New Carnival Announcement regarding Cuba Cruises

Writerfl

3 minutes ago, April42749 said:

I just canceled.  When I get back from the upcoming cruise I'll see what they offer, but I am retired and live right by the port (NYC...I mean walking distance to the port) so I only book so far in advance for "something special".  Very cruises offer "something special".

Thats a nice arrangement for you! Any interest in the TA from NYC on Legend June next year? Greenland/Iceland/Shetlands/Irelands/Dover....JUST saying....still might be some spots open. 

16 minutes ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

I am booked on the Sunrise for March 21, 2020.  Just checked and saw the itinerary changed from overnight Havana and Nassau to Amber Cove and Nassau with two sea days.  On a 5-night cruise.  At the same price.  I am speechless that they would consider Amber Cove to be a replacement for overnight in Havana.   $200 OBC does not even begin to compensate for the difference in this cruise.

I will not just cancel because I received a $200 statement credit from Amex for booking with Carnival and I don’t want to lose it.  So, I am changing to 7 nights from San Juan to St. Maarten, St. Thomas, St. Kitts, St. Lucia, and Barbados for an additional $39 per person.

My three night to Havana was changed to Nassau. It's still priced at what appears to be the same $409 for an interior. Two weeks prior, interiors are 189. For someone that booked at the current lead in pricing, the $100 onboard credit doesn't even bridge the gap to a normal short weekend cruise.  In what world is a 3 night cruise on Carnival to Nassau in November worth the minimum lead in pricing of 409 without being a last minute booking?

Edited by xDisconnections

12 minutes ago, xDisconnections said:

My three night to Havana was changed to Nassau. It's still priced at what appears to be the same $409 for an interior. Two weeks prior, interiors are 189. For someone that booked at the current lead in pricing, the $100 onboard credit doesn't even bridge the gap to a normal short weekend cruise.  In what world is a 3 night cruise on Carnival to Nassau in November worth the minimum lead in pricing of 409 without being a last minute booking?

What makes it worse is that RCI is offering 50% OBC for those booked through the end of 2019.  When I see what could have been done to make this right, it makes that $100 even more offensive.  

Those lowered RCI prices are available for new bookings - I am really tempted by a couple of them, I just hate to drive to Port Everglades.

• Like 2

Norwegian's Offer:

Sailings through and including September 2, 2019

Those guests currently sailing on Norwegian Sun who departed on June 3 as well as all guests booked on Norwegian Sky and Norwegian Sun cruises to Cuba through and including the September 2, 2019 departure will receive a 50% refund of the cruise fare paid as well as a 50% future cruise credit valid for sailings through December 31, 2021. Refunds for June 2019 and July 2019 sailings will be processed by June 30, 2019 while refunds for August 2019 sailings will be processed by July 31, 2019.

Refunds will be applied to the original form of payment. This process will be automatic and requires no action from you.

We apologize for the inconvenience caused by this unforeseen change and are protecting full commission for reservations that continue to sail on amended Norwegian Sky and Sun former Cuba sailings. Standard cancellation policies apply for those guests who choose not to sail. Visa fees arranged through Norwegian Cruise Line will be refunded and government taxes and fees will be adjusted accordingly. Any shore excursions purchased through Norwegian Cruise Line for Cuba will be automatically refunded and posted to your clients’ onboard account for June 3 departure or refunded to original form of payment for other sailings. Future Cruise Credits will be attached to your clients’ Latitudes profile and are fully commissionable at time of redemption as per our Company’s standard policy.

Sailings beyond September 2, 2019

Norwegian Sky and Norwegian Sun Cuba sailings beyond September 2, 2019 will be automatically cancelled. New itineraries will be announced in the coming weeks. Refunds will be applied to the original form of payment. Travel Partner commissions will be protected on all deposited bookings and will be distributed by June 30, 2019. For those guests impacted by these auto-cancellations, we are offering a 20% discount (off current cruise fare) on any new bookings on future sailings booked by August 5, 2019 and sailing no later than December 31, 2020. The discount will reside on guests’ Latitudes profile and can be applied by calling reservations at 1(800) 327-7030.

2 hours ago, ontheweb said:

I think on a day that the market goes up over 200 points, that going down 2.7% is not what I would expect. And the other cruise stocks went down an even larger percentage. So in the context of the overall stock market gain, yes, I consider it a beating.

I think all the cruise lines have had a rough year. many different reasons - but these stock are not for the short run. These are long term keepers and so it doesn't matter what happens as long as you are not buying or selling.

The whole Cuba thing is confusing from the get go - I get it people want to visit and see something different, but this is not a great place to go. Its not a free place and their citizens human rights are to say it lightly not up to our standards. I am surprised that in this community we are not all more upset it took so long to stop going and supporting the very people who suppress the citizens. We are trying to make the oceans better by banning plastics, lets make the world better and not support bad people. We should hold the cruise lines accountable for profiting of this.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, declansdad said:

If they didn't sell their shares, they haven't lost anything.

I can't argue with that, but still a significant drop when the market goes up 200+ points is significant.

Actually, there are people who have the stock as part of their IRA; they have lost money. 

We are scheduled for February 3, 2020 out of Charleston. I see today that Carnival changed the ports of call from Freeport to Nassau, and from Havana to Princess Cays. So, our Cuba cruise became a Bahamas cruise, and since we are booked in 2020 no on board credit either. I know it's not Carnival's fault, but it is disappointing that Havana is now going to their private island, and there is no discount in price, on board credit, free drink, or anything. We have been booked for this cruise for almost a year, and now we are having to decide what to do... cancel and figure something else out or go somewhere we've been many times before.

• Like 1

I'm currently sitting in Cozumel on the Carnival Sensation as a Platinum guest and extremely disappointed.  For a Cuba cruise that was purchased at a premium, the compensation Carnival is offering seems wholly inadequate. The Havana port call is the only reason 90% of the guests are  on this cruise.  We could have easily taken a 7 day cruise that included the two ports we have visited (plus another) at 20% less cost. Many on the ship feel the same way. And now the compensation pales in the face of what Norwegian is offering their guests.  Come on Carnival...treat your guests with some dignity!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

I am booked on the Sunrise for March 21, 2020.  Just checked and saw the itinerary changed from overnight Havana and Nassau to Amber Cove and Nassau with two sea days.  On a 5-night cruise.  At the same price.  I am speechless that they would consider Amber Cove to be a replacement for overnight in Havana.   $200 OBC does not even begin to compensate for the difference in this cruise.

I will not just cancel because I received a $200 statement credit from Amex for booking with Carnival and I don’t want to lose it.  So, I am changing to 7 nights from San Juan to St. Maarten, St. Thomas, St. Kitts, St. Lucia, and Barbados for an additional $39 per person.

I have done that same itin, you will have a blast!

Norwegian upped their offer again:

CUBA TRAVEL POLICY UPDATE #3 June 6, 2019 10:00 AM ET (2:00 PM UTC)

On June 4, 2019, the United States government announced new and immediate travel restrictions to Cuba. As a result, we have ceased all calls to the country and are modifying previously scheduled sailings as appropriate. We share your disappointment and frustration caused by this unexpected change. Like you, we were surprised by this sudden modification to policy. We thank you for your patience and continued support as we navigate through this recent development. Guests who booked Cuba sailings with us will be contacted very shortly with a detailed communication. Please bear with us as we carefully work through each sailing.

Guests booked on cruises to Cuba through September 2, 2019 have two options:

• Sail the revised itinerary and receive a 50% refund of the cruise fare paid as well as a 50% future cruise credit valid through December 31, 2020.
• Cancel the booking and receive a full refund. If guests choose this option, we must be notified no later than June 11, 2019, midnight EST.

Sailings beyond September 2, 2019 will be automatically cancelled and refunds will be applied to the original form of payment. Guests impacted by these cancellations are offered a 20% discount off current cruise fares on any new voyages booked by August 5, 2019 for sailings no later than December 31, 2020.

We are so very sorry for this last-minute change but we do look forward to welcoming you on board again soon and providing an exceptional vacation experience. With our world-class team, our innovative fleet and over 300 destinations to visit, we know you will have the vacation of a lifetime no matter the destination.

On 6/5/2019 at 10:26 AM, meanjean80 said:

I am on the Paradise this Saturday.  In our case, we chose this cruise because the length, travel date, and departure port worked for us, so we're not really upset. Since Carnival is allowing folks to cancel, my fingers are crossed for a really uncrowded ship!

We are also on this Saturday and chose this cruise for the exact same reasons. I too am hoping for an uncrowded ship, just makes things better. 

22 minutes ago, GA Dave said:

Norwegian upped their offer again:

CUBA TRAVEL POLICY UPDATE #3 June 6, 2019 10:00 AM ET (2:00 PM UTC)

On June 4, 2019, the United States government announced new and immediate travel restrictions to Cuba. As a result, we have ceased all calls to the country and are modifying previously scheduled sailings as appropriate. We share your disappointment and frustration caused by this unexpected change. Like you, we were surprised by this sudden modification to policy. We thank you for your patience and continued support as we navigate through this recent development. Guests who booked Cuba sailings with us will be contacted very shortly with a detailed communication. Please bear with us as we carefully work through each sailing.

Guests booked on cruises to Cuba through September 2, 2019 have two options:

• Sail the revised itinerary and receive a 50% refund of the cruise fare paid as well as a 50% future cruise credit valid through December 31, 2020.
• Cancel the booking and receive a full refund. If guests choose this option, we must be notified no later than June 11, 2019, midnight EST.

Sailings beyond September 2, 2019 will be automatically cancelled and refunds will be applied to the original form of payment. Guests impacted by these cancellations are offered a 20% discount off current cruise fares on any new voyages booked by August 5, 2019 for sailings no later than December 31, 2020.

We are so very sorry for this last-minute change but we do look forward to welcoming you on board again soon and providing an exceptional vacation experience. With our world-class team, our innovative fleet and over 300 destinations to visit, we know you will have the vacation of a lifetime no matter the destination.

So what?

If company can do what they want. Obviously Carnival has thought this our and feel that this decision works for them.

2 hours ago, SCCruisers said:

We are scheduled for February 3, 2020 out of Charleston. I see today that Carnival changed the ports of call from Freeport to Nassau, and from Havana to Princess Cays. So, our Cuba cruise became a Bahamas cruise, and since we are booked in 2020 no on board credit either. I know it's not Carnival's fault, but it is disappointing that Havana is now going to their private island, and there is no discount in price, on board credit, free drink, or anything. We have been booked for this cruise for almost a year, and now we are having to decide what to do... cancel and figure something else out or go somewhere we've been many times before.

My thought, exactly SCCruisers!  We are booked on the same cruise, 2/3/2020.  We JUST DID the Nassau/Princess Cay itinerary this past February, so won't likely want to do it again!  If we still qualified for the 100 dollar OBC per person (like the 2019 cruisers are getting), I would consider it, though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stick93 said:

I think all the cruise lines have had a rough year. many different reasons - but these stock are not for the short run. These are long term keepers and so it doesn't matter what happens as long as you are not buying or selling.

The whole Cuba thing is confusing from the get go - I get it people want to visit and see something different, but this is not a great place to go. Its not a free place and their citizens human rights are to say it lightly not up to our standards. I am surprised that in this community we are not all more upset it took so long to stop going and supporting the very people who suppress the citizens. We are trying to make the oceans better by banning plastics, lets make the world better and not support bad people. We should hold the cruise lines accountable for profiting of this.

first paragraph: 1000% yes, second part 1000% yes. 

Well, since my booking is in 2020 and we get nothing except a refund, I'll be cancelling.  Even MSC is giving way more compensation than Carnival (something like $400 refundable OBC).

Almost makes me wish I'd done Carnival to Cuba last month and had the MSC booked for next spring.  I'd come out way ahead!  Oh well.  I keep saying I'm pretty much done with them and then I keep booking cruises but I'm most definitely looking at other lines to replace the April sailing.

I went to Cuba because I'd always wanted to and had not been able to go.  This isn't the 1950s or 1960s.  The people in Havana were very nice and although we got mildly lost and wandered through some rough-looking areas, we never felt the least bit concerned about our safety.  Can't say I would've felt that way anywhere in the states!  The Cuban people aren't "bad" people.  So, it's a Communist government.  Don't see the current administration restricting our travel to Russia (which has MUCH MORE influence on the rest of the world than does Cuba).

Right.  Done with this thread.  Said everything that I need to say.  Once again, feel really bad for those who didn't get to visit Havana.  It was everything I hoped it would be and I was really looking forward to going again.

Edited by NCTribeFan
  • Like 3

That changed mine from Key West and Cuba to Nassau and amber cove,.    But at the same price and no credits due to 20-20 booking, ???? Then when I call and try to change from one 5 day booking to another 5 day on a much lower priced ship, that want an additional $50 deposit, instead of transferring my booking number from one ship to the  other as was promiced, they want to cancel and re-book instead, thus adding a higher deposite because there is no current half off deposit sale? This should just be MOVING my deposit, not a New deposit, Cancel, Cancel, Cancel....!!!!, Tearable Customer service Carnival, I'm not happy at all.

4 minutes ago, ragen said:

That changed mine from Key West and Cuba to Nassau and amber cove,.    But at the same price and no credits due to 20-20 booking, ???? Then when I call and try to change from one 5 day booking to another 5 day on a much lower priced ship, that want an additional $50 deposit, instead of transferring my booking number from one ship to the  other as was promiced, they want to cancel and re-book instead, thus adding a higher deposite because there is no current half off deposit sale? This should just be MOVING my deposit, not a New deposit, Cancel, Cancel, Cancel....!!!!, Tearable Customer service Carnival, I'm not happy at all.

Demand a manager. They will fix. 

• Like 1

I saw a post in industry rag that implied that since the major cruise lines used older mid sized ship to go to Cuba that it would open the secondary market for older ship sales.  It will be interesting to see how that plays with Carnival older ships and not enough ports for all of them to go to with the removal of this key port.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

I saw a post in industry rag that implied that since the major cruise lines used older mid sized ship to go to Cuba that it would open the secondary market for older ship sales.  It will be interesting to see how that plays with Carnival older ships and not enough ports for all of them to go to with the removal of this key port.

Its not like Carnival had ships going to Havana every day, so I don’t think this will have a big impact on Carnival. What I do wonder about is how many new ships can Carnival bring online without retiring/selling their older ships

5 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Its not like Carnival had ships going to Havana every day, so I don’t think this will have a big impact on Carnival. What I do wonder about is how many new ships can Carnival bring online without retiring/selling their older ships

True, but a hot market can be good for all.  They would be ecstatic to get a “good price” on a Fantasy class ship.  

14 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

I agree Jimbo. I thought putting Sunrise out of NYC and having alot of Cuba cruises was a great business play. Much less appealing if they focus on FL/Bahamas roudtripers.....maybe they can stick with New England and longer Carribean roundrips. We shall see. 

1 hour ago, ragen said:

My experience was quite different.  I emailed my PVP with info for the cruise I wanted to transfer to, down to the cabin number I wanted.  I received a response and an updated invoice within hours.  The booking number remained the same and all that I had paid (about 2/3 of the total due) was transferred.  The only odd thing is that there was a $50 per person “guest admin fee” added under “ miscellaneous charges”.  My PVP stated in his email that it was going to be removed by the end of his workday.

3 hours ago, declansdad said:

So what?

If company can do what they want. Obviously Carnival has thought this our and feel that this decision works for them.

It's to Carnival's advantage  to also be thinking what works for their (future?) guests. 

I had the same issue.  When John Bolton announced the changes to Cuba travel back on 4/17/19, I called my PVP to book another cruise (glad I did) and was also charged a $50 per person "guest admin fee."   I called Carnival and got the charge refunded.  My only issue now is getting United to change my flight without paying $$$ - doubtful that will happen! (going out of Miami instead of Tampa).

We booked out of Charleston and have had Havana and Key West replaced with Nassau and Princess Cays.  I imagine the price will decrease at some point as a Bahamas cruise doesn't exactly generate the same demand as a Cuba cruise did.  I really want to keep this cruise due to convenience, but if they don't budge on the price, we might be forced to change or cancel.