New Carnival Announcement regarding Cuba Cruises

Writerfl

I’m on the Sensation out of Miami on July 29th and they’ve replaced Cuba with Ocho Rios, Jamaica.  Jamaica isn’t one of my favorite places but I guess if we decide to go a beach is a beach.  The problem as many of you are finding, is the lack of other cruises to switch to!

Edited by arf2005
Addition

13 hours ago, April42749 said:

Would the "full refund" include non-refundable deposits?  It sounds like "yes".

Yes I just cancelled my 2 cabins .no need to go to Cozumel and grand Cayman in December.will be going there in August next year I'll just move my money to the other cruise.(not on carnival hence the refund)

I just got off the phone with Carnival. They let me take my deposit and apply it to my balance on my 2019 Conquest cruise, so I thought that was a nice gesture. That's what I was planning on doing with the refund anyways, since I haven't found another cruise to replace the Cuba one that I wanted to go on as of yet. I was on the phone on hold the first time I called for about 20 minutes. I hung up, and called back about 30 minutes later, and was on hold for about 10 minutes, so that wasn't too bad at all.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, naxer said:

I think Carnival is being fair from my point of view.  Overnight the government tells them they can't go to Cuba anymore.  What are they supposed to do?  They're offering OBC and full refunds.  They can't sell a stop in Cuba, so they're offering another stop or another sea day.  Take it or leave it.  (I'd take it if I were booked.)

Carnival is being fair .I had two cabins booked.im just glad they gave us the cancellation option.I took it and just cancelled that make you call twice ,the first rep gets your info then hangs up on you if you call back then they process your refund it happened just like someone else posted.20 minute hold a minute withe the rep they cut you off then you get to do it again.im on msc next summer so my money will go to them.

You can still go to Cuba - just not on a cruise ship and not on a People to People visa. You can still fly there and visit on a Support for the People visa and have a better and more in depth experience. You can still sightsee and buy all the cigars and rum you desire.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, NCTribeFan said:

It will be interesting to see what other cruise lines are offering their passengers.  This doesn't just affect Carnival you know!

I am so VERY GLAD that I went a couple of weeks ago (I just knew this would happen).  But also sad because I loved Havana so much I booked on Sunrise for next April.  Pretty sure I booked ES so, hopefully, they'll waive the penalty on that one because I certainly am not flying to FLL to take a generic Western 5-night sailing.

I know how disappointing this is for the other Americans who wanted to go to Cuba.  I had wanted to visit there all my life (mostly because I wasn't allowed to go) and it was everything I had hoped it would be.  This makes me very sad😥.

This compensation is crap. This is not a missed port. This is a destination cruise. All the lines used their oldest and smallest ships.The reason people paid a bunch on an old ship ,is solely bacon Cuba.

Royal is giving 50 back off fare. NCL is giving 50 % off fare. And Carnival ... a crap 100. 4 cabins, what a joke. And you can not cancel if you have airfare and hotels booked.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tinkr2 said:

This compensation is crap. This is not a missed port. This is a destination cruise. All the lines used their oldest and smallest ships.The reason people paid a bunch on an old ship ,is solely bacon Cuba.

Royal is giving 50 back off fare. NCL is giving 50 % off fare. And Carnival ... a crap 100. 4 cabins, what a joke. And you can not cancel if you have airfare and hotels booked.

Yep, correct. Not as easy as canceling as some think it is. I also have airfare booked to Tampa that is nonrefundable and my wife has her vacation time scheduled. The price paid is not worth those ports on old small ships. Royal has it right, Carnival does not. 

I feel for you guys and Carnival too. Hopefully everyone can figure out what works best for them. Remember to look at port Canaveral cruises if you're cruising out of Tampa. It appears the Havana cruises are significantly more so you could get a refund and book a cheaper cruise and use the difference to pay for additional transportation cost ie rental car/bus/uber to port Canaveral.

10 hours ago, loanshark said:

For cruises that far out, you are outside the final payment window at this point.  You could just cancel and re-book to get the lower price.

As long as they give me full refund for my deposit that is what we will do. 

Pat

6 hours ago, tinkr2 said:

I agree. When we sailed to Cuba last year we paid double of what we would of paid if we were just sailing to the Bahamas and THAT was for an inside .  we normally do Ocean view or balcony if we can but knew we  weren't gonna be in our room much so we just did the "Cheapest" cabin.

Pretty sure we ALL booked specifically for Cuba!

The cruiselines are using the small, old ships because those are the only ones that the sole restored terminal (out of 3 remaining) can handle.

Fares have been high because the demand has been high and there are only so many cabins on the old, small ships!  It's basic economics at play.

From the cruiselines' standpoint, it's just a port change.  Yes, it's unfortunate.  Yes, if you have nonrefundable airfare, it's very unfortunate!  Of course, you can still sail.  Or cancel and book a different cruise for that time frame if you can find one and pocket the difference.  No, it isn't "worth" it for a generic Western sailing but if you can't replace the cruise with something else, you're pretty much stuck!

Perhaps it's time to consider other lines!  I went to Cuba on MSC.  Has anyone heard what their refund/credit policy is?  Loved the old, small ship.  Loved the international flair of the whole experience.  Price was about the same for a 7-night sailing as other lines wanted for 5 nights. 

If you're unhappy, take your vacation dollars elsewhere in the future.  But it really won't matter to Carnival because there are plenty of entry-level cruisers to take your place.  Sad but true.

I'll just have my TA take my deposit and apply it to a future sailing that's already booked rather than refund it.

I got the email last night for my November 2019 cruise.  I know for a fact we are not going but just not sure if we are going to reschedule a different sailing or just take the deposit back and move on.

40 minutes ago, elcuchio24 said:

Good news: the stock didnt get dinged much by the news

Really???? On a day that the market went up over 200 points, Carnival stock was down 2.7% , Royal Caribbean down 3%, And Norwegian down 3.5%. It sounds to me like the cruise industry stick holders took a beating!

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Really???? On a day that the market went up over 200 points, Carnival stock was down 2.7% , Royal Caribbean down 3%, And Norwegian down 3.5%. It sounds to me like the cruise industry stick holders took a beating!

You think 2pnts is a beating?

7 minutes ago, elcuchio24 said:

You think 2pnts is a beating?

I think on a day that the market goes up over 200 points, that going down 2.7% is not what I would expect. And the other cruise stocks went down an even larger percentage. So in the context of the overall stock market gain, yes, I consider it a beating.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

I'll bet I'm not the only one reading this who has cruised to St. Petersburgh, RUSSIA.

Raises hand...was there on a baltic cruise a few years back.  Still not hit North Korea however...

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

You can still go to Cuba - just not on a cruise ship and not on a People to People visa. You can still fly there and visit on a Support for the People visa and have a better and more in depth experience. You can still sightsee and buy all the cigars and rum you desire.

Or be a Canadian and you can go whenever you want.

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

If they didn't sell their shares, they haven't lost anything.

We are booked on the Jan 20, 2020 5 day which was Half Moon Cay and Havana, Cuba. No notice from Carnival yet, but went into my Cruise Manager this morning and it is now showing this cruise as a 5 day Eastern Caribbean to Grand Turk and Amber Cove. No Cuba and no HMC. If this is what they offer with no compensation at all, I would cancel but we have already booked non refundable air fare. I don't understand the arbitrary December 2019 cut off for compensation, especially for a completely different itinerary.  If this is really true we will absolutely be looking at other options, probably other than Carnival.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm booked for June 2020.  I'm waiting to see the new itinerary and then I'll decide what to do. Considering they are refunding "payments in full" and it's a year in advance I don't have a problem with no OBC.  However, I do expect a price drop (I know I can cancel and rebook).  The only reason I booked this was for Cuba, so honestly, ports I've been to and ports I can go to all the time won't be much of an incentive.

So...I just logged in and my manager is showing almost the exact itinerary as the cruise I'm going on in a few day (less one port).  Going to cancel...........

Edited by April42749
ETA

16 minutes ago, April42749 said:

I'm booked for June 2020.  I'm waiting to see the new itinerary and then I'll decide what to do. Considering they are refunding "payments in full" and it's a year in advance I don't have a problem with no OBC.  However, I do expect a price drop (I know I can cancel and rebook).  The only reason I booked this was for Cuba, so honestly, ports I've been to and ports I can go to all the time won't be much of an incentive.

So...I just logged in and my manager is showing almost the exact itinerary as the cruise I'm going on in a few day (less one port).  Going to cancel...........

After seeing your post, I went to my Cruise Manager page too, as we have not heard anything yet for our 8/31/19 sailing date.  It is showing the itinerary change there now.  We are going to Grand Cayman looks like.

12 minutes ago, HUNNY BUN said:

After seeing your post, I went to my Cruise Manager page too, as we have not heard anything yet for our 8/31/19 sailing date.  It is showing the itinerary change there now.  We are going to Grand Cayman looks like.

I just canceled.  When I get back from the upcoming cruise I'll see what they offer, but I am retired and live right by the port (NYC...I mean walking distance to the port) so I only book so far in advance for "something special".  Very cruises offer "something special".

• Like 1

I am booked on the Sunrise for March 21, 2020.  Just checked and saw the itinerary changed from overnight Havana and Nassau to Amber Cove and Nassau with two sea days.  On a 5-night cruise.  At the same price.  I am speechless that they would consider Amber Cove to be a replacement for overnight in Havana.   $200 OBC does not even begin to compensate for the difference in this cruise.

I will not just cancel because I received a $200 statement credit from Amex for booking with Carnival and I don’t want to lose it.  So, I am changing to 7 nights from San Juan to St. Maarten, St. Thomas, St. Kitts, St. Lucia, and Barbados for an additional $39 per person.

• Like 2