Advice Needed for First Cruise

latebuyer

I was a little gung ho and went ahead and booked a Royal Caribbean cruise to Alaska. Now, I am having second thoughts as it goes to Tracy Arm and it seems like people are saying Glacier Bay is better for first time cruisers and a once in a lifetime experience. I am looking at switching to a short 3 day cruise from Vancouver to Seattle (i'm from Vancouver). I thought for a first time cruise it may be good to be on a short trip. On the other hand, it is a large ship (Ovation of the Seas) and not sure if it is better to be on a smaller ship for first cruise. Alternatively I could eat the $300 deposit and book a last minute holland america cruise as they seem to have cheaper last minute cruise. My only concern is i'm not sure if Holland America is older (i'm 47) although i'm not sure I really mind that. Also, i'm a solo cruiser if that matters. Help! Any advice?

Been to Alaska way too many times, both working cruise ships and as a pax and have only made it into Tracy Arm once. If an Alaska cruise is a once in a life-time, then I suggest that Glacier Bay is a must. Not only for the scenery, but also the Rangers, who board the ship. I've been in Glacier Bay well over 20 times, but am still one of the first out on deck.

The short 3 day re-positioning Vancouver to Seattle probably won't give you much of an accurate introduction to the huge variety of experiences available on cruise ships. Short cruises, especially on Carnival, RCI, NCL, etc are generally booze cruises. The cruise ships don't even transit Active Pass and all transits will be at night.

In Alaska, I suggest the scenery and attractions should be the primary focus, with the ship just a vehicle transporting you through the scenery. HAL & Princess have served Alaska the longest and in my opinion still provide the best Alaska experiences. Others will disagree, but I can qualify it by indicating while I worked for and cruised with Princess for almost 40 years, I will never step aboard one of their ships, but believe with HAL they provide one of the best Alaska experiences.

Suggest rather than doing R/T Vancouver, you look for a N'bd or S'bd between Vancouver & Whittier/Seward, as you can experience Prince William Sound and a pre/post cruise extension.

I'm an agent and I usually recommend Glacier Bay if possible, but that doesn't mean you'll have a bad time if you don't see it. Living in Vancouver, I'm sure you'll get the opportunity again. If and when you do go, consider Holland because they stay the whole day in Glacier Bay, not half a day (Princess may, too, not sure off the top of my head).

Your Royal cruise is probably 7 days, right? It's going to fly by. If you were talking about a 28 day cruise, I'd say yes, try a short cruise first, but 7 days is perfect.

As for bailing on Royal in favor of Holland, well, if it's saving you several hundreds, then go for it. A few bucks? Eh. You could also try calling Royal first to see if you can at least get a cabin upgrade for the price you paid. Holland may be cheaper but at the last minute it might offer less desirable staterooms than the one you have on Royal. I forget if Ovation has that giant pod on top that some Royal ships have, but if so that is pretty cool and may be worth staying for.

Don't worry about getting the perfect introduction to cruising. Just have a good time!

Ovation of the Seas is very new and one of the largest ships in the world and it is absolutely fabulous!  Do NOT switch.  It doesn't go to Glacier Bay but you will have plenty of opportunities to see other glaciers during your cruise and you can do another Alaska cruise sometime in the future in order to see Glacier Bay.  There is a ton to do and see in Alaska!  It definitely merits multiple cruises!  Ovation of the Seas has so much to do and see onboard that you will be spoiled for choice.  The shows are great!  The food is good to excellent.  I cannot think of any reason that makes sense for you to not go on this cruise!  

There seems to be some confusion that I would be on Ovation of the Seas. I would actually be on Serenade of the Seas. I'll have to think about this more as it seems like there is differing opinions. Its true since i'm from Vancouver I may go on an Alaskan cruise again.

Unless you can find a cheaper cruise, keep your reservation. You will be fine on the RCL Serenade of the Seas. 

As a first time cruiser, a 7-day cruise is a good way to find out if cruising is for you. And, to see what you may or may not like on a cruise ship. RCL, NCL, and CCL are the "budget" cruise lines. On the other end is Viking, Oceana, etc.

Do you like large ships with a lot to do, but are crowded? Or would you prefer small ships that are not as crowded, and have to keep yourself occupied? Do you prefer Budget Lines were everything is "extra", or is it worth it to you to pay extra for a luxury line where your get better food/service and most things are included? Do you prefer a cheaper inside cabin, or is it worth it to you to pay extra for ocean view, balcony, or more space (suite)?

The 7 day cruise on the Serenade of the Seas will give you a good benchmark to decide on future cruises. IMHO, unless cruising is not for you, you will enjoy the cruise. Once you figure out your preferences, you can decided what you are willing to pay for, and what you can live without.

Why did you pick an Alaskan itinerary?  To see Alaska, or simply to go on a cruise.  Alaskan cruises are all about Alaska...and not so much about the ship and it's "bells and whistle", unlike say, a Caribbean cruise.....

If you want to see Alaska, then pick a cruise that will go to what you'd like to see!

4 hours ago, cb at sea said:

Why did you pick an Alaskan itinerary?  To see Alaska, or simply to go on a cruise.  Alaskan cruises are all about Alaska...and not so much about the ship and it's "bells and whistle", unlike say, a Caribbean cruise.....

If you want to see Alaska, then pick a cruise that will go to what you'd like to see!

I agree. 

After having seen two glaciers on my recent cruise, I woulnd't think one experience was better than the other.

Dawes Glacier at the end of Endicott Arm

IMG_0315.JPG

Hubbard Glacier

IMG_0079.JPG

Edited by Sauer-kraut

• 2 weeks later...

I just did an Alaska cruise on Princess in August that went to Glacier Bay and it was beautiful. That said, Tracy Arm is the one I REALLY wanted to see but the one we did worked better for our dates, etc. I think what you have already booked is fine. The Serenity is a good size but not too huge as to be overwhelming. Most Alaska cruises have all the usual port stops so what will really matter is your choices of shore excursions and the ship/cruise line you are on doesn't matter a whole lot there because you can book private tours if you want and the excursions available through the cruise line are usually the same or similar for all of them...Go and have a great time whatever you decide. 

enhanceenhanceenhance

These pics were taken in Tracy Arms.  I have not been to Glacier Bay; but don't think Tracy Arms has nothing to offer.  It is breath taking just the same.  The naturalists are onboard telling you all about the glaciers and bay.

Edited by AF-1
added txt

I also prefer Glacier Bay to Tracy Arm. I don't think the size of the ship matters for your first cruise, especially if you are only planning a 3 day's cruise. Single or not, you will have a great time!