investigate. 

Mt Wellington, Cascade Brewery, the Potato factory, botanical Gardens, Mona, Salamanca Markets, Battery Point, Mawson's Hut, etc

For Hobart's surrounds there is things/places like Richmond, Cygnet, Port Arthur, Tahune walkway, Geeveston, Bruny Island, etc.

Thanks Mic