Itinerary subject to change at cruise lines discretion!

rogerbid

4 minutes ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

Seems to me that if they are shooting tourists the safety concerns were real.  

Not sure I follow you?  The event I describe was LONG before the  tourist shooting.

So ... according to your logic, if a cruise line avoids a call in New York in 1997 due to "safety concerns" and 4 years later 9/11 happens, you are saying that cruise line was justified?

On 6/9/2019 at 6:39 AM, ontheweb said:

I think Rome is an even better example. And a port that I really thought we just did not have the time to see all we wanted to see was Stockholm.

I only disliked they tried to cram too much  in a tour. The hour bus ride one hour  each way was no big deal. We had no interest in going to the Vatican but every tour went there. Plus our tour guide  did not stop for shopping, he  said we could  souvenir shop at the Vatican get souvenirs. OMG, everything was Rosaries or had some sort of religious emblems on it outside of the cans of coca-cola,  bottles of water, or bags of chips.

27 minutes ago, momofmeg said:

I only disliked they tried to cram too much  in a tour. The hour bus ride one hour  each way was no big deal. We had no interest in going to the Vatican but every tour went there. Plus our tour guide  did not stop for shopping, he  said we could  souvenir shop at the Vatican get souvenirs. OMG, everything was Rosaries or had some sort of religious emblems on it outside of the cans of coca-cola,  bottles of water, or bags of chips.

IIRC, there are tours to Rome that are Rome on your own. You would not have to go to the Vatican. There are plenty of other things to see in Rome.

2 hours ago, ontheweb said:

IIRC, there are tours to Rome that are Rome on your own. You would not have to go to the Vatican. There are plenty of other things to see in Rome.

Not sponsered by the ship  back in 2012 and I was NOT doing  an unsponsered ship tour. No way did I want to miss boarding the ship  before it sailed. Rome is an hour from the ship port.  My Italian was not (still isn't) good enough, lol!  Now I would have been willing to do that in Venice since we overnighted there,  but we didn't need to as everything was easy to get to with a water bus pass. 

1 hour ago, momofmeg said:

Not sponsered by the ship  back in 2012 and I was NOT doing  an unsponsered ship tour. No way did I want to miss boarding the ship  before it sailed. Rome is an hour from the ship port.  My Italian was not (still isn't) good enough, lol!  Now I would have been willing to do that in Venice since we overnighted there,  but we didn't need to as everything was easy to weget to with a water bus pass. 

Our last Mediterranean cruise was in 2012. And there were definitely on your own tours for both Rome and Florence from the ship (NCL Epic).

We did the ship's Florence on your own. For Rome we just went, no ship tour or private tour. It was extremely hot that summer. The ship's bus to Florence was air conditioned. Coming back from Rome, we took the next to last train to give us a cushion to get back. It was packed, and extremely hot. And that was before  the fight broke out on the train.

When we got back from Florence, DW commented that maybe we should have paid the extra and taken the Rome on Your Own also.

On 6/10/2019 at 1:16 PM, cruisemom42 said:

Completely agree with this.

About 5-6 years ago, my parents and I were coincidentally booked on cruises on two separate cruise lines that were both calling on two ports in Tunisia either on the same day (one port) or one day apart (the second port).

My British-based small cruise line made both calls in Tunisia without any flurry or fuss whatever. My parents, who were on HAL, found letters on their beds upon embarkation saying that these two ports of call had been cancelled due to "safety concerns".

(And mind you, this was before the tourist shootings at the museum in Tunis.)

Just because nothing happened, did not mean that the cruise line did not have information about a possible event.

I was in a city one time, and we went into lock down.  The word was, there was a truck bomb driving around looking for a target.   

I don't know if there was one or not, there was not an explosion.  But I was happy that precautions were taken.

39 minutes ago, SRF said:

Just because nothing happened, did not mean that the cruise line did not have information about a possible event.

I don't believe, if that was the case, that only one cruise line would have that information and others would not. And what about any land travelers who might've been there?  There was no state-issued travel warning.

11 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Our last Mediterranean cruise was in 2012. And there were definitely on your own tours for both Rome and Florence from the ship (NCL Epic).

We did the ship's Florence on your own. For Rome we just went, no ship tour or private tour. It was extremely hot that summer. The ship's bus to Florence was air conditioned. Coming back from Rome, we took the next to last train to give us a cushion to get back. It was packed, and extremely hot. And that was before  the fight broke out on the train.

When we got back from Florence, DW commented that maybe we should have paid the extra and taken the Rome on Your Own also.

that was not offered in 2012 on our cruise

3 minutes ago, momofmeg said:

that was not offered in 2012 on our cruise

I'm sure it is was 2012 because the cruise was for our 35th wedding anniversary. 

What cruise line were you on? As I mentioned we were sailing on NCL.

15 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I don't believe, if that was the case, that only one cruise line would have that information and others would not. And what about any land travelers who might've been there?  There was no state-issued travel warning.

They may have had the same info, but came to a different decision.

And there are times when the groups issuing the travel warnings see things differently.

Some people are more conservative that others.