Rome Civitevecchia cruise port to Fiumicino airport

ArdleyShip

Royal Caribbean's 'Jewel of the Seas' ship will dock at Civitavecchia Rome at 05:00 and begin process of disembarkation thereafter, with a 09:50 flight from Fiumicino airport and

transit taking about one hour we need to disembark at around 07:00. Is this a feasible scenario or just too tight?

There are boards here specific to Rome/Italy.  MANY very experienced travelers there...I'd say post your question there.  

We had a Civitevecchia to Fiumicino scenario on our very first cruise.  I'd be a bit scared about the timing you mention, but I think it's doable  I'd consider hiring a driver (yes, pricier.  I assume your early flight saves you some money, though).  Waiting for the ship's bus to get all loaded up with passengers would make me crazy that early.  We left on a 2pm flight ourselves, so using ship transport was not an issue.

I think it is way too tight.  I think you are underestimating transit, after debarking and claiming your luggage.  How much before your flight do you have to be checked in?  Isn't Bulgaria an international flight?  What's your plan B?  Now, if they started letting people off the ship at 0530 I might consider it, but not sure they would even be unloading luggage yet...EM

Edited by Essiesmom

We recently had an 11 am flight out of FCO.  We used the ship's airport transfer.  It was the Jewel by the way.  We were the first transfer group off the ship at 6:30 am (if memory serves).  We made FCO with plenty of time and probably could have made a 10 am flight.  We were also flying within the EU.  

A 9:50 flight does seem kind of tight.  But if everything is on schedule, you walked off as early as possible, and were on the road without delay, it seems feasible.   Cruise lines provide guidelines about earliest flights that should be booked for their transfers.  You might want to check just to see what they say, if for nothing more than a litmus test.   

I hope it works out for you.  

PS: Welcome to Cruise Critic.  

2 hours ago, ldubs said:

We recently had an 11 am flight out of FCO.  We used the ship's airport transfer.  It was the Jewel by the way.  We were the first transfer group off the ship at 6:30 am (if memory serves).  We made FCO with plenty of time and probably could have made a 10 am flight.  We were also flying within the EU.  

A 9:50 flight does seem kind of tight.  But if everything is on schedule, you walked off as early as possible, and were on the road without delay, it seems feasible.   Cruise lines provide guidelines about earliest flights that should be booked for their transfers.  You might want to check just to see what they say, if for nothing more than a litmus test.   

I hope it works out for you.  

PS: Welcome to Cruise Critic.  

A flight that early is possible but you should be at FCO by 7:30 (7 is better).  This means you need to arrange a private transfer and pay extra (most decent transfer companies will charge more for pick-ups prior to 7am).  Relying on the ship's transfer is very risky.  A ship transfer bus can sit around for an hour just to get one more passenger.  A private transfer will have your driver waiting to go (usually holding up a sign with your name) and will drop you at the proper terminal.  As to private transfer companies there are several decent outfits...but our personal choice is RomeCabs.com.  And it goes without saying that you should use Express Disembarkation which means you must drag all of your own luggage off the ship.

There are probably others on your cruise who also need a very early transfer and you can save substantial money by getting 1 or 2 other couples to join you.  Try posting on your CC Roll call and see if there are any "takers."

Hank

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

A ship transfer bus can sit around for an hour just to get one more passenger. 

Hank

I've lost count of the number of ship transfers we have used and have never sat waiting for pick up passengers.  I think most are pre-booked.   Not saying you have not experienced this.  I was just surprised based on my experience. 

Anyway, I agree that a private transfer has many benefits in this situation.  Sharing with others on the cruise is really a good idea.  Wish I had thought of that. LOL

Larry

2 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I've lost count of the number of ship transfers we have used and have never sat waiting for pick up passengers.  I think most are pre-booked.   Not saying you have not experienced this.  I was just surprised based on my experience. 

Anyway, I agree that a private transfer has many benefits in this situation.  Sharing with others on the cruise is really a good idea.  Wish I had thought of that. LOL

Larry

I was not talking about non-booked passengers.  But we have seen too many large buses, used for cruise line transfers, waiting for all booked passengers to fill the bus.  When you use a bus you are often at the mercy of the slowest passenger who "slow walks" off the ship, spends a long time seeking out their luggage, etc.  Of course private transfers also have their issues such as when a driver fails to show-up.  It has never happened to us, but it does happen.  At that point one must quickly move to "Plan B" which is usually a taxi :).

Bottom line is that there are some cruisers who just prefer to use everything sold by cruise lines and others that prefer to do their own thing.  We, obviously, fit into that latter category but do understand the strong attraction of leaving everything in the cruise line's hands.

Hank

18 minutes ago, ldubs said:

From my experience I must conclude that you are always the last one to show up - for whom everyone else has to wait.   Every ship transfer I’ve experienced (and the larger number I’ve seen waiting to fill up as I went by to get my own transfer) appears to wait until the bus is filled or, at least, until the slowest booked passenger finally drags himself  on.

• Like 1

We have gone in and out of Rome by ship many times.  Even using a car service - Romecabs.com I would not book a flight as early as you are suggesting.  Don't know what day of the week you are arriving?  Weekends schedules may be different.  Don't know where you are flying to from Rome.  I would suggest you contact the cruise line and ask what time they recommend you schedule a flight.  Good luck.

3 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I was not talking about non-booked passengers.  But we have seen too many large buses, used for cruise line transfers, waiting for all booked passengers to fill the bus.  When you use a bus you are often at the mercy of the slowest passenger who "slow walks" off the ship, spends a long time seeking out their luggage, etc.  Of course private transfers also have their issues such as when a driver fails to show-up.  It has never happened to us, but it does happen.  At that point one must quickly move to "Plan B" which is usually a taxi :).

Bottom line is that there are some cruisers who just prefer to use everything sold by cruise lines and others that prefer to do their own thing.  We, obviously, fit into that latter category but do understand the strong attraction of leaving everything in the cruise line's hands.

Hank

Aw, I understand.  Yep, we have had to wait for some slow pokes, including those who "forgot" to gather their luggage before coming to the bus.  But, I guess we have been lucky. No lengthy delays.  

We have done both ship and private transfers depending on the situation.   I think doing your own thing has a lot of advantages, especially with the situation the OP is addressing.   

3 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

From my experience I must conclude that you are always the last one to show up - for whom everyone else has to wait.   Every ship transfer I’ve experienced (and the larger number I’ve seen waiting to fill up as I went by to get my own transfer) appears to wait until the bus is filled or, at least, until the slowest booked passenger finally drags himself  on.

Huh, I'm not sure what in my comment would require you to draw the conclusion I'm last on board.  Please closely re-read my comment.   I don't think I've ever been on a ship transfer that wasn't pre-booked by the transferees.  I'm not saying it doesn't happen and if you say you have witnessed it, no problem as far as I'm concerned.   

Anyway, I think it fair to say the bus waits until the last pre-booked passenger boards.  Fortunately I've never experienced anything approaching an hour wait for that to happen.   Other than those occasions where folks had to go back for their luggage, we really haven't encountered any significant delays.  People file on, sit down, and the bus leaves.   Clearly our experiences are a lot different.       

On 6/4/2019 at 11:48 AM, ArdleyShip said:

Royal Caribbean's 'Jewel of the Seas' ship will dock at Civitavecchia Rome at 05:00 and begin process of disembarkation thereafter, with a 09:50 flight from Fiumicino airport and

transit taking about one hour we need to disembark at around 07:00. Is this a feasible scenario or just too tight?

What an amazing response, so fast, so detailed and full of good advice. Tnx Peeps!

Edited by ArdleyShip

• 2 weeks later...

I wish you luck and a fast track to make your flight. With the fastest private transportation available to you, still hope that nobody is texting or brushing their hair while driving and has a collision stopping a few lanes of the traffic.