New Carnival Announcement regarding Cuba Cruises

Writerfl

19 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

You can still go to Cuba - just not on a cruise ship and not on a People to People visa. You can still fly there and visit on a Support for the People visa and have a better and more in depth experience. You can still sightsee and buy all the cigars and rum you desire.

Exactly,   If you did the tour with Blexie in Cuba, that would qualify for 1 day of People to people.  I was lucky and just got back from Cuba a week ago,  (2nd trip)  Will fly in and stay for 3 or 4 days and see more of the island. 

22 hours ago, SCCruisers said:

We are scheduled for February 3, 2020 out of Charleston. I see today that Carnival changed the ports of call from Freeport to Nassau, and from Havana to Princess Cays. So, our Cuba cruise became a Bahamas cruise, and since we are booked in 2020 no on board credit either. I know it's not Carnival's fault, but it is disappointing that Havana is now going to their private island, and there is no discount in price, on board credit, free drink, or anything. We have been booked for this cruise for almost a year, and now we are having to decide what to do... cancel and figure something else out or go somewhere we've been many times before.

We were on the same itinerary for the Feb. 17th sailing and have also been switched to Nassau and Princess Cays. Comparable Bahamas cruises (same time frame, same embarkation port) cost less than what we paid for the Cuba cruise. A little OBC or some drink coupons would have been nice to compensate for the price difference. 

I doubt we'll cancel - we booked this specific week to celebrate my husband's birthday. We also already have an Airbnb booked & paid for in Charleston for a couple nights before the cruise. 

Overall,  I am just so bummed about not going to Cuba. 

I was booked on the Sunrise from FLL to Cuba FEB 2020 and received no compensation for the change in ports.  They even swapped out Nassau.  Our new ports are Amber Cove and Grand Turk for a 5 night cruise.  We are not beach people and both of those ports sound a little boring outside of baking in the sun with sand up your butt.....lolol.  We will go and make the best of it though and I will start researching the new ports for something to do.  I checked into other cruises and they are all much higher rates and the cabins I like to book aren't avalable.  

We were surprised and disappointed last evening when we got an email from CCL telling us our Cuba/Key West Oct 12, 2020 from Charleston had an itinerary changed.

I understand the Cuba cancellation BUT they also took away Key West .. and gave us Princess Cay and NASSAU.

Come on ... Nassau STINKS .  Almost every other cruise out of Charleston goes to Nassau.   Princess Cay and Key West would have been fine

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Ffej207 said:

We booked out of Charleston and have had Havana and Key West replaced with Nassau and Princess Cays.  I imagine the price will decrease at some point as a Bahamas cruise doesn't exactly generate the same demand as a Cuba cruise did.  I really want to keep this cruise due to convenience, but if they don't budge on the price, we might be forced to change or cancel.

We are booked out of Charleston as well....10 cabins in 09/20.  All of us seasoned cruisers with Cuba and convenience being the only reason we booked this cruise.  I have no desire to go to Nassau AGAIN especially at the premium rate charged for this cruise.  I like you will be keeping a watchful eye on the price.         

1 hour ago, summersigh said:

We were surprised and disappointed last evening when we got an email from CCL telling us our Cuba/Key West Oct 12, 2020 from Charleston had an itinerary changed.

I understand the Cuba cancellation BUT they also took away Key West .. and gave us Princess Cay and NASSAU.

Come on ... Nassau STINKS .  Almost every other cruise out of Charleston goes to Nassau.   Princess Cay and Key West would have been fine

I totally agree....Nassau STINKS!  

4 hours ago, sjmbruce said:

We were on the same itinerary for the Feb. 17th sailing and have also been switched to Nassau and Princess Cays. Comparable Bahamas cruises (same time frame, same embarkation port) cost less than what we paid for the Cuba cruise. A little OBC or some drink coupons would have been nice to compensate for the price difference. 

I doubt we'll cancel - we booked this specific week to celebrate my husband's birthday. We also already have an Airbnb booked & paid for in Charleston for a couple nights before the cruise. 

Overall,  I am just so bummed about not going to Cuba. 

If I were you I would be calling Carnival and pointing out the fact of the comparable Bahamas cruise for less price....If you don't ask you don't get.  It's worth a shot! 

14 hours ago, jdemps said:

I was booked on the Sunrise from FLL to Cuba FEB 2020 and received no compensation for the change in ports.  They even swapped out Nassau.  Our new ports are Amber Cove and Grand Turk for a 5 night cruise.  We are not beach people and both of those ports sound a little boring outside of baking in the sun with sand up your butt.....lolol.  We will go and make the best of it though and I will start researching the new ports for something to do.  I checked into other cruises and they are all much higher rates and the cabins I like to book aren't avalable.  

from what i read amber cover isnt neccessarily a beach port, you can do the waterfall tours in the rainforest, highly reccomended

11 hours ago, summersigh said:

nassau is what you make of it. Have you done a day pass at a hotel? All you can eat/drink/watersports and relax between the ocean and pool. isnt that what vacaitons are about?

So glad we did the Carnival Paradise Cuba cruise last year. We did have a Holland America Authentic Cuba cruise with two Cuba stops booked for Oct. 30th. I called HAL first thing the morning after they posted the options for dealing with this Cuba cruise. Choices were keep the cruise with a new itinerary without Cuba,  book another cruise on HAL, put the total fare towards a future cruise credit, or cancel with a full refund (including non-refundable deposit). We chose to cancel with a full refund as we had already been to Cuba and we have another HAL cruise already booked for Dec. 1st. Smooth cancellation with no questions asked or pressure to keep the booked cruise with a new itinerary or book a new cruise. Very happy with how HAL handled this unfortunate turn of events.

18 hours ago, summersigh said:

I was in a similar situation with a cruise going to Cuba. I got an email from Carnival, which said I could cancel the cruise with a full refund, even though I booked it with an ES fare. This was confirmed when I called Carnival. I would assume the same applies to your cruise. If so, I don’t see how you can fault Carnival for something beyond their control. 

• Like 1

I was on one out of Charleston that was affected and opted to switch to a different ship/itinerary because I wasn't going to pay the price they charged for Cuba for Bahamas.  Our cruise was in 2020 and while I somewhat agree that 2019 cruisers were affected more there isn't a whole lot of difference between Dec of 2019 cruises and Jan of 2020 and feel that Carnival should have given the OBC to everyone.  When I called to switch the person who took my call in fact told me right away that I would get $50 OBC pp.  I didn't question it but was kind of pissed when she called back 2 hours later and told me she had to remove it.  Seriously?  I could have taken my entire cruise fare and gone to another line which was a possibility since we cruise on several others.  I feel they should have chalked it up to a mistake and let us keep it.  I wasn't going to argue with her over $100 but after what some of the other cruise lines gave their affected passengers felt they should have just eaten it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I was in a similar situation with a cruise going to Cuba. I got an email from Carnival, which said I could cancel the cruise with a full refund, even though I booked it with an ES fare. This was confirmed when I called Carnival. I would assume the same applies to your cruise. If so, I don’t see how you can fault Carnival for something beyond their control. 

I don't fault any of the cruise lines however Carnival switched out some good ports for some crappy ones.  People who had Key West and Cuba now have Bahamas only.  

We rebooked as well. Substituting half moon cay and adding freeport to our dec 14th cruise which already had nassau as a stop after havanna just wasnt going to do. Was hoping for a overnight Havanna to overnight San juan switch but that didnt happen. After change, still on Sunrise. Boarding a month earlier but going to grand caymen and Jamaica and still maintained the same class of cabin. Lost my 50$ credit from Cuba cruise which I dont think i should have lost. The process was smooth and Carnival also waived an administration fee, whatever amount that was. Was able to break even changing flights, that i bought 2 days before ban LOL.

In the meantime hopefully Cuba gets its ducks in a row. We will get there eventually. Just have to take a different approach.

It just seemed like there wasn't any effort to replace a really cool cruise with something cooler than Nassau. In 2020 Charleston October thru December there are NO cruises that don't go to Nassau. We're thrilled to have the Sunshine - our favorite - but variety in itineraries would be welcome.

2 hours ago, fergusonvt said:

I don't fault any of the cruise lines however Carnival switched out some good ports for some crappy ones.  People who had Key West and Cuba now have Bahamas only.  

We experienced the same type of change to our booking. Our Key West and Cuba itinerary was changed to three ports in the Bahamas and two sea days. We paid a higher cruise rate for the Cuba itinerary so this change just wasn't something that interested us. If we had wanted a Bahamas only cruise, we could have booked one at a better rate. We were very pleased with the options Carnival allowed as well with how quickly they were in getting itineraries and bookings adjusted or refunded, opted for the full refund and there was no attempt to dissuade us otherwise.   

Edited by Florida Paesano

On 6/6/2019 at 1:17 PM, Smatth said:

I'm currently sitting in Cozumel on the Carnival Sensation as a Platinum guest and extremely disappointed.  For a Cuba cruise that was purchased at a premium, the compensation Carnival is offering seems wholly inadequate. The Havana port call is the only reason 90% of the guests are  on this cruise.  We could have easily taken a 7 day cruise that included the two ports we have visited (plus another) at 20% less cost. Many on the ship feel the same way. And now the compensation pales in the face of what Norwegian is offering their guests.  Come on Carnival...treat your guests with some dignity!

To all the people saying that the offer from carnival is was fair, maybe it is to someone who has the cruise booked in the future. Like Smatth , I was also on the 6/3 sailing on the CCL Sensation, we had zero choice in the matter, we were already on board, paid in full, and pulling into Grand Cayman when the announcement came. We had no options to cancel, change itineraries, or anything. Now with what Norwegian and RCL have done it is a complete slap in the face......

Edited by mturturro
  • Like 2

On 6/8/2019 at 2:22 PM, mturturro said:

To all the people saying that the offer from carnival is was fair, maybe it is to someone who has the cruise booked in the future. Like Smatth , I was also on the 6/3 sailing on the CCL Sensation, we had zero choice in the matter, we were already on board, paid in full, and pulling into Grand Cayman when the announcement came. We had no options to cancel, change itineraries, or anything. Now with what Norwegian and RCL have done it is a complete slap in the face......

I 100 percent agree with you. Its a slap all right.

On 6/8/2019 at 2:22 PM, mturturro said:

It does sound like Carnival is doing much less for future cruises affected than Norwegian or Royal Caribbean, but I'm not sure what they could have done for cruises that had already started. All of a sudden the ban was complete. It obviously allowed them no time to plan. Didn't the original wording of the ban allow for those already booked to complete their visits? And then all of a sudden it not only did not for the future but also for those like you already aboard.

I guess they could have given more in OBC or refunds, but itinerary wise, there was not much they could do.

On 6/8/2019 at 1:22 PM, mturturro said:

I can't like this enough. I will be emailing carnival customer service as well. Did you get your survey? Let's just say it wasn't a good one they were going to be happy to receive! I did really enjoy the crew and CD (think my 13 year old son has a crush on Erin) and the 2nd comedian and our room steward and the dining room crew...but I would NOT have spent the money to stay on this cruise if given the option if the change had happened before we sailed.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, monykalyn said:

I can't like this enough. I will be emailing carnival customer service as well. Did you get your survey? Let's just say it wasn't a good one they were going to be happy to receive! I did really enjoy the crew and CD (think my 13 year old son has a crush on Erin) and the 2nd comedian and our room steward and the dining room crew...but I would NOT have spent the money to stay on this cruise if given the option if the change had happened before we sailed.

Any scores less than a 10 on Carnival’s survey responses through Medallia are considered the same as a zero.

Edited by xDisconnections

Okay here goes (donning bulletproof full body armor).  

1. The law changed. Have to follow laws. We have to, and Carnival has to, and if we break them it needs to be in a way where no one gets caught which is probably unlikely for a big whale tailed vessel recognizable to the whole world. Thinking no one would want to be taken into custody after arriving back on home soil. That might lead to some complaints. Maybe also to some bad reviews detailing what we think “should” have happened. Even from passengers who freely admit it was an otherwise good voyage.

2. If you were already aboard or on maybe the next sailing the situation was little different than any cancelled port which can happen on any cruise and is not the primary expense being covered: food, wages, fuel and other utilities are actually most of what we are paying for. 

3. For those unhappy with the choice of canceling with a full refund or staying with the offered credit, confused about the complaint with alternative port and credit. If you hate the alternative port would you like it better if you got 50% back like RC? Because if so this is now about feeling you deserve more compensation for a cruise that provides almost the same stuff as the original, than about visiting a different port. If you hate the terrible alternative port, then no amount of credit turns it into a magical fairy dust location. Or does it? Seems an easy choice. You hate the new itinerary. Don’t go. Why waste your vacation on something you dislike so much? Cancel and take the refund and do something different.

4. Gear is on so go ahead and chuck the spears, man the torpedo and fire at will.

5. Civilians please take cover as things may get messy.

Edited by KmomChicago
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, KmomChicago said:

Okay here goes (donning bulletproof full body armor).  

1. The law changed. Have to follow laws. We have to, and Carnival has to, and if we break them it needs to be in a way where no one gets caught which is probably unlikely for a big whale tailed vessel recognizable to the whole world. Thinking no one would want to be taken into custody after arriving back on home soil. That might lead to some complaints. Maybe also to some bad reviews detailing what we think “should” have happened.

2. If you were already aboard or on maybe the next sailing the situation was little different than any cancelled port which can happen on any cruise and is not the primary expense being covered: food, wages, fuel and other utilities are actually most of what we are paying for. 

3. For those unhappy with the choice of canceling with a full refund or staying with the offered credit, confused about the complaint with alternative port and credit. If you hate the alternative port would you like it better if you got 50% back like RC? Because if so this is now about feeling you deserve more compensation for a cruise that provides almost the same stuff as the original, than about visiting a different port. If you hate the terrible alternative port, then no amount of credit turns it into a magical fairy dust location. Or does it? Seems an easy choice. You hate the new itinerary. Don’t go. Why waste your vacation on something you dislike so much? Cancel and take the refund and do something different.

4. Gear is on so go ahead and chuck the spears, man the torpedo and fire at will.

Couldn’t have said it better myself.  It’s OK to be disappointed, I would be too, but once you’re on the ship and the rules change, there is not much Carnival could do.

Last year we booked a cruise specifically for the St Thomas port stop but due to ship issues and late arrival back on embarkation day, St Thomas was cancelled for another sea day.  We were all very disappointed but we made it work ($50 OBC was not enough but what are you going to do)

• Like 1

On our last Carnival cruise Princess Cays was cancelled due to being unable to tender in rough seas without killing anyone and we had our port fee and excursion refunded and that’s it. What if Cuba had declared war on us? People debate the safety of the Dominican Republic because of hotels nowhere near the cruise port and WANT some of those itineraries changed. Many Caribbean countries have crime, political issues and occasional or recurring uprisings and instability. 

What if if you were flying to Cuba? I presume the flight is cancelled and you’re getting a refund, a nightmare for the airline but not my problem.  Disappointment is definitely disappointing.  Learning how to manage disappointment is tough too. I have a teenager so I realize I often “don’t understaaaaaaaaaaaaand, Mom.” 

I am truly sorry for the impact of this situation but feel more sorry about the deep seated anger it has drawn.

Edited by KmomChicago

3 hours ago, KmomChicago said:

What if if you were flying to Cuba? I presume the flight is cancelled and you’re getting a refund, a nightmare for the airline but not my problem. 

That brings up a great question, what would an airline already in flight do if the total ban was announced. It's not like a multi day cruise that can do an alternate port and/or sea day. Would it have to turn around in mid-flight or would it have to land somewhere else?

3 hours ago, KmomChicago said: