D-Day cruise

Today, all of the television channels here in France are covering the 75 year anniversary of D-day. Watching this event made me realize that it would be a great opportunity to find oneself on a cruise in the region and to be able to participate in the commemoration. I just checked out CruiseMapper only to find one cruise ship and a small number of river boats in the area. What a shame.

While every year there are events on June 6, every 5 years the events are more important. Since cruise lines reserve their ports years in advance, now might be the time to plan for the 80 year anniversary in 2024.

A few years ago when I cruised up the west coast of France, there was much interest from other passengers to visit the debarkation beaches. The cruise line even offered excursions from our stops in St Malo and Honfleur.

Actually the Ovation was chartered by the World War ll Museum in NeW Orleans for a 75th anniversary cruise. The cruise ends on June 7 in Dover and the itinerary states that from June 3-6 it is in the waters off the Normandy Beaches. Not sure why Sea Mapper  doesn’t  show the ship.

DH and I are currently on the Regent Navigator fundraising  DDAY commemoration cruise , a charter sponsored by the WWII Museum , set up before the SB Ovation trip was added as an option. 

Ceremonies are  tomorrow, high security due to heads of state coming, cruise ends Southampton June 8.

We have 16 WWII vets on board who tell their stories , and history expert speakers to complement my readings and parents’ first hand stories.

I booked over two years ago. 

Though we have to get up ready to depart 6AM tomorrow, I have no regrets.  I owe these guys, as my labor camp and refugee parents would have met their deaths, and I would not exist,  but for their efforts.

I have needed a lot of Kleenex this trip.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chairsin said:

Actually the Ovation was chartered by the World War ll Museum in NeW Orleans for a 75th anniversary cruise. The cruise ends on June 7 in Dover and the itinerary states that from June 3-6 it is in the waters off the Normandy Beaches. Not sure why Sea Mapper  doesn’t  show the ship.

Good to see you posting Chairsin, we don't see enough of you around these parts lately. Hope all is well with you. 

Isklaar, 

Just taking a little CC break - next time I plan on going AWOL I’ll clear it with you first. And thank you for your concern - all is good. Getting ready for another 36 nite SB cruise in a few weeks.

Catlover, 

Sounds like your cruise has been a very special experience. We spent a few days in Normandy some years ago with a private guide who was even more of an expert in military history than my DH. He had us hiking through hedgerows where skirmishes took place and down on Utah beach where he drew battle plans in the sand. But the most poignant highlight was the American Cemetery. I’m sure you will all be quite moved today and I think you are going to need a bigger box of Kleenex. 

Ka Honu, 

Quite agree with you about the museum in New Orleans. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The Azamara Journey was also there for the 75th. They actually started off having shore excursions for the 6th before I am sure the French, Americans and Brits organizing the ceremonies introduced them to the facts of life and the stickers for each zone the coaches would need. We had found an accessible small van with a French driver and an Ex-Pat Brit available for the 5th well before the rest of my fellow passengers were aware of the security on the 6th. We had always wanted to go as my husband's Father was there on Day 2 arranging Mulberry boats and was the expert on the ground to keep the supplies moving. So he and his brother were both hyped for our tour of Omaha, a slightly off road and wet field trail up to the tops of the Utah cliffs where we had a decent but damp view of the entire landings area, a stop in Saint Marie sur Eglise and after lunch the very somber walk/roll at our pace  through the American Cemetery. Our guide did point out where Teddy Roosevelt's son was buried and spoke about the 4 women also buried there. We had heard rumors of a funeral that day of old remains found that were to be interned also. When all of us who had ever served went to attention as the first notes of Taps played I realized that this was probably true. Even the workers placing flags stopped and stood for the duration.  This was to be the last planned large anniversary celebration. The  military members from many countries and wearing everything from their current fatigues to WW2 dress greens wondered around all the places in the area that had a place in freeing Europe from the Fascists. Even the nurses in dress greens from that era had their hair and make up done in 1944 fashion, my Mother in Law served in the India-Burma area and looked just like so many did on the 5th. The smaller roads were filled with restored Willie's jeeps to duce and a halves plus the weapons of the era were all over. It was an amazing day for the 4 of us and yes, kleenex were a necessity.