Cuba Travel

Observer

12 hours ago, turtlemichael said:

I haven't been there but would love to go. The situations you report are all good reasons why dialogue should be kept open and Cubans exposed to cruise visitors.

Absolutely agree.In fact I loved the trip and these things made it more interesting.The last day I took off on my own.Not a problem and soon met a fellow who spoke excellent English who appreciated the fact I was handing out things to ordinary folk.Things like cakes of soap or taking them to the market and buying cooking oil.Simple things that often they went without.Stopped when I had used up all my tourist money.

• Like 1

Just received an email from SS stating that they will inform us of the revised Caribbean itinerary once everything is sorted out (my interpretation, not the exact wording). I infer, and probably hope, that this means same dates, different ports. Suits me! 

Unfortunately because of my wife’s job we couldn’t go on any cruise that stopped in Cuba so the new ban actually benefits us.  How?  Hopefully Silversea will come up with some new itineraries and destinations that interest us and work with her schedule next year.   As I had posted in another thread she has started intense two year post graduate  studies while still working her regular 40+ hour a week job so our time and opportunities are limited.  That said our hope for cruises that fit us better is tainted by knowing that means some, maybe many, fellow Silversea cruisers are now disappointed by the loss of what was a very attractive destination.   

My husband and I are booked on a Silversea cruise for Jan-Feb 2020 with multiple stops in Cuba.  I received an email from Silversea yesterday saying that there will be a new Caribbean itinerary shortly with NO stops in Cuba.  I wrote to my travel agent with my unhappiness with how Silversea is handling this, and that I have no interest in simply a Caribbean cruise.  If that is what this becomes I told her that I will cancel the cruise and expect a full refund (I have already paid in full for the cruise).   Very unhappy.

There's not much SS can do about the USA's decision. Seems to me they have responded quickly in the circumstances. What do you expect? 

Undoubtedly you will get a full refund if you don't accept the revised itineraries. 

Again, what on earth do you expect SS to do in these circumstances? 

If you are unhappy you should direct that towards the organisation that banned the Cuba stops. 

Edited by Tothesunset
  • Like 3

43 minutes ago, Tothesunset said:

There's not much SS can do about the USA's decision. Seems to me they have responded quickly in the circumstances. What do you expect? 

Undoubtedly you will get a full refund if you don't accept the revised itineraries. 

Again, what on earth do you expect SS to do in these circumstances? 

If you are unhappy you should direct that towards the organisation that banned the Cuba stops. 

I couldn’t agree more with respect to whom I primarily blame for this - the US President.  However, given how quickly Silversea sent out its decision to eliminate the Cuba stops, I don’t think they spent much time with their lawyers determining how best to handle the change in policy, if there was any way to protect their customers, and whether there was anything that could be negotiated in this regard.  I believe there is more that Silversea could have pursued, but I don’t think they made any effort.  I’m not saying that I’m certain they would have been successful, but they should have tried.

54 minutes ago, Sweetpea711423 said:

I couldn’t agree more with respect to whom I primarily blame for this - the US President.  However, given how quickly Silversea sent out its decision to eliminate the Cuba stops, I don’t think they spent much time with their lawyers determining how best to handle the change in policy, if there was any way to protect their customers, and whether there was anything that could be negotiated in this regard.  I believe there is more that Silversea could have pursued, but I don’t think they made any effort.  I’m not saying that I’m certain they would have been successful, but they should have tried.

I'm glad SS has made the sensible decision not to waste money on such a pointless exercise. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, jollyjones said:

I'm glad SS has made the sensible decision not to waste money on such a pointless exercise. 

I’m not sure why you assume this would be a pointless exercise.  This is, after all, a brand new policy, so there would be details that have to be worked out.  Input by the impacted constituency would, I believe, have some relevance.  As a US attorney, I do have some knowledge about how these kinds of things work.  Again, they might not be successful, but I would have appreciated their trying.  While this might not be important to you, it is to me - both with respect to going to Cuba, and with respect to how Silversea treats its customers.

I’m sorry for all impacted by these cancellations including the Cuban people.  My own Explorer voyage to Cuba was cancelled last year for different reasons.  At that time I considered the Cuban itineraries on the classic fleet, but none suited me.  I’m now glad that I’m not facing another cancellation.  

Just received details of the 22 Nov revised itinerary with onboard credit and a free shore excursion in every port.  As we havent been to some of the places on the itinerary will enjoy a cruise in the Caribbean and plan to visit Cuba from the UK.

Fort Lauderdale, day at sea, Grand Turk, San Juan, San Juan, Basseterre, St Kitts, Les Saintes, Bridgetown, 

Fort-de-France, St Johns'. Road Town, Tortola, day at sea, day at sea, Key West, Fort Lauderdale

Edited by seaquay
attachment not available

2 hours ago, jollyjones said:

Against the Orange Toddler? You're joking.

Actually there are other parts of the government that have to implement the rule and determine how to do it.  As long as, in the end, he is able to say that Cuba has been hurt by his decision, I don't think he cares much about the details.

Unless the courts or the Congress intervenes, this is a matter for the executive branch – especially OFAC in Treasury.   If the sanctions/measures were merely cosmetic to please POTUS, the anti--Cuban voters in South Florida would clearly make their displeasure loudly known.  I believe the fact that, to the best of my knowledge, all major cruise lines that use US ports have a suspended travel to Cuba implies that it is widely understood where this action will not be undone during the current administration. 

This is a huge mess for Silversea management and a great disappointment to guests who were looking forward to visiting Cuba.  I feel for them.   But I feel -- perhaps even more keenly -- for the many Cubans for whom the huge influx of cruise line tourists was a precious source of badly needed income.

Ditto Observer. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, seaquay said:

Just received details of the 22 Nov revised itinerary with onboard credit and a free shore excursion in every port.  As we havent been to some of the places on the itinerary will enjoy a cruise in the Caribbean and plan to visit Cuba from the UK.

Fort Lauderdale, day at sea, Grand Turk, San Juan, San Juan, Basseterre, St Kitts, Les Saintes, Bridgetown, 

Fort-de-France, St Johns'. Road Town, Tortola, day at sea, day at sea, Key West, Fort Lauderdale

That sounds like a fair offer, especially considering that SS had no control over the man-child's decision. 

Did they offer you a full cancellation refund if you didn't want to take the revised itinerary? 

I am booked on the November 22 cruise out of FLL and I too have flights etc which cannot be changed, so it does impact on me, particularly as it was booked purely for the visits to Cuba.  Worse, I am also on two preceding voyages and the ports now substituted for Cuba will replicate many of those on the two earlier sailings.

It is always dangerous to be critical with inadequate or no knowledge of the facts.  I know from a senior inside source that the cruise industry has been lobbying since April in an attempt to forestall Tuesday's announcement of the ban on travel to Cuba from the USA by cruise ship.

In my opinion, it is highly reprehensible to make critical comments about Silversea and their response to the situation, as made by a poster several days ago, who clearly came out with a knee jerk reaction and seemingly without knowledge of what had been going on behind the scenes.

I get extremely annoyed with such vituperative posts which appear too frequently on CC and neither inform nor contribute in any meaningful way to the matter in hand.

Proof that things were going on behind the scenes can be seen from the speed with which an alternative itinerary was published, because this could not be done at a moment's notice.

Kindest regards

Master Echo

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Master Echo said:

I am booked on the November 22 cruise out of FLL and I too have flights etc which cannot be changed, so it does impact on me, particularly as it was booked purely for the visits to Cuba.  Worse, I am also on two preceding voyages and the ports now substituted for Cuba will replicate many of those on the two earlier sailings.

It is always dangerous to be critical with inadequate or no knowledge of the facts.  I know from a senior inside source that the cruise industry has been lobbying since April in an attempt to forestall Tuesday's announcement of the ban on travel to Cuba from the USA by cruise ship.

In my opinion, it is highly reprehensible to make critical comments about Silversea and their response to the situation, as made by a poster several days ago, who clearly came out with a knee jerk reaction and seemingly without knowledge of what had been going on behind the scenes.

I get extremely annoyed with such vituperative posts which appear too frequently on CC and neither inform nor contribute in any meaningful way to the matter in hand.

Proof that things were going on behind the scenes can be seen from the speed with which an alternative itinerary was published, because this could not be done at a moment's notice.

Kindest regards

Master Echo

I assume you are referring to me as having made "vituperative" posts.  I actually find your characterization insulting.  I don't believe that I was being vituperative in the slightest.  I was unaware of anything being done by the cruise industry "behind the scenes."  It would have been useful if someone with knowledge of this, such as yourself, had posted this information earlier on this board.  But in any event, my view, and my disappointment, remains the same.  

Sweetpea711423

I note what you say, but unfortunately this was not the way it came across.

I have a busy life away from the CC boards and only read this  thread yesterday.  Be grateful that I bothered to post the information rather than criticise me for taking so long so to do.  Yet again you are pouring out negative remarks with inadequate information.

Kindest regards

Master Echo

11 hours ago, Master Echo said:

Sweetpea711423

I note what you say, but unfortunately this was not the way it came across.

I have a busy life away from the CC boards and only read this  thread yesterday.  Be grateful that I bothered to post the information rather than criticise me for taking so long so to do.  Yet again you are pouring out negative remarks with inadequate information.

Kindest regards

Master Echo

Well, I suppose we can agree to disagree.  But you might consider that you seem to be “pouring out negative remarks” about me in your comments.

So far? No information yet. 

The wind schedule between 27 Dec and 6 Apr sailings is not on the website. On MySilversea our 26 Mar Cuba itinerary remains unchanged

I'm not panicking yet but would be disappointed if things weren't clear by the end of this month. 

On 6/13/2019 at 3:43 PM, Tothesunset said:

So far? No information yet. 

The wind schedule between 27 Dec and 6 Apr sailings is not on the website. On MySilversea our 26 Mar Cuba itinerary remains unchanged

I'm not panicking yet but would be disappointed if things weren't clear by the end of this month. 

Talked to a Silversea PCC we’ve used in the past and asked about the revised Caribbean itineraries.  She said they were close to working out the details but she didn’t have an exact date other than “soon”.   My point of talking to her was specifically once the new itineraries were published what was the chance a change in the restriction would result in Silversea resetting the itineraries back to including Cuba.   Her unofficial position was that there were many pieces and parts like provision resupply, fueling, available port berths, etc., that have caused the delayed the announcement of new itineraries.   That once the itineraries are reset without Cuba it would be difficult to almost impossible to reset again.   Good news for those of us that don’t want to or can’t visit Cuba, bad news for those who want to and can visit Cuba.   

I've been checking in on the website regularly and a couple of revised sailings have now appeared. Our one-week Cuba sailing (Feb 17 2020) has now been rolled into a longer sailing down to the eastern Caribbean. Voyage number is different so our sailing hasn't been updated anywhere but it does suggest that the sailings won't necessarily transition to ones of similar duration. The new sailing is also more expensive. I'm in a holding pattern to hear what kind of offers to switch to something else we might receive before we cancel outright but glad we didn't buy plane tickets!

22 minutes ago, BeeMinor said:

I've been checking in on the website regularly and a couple of revised sailings have now appeared. Our one-week Cuba sailing (Feb 17 2020) has now been rolled into a longer sailing down to the eastern Caribbean. Voyage number is different so our sailing hasn't been updated anywhere but it does suggest that the sailings won't necessarily transition to ones of similar duration. The new sailing is also more expensive. I'm in a holding pattern to hear what kind of offers to switch to something else we might receive before we cancel outright but glad we didn't buy plane tickets!

For the life of me I can’t find any Caribbean cruise in February for Silversea on their website or any Internet agency.  Are you seeing the revision on MySilversea?   Mrs K has her class schedule for next year and I’m trying to find a cruise that somehow fits.   Maybe I’m looking in the wrong places. Grrr........

UPDATE:  Looks like if I search by ship I can actually see the new itineraries.   Still some big gaps in mid February to late March but at least it’s something to look at.   

Edited by Randyk47

5 minutes ago, Randyk47 said:

For the life of me I can’t find any Caribbean cruise in February for Silversea on their website or any Internet agency.  Are you seeing the revision on MySilversea?   Mrs K has her class schedule for next year and I’m trying to find a cruise that somehow fits.   Maybe I’m looking in the wrong places. Grrr........

Try searching by ship. You can access one of them by looking at the Wind's sailings and then click around to see a couple others. 

Screen Shot 2019-06-18 at 9.58.28 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-06-18 at 10.00.00 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-06-18 at 10.00.10 AM.png