Trump Administration announces suspension of all cruise ship travel to Cuba

Giventofly

Royal Caribbean has already changed all of their Cuba itineraries. Our 6-night Cuba with stops in Grand Cayman, Cienfuegos and Havana, Cuba has been re-routed to Key West, Cozumel and Costa Maya, Mexico. 

If you go to their website click on your cruise planner and see for yourself. 

Jonathan

Our Carnival cruise to Cuba is not until Aug. of 2020.  I am going to wait this whole mess out until Carnival officially cancels it.  Maybe everything will be resolved before it comes to that.  I choose to be an optimist!

Joyce

• Thanks 1

Our August Carnival Paradise cruise that was originally Cozumel and Havana is now Grand Cayman and Cozumel.   

Since we booked the original cruise at a pretty steep discount with a $50 on-board credit, and will now be receiving an additional $200 on-board credit we decided to just go as planned.   While it would have been my first choice for ship/itinerary, the price more than makes up for it.

Was going to cancel my cruise (I got bumped to Nassau blah) but props to Royal Carribean for making that impossible. 50% back in credit is more than fair and worth keeping everything in place. After seeing the different cruise responses, I might just stick with RC from now on. I have done 5 with Carnival, 1 Celebrity before and this was to be my first RC.

• Like 1

Was really looking forward to seeing Havana in Aug 2020 for my husband's birthday. But Carnival did offer a full refund. Instead of taking the money back, we transferred it to another cruise that we had booked. So that's something to keep in mind too.

19 minutes ago, CincyBoston said:

Was going to cancel my cruise (I got bumped to Nassau blah) but props to Royal Carribean for making that impossible. 50% back in credit is more than fair and worth keeping everything in place. After seeing the different cruise responses, I might just stick with RC from now on. I have done 5 with Carnival, 1 Celebrity before and this was to be my first RC.

Celebrity is owned by the same group as Royal Carribean

For folks who were re-routed to Nassau and said, "Blech," let me say that it is dirt compared to Cuba, so I agree. However, we did enjoy our excursion to Pearl Island the last time we went to Nassau. It's a coral reef island with a small beach and included lunch (really great food, IMHO) so it's for folks who want to relax in the sun or play on water toys like kayaks or floating foam "islands". Shade can be found. I'm just hoping to help someone make lemonade out of lemons. 

I am so sorry for all who are affected by this situation.

I am on the Norwegian Sun currently.  We found out that we were not going to Cuba around 8:30 Tuesday night.  We spent the past 2 days in Nassau.  Which is not where we wanted to be.  NCL has issued a letter stating we will get half our cruise fare back and half off a future cruise.  We really wanted to go to Cuba which is why we booked this trip but this does help soften the blow a bit.  

My FEB 2020 Carnival Sunrise cruise has been routed to Grand Turk and Amber Cove in the Dominican Republic.  We were supposed to stop in Havana and Nassau and both ports were changed.  No compensation since our date was far off.  We decided to stick with it due to the great fare we booked early in a spa balcony cabin.  All other cruises I was interested in are sold out for the cabins I like to book or significantly more in cost.  I'm disappointed but we will make the best of it.  

Hope it works out for all of you.  

We are so glad we had our Azamara cruise there in January with seven nights in Cuba. Our next cruise is on Seabourn which is owned by Carnival and when you sign into their site the first thing that pops up is that they have stopped all cruises to Cuba immediately. If you were booked because of Cuba I'm afraid you are out of luck. So sorry. It's a beautiful country with lovely people and lots of problems.

We were going to combine our March cruise to Cuba along with staying in Miami for a couple days then Key West after the cruise for a few days.  

I hate to say hold off on Miami and Key West entirely because of this. Even thinking things will change in a couple of years.

So we're just going to have to look for another 3-4 day cruise entirely for that March slot.

1 hour ago, GalCruzer said:

We were going to combine our March cruise to Cuba along with staying in Miami for a couple days then Key West after the cruise for a few days.  

I hate to say hold off on Miami and Key West entirely because of this. Even thinking things will change in a couple of years.

So we're just going to have to look for another 3-4 day cruise entirely for that March slot.

Don't give up on Miami Beach and Key West.   Lovely spots to visit.  I am sure you can find another cruise from Miami to fill in the slot you want.  

• Like 1

I just got off the Sensation that left June 3rd. Our stop to Cuba yesterday was changed to Cozumel. We found out Wednesday morning. Carnival gave everyone $100 on board credit. It was a big bummer! There were many unhappy, disappointed passengers on the ship.  😞

51 minutes ago, hippyman said:

I read that cruise lines can apply for permits to go to Cuba now so I'm keeping some hope for my August 2019 cruise.  Has anyone else heard about this?

The "People to People" category that was used by cruise lines to be able go to Cuba is not allowed anymore. Also cruise ships as a mode of travel to Cuba from the US is now banned.   Not sure what kind of permit would be applicable?

The lawsuit against Carnival for using "stolen" Cuban port facilities had another hearing this week. I believe Holland American has also been served. The suit seeks money damaged and an injunction against using the port facilities.

1 hour ago, Cienfuegos said:

The lawsuit against Carnival for using "stolen" Cuban port facilities had another hearing this week. I believe Holland American has also been served. The suit seeks money damaged and an injunction against using the port facilities.

Thanks for keeping us updated on this.

I imagine it's prominent news there in SoFla.

On 6/9/2019 at 8:59 AM, hippyman said:

I read that cruise lines can apply for permits to go to Cuba now so I'm keeping some hope for my August 2019 cruise.  Has anyone else heard about this?

Am curious,  I remember reading that Norwegian,  Carnival , and Royal Caribbean have already canceled the Cuba itineraries for the rest of 2019 .   Your cruise line still says it is going to Cuba?  MSC perhaps?

On ‎6‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 3:55 PM, ndabunka said:

I agree that what is going on in Venezuela is criminal.  My point was that Cuba is too poor to contribute much (if anything) to the GOVERNMENT of Venezuela for the same reasons you pointed out. Cuba NEEDS the cruise and travel business simply to support its OWN people. 

For our government to state that "somehow" millions of $s are flowing from Cuba to Venezuela is a insulting.  It's purely a political "scare tactic" based on a fake news narrative & YES, the cubans NEED the 1st-world $'s to pay for their food, not routing Hundreds (at most) to Venezuela

The Cubans are poor do to the Gov't spending $ to help Venezuela and other countries. To the Cuban Gov't the citizens are an annoyance.