Barcelona - 6 hours recommendations / Advice

FLCruZar

Hi

Really short day in Barcelona. Arrive 1pm depart 7pm. I was thinking Sagrida Familia via taxi on arrival, purchase tickets for 2pm (or slightly later). Make are way to Gothic Quarter (probably taxi again) - wander for a bit in the area while making way back to cruise ship (taxi?). We could do an excursion from the ship, but ...  

Gaudi Tour - including some external viewings and Sagrida Familia inside

Gothic Quarter walking tour - a couple of hours with own your own time following

We are comfortable going out on our own, but want sure how much time would allow. 

Thanks

I think your plan makes more sense than either of the ship options.  Just need to be flexible on how much time you have in the Gothic Quarter.  Between the inside and outside of La Sagrada you could easily burn three hours there.  However, it is my choice if you only could visit one place in Barcelona.  We are planning for our third trip this year and La Sagrada is on our visit list for the third time.

BARCELONA DAY TOURS -MONTSERRAT AND CAVA WINERY FULL DAY TOUR

This was the perfect way for us to end our cruise in Barcelona!   Rather than worrying about trying to get off the ship with our luggage and taking a taxi to our hotel where it would be several hours before we could check in, Barcelona Day Tours came to our rescue.  The driver and our tour guide Eva met us at 8:30 am within fifteen minutes of our disembarking.  Our luggage was quickly loaded onto a comfortable Mercedes Van and the twelve people on our tour headed off to beautiful Montserrat.  Eva shared wonderful information with us about the history, culture, and language of the area as well as some helpful tips for traveling around Barcelona.  Montserrat is breathtaking and we had ample time to tour the cathedral, hear the renowned boys’ choir, eat lunch, and explore on our own.  Then we were driven to a small, historic Cava winery for an interesting tour and free wine tasting of three different Cava wines.  Our driver remained with the van so we felt confident that our luggage was safe. The entire day was a delight!  We were then driven to our respective hotels and aided in carrying in our luggage.  I highly recommend Barcelona Day Tours!  The tour was a great value and Dori was helpful with all my booking questions.

11 hours ago, evandbob said:

I doubt the OP can do a Montserrat tour in the hours quoted from 1pm to 7pm.

Right.  We also did Montserrat at the end of a cruise and it was a great tour.  That is not the case here.  The OP has to be back on board by 6:30.

On 6/4/2019 at 7:35 PM, FLCruZar said:

Hi

Really short day in Barcelona. Arrive 1pm depart 7pm. I was thinking Sagrida Familia via taxi on arrival, purchase tickets for 2pm (or slightly later). Make are way to Gothic Quarter (probably taxi again) - wander for a bit in the area while making way back to cruise ship (taxi?). We could do an excursion from the ship, but ...  

Gaudi Tour - including some external viewings and Sagrida Familia inside

Gothic Quarter walking tour - a couple of hours with own your own time following

We are comfortable going out on our own, but want sure how much time would allow. 

Thanks

You can book tickets online for Sagrada Familia which is easy to do. No time wasted standing in line.

• Haha 1

The OP's plan is what I would do as well.  Build your visit around Sagrada Familia, for sure.  Definitely try to take a taxi to and from the ship, as this will be fastest.  Spend as much time as you want at Sagrada Familia.  I think I spent 2-3 hours there the last time I was there.  Then, taxi to the Gothic Quarter if you have enough time to make it worthwhile.  Taxi back to ship when required.

Edited by MeHeartCruising
  • Haha 1

For the OP.  Your plan sounds good.  I didn't rush, I only went up the tower and then did an audio tour of the Basilica (and not the museum stuff) - but it took me less than 90 minutes.  This included me just sitting for a while to take in the beauty of the building.  

It depends on how much you like walking.  We like to walk when we travel.  

I would get your 2 pm ticket for the Sagrada. Get a taxi and  you may get there earlier and after locating where the queue is, I would have a look around the outside of the building. 

Option A) If you are doing well for time I  would then walk to Passeig de Gracia, past the lovely Gaudi houses La Pedrera and Casa Batllo.  You can get a taste of them from the outside.  Continue to Placa de Catalunya on foot.

Option B) Take a taxi to Placa de Catalunya. 

Walk down the  Rambla and then on to the Gothic Quarter (El Gotic).  Explore a little (Rick Steves has a nice audio tour that you may enjoy). 

If you have lots of time carry on your walk to Barceloneta.  If you get to the Christopher Columbus statue you might be able to find a shuttle back to the ship.  If things are getting tight, you can get a taxi whenever you need.  The taxi should only take about 20 minutes - always allow longer.  

6 hours on foot will let you experience lots of Barcelona.  If you take Option B and time is going well you might be able to fit in a single drink trip to a tapas bar - but only one drink because that is where the time is most easily lost!!!!    

Edited by ollienbertsmum
  • Haha 1

On 6/8/2019 at 7:53 AM, ollienbertsmum said:

For the OP.  Your plan sounds good.  I didn't rush, I only went up the tower and then did an audio tour of the Basilica (and not the museum stuff) - but it took me less than 90 minutes.  This included me just sitting for a while to take in the beauty of the building.  

It depends on how much you like walking.  We like to walk when we travel.  

I would get your 2 pm ticket for the Sagrada. Get a taxi and  you may get there earlier and after locating where the queue is, I would have a look around the outside of the building. 

Option A) If you are doing well for time I  would then walk to Passeig de Gracia, past the lovely Gaudi houses La Pedrera and Casa Batllo.  You can get a taste of them from the outside.  Continue to Placa de Catalunya on foot.

Option B) Take a taxi to Placa de Catalunya. 

Walk down the  Rambla and then on to the Gothic Quarter (El Gotic).  Explore a little (Rick Steves has a nice audio tour that you may enjoy). 

If you have lots of time carry on your walk to Barceloneta.  If you get to the Christopher Columbus statue you might be able to find a shuttle back to the ship.  If things are getting tight, you can get a taxi whenever you need.  The taxi should only take about 20 minutes - always allow longer.  

6 hours on foot will let you experience lots of Barcelona.  If you take Option B and time is going well you might be able to fit in a single drink trip to a tapas bar - but only one drink because that is where the time is most easily lost!!!!    

Perfect!  I will make notes of your suggestions and see what the time allow. 

• Like 1

On 6/6/2019 at 6:25 PM, Jeannie Handley said:

BARCELONA DAY TOURS -MONTSERRAT AND CAVA WINERY FULL DAY TOUR

This was the perfect way for us to end our cruise in Barcelona!   Rather than worrying about trying to get off the ship with our luggage and taking a taxi to our hotel where it would be several hours before we could check in, Barcelona Day Tours came to our rescue.  The driver and our tour guide Eva met us at 8:30 am within fifteen minutes of our disembarking.  Our luggage was quickly loaded onto a comfortable Mercedes Van and the twelve people on our tour headed off to beautiful Montserrat.  Eva shared wonderful information with us about the history, culture, and language of the area as well as some helpful tips for traveling around Barcelona.  Montserrat is breathtaking and we had ample time to tour the cathedral, hear the renowned boys’ choir, eat lunch, and explore on our own.  Then we were driven to a small, historic Cava winery for an interesting tour and free wine tasting of three different Cava wines.  Our driver remained with the van so we felt confident that our luggage was safe. The entire day was a delight!  We were then driven to our respective hotels and aided in carrying in our luggage.  I highly recommend Barcelona Day Tours!  The tour was a great value and Dori was helpful with all my booking questions.

Thanks for sharing this.  We have talked about this tour, but weren't sure if we could do it the day we get off the ship, or if we needed to wait till the next day.  Were all 12 from the ship?  Just seeing if all that luggage fit on the van.  It is great they dropped you off at your hotel that night.