We put the DYS in Functional, Completing our ABC’s, Jan Southern Carib on the Wonder

jenseib

Hi all! It’s me again!  I’ve been away for a while but decided it’s time to write about our winter vacation.

Now you may ask...why now?..How will you remember everything?

Don't worry, this has been written for months and I just haven't had a chance to post it over here. If it's too long ago to be of interest of you...then this report is not for you.

For those that don’t know me, I’m Jen. I am not going to do the long intro as many who are reading probably have read one of my former reports.  If you don’t,you can go ahead and find one of my old reports. If you don't care...fine!  hahaha!

I like to give details of my trips and I tend to post a lot of pictures. I know this is not for everyone and that is fine. If you don't like it, then you can just move on.

I tell the good and the bad. Sometimes I complain. I like some things that others don't and I dislike some things that others like.   I can't make everyone happy all of the time.

Some people love my writing style and some don't. That's OK!  

I write my reports for me! I like to have the memories....but I do hope it helps answer some questions others may have or help give them visuals of different things.

I will be changing some people’s names or referring to them with an initial to keep their privacy and some events will not be detailed for some of the same reasons….but for the most part, I tell it like it is to the best of my memory.

This trip took place Jan 25-Feb. 4, 2019.  We sailed the Disney Wonder, which was our Grand Slam cruise.

If you have read any of my former reports, you probably know we usually have a hiccup or 2 each trip.  I always say if someone says they had a perfect trip they are lying!  Well maybe that is because we usually have at least one issue, and I can’t imagine anyone could have everything go perfectly. Or maybe we just have that kind of luck?

This trip did not disappoint and we had a few hiccups and one major hiccup, which all worked out in the end.

I will start by giving some background info and some of the “players” in this report.  The background part can be a little boring, but it will set the stage for all about to come later in the actual report part. There will be a lot of writing in the first couple updates, but once we get going there will be lots of pictures too!

I will start by introducing my family.

There is me. I am lucky enough to work from home and I have my dream job! That being said, there are days I want to scream and I can put in long hours and then there are days where I don’t do anything.  Because of the nature of the business, you can’t always predict your hours or level of business. I will say that once I plan a vacation, I tend to get slammed with business and the week leading up usually is crazy.

One of the trade-offs for my crazy business is that when you reach a certain level in the business you can sometimes get perks and/or discounts. These are similar to Florida Resident Rates, Military Rates, Cast Member rates, Interline rates…..you get the idea.  These are not always available, so it’s not something to count on, but I check from time to time to see if anything might be available for a time I would like to vacation.

Next up is Claire, my 14 year old daughter.  She usually travels with me if I am not traveling for business.  She loves to travel and knows she is spoiled rotten.  This cruise was her 7th Disney cruise I believe.

Then my husband, Skip.  Skip is a farmer. He has been a dairy farmer his whole life and last year they sold the dairy cows and has made the transition to beef cows. He doesn’t vacation with us often and this was going to be our first family vacation in many years….our last one being an Alaskan Cruise on Norwegian.

We also had some friends join us this sailing….friends I have sailed with before and was delighted to have the chance to sail with them again.

J, who I have sailed my last 2 cruises with (our last being in July of 2018) and her new boyfriend MK.  Then PT (who J and I also sailed with in June/July of 2017) and her husband F and one of their sons, Z. And then T and her new husband D.  I met T last summer after our cruise. She is a friend of J’s and she was already on this sailing long before we booked.

Now you know the basic players….or do you?  Wahhhahhhhahhhh!!!!!!

How this trip came about…..

Well when it comes to travel and cruising, I pretty much want to go all the time.

Last summer we did get a discounted rate to sail the 3 night sailing on the Fantasy. (I did write a report on that one as well).  J sailed with us that time and we celebrated her 50th birthday then.  Our other friend “P” also sailed with us that sailing, celebrating her 50th as well.  We had such a great time and I was hoping to do a cruise for my 50th.

In Sept. a fabulous discounted rate came out and J and P sailed on the Magic.  I REALLY wanted to go…like really really badly!  Skip said no. He wanted to do a family vacation this winter and if I held off, we would plan one for early 2019. I behaved and stayed home…but I wasn’t happy about it.

Let’s fast forward now to Dec. of 2018.  I noticed that the Wonder sailing out of San Juan had a discount and it was actually a really good one.  I priced it, J priced it, P price it, PT priced it. Yeah, we had a lot of conversations about possibly going, but with Christmas coming and so many other things going on, we didn’t do much.

Christmas Eve….we have a tradition of exchanging a few small gifts as a family in the afternoon. Santa still brings all of Claire’s major gifts, but it is nice to get a little something on Christmas Eve.  We also bought Skip a few small things, but Skip and I had decided we wouldn’t do gifts and just plan a vacation eventually.

As gifts were passed out, Skip did mention that he didn’t buy any gifts since we planned to vacation…and I said yes!  And I would not let him push it aside and “forget” about it. 

“In fact, there is a sailing Jan. 27 out of San Juan for $.... for all 3 of us and I can’t say how long it will last, but I do have enough in gift cards to pay for the whole thing today”.

Skip thought about it and said that the air probably would be high.  I told him I would check, as I had quite a few points and we might be able to get the majority of the flights paid with points.

I looked and I actually had enough to get all 3 of us round-trip flights if we flew home a day later. It would take almost all my points, but it would cover us.  We would just need to pay for hotels, transfers and excursions and spending money.  (If you read my July 2018 cruise report, I did cruise for practically free, and this one was going to be similar).

Now Skip can’t EVER make his mind up about stuff and when he does, he changes his mind over and over.  This rate is non-refundable. You go or you lose it basically.  He hemmed and hawed a bit and said book it!

What?!!!???

Wait?  Right now?

I ran to the phone and put the cruise on hold and then went and gathered my gift cards and combined them to make the payment.  I then booked our flights.  I was NOT taking a chance he would change his mind.

Wooohooo! We are going on a cruise!...On the Wonder!!!!!!...This would make a Grand Slam for Claire and I…we now will have sailed all 4 ships! And out of a new port…and 3 of the 4 stops would be new to us as well. 

Merry Christmas to us!!!!! And Happy 50th birthday to me!

I now had about a month to plan.  This is the downside to booking a late rate, but I really didn’t want anything special on the ship, like Palo or character meets, so I was fine.

I of course told J, P and PT that we booked and of course did a little coaxing to them that they should as well.  J booked right away. Her and MK were going to join us and I would finally get to meet MK.  P said she just couldn’t swing it right now and we tried to coax her, but she said too much was going on to be able to go…and I totally understand.

PT wavered a bit but really wanted to go.  Her son Z was turning 18 in Jan and this would be a great gift for him. Her son C would not be able to go and she looked into having someone keep an eye on him and then did end up booking as well.

It always happens that as soon as you plan a vacation, business gets busy or life gets in the way, so my personal planning wasn’t as enthusiastic as I hoped it would be.  In my spare time I looked for hotels for both pre and post cruise.  Because Skip was coming with us, I planned a later flight into San Juan on Jan. 26 to accommodate his schedule better. He could do an hour or 2 of work in the morning and then we could make the 2 ½ hour drive to the airport and fly. The down side was that we would arrive at 9 PM, which made me nervous.  If something went wrong, or weather was bad and we missed the flight, we could have some issues.

I looked for hotels and WOW!!!!!  They cost a lot in San Juan.  I was having a hard time finding anything under $400 for a night, and with us arriving so late, I didn’t want to spend that much for just a place to sleep.  After talking with J, we decided on air bnb’s.  She has used them in the past, but this was my first time. I looked for several days before I took the plunge.  It still wasn’t cheap, but at $170, it was a heck of a lot cheaper than a hotel.

Again, we needed a hotel for the day we disembarked as well and the prices were not great, but a little less.  In the end, I got a Courtyard for under $300 for the night. That was still much cheaper than all 3 of us flying home the day we disembarked.

I always watch my flights when I book with Southwest, and if they go down, I make an adjustment.  I also watch the times and if a better time goes down, I change the flight to that. I am a point hungry person, so any time I can get points back I am excited.

Now during this planning process, Skip asked me more than once that if he had to cancel could someone replace him.  Yes, but it wasn’t like it would be easy and there would be a $50 charge to do so.  Skip has had some health issues and he was planning a surgery for his shoulder. He actually has scheduled it twice and cancelled it.  He also has anxiety about the surgeries…and travel. So he was a bundle of nerves for most of Jan.

I managed to book a few excursions, some with Skip and some without, as he didn’t want to snorkel. I started the packing about a week or so before we were due to leave.  I tried to minimize what we brought…. but well.... that's just not easy for me.

I kept watching our air, but it didn’t drop.  There was a later flight coming home that dropped, but I knew Skip would not like getting back that late. If it was just Claire and I would have changed it in a minute.  It would have given us over 11,000 points back for the 3 of us.

We were all set!  On Friday Jan. 25, I had all the suitcases packed for the most part, with just last minute things to throw in. I was done with work for the next week and a half and I had a small list of things to finish up at home to do before we left for the airport Sat. morning.  Claire was beyond excited that her dad would be joining us on a cruise!

You are about to get a lesson on how Dysfunctional our family really is!

Friday, Jan 25, 2019, Crazy Day

We started our day like any normal day.  Claire was excited that this would be her last day of school for over a week!  She would be missing 6 school days in total, but many of her teachers had sent home work for her to do ahead of time, and though she grumbled, she got it all done by Thursday night so she wouldn’t have to take it on the trip with us.

I dropped Claire off at school around 7:45, like normal, and came home to start my chores, which included running to the pharmacy to get meds, clean the house so it wasn’t a wreck when we got home, change sheets on the beds so we came home to clean sheets, grab all electronics and make sure I had batteries and chargers, take the chinchilla to my sisters to have her daughter (My niece) watch while we were gone…etc.

The weather for the next week was not looking great at home. It was predicting days of below zero and I worried that our upstairs bathroom pipes might freeze, so I was going to call my dad to come and turn on and off the heater up there if needed. Oh …… and one of our toilets decided not to flush properly this week.  We aren’t sure if there was a frozen spot in the line somewhere or if my 1 year old Granddaughter threw something in there….and we still are having issues off and on. Ugh!

I was back home from dropping off Claire for only a few minutes and my cell phone rang. ….. It was Skip…….. 

“I have to cancel. I am so sorry, but the weather is going to be so bad and I can’t leave Dave (his brother and business partner) home alone to take care of everything.  Things are already starting to freeze and we can’t even get feed for the cows as it froze.  We have to borrow feed from the neighbors today.  See if you can get a replacement for me and I promise we will go and do a makeup trip in March. I know Claire will be disappointed, but I just can’t make it. You need to contact your sister and see if you can come tonight and spend the night. If it is as cold as it is supposed to be tomorrow morning, you might have issues getting to Columbus”.

OMG!  I was stunned. I totally understood, but we were 24 hours from pulling out of our driveway. Who the heck is going to be able to go at this late notice? Will I get his points back if I cancel his flight this close now? I have to repack now. I had our clothes in all 3 suitcases.  I was in a total tizzy and thinking for the next few hours was a little hard to do.

First thing I did was cancel his flight.  I got the points back!  Thank goodness!  That’s a relief. I texted Amanda and let her know we would be coming tonight. I had asked a while back that if weather was bad, would it be OK to spend the night prior at her house, so she wasn’t totally surprised.

I told J and PT.  What am I going to do?  We are out the money if no one replaces him. I would rather have someone use that fare.

I then went and looked at our current flight situation.  Without Skip coming, we didn’t have to worry about leaving later. There was a 5:30ish AM flight I could change to for only 500 total points more for the 2 of us.  OK, I’ll take it. It will give me peace of mind to arrive earlier. I checked in and noticed we now had C boarding for our first flight and B for the 2nd.  If it was just me, I would be fine, but Claire was terrified that she would have to sit next to a stranger. UGH!

I checked that later flight coming home on the 4th to see if I could switch to that now…well it went up to double the amount of points it had been overnight.  Nope. We will keep our early flight for now home.

I would normally ask my Mom or a family member if they could take Skip’s place in a situation like this, but I already knew most of the family had Cirque Du Solei plans for Sat. night.

I started sending out messages to friends who I thought could possibly do it. All they had to do was get a flight and some spending money.  The cruise and hotels were paid for. I already had planned to pay for the transfers. I wasn’t too sure how long to wait for a reply before sending another message out.  This was time sensitive now.

I talked with P and she said she was booked solid the next week and couldn’t move her appointments.  Dang!  My friend Brook said her husband was out of town and though he was coming back that night, she just couldn’t get away….she even looked at flights and said they were affordable! My friend Cass didn’t get back to me till quite a bit later and by that time I had found someone…so I am not sure if she could have after all or not, but I doubt it since she would have to fly from quite a far way.

In the end, J told me to call her daughter M, who we sailed with in 2017.  She was pretty sure she could get away.  Ok, I wasn’t sure if I should call immediately or wait for the others who I had messaged to say yes or no. J said that M worked the night shift, so call her soon or she would be in bed….and then a message from M came. “I want to go”.  YES! Seriously, I was worried how Claire would take all this and if her dad had to be replaced, M was probably the best substitute there could be.  She LOVES M!

I called M and no answer or voicemail.  I tell J I can’t get her and she tells me to try again and she is looking up flights for her. M finally calls me back and is able to go. She said her mom actually found cheaper flights than what she got and as soon as I make the switch then they will book the flight.  …well it wasn’t quite that smooth of a conversation because I was still in a tizzy and rambling on incoherently.  But that is the gist of it.

I called Disney and made the change and paid the change fee and M was now our 3rd passenger in the room. She got her flights booked and we would be landing about the same time, so would meet in the airport where she would join us at the air bnb for the night.

And then as we all compared our flights we found out that PT’s flight connected in Orlando….just like our new flight did…and we would be flying into San Juan on the same flight!  Awesome!

I began repacking and getting everything ready to go.  I was just throwing Skips packing cubes off to the side and my house was now a total wreck, but I had no time to clean it up now. The day was half gone and I soon would have to pick up Claire.

Oh wait!  The chinchilla!  I was going to drop him at my sisters around 3:30.  I quickly texted her and let he know the big change and that we would probably be an hour later and would drop him off on our way to our other sisters house.

In the tizzy of the day, I never remembered to go to the pharmacy and pick up my meds.  I was lucky enough to have a little more than half of what I needed while gone and just went with 1 pill a day instead of 2.  Good thing it wasn’t for anything life threatening!

Time to pick up Claire.  I was nervous. I knew she would be sad that Skip cancelled, but I was hoping that with M replacing him, she would take it in stride….plus he was promising her another vacation!

When Claire got in the car she was full of excitement and I had to tell her I had bad news, good news, and then some more good news.

She was sad that Skip wasn’t coming, but M totally made up for it and she was excited for a 2nd vacation in the next few months.  We got home and packed up the car and put the chinchilla and cage in and said our good byes to Skip and then started off.

Our first stop was at sister Gail’s where Abby was going to be in charge of “Nibbles” for the next week and she was so excited!  We gave her all the directions and talked a bit and then it was time to head out again.

We started our drive and as we got to Findley I noticed construction and I remembered that Amanda had mentioned a few months ago that the exit had changed….and I looked for it and never found it. Shoot! We missed it.  We stopped at a rest stop and figured our plan of attack to get back on course and found a way to cross over to the right road, but I think it added a good 45 minutes to our trip.  OMG, today was just a disaster!

We decided to stop at a truck stop to get some food to go and use the restroom.  There was a guy who took a liking to me and kept asking about my hair and just making conversation with me.  Claire totally was laughing about it. I don’t know why, but I attract people like that all the time.  He was nice, but very odd and he kept seeking me out to make conversation while we waited for our food. I was happy to get out of there.

Finally we made it to Amanda’s house.  We were tired, but we talked for a while.

Claire wanted ice-cream and I finally caved in and took her over to Graeter’s (which has the best ice-cream) and we each got a treat!

46097017345_b39150bf79_z.jpgicecream1 by Jenseib, on Flickr

We then headed to bed early.  We were going to be up at a VERY early hour tomorrow and would have a very long day!  And I sure hoped that the rest of the trip would go smoothly.  If it went like today, I am not sure I could handle it!

Saturday, Jan 26, 2019, Flying to San Juan

We got up really early, but we did get some decent sleep at least.

We weren’t doing too much to make ourselves gorgeous as we were just traveling and I was too tired to care.

We loaded our suitcases back into the car and set the gps and headed off to the airport.   This early it is really a breeze to get there as not many people are crazy enough to be on the road.

We decided to just park and then take our bags on the shuttle rather than dropping them off first….but we missed the turn, totally my fault, so we had to circle around back to the lot.  We noticed that the Skycap wasn’t even open yet, which I thought was odd since we have flown this early before and it has been open.

We found a spot and unloaded our bags and waited for the shuttle.  It was cold, but not nearly as bad as I thought it would be.

46097017425_b65f729cdd_z.jpgcmh1 by Jenseib, on Flickr

The shuttle pulled around and we loaded our bags and found 2 seats left and off we went.  At the airport we dragged our bags inside, which was a first for us. I have never had to check the bags inside at CMH before.  We were greeted with this line.

46097018235_ea49cb0268_b.jpgcmh2 by Jenseib, on Flickr

HOLY COW!!!!  There was no one at the desks yet.  I don’t know why they opened later today, but many were grumbling.  Once they did open, they told people they could do the self check in kiosks as well.  But it appeared no one knew what they were doing in those, so we stuck with the regular line and it wasn’t too slow.

Once we arrived at the counter, we handed our bags and I handed over our passports.  The lady then tells me mine is expired…Wait? What?  Claire had another year or so on hers, but I thought mine had like 5 still left.  She hands it to me and tells me it expired in 2012.  Um, nope, and I hand it back….that is when I got it. Oops.  Talk about giving me a heart attack.   This gal can’t take much more.

After that, it went smoothly and bags were taken and we went in the TSA precheck line and soon were through security.  We noticed later that people who got in the regular line at the same time as us took about 30 minutes to get through.

Now we had one more task to make this day flow better.  Claire was having stomach butterflies because she was so worried she would have to sit next to strangers with our C boarding pass.  We chose a seat right in front of the desk and I told her I would try to upgrade to A boarding if possible. 

We sat and waited for someone to come to the desk, and I stood as soon as I saw her, but let her have time to start her computer and then a couple with a stroller jumped in front of us.  Luckily, they just wanted to get a tag and ask some questions.  Then it was my turn.  I told her we wanted to upgrade and what the cost would be.  She said $80 for the 2 of us and with C boarding, it was a good chance we would not be sitting together.  That $80 was totally worth peace of mind for us.  I had not bought early bird, so I just looked at it as a similar cost.

And look what numbers we got!

46296933914_88f871216e_z.jpgpr3 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I have NEVER been 1 or 2 before!  It was kind of exciting!  We would not technically be first on board, as they did have a few wheelchairs, but we were darn close.

46969089792_dc0e627ee3_z.jpgpr1 by Jenseib, on Flickr

With that settled and Claire now breathing a sigh of relief, I went to the vending machines to get us some pops and used the restroom.  It was when I came back that I noticed people we got in line with, but went through regular security had now just made their way through and were putting on their shoes.

46296936084_2538b9b023_z.jpgpr2 by Jenseib, on Flickr

We didn’t have to wait too long and it was time to board.  There was a couple behind us who paid to upgrade too. They also had C boarding and did not want to be separated. 

We found our seats and Claire sat by the window and I sat on the aisle.

I put my bag on the seat between us and dug in it for a while. I really was looking for something, but I had found out that the plane was not completely full and I had hoped we could keep that extra seat open and have more space. If someone did want to sit in our row, I would move to the middle. 

We lucked out and the seat remained vacant and we had plenty of room.

We did have to get de-iced and left a little late, but all in all not too late and we were in Orlando on time.  We  got off and used the restrooms and walked around a bit to find our next gate and then hit up McDonalds for some food.

46969089622_045c865c9a_z.jpgpr4 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Claire spotted the pretzel place, so then we had to go back and get that for her.  We had about 2 hours before our next flight, so we didn’t hurry. 

Once done, we found some seats at our gate and it wasn’t long before PT and her family had arrived and they sat with us and we chatted.  They had an earlier boarding number than us, so they said they would try to save us a seat near them.

When boarding started, we lined up with the B’s and once onboard we saw that Z had a row saved for us. He moved back with his parents when we arrived and this time I sat by the window.  Claire sat on the aisle and we asked if the flight was full and they said no…so we put the bag on the middle seat and did our little trick again.  Hahahah…..and it worked.  We had the middle seat open and were able to have more room this flight as well.

46097017955_98bef1d06e_z.jpgcmh4 by Jenseib, on Flickr

A plane selfie of all of us.

46097017845_98bef1d06e_z.jpgmco1 by Jenseib, on Flickr

As we flew out, I watched out the window and saw the coast not too far way. I was hoping I would spot Port Canaveral and see the Fantasy docked.  We were literally just about there and then we went into the clouds and I never did see if we flew over it or not.

This time around I looked at the movie options from Southwest on my phone and found Moma Mia, Here We Go Again.  I am not a fan of these movies, but I did see the first one and though I would never pay to see it, I figured it would be a good way to spend the flight.  It was timed perfectly and ended just before it was time to land…and it wasn’t bad.

As we came in, I took pictures out the window. We could see a ship in port, but couldn’t tell which one. It looked like RCCL, Princess or NCL.

46097017735_2215d772f4_z.jpgsju1 by Jenseib, on Flickr

46097017655_2215d772f4_z.jpgsju2 by Jenseib, on Flickr

46097017595_40c85da567_z.jpgsju3 by Jenseib, on Flickr

46097017505_538ee0724b_z.jpgsju4 by Jenseib, on Flickr

46097017265_8344c51223_z.jpgsju5 by Jenseib, on Flickr

33143613278_720fb81e8f_z.jpgsju6 by Jenseib, on Flickr

40054251523_f746592a73_z.jpgsju7 by Jenseib, on Flickr

It was beautiful and the excitement level went up several notches.  It was real now! We were on vacation!

Just a side note…I had joined the Facebook group for our sailing and several people from the group were on that flight. I said Hi to a few who I recognized as active in the group. I saw some around the ship here and there, but really not too often.

Once we landed, we grabbed our bags and headed for a quick restroom stop and then off to the baggage area.  J, MK and M had landed early and were already there and we were a few minutes late.  Schedule wise, we were supposed to have arrived before them, but it all worked out fine.

J spotted us and ran over and gave us a hug and M gave Claire one.  We met MK and we were all just so excited!  We got our bags then and headed to the taxi line.  I have been told that SJU doesn’t allow Uber or Lyft, but J got one anyways.  She didn’t have any issues, but the way things had been going for me,  I figured I shouldn’t chance it. PT’s family got in the taxi line as well.

Taxi’s are set fees to different areas in Puerto Rico with an additional charge ($1) per bag.  We loaded up and headed off to our Air bnb.

Side note…..My gal from the Air bnb had told me that she would send me the address that morning and it never came. I messaged in SJU and she said she had sent it but found the site erroring, so she sent me texts with the info and all was fine…but I did have a few minutes of nervousness.

J’s air bnb had no power and they messaged her that she wouldn’t be able to stay since the area was without power.  She was refunded and luckily found a hotel.

PT was staying at a hotel that was cheaper than most, and worried what it would be like, but it was fine.

We all really had no clue what area we were going to be in, but ended up all being just a few blocks from each other.

We got in our taxi and said goodbye to PT and family.  We promised we would keep in touch about dinner.  The ride wasn’t too long and soon we pulled up to our apartment for the evening and unloaded. I can’t remember the exact amount off hand, but I believe the ride was $25ish plus tip.

We headed to the doors and they are monitored by a security guard, unless you have a fob…which ours would be waiting in our apartment.  The security guard had stepped out so we had to wait a few minutes till she got back.  Once she did, she let us in and we had to do some signing in so they had a record of us staying there.  She didn’t speak English well, but we made due and then headed off to the elevator and up to our room.

When we got to our door I tried it and it wouldn’t open and I heard the TV on inside.  OH no!  Is someone else in here?  I knocked with no answer and tried again and the door opened. It was just one of those doors that needed a good shove to open and close…and the TV was just on a music channel.

We stepped in and dragged our bags in and then took a once over.  At first glance, it was a cute place and resembled the pictures online.

46296935904_a19d4847d2_z.jpgpr5 by Jenseib, on Flickr

The futon would be M’s bed for tonight.

46969089472_50cdab06b3_z.jpgpr6 by Jenseib, on Flickr

The bed was advertised as a queen, but I thought in the pictures it looked smaller….and it was. It really was a double.

46296935744_93cbd4b4e3_z.jpgpr7 by Jenseib, on Flickr

46969089342_43c42d57ab_z.jpgpr8 by Jenseib, on Flickr

40054251723_f6fd81ea2b_z.jpgsju10 by Jenseib, on Flickr

46296209844_dd330faf71_z.jpgsju11 by Jenseib, on Flickr

The bathroom had new towels in there and was basic, but didn’t look bad at first glance.

46969088342_45ac225c50_z.jpgpr9 by Jenseib, on Flickr

46296935574_8a64d34f2b_z.jpgpr10 by Jenseib, on Flickr

We had a small kitchen area, which we really didn’t use.

46296934864_d7c2e48e02_z.jpgpr16 by Jenseib, on Flickr

We had a very small balcony with a decent view.

The front of our building was right across the street from the Marriott, which is one of the hotels that Disney uses.

33143612828_42db608b1a_z.jpgsju8 by Jenseib, on Flickr

33143612768_7c1b7e59d0_z.jpgsju9 by Jenseib, on Flickr

46969089242_e91f97f621_z.jpgpr11 by Jenseib, on Flickr

When we turned the AC on, it did make quite a loud hum outside on the balcony.

46296935324_068b83370e_z.jpgpr12 by Jenseib, on Flickr

46969089152_c60ae5949d_z.jpgpr13 by Jenseib, on Flickr

There is a pool here as well, but we never used it.

46296935094_6f7b3dd1a9_z.jpgpr14 by Jenseib, on Flickr

46969089072_a83a184616_z.jpgpr15 by Jenseib, on Flickr

46969088992_3c2d06b4b6_z.jpgpr17 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Over all it was a decent looking place…..however…as we looked closely we could tell it was in need of a major cleaning.  With this Airbnb they have a company that comes in to clean and they obviously do just the basics.  The trim/baseboards all around the floors was covered in dirt/dust…very thick actually, so it has not been touched in a long time.  Under the bed was dusty. The bathroom really needed a good bleach cleaning in my opinion.  The dresser drawer handles were filthy… when you tried to open each drawer, you would feel just how dirty they were.  The bedding for the futon was stained and did not smell great….it looked as if it probably had been washed, but just needed to be replaced. It was not matching either and just overall needed a new set of complete bedding…and a pillow.

The whole place did have a musty smell if you didn’t have the AC on and the air freshener plugged in, which may have more to do with being in San Juan than cleanliness.

For one night we could handle it, but if I had to stay longer I would have complained. I don’t blame the owner, I blame the cleaning crew.

We changed into comfy clothes as it was in the 80’s here and let our friends know we had arrived.

We decided to head outside and check the area out and scout for a dinner location.  J was tired and just wanted us to find something and PT and family were having a crisis as Z left his backpack in the taxi. It was an expensive backpack and had his expensive headphones in it.  They called several taxi companies and had no luck and I don’t believe it was ever found.

46296209734_8dcfabba18_z.jpgsju12 by Jenseib, on Flickr

We walked down the road and found several restaurants to choose from and sent off suggestions to the others. We stopped at a Walgreens (or some pharmacy as there were 2 right down the road) and I bought a pack of water to bring on the ship, though we did get into them ahead of time as well.

We headed back to the apartment and left the water and relaxed a bit and messaged back and forth about dining options.  Since Hard Rock Café is a known name and place, we finally settled on that. It would be an easy landmark to find and should have food we all like.

We set off that way and put our name in and soon PT and family arrived and we were seated. J and MK arrived a little later. We then found out that we all were actually pretty close to each other. PT said they walked only a few blocks from the opposite direction and J said they took an Uber, but it was walkable as well and just a few blocks away too.

I will start by saying this was the worst experience at a Hard Rock Café I have ever personally had.  The service was not bad, but not good either.  The choices of food were very limited and it just had an odd vibe and took a really long time to get our food.

We had M take a group shot of us.

47048724671_6d9da5ece2_z.jpgpr36 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Claire went with the Margarita Flat bread.

46296934724_91ab780f26_z.jpgpr18 by Jenseib, on Flickr

This was good and I should have gone with that choice, or we should have shared.  Claire is picky and wasn’t finding anything to her liking so I suggested this to her and told her to take the tomatoes off.  She said “What about the margarita part?” I explained that that just meant it had tomatoes on it. She told me later that she always that that meant it had alcohol in it.  Hahaha…..Now she knows it’s a safe option.

I got the club sandwich.

46296933674_9199a3d236_z.jpgpr19 by Jenseib, on Flickr

It was odd.  Usually clubs have sliced meat but this had a big slab of chicken on each side.  It was just ok, but I wasn’t a fan of the thick chicken….then I went to my second half and took a bite and it was DISGUSTING!!!! I don’t know what was wrong with the chicken, but I could not eat it.  It had a gross taste and it lingered. I ate a piece of Claire’s pizza to get rid of the taste.

It took forever to get our bill.

46296209534_11009c03e7_z.jpgsju13 by Jenseib, on Flickr

46296209344_b28bd2bf85_z.jpgsju14 by Jenseib, on Flickr

46296934644_5231f14e93_z.jpgpr20 by Jenseib, on Flickr

We all look tired.

46968416092_a6ca42e8d7_z.jpgsju15 by Jenseib, on Flickr

The bill was a bit high for the quality of the food, but it is what it is.  We did take the rest of Claire’s pizza with us.

The company was great, though MK didn’t speak too much and I wondered if he was shy with all of us loud mouths.  J assured me he could be just as loud and we would get to know him and like him.

J and MK went off to get some gelato and we walked off with PT and family for a bit. 

We did want to see the beach, so we headed towards the water.

46969088852_22a7d8bbaa_z.jpgpr21 by Jenseib, on Flickr

When we had been looking at hotel options, one kept popping up. I can’t remember the name off hand, but it was something like Sunset Beach hotel….and it was really cheap and we had wondered if it was any good.  We walked by it and it was very small and I am glad we didn’t go with it.  I don’t know what the inside looked like, but the outside wasn’t impressive.

46296934444_625a2ebd40_z.jpgpr22 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I believe this is the beach behind the Marriott.

46296934324_514bf93708_z.jpgpr23 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I had sandals on, so I walked out a bit, but the rest has regular shoes and stayed back.

46968415652_d0eea6a0e3_z.jpgsju16 by Jenseib, on Flickr

It had cooled down quite a bit and actually chilly out, so I was surprised to see people swimming.

47020352971_0f430a2884_z.jpgsju17 by Jenseib, on Flickr

46969088572_4e43b24139_z.jpgpr24 by Jenseib, on Flickr

46296934134_5d00455063_z.jpgpr25 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I loved the crashing waves.

46969088482_f4042af287_z.jpgpr26 by Jenseib, on Flickr

33145071308_9f5f191868_z.jpgsju19 by Jenseib, on Flickr

46969088062_db2e931e03_z.jpgpr27 by Jenseib, on Flickr

32106829967_46bab67801_z.jpgpr29 by Jenseib, on Flickr

32106829857_795c795436_z.jpgpr30 by Jenseib, on Flickr

It was very pretty!

32106829627_4251e3d941_z.jpgpr31 by Jenseib, on Flickr

32106829497_ab3c2feb8f_z.jpgpr32 by Jenseib, on Flickr

The garbage can was overflowing though….someone needs to come empty that bugger.

32106829407_d178976286_z.jpgpr33 by Jenseib, on Flickr

We stopped at the Tollhouse Cookie store, but oddly the cookies didn’t look appealing to me. And it didn’t smell of cookies. If they had brought out some fresh ones I would have been all over it. 

33145071008_d10bf71ebc_z.jpgsju20 by Jenseib, on Flickr

We made a few other stops and then spotted this store and just totally laughed….and we did NOT stop here.

33145070688_56b5bf14c0_z.jpgsju21 by Jenseib, on Flickr

We split up from PT’s family and walked around some more. 

This is in front of our apartment. I think someone ran up to use the bathroom.

32106829267_6a44d32e8a_z.jpgpr34 by Jenseib, on Flickr

We walked the other way for a bit and then back towards the pharmacy as M wanted to get something, passing the Hard Rock again.

46996568452_de46311b69_z.jpgpr35 by Jenseib, on Flickr

We all had been up since like 3 or 4 in the morning our time and it was taking its toll so we decided to settle down and get some sleep.

As we were getting ready I was also out on the balcony and notice a colorful bus blaring music….a party bus.  Wow it was loud. Up until then we never really heard too much.  Well that bus must have parked nearby and the Music never stopped. It was loud and banging through most of the night.

I took a video of the bus as I spotted it (it’s flashing) but it didn’t capture the music because the AC unit was loud right there.

video

We then discovered that the beds and bedding were not the greatest and I had to just put that all in the back of my head or I would never sleep. Also the curtains did not cover the whole window, with each end piping light in….and of course we had the pumping music outside.

It was like 8 PM now and we just wanted to get some sleep so we could start the next day and be ready.

I thought how funny it was that I was in bed at 8, when my original flight would not have even landed in San Juan yet. I was glad we changed to the early flight as we had a nice time with our friends.

Edited by jenseib

Sunday, Jan. 27, 2019, Embarking the Disney Wonder

With an early night, I woke up pretty early.  Luckily I got much better sleep than I thought I would.  M said she woke up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom and the music was still pumping outside. I don’t know if this is a nightly thing, or if it was because it was a Saturday night.

M and I decided to brave the shower, which once we gave it a look over, was not so desirable.  She went first and said it wasn’t so bad, but the bathroom floor will flood and that the water temperature had basically its own mind. I debated and decided I would shower now.  Claire on the other hand said she would rather die than use the shower here …and she has to wash her hair daily or it gets greasy….and she hadn’t washed it yesterday…so you know she was disgusted with the shower if she was letting it go another day.

While Emily showered, I had walked downstairs.  I took this pic of the lobby. We totally cracked up as their tree was still up….and it was a LIVE tree….that was completely dead.  It was so dry and just had to be the biggest fire hazard.

46296283524_463458b9f5_z.jpgsju22 by Jenseib, on Flickr

After I headed back up and showered, we gathered our stuff, but still had a ton of time before we had to leave….so we went for a walk.  We decided to go a little further one way today and also possibly go to the beach again too.

46968484052_f876a5e26e_z.jpgsju23 by Jenseib, on Flickr

46296283274_ff0aa1453e_z.jpgsju24 by Jenseib, on Flickr

It was pretty and we had a nice time checking everything out.   We saw this waffle place and I had to take a picture because Claire used to be obsessed with waffles.  She’s kind of passed the waffle obsession now.  She was not nearly as excited about the place as I was.

46968483842_4ecb9da930_z.jpgsju25 by Jenseib, on Flickr

46324846144_4f04ac368e_z.jpgsju26 by Jenseib, on Flickr

33173435178_d8aee3ca1e_z.jpgsju27 by Jenseib, on Flickr

The beach was so pretty this morning.

46324845744_67621c62f4_z.jpgsju28 by Jenseib, on Flickr

33173434748_96123a33b9_b.jpgsju29 by Jenseib, on Flickr

46324845434_1e9fe39222_b.jpgsju30 by Jenseib, on Flickr

46329869654_8756767f93_z.jpgsju31 by Jenseib, on Flickr

46140025125_817c20935a_z.jpgsju32 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I have no clue what this guy was doing.

46140025025_d8354c994a_z.jpgsju33 by Jenseib, on Flickr

46329869224_1d26435cf9_z.jpgsju34 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Selfie time.

46140024785_8fc3fdf38a_z.jpgsju35 by Jenseib, on Flickr

46329869024_7be5e6123e_z.jpgsju36 by Jenseib, on Flickr

33178725638_2519ec8e60_z.jpgsju37 by Jenseib, on Flickr

There were a couple of crabs walking on the rocks.  You can’t see them very well in my picture.

46330014634_130e481051_z.jpgsju38 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Video

Video

We took some pictures of ourselves.

33242142178_318c0ae689_z.jpgsju114 by Jenseib, on Flickr

33242141968_dbb527363c_z.jpgsju116 by Jenseib, on Flickr

We had a nice time but decided it was time to head back.

46330014564_9a75c04e39_z.jpgsju39 by Jenseib, on Flickr

33178724978_5741b71df9_z.jpgsju40 by Jenseib, on Flickr

We stopped at the CVS and did a little shopping around and then back to our apartment.

46337313484_b14ed71616_z.jpgsju41 by Jenseib, on Flickr

We fidgeted around but were restless and wanted to get to the ship. We were all excited.  I messaged PT and J and then we decided we were just going to head to the port now. PT said they were ready too and heading out. J was not quite ready, but soon would be.

We dragged our bags downstairs and went out front and got an Uber.  I wasn’t sure what the port address was, so I just put in cruise port. The guy came, but pulled up further than the address and on the other side of the road. It was just kind of odd how he made no attempt to look for us and I should have taken it as a sign.

We literally lugged our suitcases over to his car and he loaded and we got in. I started talking to him and he had a surprised look on his face.  It soon became clear he did not speak English or understand it. Now I did notice later with future Uber uses that it states if they speak English. I never noticed it for this one, so I am not sure if it popped up or not.

Well Disney is the same in all languages and I told him we are going to the Disney ship. He never acknowledged us. Soon we saw the ship and we seemed to be passing it by. Again I said Disney ship and pointed, but he kept driving. Ok, the way the port is, I thought well maybe we have to circle around and come in on the other side.  We pass the NCL ship, which was at a different pier and kept going and he was mad about people stopping to turn into that port.  And then he starts to pull into the Carnival terminal.  NO!!!!  Disney!

He is confused and we say Disney over and over.  M is trying to convey it to him with the little Spanish she knows.

He turns around and heads back and then goes to turn into the NCL terminal.  NO!!!! Disney!!!  We keep pointing at the ship across the way. There were 2 ships over there and I think he finally realized we wanted one of those.

We head that way and with some gestures he lets me know I have to change the location on the Uber app.  We fiddle around and try to figure out what to do so and it says it will charge me an additional $1 and some change for the change of address. That’s fine.  He still is not sure which ship and we have to urge him to Disney’s ship.

Finally we are in line and close to our home for the next week.

32085581027_39df0b62f1_z.jpgwonder1 by Jenseib, on Flickr

46975145922_3f1c18a71e_z.jpgwonder2 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Video

Claire is annoyed with the driver…..that being said, she never smiles for my pictures anyways.

32085580847_a488acfe1b_z.jpgwonder3 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Finally we arrive and are directed where to be dropped off.  We gave him a tip for the troubles and off we went.  Later I get a receipt with the cost…which is more than double what was quoted. I have no idea what happened but I was NOT happy. I sent an email in later asking for a refund of the overage.  It took me a while with some arguing but finally I found another email dept. to talk to and they immediately gave me a refund.

We dragged our bags to the line and waited.  The terminal doors weren’t open yet.  We saw that PT and family were not too far ahead of us.  J was late and they were quite a ways back behind us.  We let her know that it looked long, but that was because they hadn’t opened the doors yet.

46337313304_9cc84c194b_z.jpgsju42 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Unlike Port Canaveral, you carry your bags into line and then the porters were standing at one point in the line and took them from you when you passed by.

46337313134_14d32a9dee_z.jpgsju43 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Not a great pic, but that is one of the porters carts.

46337312924_1a9221febc_z.jpgsju44 by Jenseib, on Flickr

32085580687_7cf9aed26c_z.jpgwonder4 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Finally the doors opened and we were moving!  We passed this nice CM who was very friendly to everyone.

46975145752_bf4dd6a830_z.jpgwonder5 by Jenseib, on Flickr

32085580497_2c9c53b0ed_z.jpgwonder6 by Jenseib, on Flickr

And we made it!

33151809198_5ccef46758_z.jpgwonder7 by Jenseib, on Flickr

We went through security and then headed in to check in.  I took a lot of snapshots as we walked in and some are pretty blurry.

32119484507_17d2798b5f_z.jpgsju46 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Now I had read a few times that the San Juan terminal was pretty miserable and hot and did not have drinks or bathroom.  I have no clue what these people were talking about.  We walked in and there were lots of drinks being sold and they had a duty free shop too. It wasn’t hot and it was actually pretty nice.

46337312704_d41b404107_z.jpgsju47 by Jenseib, on Flickr

33151808948_a40a397781_z.jpgwonder8 by Jenseib, on Flickr

We bypassed all the lines……M is platinum, so for the first time, Claire and I got to check in the platinum line.

33151808758_50200806ee_z.jpgwonder9 by Jenseib, on Flickr

32119484067_50ceffd09a_z.jpgsju49 by Jenseib, on Flickr

46337312444_54455f2b3c_z.jpgsju50 by Jenseib, on Flickr

The duty free shop.

47011836662_7655b9ba5f_z.jpgsju51 by Jenseib, on Flickr

47011836582_7fc2036fc2_z.jpgsju52 by Jenseib, on Flickr

47011836502_1a30fa7727_z.jpgsju53 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Yes, I know this picture is upside down.  I wanted to get a clear shot of the platinum rug so I had to take it from the top and then I flipped it over so we can read it!

33151808658_3a2798719b_z.jpgwonder10 by Jenseib, on Flickr

We got all checked in and our lanyards and then went off to the side to wait for PT and family while they finished up.

47011836362_d16768a68e_z.jpgsju54 by Jenseib, on Flickr

47032201881_5f67b27a1e_z.jpgwonder11 by Jenseib, on Flickr

We got boarding 1 being Platinum!

32090590507_c2aea1f5be_z.jpgwonder12 by Jenseib, on Flickr

My next DCL cruise will be my 10th, which will make me Platinum.  After that we can always check in in the Platinum line and get boarding 1.  Claire is really excited about that and keeps pushing me to get 2 more cruises in this year so we can have that perk!  Little things make her happy!

Once PT and family joined us we walked through some halls and found a warehouse area that had lots of seats for us to wait.

47011835752_b33ed8cc24_z.jpgsju55 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Just an FYI, there were bathrooms in here and in the check in area.

47011836282_b1f0a6a997_z.jpgsju56 by Jenseib, on Flickr

47011836102_847e6d6954_z.jpgsju57 by Jenseib, on Flickr

47011835882_318c0d7e20_z.jpgsju58 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Mickey was out visiting.

47011835502_d757642ed4_z.jpgsju60 by Jenseib, on Flickr

J texted that she was checking in and then they were running to see about upgrading. Now when we booked our rate, only ocean view or insides were available. J and I got ocean view rooms and PT got an inside.  PT wanted an ocean view, but F said inside would be perfectly fine for them this time. J and I had our rooms assigned right next to each other and PT’s room was a little ways down the hall on the same deck. J really wanted a verandah.

She then texted that there was 1 verandah left and they were in the process of upgrading to it.  PT and F decided they wanted an ocean view now and J told them to come quick and join them in line and they would be able to take her now vacant ocean view room.

They all came back laughing and excited.  J said the couple in line behind them wanted to upgrade as well and were not too happy that J got the last room.  J wasn’t sure about her room location though.  It was on deck 5, port side, aftish, the first room after the movie theatre.  OMG!  I have had that same room on the Magic.  I loved it.  I told her she would be fine. J now had 2 boarding # 1 passes from both rooms and gave the extra to PT.

We all sat and chatted a bit and F told us that their Uber charged them twice as much too. He later sent in an email and was refunded immediately.  He ended up directing me what to do later since I was having issues getting a refund.

We could see people gathering so we knew boarding would start soon.  Now this is where they need some organization.  We went up near the roped area and people were crowded around.  We kept asking if they started boarding…..not sure…are you in boarding group 1. …. No, we are just waiting.  UGH! Get out of the way then.  We kept pushing through people to get closer. The majority of people in the way were not in boarding group 1 nor were they even group 2 or 3!

Finally we made our way up at just about the same time they let everyone in the queued area for boarding and then it was a mass cluster muffin! People were shoving and pushing and cutting people off.  We got separated from M quickly.  Claire just held on to me so she wouldn’t get lost.  PT and family were not too far behind us, but J, MK and M were way ahead of us now and getting further and further.  As they passed around the corner and turned back and were now next to us in the next row, M lifted the rope and said “Come on and get back with me”….so Claire and I dipped under and joined her….and people were grumbling and griping.  Sorry people, but many of you cut me off and separated me from my roommate.  I sort of felt guilty, but I shouldn’t have. It was these crazy pushy people that made us get separated in the first place.

We headed up and out to board!

32090590457_0518d1efec_z.jpgwonder13 by Jenseib, on Flickr

We boarded on deck 4, a first for me with Disney.

33227116488_3fa18fd9e8_z.jpgwonder66 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I believe we scanned in once we got on deck 4 and then went down and inside.

32090590347_c67cc97547_z.jpgwonder14 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Our first look at the Wonder!  Claire and I now have officially just Grand Slammed!

Video 

We all gathered off to the side.  M was going to go put us on the waitlist for Palo.  Like I said before, I really didn’t care if we had it, but now that M was in my room, that qualified us for a free Palo meal, so what the heck.  We stood and debated for a bit on where to eat.  Tritons? Or Cabanas?  Cabanas always wins for me but I didn’t want to be pushy.  J and MK decided Tritons as he has never done a welcome aboard meal there I guess.  I didn’t care, but the rest still were not making up their mind.  I remembered M saying her favorite thing is Cabanas when boarding and eating shrimp, so after no one deciding I just said Cabanas. I am pretty sure that is what everyone wanted, but no one wanted to upset anyone else.  We told M we would meet her there and headed off.

33227116168_bffd656d26_z.jpgwonder68 by Jenseib, on Flickr

46188604895_2630cbc736_z.jpgwonder69 by Jenseib, on Flickr

When we arrived, we waited to wash our hands and there was an older couple in front of us and the wife looked at me and then nudged her husband and says “There they are. They didn’t get much further ahead. We beat them here”.

OMG!  I can HEAR you first of all. And I am sure she was referring to us going under the rope earlier.  And no, you did not “beat” us. We have been standing in the atrium for about 15 minutes.  That just annoyed the heck out of me, but I pushed it aside and we washed up and found a table and set our stuff down and then went in search of food. They were one of the couples pushing past people anyways.

33227115838_a80e5a4363_z.jpgwonder70 by Jenseib, on Flickr

40162117003_36c8d8375a_z.jpgwonder71 by Jenseib, on Flickr

32184972507_8ee2364373_z.jpgwonder72 by Jenseib, on Flickr

47032201401_5096d0a609_z.jpgwonder15 by Jenseib, on Flickr

40072176863_c8900669f5_z.jpgwonder16 by Jenseib, on Flickr

As I was sitting at our table eating I saw a server walk by and only got a glimpse of him…but boy he looked familiar. I started shuffling through my brain memories to place him.  OH!  I think he was our head server on the Fantasy last summer.  Krash!  He kept walking by, but I could only see his back side. Finally he turned around and I got a good look at him. Yep! It was him!  A little later he was talking to the table behind us and they told him he was their last head server too and I turned around and said, yes we had you too!  He was very nice and chatted a bit…and later we found out he was again our head server.

As we chatted, I noticed the one gal from the other table looked familiar too.  Yes!  She’s a friend of my friend Brook.  She also had been on the 10 night sailing on the Fantasy…AND she was at Cruise World when I attended. One night we had dinner with a bunch of gals and she was one of them.  Such a small world!

We had a nice meal and it wasn’t long before M came back to join us.  She said we were all #3 on the Palo wait list.  She said there was a huge line behind her and I was soon reading on our Facebook group that there were over 60 names wait listed.  And just an FYI, we NEVER were notified of a reservation available.  Now we had a big group listed, so not sure if that made a difference or not.

After we were done eating we chatted a bit but then decided to walk around and explore.  Claire, M and Z went off together, PT and F went off and I went on my own for a bit.

40072176703_580af02caf_z.jpgwonder17 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Since I had never been on this ship I wanted to take a few pictures.

33161895288_159bd50001_z.jpgwonder18 by Jenseib, on Flickr

40072176383_4fd13febd1_z.jpgwonder19 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I decided I wanted to check out the kids club.

32184973627_d89c9c6d80_z.jpgwonder73 by Jenseib, on Flickr

40162116673_c4d56bcb2c_z.jpgwonder74 by Jenseib, on Flickr

32184973327_f52aef6510_z.jpgwonder75 by Jenseib, on Flickr

40162116353_89a36734cb_z.jpgwonder76 by Jenseib, on Flickr

32184972897_0583303cf7_z.jpgwonder77 by Jenseib, on Flickr

40162116133_6b75f5e4f2_z.jpgwonder78 by Jenseib, on Flickr

The kids had the same idea and I found them here too.  Claire, somehow conned Z into dragging her carryon bag around.

32184972627_52a20112af_z.jpgwonder79 by Jenseib, on Flickr

40162115683_407c038e9c_z.jpgwonder80 by Jenseib, on Flickr

We took the “secret passageway” to the other side.

47129816771_9b135dcec8_z.jpgwonder81 by Jenseib, on Flickr

47129816581_04b0e81e36_z.jpgwonder82 by Jenseib, on Flickr

33254393348_16c2c7e40e_z.jpgwonder83 by Jenseib, on Flickr

47129816091_1f44f00383_z.jpgwonder84 by Jenseib, on Flickr

47129815911_bbdceb1168_z.jpgwonder86 by Jenseib, on Flickr

47129815791_c9eab2a8d3_z.jpgwonder87 by Jenseib, on Flickr

32187741967_64c31288be_z.jpgwonder88 by Jenseib, on Flickr

47129815351_dae78c7441_z.jpgwonder89 by Jenseib, on Flickr

47129815121_b8c64afacc_z.jpgwonder90 by Jenseib, on Flickr

32187741607_c9e2469aab_z.jpgwonder91 by Jenseib, on Flickr

32187741407_2ec8f58e76_z.jpgwonder92 by Jenseib, on Flickr

32187741237_8f65feeb84_z.jpgwonder93 by Jenseib, on Flickr

32187741057_689de9f263_z.jpgwonder94 by Jenseib, on Flickr

32187740877_fd96356b28_z.jpgwonder95 by Jenseib, on Flickr

33161895028_2dfae5a387_z.jpgwonder20 by Jenseib, on Flickr

46142179015_50b2ae71fd_z.jpgwonder21 by Jenseib, on Flickr

32114145657_10f49e855d_z.jpgwonder23 by Jenseib, on Flickr

47130008261_67de350211_z.jpgwonder99 by Jenseib, on Flickr

47130007501_cab5f667d6_z.jpgwonder101 by Jenseib, on Flickr

47130007861_3b9448f63e_z.jpgwonder100 by Jenseib, on Flickr

47130007231_2e278ca7b3_z.jpgwonder102 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Continuing in the kids club.

47130009271_07b5da2a67_z.jpgwonder96 by Jenseib, on Flickr

46142178935_98f1f02c56_z.jpgwonder22 by Jenseib, on Flickr

47130008901_468323fdc1_z.jpgwonder97 by Jenseib, on Flickr

47130008621_662464e91c_z.jpgwonder98 by Jenseib, on Flickr

32114145537_c3e9c6c6d5_z.jpgwonder24 by Jenseib, on Flickr

We then separated again and I went off to take some more pictures.

32114145387_12b247728e_z.jpgwonder25 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I kept on thinking I would get back to the atrium many times and would take a really nice picture of the light fixture, but honestly, I don’t think I did ever get any real nice pictures of it.

47034259162_e7d30cdb6b_z.jpgwonder26 by Jenseib, on Flickr

We would be having dinner in Tiana’s tonight and I was excited about that.  I have been dying to eat here and the menus looked good!

40121720253_7e73ea2a3e_z.jpgwonder27 by Jenseib, on Flickr

It was now about 1:30, so I headed to our home for the next week to see what our room looked like.

47130007141_d634c8eaa5_z.jpgwonder103 by Jenseib, on Flickr

We were on deck 2, not my favorite location, but surely doable and I couldn’t complain.  The girls arrived at the same time I did.

47130006891_5433b53f7a_z.jpgwonder104 by Jenseib, on Flickr

47130006591_f4338b6b31_z.jpgwonder105 by Jenseib, on Flickr

46411489814_7088a5e33c_z.jpgwonder106 by Jenseib, on Flickr

We had our Castaway Club bag on the bed.  Usually they have something inside….at least luggage tags.  Nothing!  Since PT took over J’s original room, J's bag was in there.  She got nothing as well.  PT’s bag was delivered later and hers too had nothing.

46411489754_5e6474e106_z.jpgwonder107 by Jenseib, on Flickr

33259623798_0059580b36_z.jpgwonder122 by Jenseib, on Flickr

46411489674_4c73ec5bce_z.jpgwonder108 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Our room door was actually still open from cleaning when we arrived.  Our stateroom host popped in to say hi and that she had just finished up.  She was nice, but we never meshed. She wasn’t bad, but she wasn’t overly good either.   Sometimes you get one that is just so friendly and you totally click and then sometimes you don’t.

33259625728_2388ab6a67_z.jpgwonder109 by Jenseib, on Flickr

46220940975_7ab65cf267_z.jpgwonder110 by Jenseib, on Flickr

33259625478_1aec859374_z.jpgwonder111 by Jenseib, on Flickr

So as you can see, the room is pretty much just like any other room on DCL and it would suffice our needs for the next week.

We didn’t have our bags yet, but we dedicated who would get what area to unpack to once they did arrive.  It worked out great, as M said she usually takes the middle set of drawers/storage. I typically take the one closest to the bathroom and Claire takes the drawers closet to window/balcony, so that was going to work out perfectly.

I headed out a bit and I think M went to look for a CM who is a friend of hers.

40121720183_980b9ffbe1_z.jpgwonder28 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I stopped in the Quiet Cove for a snack and pictures.

46220940925_18a94bf854_z.jpgwonder112 by Jenseib, on Flickr

46220940185_f019e07f8c_z.jpgwonder123 by Jenseib, on Flickr

33259623478_7e68218884_z.jpgwonder124 by Jenseib, on Flickr

47135133011_0d3ae57f5a_z.jpgwonder125 by Jenseib, on Flickr

33264410218_c0ec7c5bd3_z.jpgwonder126 by Jenseib, on Flickr

And then outside for a few.

47139881711_343be1d408_z.jpgwonder127 by Jenseib, on Flickr

This is the adult area.

33264411258_b7a18a65e1_z.jpgwonder128 by Jenseib, on Flickr

33264411098_6802732afc_z.jpgwonder129 by Jenseib, on Flickr

33264410998_b0f32b2391_z.jpgwonder130 by Jenseib, on Flickr

47139881161_35a403fe4d_z.jpgwonder131 by Jenseib, on Flickr

33264410838_2068f6aa3c_z.jpgwonder132 by Jenseib, on Flickr

47139880961_a687aae121_z.jpgwonder133 by Jenseib, on Flickr

47139880841_aca16a04a4_z.jpgwonder134 by Jenseib, on Flickr

33227219648_14ba10144e_z.jpgsju73 by Jenseib, on Flickr

33264410578_7e915faaf5_z.jpgwonder135 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I continued my picture taking journey.

47139880561_40b0802eda_z.jpgwonder136 by Jenseib, on Flickr

33264410448_351b268f63_z.jpgwonder137 by Jenseib, on Flickr

33264410318_1d63f09df4_z.jpgwonder138 by Jenseib, on Flickr

47139880241_a1647f4720_z.jpgwonder139 by Jenseib, on Flickr

47139880061_c0ec7c5bd3_z.jpgwonder140 by Jenseib, on Flickr

40181167853_84329b7002_z.jpgwonder141 by Jenseib, on Flickr

46422738574_5d2851343a_z.jpgwonder142 by Jenseib, on Flickr

46422739814_2486e78b49_z.jpgwonder143 by Jenseib, on Flickr

40181167683_cb6705eb13_z.jpgwonder144 by Jenseib, on Flickr

40181167593_4f99cdc851_z.jpgwonder145 by Jenseib, on Flickr

46422739254_a8b401dc51_z.jpgwonder146 by Jenseib, on Flickr

40181167403_f94b52f962_z.jpgwonder147 by Jenseib, on Flickr

46422738944_cf50d5c47d_z.jpgwonder148 by Jenseib, on Flickr

40181167263_27c88406cc_z.jpgwonder149 by Jenseib, on Flickr

40181167183_7b2572bb26_z.jpgwonder150 by Jenseib, on Flickr

My goal was to try and get as many pics around the ship in the first few days and then not worry so much about it.  I did OK, but I am sure I missed a ton.

Here is a not so great picture of the light fixture.

40121720113_df9a78a633_z.jpgwonder29 by Jenseib, on Flickr

40121720033_de777f730a_z.jpgwonder30 by Jenseib, on Flickr

40121784703_e6a650894c_z.jpgwonder31 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I found all the artwork and took a look at it for a few minutes.  They always have such cool stuff.

32144766867_c76e83304e_z.jpgwonder32 by Jenseib, on Flickr

33273580648_d9e03778f7_z.jpgwonder152 by Jenseib, on Flickr

46411489164_6ff57bdef2_z.jpgwonder113 by Jenseib, on Flickr

33273579928_8ce13e4d6f_z.jpgwonder153 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I stopped off and looked out the Port hole and took a few pics.

33227219458_b4a70f6dfb_z.jpgsju74 by Jenseib, on Flickr

The fueling barge was starting to pull away and I watched that a bit.

47035810402_5c2d9c79fe_z.jpgsju61 by Jenseib, on Flickr

The Dawn across the way.  One of the ships our Uber driver tried to deliver us to.

46378784254_c4eacca999_z.jpgsju75 by Jenseib, on Flickr

47035809632_234a155d66_z.jpgsju62 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I think at some point I went out to Deck 4.

33227219008_738e51dd65_z.jpgsju76 by Jenseib, on Flickr

46378783974_d3d307f5c2_z.jpgsju77 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Our bags had started to arrive, so we went to do some unpacking. J messaged us to come to the Concierge Lounge as she was up there with T and her husband D. So the 3 of us headed that way and they snuck us in.  The lounge is really nice.  We all sat at around and chatted for a bit.

32144766817_13c2d7c7b8_z.jpgwonder33 by Jenseib, on Flickr

32144766717_97623a0663_z.jpgwonder34 by Jenseib, on Flickr

It was just about time for the Muster Drill and I was getting antsy about being on time.  They all kept telling me not to worry and not to go till the last minute. I still was not at ease and finally I said we had to go as I felt guilty and we could see that most people were no longer at the pools or on deck.  ….well I should have listened to them.  We were not the last and we still had to wait quite a bit before it started.  Oh well.

Today we were on deck 4 for our drill. We listened to the instructions and then after it was over, we went off on our merry way.

We eventually made our way up to the top to watch us sail away.

33227218588_8504f568be_z.jpgsju78 by Jenseib, on Flickr

https://youtu.be/co7v43SxocA

33227218398_82192032a2_z.jpgsju79 by Jenseib, on Flickr

46389276824_8465e8bf4e_z.jpgsju81 by Jenseib, on Flickr

We found PT’s family and hung with them. M had gone to do something and then joined us as well.

46389276514_e6c656a569_z.jpgsju82 by Jenseib, on Flickr

46389276244_09ecea8cb9_z.jpgsju83 by Jenseib, on Flickr

46389276074_7428dda5f6_z.jpgsju84 by Jenseib, on Flickr

There were a lot of small planes coming and going on that small airstrip.

46389275734_22d7428230_z.jpgsju85 by Jenseib, on Flickr

47035809352_53f2b15d94_z.jpgsju63 by Jenseib, on Flickr

47035809052_417195173b_z.jpgsju64 by Jenseib, on Flickr

47035808772_e9512cb21f_z.jpgsju65 by Jenseib, on Flickr

46389274184_bebe9b9d00_z.jpgsju90 by Jenseib, on Flickr

33242143558_01a1d3de44_z.jpgsju91 by Jenseib, on Flickr

46425390194_e2c0d78c71_z.jpgwonder160 by Jenseib, on Flickr

47065304012_88007062ba_z.jpgsju92 by Jenseib, on Flickr

33242143458_194e457414_z.jpgsju93 by Jenseib, on Flickr

33242142808_4d29e5f8a5_z.jpgsju105 by Jenseib, on Flickr

47065303802_44a4322d82_z.jpgsju94 by Jenseib, on Flickr

33242142648_c8989d0418_z.jpgsju107 by Jenseib, on Flickr

We now were approaching the fort, which I was excited to sale by and of course took a zillion pics.

47065302752_745493aa4e_z.jpgsju108 by Jenseib, on Flickr

47065302592_2f539ca407_z.jpgsju109 by Jenseib, on Flickr

32151480447_7a1a77184c_z.jpgsju66 by Jenseib, on Flickr

47065303592_4d76c468e9_z.jpgsju96 by Jenseib, on Flickr

We heard J holler at us. 

33275413078_908ab7897d_z.jpgwonder187 by Jenseib, on Flickr

33275412558_7a8c336486_z.jpgwonder189 by Jenseib, on Flickr

She was up in the concierge area.

46234972425_88b0c10511_z.jpgwonder161 by Jenseib, on Flickr

46236543405_2b465659fa_z.jpgwonder188 by Jenseib, on Flickr

She wanted us to come there with them, so we made our way there.

We snuck up to the concierge outdoor deck and it was nice to watch us sail away from there.  I was surprised how most people do not go out here or use the lounge much at all.

33242143208_e8abaab880_z.jpgsju97 by Jenseib, on Flickr

33242142058_998739a9e0_z.jpgsju98 by Jenseib, on Flickr

46389275494_ba0f7dd424_z.jpgsju86 by Jenseib, on Flickr

32151480077_a4c39b5fa3_z.jpgsju67 by Jenseib, on Flickr

46179551095_34a31760b6_z.jpgsju68 by Jenseib, on Flickr

What a beautiful sail away.

46179550845_44ee62f521_z.jpgsju69 by Jenseib, on Flickr

40121784353_6052e1064a_z.jpgwonder35 by Jenseib, on Flickr

33242142388_e3dc80f1c9_z.jpgsju110 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Yeah I really liked this fort and this probably only 2/3rds of what I took.

46389275204_4397749aaf_z.jpgsju87 by Jenseib, on Flickr

46389274814_29edcd50ae_z.jpgsju88 by Jenseib, on Flickr

And we got further and further away.

47065303312_911a4908b9_z.jpgsju101 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Good bye Puerto Rico! We will see you in a week! ……….

47148797091_1867d25d70_z.jpgwonder155 by Jenseib, on Flickr

33242142938_911a4908b9_z.jpgsju102 by Jenseib, on Flickr

47097180221_4132c58bcc_z.jpgsju72 by Jenseib, on Flickr

MK called his family at home to say goodbye and J and I went off to chat a bit. I don’t even remember what it was, but you can see nosey Claire trying to see why we were talking without her.

33222166838_02b2e63f7d_z.jpgwonder36 by Jenseib, on Flickr

It wasn’t anything secretive, but Claire said the T said to M….ooooh they must be sharing secrets.  Hahaha.

46179550475_f5ccebea60_z.jpgsju71 by Jenseib, on Flickr

This was just a beautiful sail away and I was so excited to spend some time with my friends too.

47065301892_747a563a25_z.jpgsju103 by Jenseib, on Flickr

47065302142_9b1a75dda4_z.jpgsju113 by Jenseib, on Flickr

So we all just chilled out and talked and enjoyed the afternoon.

32206871057_12fd29d6b4_z.jpgwonder156 by Jenseib, on Flickr

46411489044_2887448bd0_z.jpgwonder114 by Jenseib, on Flickr

46425390504_a5afe90388_z.jpgwonder157 by Jenseib, on Flickr

And then we got a picture of the 3 of us.

32157012057_3d4fe77890_b.jpgwonder64 by Jenseib, on Flickr

And J and Mk got one on the lounger too, but they have goofy faces since I caught them mid-sentence…so I won’t share.

47065303142_794432a4e3_z.jpgsju104 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I think PT and family left after a bit to get ready for the evening and we all went inside for a little bit.

32157012157_167c41cec6_z.jpgwonder63 by Jenseib, on Flickr

40184203433_60e5eacebc_z.jpgwonder162 by Jenseib, on Flickr

46234972225_d28283d47f_z.jpgwonder163 by Jenseib, on Flickr

40184203013_cc1db2ed95_z.jpgwonder164 by Jenseib, on Flickr

46234971865_e94d463630_z.jpgwonder165 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Claire really needed a shower though, so we headed back to the room to get ready for the evening show.

Tonight’s show was juggler, Josh Casey.  I really wasn’t too excited to go see him, but what the heck.

We met up with PT’s family and sat with them. I believe M joined us too.  She really was like another daughter to me this trip.  She did a lot of things with us and she gets along so well with Claire and me too.

The show was just OK.  He didn’t do many impressive things and there seemed to be more talking than juggling.  I am glad I saw it, but I have no need to see him again.

47045107862_b483365548_z.jpgwonder37 by Jenseib, on Flickr

33222166738_f2336cae93_z.jpgwonder38 by Jenseib, on Flickr

We had a little time till dinner and I think Claire and M went off a bit.

46236546025_27ee21a0cb_z.jpgwonder166 by Jenseib, on Flickr

46236545845_fa14317c8c_z.jpgwonder167 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I sat down and talked to some people. I would talk to some of these people off and on throughout the cruise and they were all very nice.

46236545745_cc219744df_z.jpgwonder168 by Jenseib, on Flickr

33275412738_6c5eeff69a_z.jpgwonder169 by Jenseib, on Flickr

There was a dance party going on.  I was terrible at looking at the Navigator to see what activities were going on, so I am not sure what this was called.

46236545585_5d190da6a9_z.jpgwonder170 by Jenseib, on Flickr

46236545405_417d14f905_z.jpgwonder171 by Jenseib, on Flickr

It looked like a lot of fun and it was cute with the characters dancing with everyone.

46411489014_dec7aa86e8_z.jpgwonder115 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I had to run to the room for some reason or other.  I think we sat around and chatted for a bit.

47045107662_4fa52b5c97_z.jpgwonder39 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Then it was time for dinner, so we scooted back up towards the atrium where the party was still going on.

33222166588_a05b820406_z.jpgwonder40 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I posted this picture online the next day and my friend Cass replied something like “I spy the Dis team”.

32157011897_9369c7d02d_z.jpgwonder41 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I had no clue what she meant till later on.  The 2 guys in the background, top right of the picture, are writers for the Dis.  I ended up talking to the guy in gray much later in the cruise.  I really need to check out and see if he wrote one of the articles he was talking about writing.

32157015037_0046540e9f_z.jpgwonder42 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Time to head to Tiana’s!

46236545235_094334e39e_z.jpgwonder172 by Jenseib, on Flickr

46236545045_a4b117dac6_z.jpgwonder173 by Jenseib, on Flickr

46236544885_1a60eb87e5_z.jpgwonder174 by Jenseib, on Flickr

46236544755_f75c23e915_z.jpgwonder175 by Jenseib, on Flickr

46236544665_2e62ef8814_z.jpgwonder176 by Jenseib, on Flickr

46236544515_38d297b081_z.jpgwonder177 by Jenseib, on Flickr

33275414148_cf51e2def1_z.jpgwonder178 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Cute plates!

33259624618_ff28a39941_z.jpgwonder116 by Jenseib, on Flickr

46411488884_d8e986231d_z.jpgwonder117 by Jenseib, on Flickr

46411488784_bcf6863be3_z.jpgwonder118 by Jenseib, on Flickr

33259624238_3092dc2dca_z.jpgwonder119 by Jenseib, on Flickr

32157012647_a9f3a934e5_z.jpgwonder59 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I wasn’t very good about taking menu pics, but I did get one tonight.

33259624068_8d51074e64_z.jpgwonder120 by Jenseib, on Flickr

46220940325_6f10024412_z.jpgwonder121 by Jenseib, on Flickr

We met our servers and found out Krash was our head server!  Yay!

Our server, Potchara, was great…fantastic.  Our assistant server, Renato,…..not so much. I don’t remember either actually introducing themselves, so I don’t know if they had nick names or not.  In my head I call Potchara “Poncho”.  LOL!

From our table, we had a lovely view of the….pole!   Really a sucky view!  So sadly we couldn’t tell what was going on on the stage.

32157014817_da6658a56a_z.jpgwonder43 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I am terrible with remembering the names of what I had, and I am too lazy to search online.  So I will just show pictures.

32157014597_0f5657cd4c_z.jpgwonder44 by Jenseib, on Flickr

46236544345_d0109728da_z.jpgwonder179 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I usually order a Caesar salad most nights, even though it’s not on the menu.

32157014427_848c883ab0_z.jpgwonder45 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Tiana and Louis do come around. They perform a bit on stage and then make the rounds.  Sadly because we were so far back and the view was less than stellar, I am not sure what actually went on on stage.

32157014287_e4db023259_z.jpgwonder46 by Jenseib, on Flickr

32157014107_99130a0a3f_z.jpgwonder47 by Jenseib, on Flickr

The stop at the table is very quick and they never seemed to ask who we wanted the picture with. I am not sure if they will automatically go up to the younger kids if you have them. Claire was the youngest and they never went to her. I know Louis can't fit between tables so he will stay on the outer edge...but Claire was on the outer edge.

32157013847_bf0eab6588_z.jpgwonder49 by Jenseib, on Flickr

32157013687_dd19d4fac2_z.jpgwonder50 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I decided to be clever and when Louis walked by behind me, I was going to snap a selfie.  He saw and made a stop.

32157011787_b7ed69a13e_z.jpgwonder51 by Jenseib, on Flickr

J caught a picture of me doing it.

32157011657_e2aee0fefd_z.jpgwonder65 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Tiana visited with M.

32157013457_fafd74d904_z.jpgwonder52 by Jenseib, on Flickr

32157013257_b7955ab325_z.jpgwonder53 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Our main course came out. I believe tonight, Claire and I got the same thing.

32157013137_95de3daff5_z.jpgwonder54 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Look how cute the placemats are.

46236543875_7bc992fecc_z.jpgwonder183 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Claire is not much on eating desserts, so she got nothing.

32157013017_6c1ba6468e_z.jpgwonder55 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I tried a few things.

32157012967_e237bf721e_z.jpgwonder56 by Jenseib, on Flickr

32157012887_2b675abc90_z.jpgwonder57 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I debated on getting the signature dessert, but it is with bananas and I just don’t like anything with banana flavoring.  PT got it, so I took a pic. 

32157012757_86c734e9e4_z.jpgwonder58 by Jenseib, on Flickr

It actually didn’t look like it had much banana at all and I think I could have eaten around them.

Our servers were very nice, but Renato was very slow.  We got one round of drinks and then he disappeared. This became a theme.  He was easily thrown off too. Luckily Poncho was really good and he did his job and many of the things Renato was supposed to do as well.  Some nights, he was refilling our drinks too.

After dinner was over, we all rolled out.  We wanted to go to the adult show, which meant Claire headed back to the room.  This is the part I do feel bad about when cruising with her.  She won’t go to the clubs, so she stays in the room at night.  The Wonder doesn’t appear to have the same choices of movies on TV like the new ships do, so she couldn’t watch different movies nightly.

Usually we would arrive at Azure to watch or participate in whatever activity they had going on and then watch the show after that. Jo was our club host.  At first I wasn’t too sure about her. It didn’t take long and I took a liking to her.  She was a lot of fun.

32157012507_01f99f0851_z.jpgwonder60 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Tonight it was M and I, Z, PT and F, and T and D also joined us. 

I don’t think I mentioned this before, but T and D were in one of the Royal Suites, which is why they had access to the Concierge Lounge.  They usually ordered room service from Palo and didn’t come out too often.

The first game was Intuition…and I can’t remember much about it now…only that we all played along and had fun.

Then it was a comedian, Maryellen Hooper.  She was very funny and a lot of fun!  We did a lot of laughing. 

32157012367_de9f9ce7d2_z.jpgwonder61 by Jenseib, on Flickr

After the show, we said good byes and good nights.  I went upstairs and talked with a few people I had now gotten to know and then got some drinks for Claire and I and then headed back to the room.

Our towel animal for tonight.

32157012247_b71efe8909_z.jpgwonder62 by Jenseib, on Flickr

M came back to the room to change her clothes and then she was going to hang out with her friend who works for DCL.  He’s actually a DJ and a super nice guy.

Claire did do some wining because she had to come to the room while the rest of us went out.  I am so sorry, but there was nothing I could do to speed up 4 more years for her. Also on that note, Claire has had opportunities on more than one cruise to get to know other kids prior to sailing, this one included.  She texts or chats on Instagram, but she refuses to hang out with them once on the ship. So if she really wanted to do something at night, she could hang out with these kids.

We watched a little TV and then closed the curtain off to M’s side but left a light on so that she could find her way in later when she came in.  The first couple of nights, Claire would worry that M came in late. I told Claire that M is an adult and it’s not bothering either of us if she is out late. It’s her cruise too and if she wants to hang with her friends late, she surely can.  I think Claire was thinking I was M’s mom this week, so I should make her have a curfew. Hahaha.

Monday, Jan. 28, 2019, Day at Sea

I had a great night’s sleep. There is just something about those beds on the Disney ships.  So nice!

My goal this trip was to walk each morning if I could.  I really was a slacker at this sadly. However I did it more than my friends, so I guess that’s a plus.

Because M was asleep on the couch/bed, with the curtain closed, I did not go and look out the window.  I just headed right to the elevator to head up top.  A guy starts talking to me and tells me he was surprised to see land outside his window when he looked out.  What?  Wait? It’s a sea day!

He said there was a Medical Emergency and we are back in Puerto Rico.  Oh wow.

Sure enough, when I get up top I see we are docked and there is a Celebrity ship next to us.  At first I thought we were back in San Juan.  I later find out it is Ponce, which is on the bottom side of Puerto Rico.

I talked to a gentlemen I had been talking to here and there so far on this cruise.  He was in Concierge and he said he was told it was a medical emergency and at this point the Captain is still deciding if we will make it to Aruba tomorrow.  I guess it depended on how long they had to stayed docked.

I took a few pics.

47133654982_d96ff84bc3_z.jpgseaday61 by Jenseib, on Flickr

46461926614_c9b82b3996_z.jpgseaday62 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I tried a pano shot…I did not succeed!

47133654762_8d52a8cd80_b.jpgseaday63 by Jenseib, on Flickr

46461926504_1645b96a15_z.jpgseaday64 by Jenseib, on Flickr

J and I messaged back and forth, discussing what we heard.

I guess in the end and I never had this officially confirmed, but there was an elderly guest who had health issues and it is believed they passed on during the night.  I was told when we docked the ambulance was waiting, but they never brought the stretcher out for another 45 minutes or so.  After we left port, I really never heard much more about the incident, so Disney does make sure it doesn’t take the magic away from other guests.

This was the route the ship had taken last night.

47161042521_bfed13f069_b.jpgseaday27 by Jenseib, on Flickr

46462125254_cde9697b44_b.jpgseaday73 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I know nothing about this port, but where we were docked wasn’t super attractive.

47133654472_8af9e2caaf_z.jpgseaday65 by Jenseib, on Flickr

46461926394_43a25c875d_z.jpgseaday66 by Jenseib, on Flickr

46461926284_620c8d0aba_z.jpgseaday68 by Jenseib, on Flickr

There was a party bus down there though.

47133654072_112f3d42d1_z.jpgseaday69 by Jenseib, on Flickr

So my guess, at this port, you really can’t get off and do much and would need an excursion.

46461926204_18bdb02c08_z.jpgseaday70 by Jenseib, on Flickr

47185683801_c93bb5e8ac_z.jpgseaday71 by Jenseib, on Flickr

47133654232_c1f97d0398_z.jpgseaday67 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Finally we got the all clear to sail away.  The Captain announced we would be making to Aruba on time tomorrow.  And we seemed to be zooming a long for most of the day.

40221002423_fba4dac541_z.jpgseaday72 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Since we were on the move, I decided to go and take some pictures around the ship so I could get that task somewhat done.

After Hours is the adult area.  I do like the way the Adult areas are on the classic ships verses the Dream class ships.

32219194557_1a82bb2177_z.jpgseaday28 by Jenseib, on Flickr

47162130411_68c7c56c09_z.jpgseaday51 by Jenseib, on Flickr

This store had some more expensive things in it and I didn’t see it open too often.

47109033872_286e9c817c_z.jpgseaday29 by Jenseib, on Flickr

This is the back way into Azure.  Azure is where nightly shows usually took place.

47162130221_84926a0525_z.jpgseaday53 by Jenseib, on Flickr

47110071872_1a2be95fb7_z.jpgseaday54 by Jenseib, on Flickr

46248022375_c6443af577_z.jpgseaday52 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Crown and Fin is on the same page as O’Gills on the Fantasy and Magic.

47162130101_9060e8d960_z.jpgseaday55 by Jenseib, on Flickr

32219194387_139694879f_z.jpgseaday30 by Jenseib, on Flickr

46247808445_6898be7e40_z.jpgseaday31 by Jenseib, on Flickr

We spent a lot of time in there doing Trivia.

47110071722_7e5907b8e2_z.jpgseaday56 by Jenseib, on Flickr

40197097403_f354a1e095_z.jpgseaday32 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I think I only walked into Cadillac lounge one night and it was near the end of the cruise. It’s a quieter place and never had anything going on that interested me.

47162130001_5fcd103a74_z.jpgseaday57 by Jenseib, on Flickr

47110071532_d81194a43e_z.jpgseaday58 by Jenseib, on Flickr

After my quick tour, I ran back to the room to check on Claire and M.  Both were sound asleep.  I thought I would take a pic of our door as I usually forget to.

47162129851_684a7cf6c1_z.jpgseaday59 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I finally went for my walk.  I figured any walking is better than nothing and I had been walking around the ship too.

47110071432_e6fba60962_z.jpgseaday60 by Jenseib, on Flickr

47185683641_7a2d8ede97_z.jpgseaday74 by Jenseib, on Flickr

46247808305_d70d0c53bc_z.jpgseaday33 by Jenseib, on Flickr

40197097273_beb0dcd4c9_z.jpgseaday34 by Jenseib, on Flickr

47185683511_901f25dceb_z.jpgseaday75 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I walked a few laps and I really would have loved to do more, but I have been having some health issues and if I get over heated I get a migraine and it will last all day.  Plus I get sick feeling. I have just found it’s better to stop and I can always come back later if I want to walk some more.

When it comes to cruising, I try to use the stairs to go down each time, but going up, I can’t, so that is the elevator.  I spotted Sophia out meeting as I took the elevator up. 

40221002093_6f470acce3_z.jpgseaday76 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I went and got a drink and then went to shower.  We had been messaging between PT, J and I and deciding on breakfast. J and MK were going to go to Tritons.  I thought it over and I thought I would like to do that too.  PT decided they would like to give it a try too. I was the first one ready, so I waited in the Atrium for the others.

40195420463_e577e6fd41_z.jpgseaday7 by Jenseib, on Flickr

40195420253_f5566dae8a_z.jpgseaday9 by Jenseib, on Flickr

40195420153_384e14aa1d_z.jpgseaday10 by Jenseib, on Flickr

33285174108_f20bc1d99f_z.jpgseaday8 by Jenseib, on Flickr

33285174008_cbbdcee28f_z.jpgseaday3 by Jenseib, on Flickr

47108283242_4c6e313c67_z.jpgseaday4 by Jenseib, on Flickr

46246334405_6d5ef34c55_z.jpgseaday11 by Jenseib, on Flickr

33285896338_8054215ef0_z.jpgseaday12 by Jenseib, on Flickr

47161043641_055eff1e8b_z.jpgseaday13 by Jenseib, on Flickr

40195420683_10328517fe_z.jpgseaday5 by Jenseib, on Flickr

33285895948_1766184a9a_z.jpgseaday14 by Jenseib, on Flickr

After getting several pictures, I sat down to wait…..My view.

47161043431_841d974f9a_z.jpgseaday15 by Jenseib, on Flickr

We were really going fast for quite a while. I think the Captain was trying to make up time.

33285895588_a3c3642fd3_z.jpgseaday16 by Jenseib, on Flickr

33285174238_1131b88bb5_z.jpgseaday6 by Jenseib, on Flickr

PT and F showed up and then we went in and got seated.  J and MK showed up a little later.

We were quickly seated.

47161043291_ef99ef8d05_z.jpgseaday17 by Jenseib, on Flickr

We chatted for a while and it took us a while to place orders.  I honestly wasn’t impressed with the selections.  PT and I got a few pastries while we talked and waited.

I got a soup, which was good.  I didn’t take pictures of the rest of my food and I can’t remember what I even got.  I think it was just ok. Probably breakfast type food.

33285895288_eaf1ff3f53_z.jpgseaday18 by Jenseib, on Flickr

47185683281_98369b712b_z.jpgseaday77 by Jenseib, on Flickr

We sat for quite some time and Claire started messaging me asking what I was doing and when I would be done.  Time to head back to the room. 

As we left, J pointed out the “big table”. On the Fantasy we had gotten to sit at the big round table and I had asked her what the equivalent was on the Classic ships and as we went by she pointed it out.

46462126034_ab06e305d8_z.jpgseaday78 by Jenseib, on Flickr

40197097203_2be9e296b0_z.jpgseaday35 by Jenseib, on Flickr

The princesses were out meeting.  The kids looked so cute.

46462125964_ef1fdd7eee_z.jpgseaday79 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I ran up top for a few minutes and then came back down via the steps.  I tried to get a pic of the After Hours carpet.

47161043171_bc2d2c6c6f_z.jpgseaday19 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I headed back to the room and Claire was up and dressed.  She said M had gotten up and was mad she slept so long as she was worried her body would be out of whack.  Here I thought I was doing her a favor by keeping quiet and letting her sleep. LOL.

Claire was hungry, so we headed up top for her to get some food.

47161043071_ffb61dfe1f_z.jpgseaday20 by Jenseib, on Flickr

And because it’s a cruise, I got some cheesecake!

47161043021_926f23a19f_z.jpgseaday21 by Jenseib, on Flickr

47185682991_b8f6c158fd_z.jpgseaday81 by Jenseib, on Flickr

47161042971_dd43b75ae1_z.jpgseaday22 by Jenseib, on Flickr

33285894308_77381457c2_z.jpgseaday23 by Jenseib, on Flickr

After we were done eating, I decided to do a small load of laundry so that Claire would have plenty of jeans to wear, since she is crazy and only wears jeans these days.  I love that the app now notifies you when the machine is done.

47185682251_ec8d71acfc_b.jpgseaday80 by Jenseib, on Flickr

We just kind of hung out while the laundry was going.  M is platinum and she gets a room gift. She chose the truffles and told us we could have them as she really didn’t want them.

47161042821_15a1196260_z.jpgseaday24 by Jenseib, on Flickr

33285894008_6f4725be76_z.jpgseaday25 by Jenseib, on Flickr

47161042631_2d1a8539be_z.jpgseaday26 by Jenseib, on Flickr

J messaged us at one point and said to meet them at the Concierge Lounge where we would play cards with T and D.  T had also invited J and MK and M, Claire and myself to dinner from Palo in her suite for tomorrow night.  But we had to pick what we wanted to eat today so she could submit it.  This was pretty exciting.  Palo is for 18 and older, so Claire still has 4 years before she can visit.  At the age of 14, she was going to be able to have Palo dinner without stepping foot in Palo.

We had a lot of fun playing cards in the lounge.  I think I only saw one other family come in while we were there.  It’s such a nice lounge and great for relaxing. J said it’s the best lounge between the 4 ships.  This is the only one I have been in so I don’t know any difference.

It was time now to shower and get ready for Formal Night and the Golden Mickeys.  M brought glitter!  When we have sailed with M and her sister Kelsey in the past, they always do glitter on formal night.  She talked Claire into glitter right away and I was game too.  She also talked Claire into curling her hair.  If I had suggested any of these things I would have been yelled at, but M suggests it and Claire has an immediate YES!

We met up with PT and family and headed down to the atrium to grab a free drink! Claire got a non-alcoholic one and M and I got some wine I believe.  Or maybe a fruity drink. We made 2 passes through during the evening.

F just rolled his eyes at our Glitter!  hahaha

Then it was off to the Golden Mickeys!

47185682921_5f3538b20c_z.jpgseaday82 by Jenseib, on Flickr

47185682761_d377b9bca2_z.jpgseaday83 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I sadly didn’t get a very good picture of Claire with her curls and glitter.

46462125534_c2fcdcb484_z.jpgseaday84 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Here is my selfie I took late in the evening.

46247806785_4ff879b564_z.jpgseaday50 by Jenseib, on Flickr

M got in line to be “interviewed” and we went in and found seats.

46247808045_fb993da356_z.jpgseaday36 by Jenseib, on Flickr

46247807955_938b361b1e_z.jpgseaday37 by Jenseib, on Flickr

47185682631_e75052e37e_z.jpgseaday85 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Now the Golden Mickey’s is my favorite show in DCL, but I have only seen it on the Dream.  This version is just slightly different, but still pretty close to the same from what I remember. The Cruella DeVil portion is a bit different and  I like the Dream’s version better.  All in all I think I like the Dream’s better, but both are great.

At the end I typically snap a few pictures.

40197096613_07fdbd87bb_z.jpgseaday38 by Jenseib, on Flickr

40197097083_3a466ac98d_z.jpgseaday39 by Jenseib, on Flickr

46247807795_35edcf0245_z.jpgseaday40 by Jenseib, on Flickr

40197097023_d3ce9994a6_z.jpgseaday41 by Jenseib, on Flickr

46247807615_9a549d8a28_z.jpgseaday42 by Jenseib, on Flickr

That was fun!

Now it was time to head to Crown and Fin.  50’s and 60’s trivia was going on tonight, so the 3 of us got a table.  It wasn’t a very big crowd.  We didn’t do so great, but much better than I expected to do.  And we had fun.

We had a little free time and Claire and M went off together and then I met up with them for dinner in Tritons.

We love the Banana Bread on DCL and someone had asked if we could get some, and we had a whole loaf waiting for us tonight.

46462125374_14f4948869_z.jpgseaday86 by Jenseib, on Flickr

We all started chatting and put our orders in.  MK was starting to open up more now and we were all getting a long pretty good.

I love this menu and ordered quite a bit.

40197096943_cee2d10785_z.jpgseaday43 by Jenseib, on Flickr

46247807405_be8729a6c0_z.jpgseaday44 by Jenseib, on Flickr

40197096863_a620544cd1_z.jpgseaday45 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Claire got more adventurous this cruise and would typically order the featured beef each night…usually plain with no sauce.

40197096803_e1d86e8513_z.jpgseaday46 by Jenseib, on Flickr

This was the view from my seat.

46247807145_92ae45e469_z.jpgseaday47 by Jenseib, on Flickr

40197096723_4eaa530f45_z.jpgseaday48 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Claire once again got nothing for dessert, but next cruise I am going to order her the soufflé because I think she will like it.

46247806975_e44014e9f1_z.jpgseaday49 by Jenseib, on Flickr

We had a great dinner!  Renato still was very slow and disappeared a lot.

We let Krash know that 5 of us would not be at dinner tomorrow but wondered if we could get the pasta purseittes the next night and he said he would make it happen. YES!

We parted with Claire and then headed to play the game of the night, which I believe was snippets and it was a lot of fun.

I was so tired tonight though and the main show was Josh Casey, the juggler.  I just didn’t think it would be worth staying up for him tonight.  PT told me the next day it really wasn’t a very different act from the family show and I didn’t miss much.

Back in the room, our towel animal for the night.

46462124754_3ea6759a64_z.jpgseaday88 by Jenseib, on Flickr

And then we crashed for the night.  Tomorrow would be Aruba!  Maybe I will take a nap on the beach!

Tuesday, Jan. 29, 2019, Aruba

Today we were all booked on the same excursion with the exception of T and D.  We were going to De Palms, which is an all-inclusive type place, but just for a day. It is not a resort.  My cousin had gone here before and said they really liked it.

When we all booked and looked at excursions, this place was not available and we threw around other options.  It then opened up. I am not sure if they opened more spaces or if a big group ended up cancelling out.

Claire isn’t too big on breakfast and rarely eats it and since I was up early, I headed up for some.

46210347775_ea5c72d82a_z.jpgaruba71 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Obviously our detour yesterday wasn’t a big issue as we arrived and docked on time this morning.

46210347095_77aab8fe9a_z.jpgaruba72 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I saw a De Palms bus on the dock and J said she later saw a bunch of them lined up.  There was more than one ship in port today.

46400747184_b4f0d5e234_z.jpgaruba73 by Jenseib, on Flickr

We got ourselves ready and our bag packed and headed to the Walt Disney Theatre to get signed in.  It wasn’t long and we were led off the ship and then onto a waiting bus.

46210347655_7f0a9a0e33_z.jpgaruba74 by Jenseib, on Flickr

46400746964_5f594132cc_z.jpgaruba75 by Jenseib, on Flickr

46210347465_7964def86b_z.jpgaruba76 by Jenseib, on Flickr

46400746724_15ac24b2cc_z.jpgaruba77 by Jenseib, on Flickr

46210347295_b95cd15e30_z.jpgaruba78 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Claire is usually so clingy, so I sat down and expected her to plop right next to me.  Nope!  She sat with M.  You know she really likes someone when she will hang with them as much as possible. PT sat with me and we talked a bit and I just sort of went in a daze and took a few pictures.  Our driver talked as we drove and pointed out things.

46400746394_01755dc303_z.jpgaruba79 by Jenseib, on Flickr

46400746194_a7b30d4f89_z.jpgaruba80 by Jenseib, on Flickr

46210885625_6d3f96a2aa_z.jpgaruba81 by Jenseib, on Flickr

46210885425_2bf9dacb61_z.jpgaruba82 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I saw the Aruba sign and quickly tried to get it.  This truck pulled up just as I clicked.

46210882735_3ac83cb8ab_z.jpgaruba94 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I tried for a 2nd one knowing that we were probably already too far.

46210882535_9ef554c783_z.jpgaruba95 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Total fail!

46210882195_b20af0da8a_z.jpgaruba96 by Jenseib, on Flickr

32182829967_2080730bf4_z.jpgaruba97 by Jenseib, on Flickr

32182829837_92b263681a_z.jpgaruba98 by Jenseib, on Flickr

32182829687_caa4879e85_z.jpgaruba99 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Seeing flowers and flowering bushes at this time of year is just so refreshing!

32182829267_e0126ea309_z.jpgaruba100 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I had only been half listening to our driver.  He was talking about our destination a bit.  PT then asks me, “Did he just say they serve Pee-nus Colada’s?” LOL!!!!!  Yes he did.  And he kept saying it.  His accent was making him say Pina’s Coladas with a little bit of a twist.  We all started just cracking up.  Then he started talking about the “Baby Beeeech”.  Claire totally lost it then.  She kept saying she was going to have a Pee-nus Colada at the Baby Beeeech. 

And we never figured out where the Baby Beeeech is because we kept laughing.

We arrived at a small dock and were let off and then boarded a small boat over to our private retreat for the day.

47086321782_80e6bbebdb_z.jpgaruba101 by Jenseib, on Flickr

47086321722_5f3d3c95fa_z.jpgaruba102 by Jenseib, on Flickr

We are ready for our day!

46153561605_e6fc1f5ebd_z.jpgaruba1 by Jenseib, on Flickr

32125480917_fe355f9a3e_z.jpgaruba2 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I just love the Caribbean blue water.

32125480827_ab059dd76e_z.jpgaruba3 by Jenseib, on Flickr

32196512547_bffcd39868_z.jpgaruba103 by Jenseib, on Flickr

32125480737_ebb13f83b7_z.jpgaruba5 by Jenseib, on Flickr

On the way over they told us what was included and what is extra and where some things were. Unfortunately it was really hard to hear.

46210885245_6875880a9c_z.jpgaruba83 by Jenseib, on Flickr

We arrived and got off the boat and kind of wandered a bit to get our bearings and see where we wanted to go.  We spotted some turtles.

32196512437_b819046796_z.jpgaruba104 by Jenseib, on Flickr

We found some chairs on the beach and claimed our spots and then went off to get drinks.  The drinks were pretty weak, but that was ok by me.  Claire had the virgin and I don’t think there was much of a difference.  I did see some people asked for an extra shot in them (the frozen drinks were coming out of machines).

We just relaxed and enjoyed our time with each other.

46210884955_0448ce7ec9_z.jpgaruba84 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I had found some cute hats at Walmart last fall on clearance and I bought one for me and one for J.  There were 3 left, so I bought the 3rd and figured I would have it on hand in the event of wanting to give it to a cruising friend.  PT was the lucky one.  We all brought our hats and were planning on having a picture with them on later today.

For now, I wanted to take some pictures I could use for any future vacations.

32125559597_a23ab6cc87_z.jpgaruba6jpg by Jenseib, on Flickr

32182829497_60a73b2a36_z.jpgaruba85 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Isn’t that just the cutest hat?

After a while Claire and I decided to head out to the water with PT, and I think J joined us too.

47015099282_74ed9385d4_z.jpgaruba7 by Jenseib, on Flickr

33192116058_69d1bbb8ae_z.jpgaruba8 by Jenseib, on Flickr

It was COLD!!!! So Claire headed back to the seat….. But after being in it a bit it wasn’t bad.  The bad thing though is it was all rocks as you walked in and took a while before you got to sand and your feet would be ok.

33192115988_d04476035c_z.jpgaruba9 by Jenseib, on Flickr

33192115868_69bf422a6f_z.jpgaruba10 by Jenseib, on Flickr

We splashed around and had a good time talking and enjoying the water and playing in the waves that came at us.

After a bit the girls decided to join us.

47074872781_7972d4fb26_z.jpgemily1 by Jenseib, on Flickr

And Z did too.

47074872571_2e8369825a_z.jpgemily2 by Jenseib, on Flickr

We played in the waves as they rolled in.

47074873311_3b61999b6d_z.jpgaruba53 by Jenseib, on Flickr

46351283414_ea66f19807_z.jpgaruba55 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Such beautiful water.

32133347277_8d8bf789e3_z.jpgaruba56 by Jenseib, on Flickr

We saw the tops of these huts and I think this is a private area that can be rented for the day.

46161573045_4deb2b90df_z.jpgaruba57 by Jenseib, on Flickr

After a while we got tired and headed back to our chairs.  To get out, we got smart and basically allowed the waves to push us up over the rocks and land on the beach…basically like a beached whale.  It wasn’t attractive, but we saved our feet.

Another shot of my hat as we sat there.

46210884635_847a5985d0_z.jpgaruba86 by Jenseib, on Flickr

This was my view from my chair.

40110216193_81a7d78a03_z.jpgaruba58 by Jenseib, on Flickr

40110215693_bf24b9bb13_z.jpgaruba59 by Jenseib, on Flickr

46210884365_2a7aa41b9a_z.jpgaruba87 by Jenseib, on Flickr

It was perfect!

Lunch was being served, so we headed to the buffet area.  It was very basic with a salad bar and a few hot options.  However, the food was just not very good and most of us threw a majority of it away.  We knew they had some fast food in another area, so we headed over there.  I think we were starting out with fries but then many of us ended up adding a burger or hotdog too.  We sat around and enjoyed our food and chatted.  This food was much better.  Not high quality, but still better than the buffet.

The kids and F decided then to go on the banana boat and headed off that way. I laid on my lounger and played on my phone dozed a little.

When they came back, F said he was going to go snorkel.  I kind of wanted to as well, but I was feeling lazy.

Before I go on, I will give my review of the place so I don’t forget.

The cost was pretty pricey. I believe it was around $105ish per person.  It was all inclusive, but the drinks I had just weren’t great.  I don’t need strong drinks, but I didn’t think they were super flavorful either.  The buffet food was not good.  The fast food was fine, but for the cost, there should have been more options.

They had a big waterpark area for younger kids. That did not interest us, but that did look nice.

There were a few activities included, like the banana boat and snorkeling.  The beach was small, but it never felt crowded. The swimming area was small but never crowded. Again, it was rocky going out which I hate. Maybe they aren’t allowed to clear them away, but if they can, they should.

Snorkeling there was decent enough (yes, I did end up going), but it was super wavy and a lot of work…but that is mother nature, not their fault.

I heard later some that people asked to be taken back to the ship and asked for their money back as they thought it was a dump.  I didn’t feel that way.  I didn’t feel it was worth the price, but I didn’t think it was that bad either. I just think the cost should be less.

After a while we headed back out to the water again. I took video of J and PT trying to get in over the rocks and I was laughing so hard…but I won’t post that or they would kill me.  I just went in on my belly and bypassed most of them by swimming out.  It was cold, but worth it.

40110215083_dbcbaa949f_z.jpgaruba61 by Jenseib, on Flickr

33200006908_afa41542be_z.jpgjeanne1 by Jenseib, on Flickr

46210884125_5440b2a738_z.jpgaruba88 by Jenseib, on Flickr

We headed back in and grabbed our hats and told Claire to take our picture.  She was supposed to get basically only our heads and she was awful!  I had to crop our bodies out of most she took!

47086321482_62f0bb2abf_b.jpgaruba105 by Jenseib, on Flickr

32196512327_f223bddf25_b.jpgaruba106 by Jenseib, on Flickr

32196512187_d0f8741486_z.jpgaruba109 by Jenseib, on Flickr

They turned out cute though.

F came back from snorkeling and said it was pretty decent.  Even though I felt lazy and didn’t want the chore of putting on a mask, I decided I would regret it if I didn’t.

Sooooo I headed over and got my gear and plopped in the water.

47015622222_9958315c6a_z.jpgaruba11 by Jenseib, on Flickr

47015622102_49842d076c_z.jpgaruba12 by Jenseib, on Flickr

When it came to coral and pretty colors…not much….but lots of neat and different fish.

47015621282_215ae1b726_z.jpgaruba13 by Jenseib, on Flickr

47015621782_92884b9205_z.jpgaruba15 by Jenseib, on Flickr

47015621682_2f84a2817b_z.jpgaruba16 by Jenseib, on Flickr

47015621542_35208e0065_z.jpgaruba17 by Jenseib, on Flickr

47015621472_f624f4a211_z.jpgaruba18 by Jenseib, on Flickr

47015621362_d1b4fa6624_z.jpgaruba19 by Jenseib, on Flickr

47015621142_37d681e9b2_z.jpgaruba20 by Jenseib, on Flickr

47019850042_10bbbdea0e_z.jpgaruba21 by Jenseib, on Flickr

47019849932_e6ff03b3d5_z.jpgaruba22 by Jenseib, on Flickr

47019849752_7340367eaf_z.jpgaruba23 by Jenseib, on Flickr

47019849582_1802fd0ca8_z.jpgaruba24 by Jenseib, on Flickr

More of my snorkeling pics…..

47019849422_2a9fe73845_z.jpgaruba25 by Jenseib, on Flickr

40107167613_59043d24ef_z.jpgaruba26 by Jenseib, on Flickr

47019849242_190f38b185_z.jpgaruba27 by Jenseib, on Flickr

47019849122_a6182e965f_z.jpgaruba28 by Jenseib, on Flickr

47019848772_7150fb30f3_z.jpgaruba29 by Jenseib, on Flickr

32130425627_8280853cfc_z.jpgaruba30 by Jenseib, on Flickr

32130425537_484bc51e64_z.jpgaruba31 by Jenseib, on Flickr

47019848092_7cc07073e0_z.jpgaruba32 by Jenseib, on Flickr

32130425347_61930c59ed_z.jpgaruba33 by Jenseib, on Flickr

32130425177_8fef2d40b3_z.jpgaruba34 by Jenseib, on Flickr

46348283404_bded88d4e5_z.jpgaruba35 by Jenseib, on Flickr

It was really wavy and hard to swim.  I didn’t want to go out too far as I didn’t want to have to swim all the way back in.

32130424937_754b933bf7_z.jpgaruba36 by Jenseib, on Flickr

46348282834_1543838e80_z.jpgaruba37 by Jenseib, on Flickr

40107167843_963acabc1e_z.jpgaruba38 by Jenseib, on Flickr

46348282564_c97d7c1831_z.jpgaruba39 by Jenseib, on Flickr

46158462285_530f0864e1_z.jpgaruba40 by Jenseib, on Flickr

32133185617_b77c0a4c54_z.jpgaruba41 by Jenseib, on Flickr

47022740812_3ce001bbee_z.jpgaruba42 by Jenseib, on Flickr

47022740632_0c085c646f_z.jpgaruba43 by Jenseib, on Flickr

47022740312_500947b4df_z.jpgaruba44 by Jenseib, on Flickr

46351285824_31ea1a2bd3_z.jpgaruba45 by Jenseib, on Flickr

46351285544_bf3a7c1f4f_z.jpgaruba46 by Jenseib, on Flickr

47074874971_652e731d66_z.jpgaruba47 by Jenseib, on Flickr

47074874651_6ef050afc0_z.jpgaruba48 by Jenseib, on Flickr

46351284784_0577b20ce4_z.jpgaruba49 by Jenseib, on Flickr

47074874051_a0fc74f92a_z.jpgaruba50 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I really had a work out out there so I decided to head back in.

46351283904_9b0f6b75a8_z.jpgaruba52 by Jenseib, on Flickr

You have to be careful going up and down the stairs as there are crabs that hang out on them.

It wasn’t the best snorkeling I have ever done, but I saw a lot of variety of fish, so that was neat. I am so glad I did it.  I just love taking pictures when snorkeling and seeing what I end up with when I get home.

Back to my chair to dry off before it would be time to leave.

40173606783_93e287e39e_z.jpgaruba110 by Jenseib, on Flickr

46210883885_bc03b09458_z.jpgaruba89 by Jenseib, on Flickr

46210883665_fbcc4fcc16_z.jpgaruba90 by Jenseib, on Flickr

And then it was time to pack up.  We wanted to head up to the boat area early so we could look at the gift shop.  We stopped at the bathroom and there was a line up and I decided to wait.  As we got to the shop, the others were looking around, so I decided to try the other bathroom since we still had quite a bit of time.  That one was completely empty.   Of course as I walk out Claire texts me to tell me to hurry up as they are getting on the boat!  What? It’s early!  So I rushed quickly and made it!

Time to head back across.

46224416175_d8bb41419e_z.jpgaruba111 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Once we got to the dock we headed to the bus and some people were kind of pushy.  We all will make it back to the ship…don’t worry!

Well the bus was almost full and our party was the last ones on.  We took off immediately and the rest of the group boarded the bus waiting behind us.  My guess is they would not head back to the port till the next boat came to fill that bus. 

Back at the port we had to filter through a building with shops to get back on the ship.  Some wanted to shop and it was too close to all aboard time to go anywhere but here.

I bought a magnet and then Claire, M and I headed back to the ship.

47024811282_b5ee1cb606_z.jpgaruba62 by Jenseib, on Flickr

40112145223_4d70400d0a_z.jpgaruba63 by Jenseib, on Flickr

47024811182_b90bdb8c1c_z.jpgaruba64 by Jenseib, on Flickr

40112145123_5cf16aed6d_z.jpgaruba65 by Jenseib, on Flickr

47024811042_3c405b7731_z.jpgaruba66 by Jenseib, on Flickr

40112145053_315d0db8d6_z.jpgaruba67 by Jenseib, on Flickr

47024810952_f2a71becab_z.jpgaruba68 by Jenseib, on Flickr

40112144953_d2449cd360_z.jpgaruba69 by Jenseib, on Flickr

M and Claire both wanted to shower right away, so M went to the spa to shower.

The show tonight was Mary Poppins. Claire and I have seen it twice already and we LOVE it, but it was going to interfere with our dinner tonight.

Once we were all beautiful, we headed up to T’s room and met with J and MK and T let us in her nice suite.  I did not really take pictures because I don’t know T super well. She’s always nice to me, but I don’t want to invade on her space. Her room was VERY nice and BIG!

It has a dining cove with a nice sized dining table. We had just the right amount to fit in.

Our food came in stages, but we all chatted away. I did take a few pics and stole a couple from J too.

46457404885_81acf7148d_z.jpgpalo4 by Jenseib, on Flickr

33263196618_cf3b414b2c_z.jpgaruba112 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Claire was a little shy at first and I think nervous about the experience, but she soon warmed up and was open to trying things.

47319410322_abd7a44c7d_z.jpgpalo2 by Jenseib, on Flickr

33263196488_660db2a0e7_z.jpgaruba113 by Jenseib, on Flickr

46224415825_9a88815be5_z.jpgaruba114 by Jenseib, on Flickr

47353712931_ec9d669a25_z.jpgpalo1 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I think this was MK’s.

33263196118_98253f1dbd_z.jpgaruba115 by Jenseib, on Flickr

We ate and chatted and it was soooooo good.  Claire was in heaven! She definitely liked her steak.  T eats like a bird, and I think she had 2 entrees and asked if anyone else wanted the rest of her steak.  I knew Claire did, but was too shy to say yes. I spoke up and said she would probably eat….and she did.

It took a while for dessert to come and T called to see why it hadn’t arrived.  They served us and they were one chocolate soufflé short.  They tried to say it wasn’t ordered, but I saw the list and everyone ordered it.  Actually I ordered the amaretto and the chocolate and figured Claire and I could share both or at least try both, since she doesn’t like desserts usually.  T gave me hers and shared with D, which was very nice of her.

47139691061_40624a9f02_z.jpgaruba116 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Claire loved the amaretto soufflé and ate all but the 2 bites I took.  In the future I am going to make her try the Grand Mariner soufflé. I bet she would like it.

33310434218_1710ac20d5_z.jpgaruba118 by Jenseib, on Flickr

MK got this as well and said it was disgusting.

46210883365_7264707990_z.jpgaruba91 by Jenseib, on Flickr

T ordered ice-cream too and I could only basically take a taste. It was good, but I was full!

47139690751_430219cf45_z.jpgaruba117 by Jenseib, on Flickr

It took a very long time for dinner, but we had a lot of fun.  We then headed back to the room and Claire got ready to hang out for the evening.

46210883135_9c45523c8c_z.jpgaruba92 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Another show by Mary Ellen Cooper tonight, and once again she was hilarious.  One show was more about being a mom and the other was about being a wife. I was laughing sooooo hard!

Claire texted me and asked if she could get room service.  Why not?  Of course she is too chicken to call so I had to do that when I got back.  I got some too then!

46210882945_fc084b8b58_z.jpgaruba93 by Jenseib, on Flickr

We had a late night, but we would have another busy day tomorrow, so we finally went to sleep.  M was off with her friends again and came in late and I never heard her.

Wed. Jan. 30, 2019, Bonaire

ABC….B is for Bonaire…..We were traveling around the ABC islands.  Claire and I have now been to Aruba (A) twice, Bonaire (B) today, and Curacao (C) a year and a half ago.  We were completing our ABC’s on this cruise.  Pretty cool!  It just amazes me that I have been able to visit these islands.  If you would have asked me a few years ago, I would have NEVER imagined having the opportunity to visit any of these destinations! I am so grateful!

We had an excursion for just the 2 of us today and it wasn’t till a little later. I let her sleep in a little bit and went off to watch us pull into Bonaire.

32228088977_1c9f7f8c67_z.jpgbonaire21 by Jenseib, on Flickr

47134284142_e5eb18dd71_z.jpgbonaire46 by Jenseib, on Flickr

As I walked around I heard music and saw Cast Members on the stage dancing.

46462533704_5f84e7d38d_z.jpgbonaire47 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I clicked a few pictures as I walked by and went to get a drink.

47134284012_b4c707ac67_z.jpgbonaire48 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I then stopped and watched a bit and went to line up a great picture and was told I couldn’t take one.  OK….????  Then I found out they were working on a new Sail Away show.  I later found out it would have a soft opening the very next cruise and would have its official opening the one after that. (I believe it was the Feb. 7 sailing). 

I have since heard mixed reviews on it. It looked fun and the old one is basically the original show, so it needed updating, but I think many people don’t like the drastic change.  Hopefully I will see it someday.

I took some pics of the port and it is so pretty.

46462533434_d1c4e3d052_z.jpgbonaire49 by Jenseib, on Flickr

47134283822_f376b1e482_z.jpgbonaire50 by Jenseib, on Flickr

46462831884_d6eb2f2eae_z.jpgbonaire51 by Jenseib, on Flickr

46446390414_49bb9f001c_z.jpgbonaire22 by Jenseib, on Flickr

The water was so blue and the island so colorful!

32228088837_de2170a793_z.jpgbonaire23 by Jenseib, on Flickr

46446390144_110d0d279a_z.jpgbonaire24 by Jenseib, on Flickr

32228088627_6386470a2c_z.jpgbonaire25 by Jenseib, on Flickr

47170945911_f8c6970ac4_z.jpgbonaire26 by Jenseib, on Flickr

47170945661_420cc2ed96_z.jpgbonaire27 by Jenseib, on Flickr

47170945341_c740c95654_z.jpgbonaire28 by Jenseib, on Flickr

47170945141_feff2427d8_z.jpgbonaire29 by Jenseib, on Flickr

47118898422_85b995406e_z.jpgbonaire30 by Jenseib, on Flickr

32233804637_ecc01a3080_z.jpgbonaire31 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Those colorful tents were so neat looking.

46261379625_ca3c07c983_z.jpgbonaire32 by Jenseib, on Flickr

47124911372_458d1b8604_z.jpgbonaire33 by Jenseib, on Flickr

47176785441_635430afb8_z.jpgbonaire34 by Jenseib, on Flickr

47124911242_49c71b4625_z.jpgbonaire35 by Jenseib, on Flickr

A walk by the sports deck.

40248968213_80dfd69ef6_z.jpgbonaire114 by Jenseib, on Flickr

47213799141_6fa906157e_z.jpgbonaire115 by Jenseib, on Flickr

40248968113_76a07238d3_z.jpgbonaire116 by Jenseib, on Flickr

47213799061_cb59608c83_z.jpgbonaire117 by Jenseib, on Flickr

And a video I took at some point this morning.

46462831764_bb45937c71_z.jpgbonaire52 by Jenseib, on Flickr

46462831594_e162c1846b_z.jpgbonaire53 by Jenseib, on Flickr

46462831444_b3b85a80a9_z.jpgbonaire54 by Jenseib, on Flickr

46462831254_76d046bc00_z.jpgbonaire55 by Jenseib, on Flickr

46462830954_de5f4f80f8_z.jpgbonaire56 by Jenseib, on Flickr

33387274298_fe4fe45a75_z.jpgbonaire246 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Off in the distance you can see colorful buildings.  We found out later that those are condos being built.

33302909658_d4ae3baab4_z.jpgbonaire36 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I continued walking around and taking pictures around the ship and of the port.

33338304158_226173d76d_z.jpgbonaire118 by Jenseib, on Flickr

47161819272_ff18b934a8_z.jpgbonaire119 by Jenseib, on Flickr

33302909488_c189925947_z.jpgbonaire37 by Jenseib, on Flickr

47213798971_1c7c06e24f_z.jpgbonaire120 by Jenseib, on Flickr

47166765692_2424e9c67b_z.jpgbonaire121 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I kept trying to take pictures of those condos, but it was too far away and the light was doing funky things to my pictures.

47178218691_7edd94cb6e_z.jpgbonaire38 by Jenseib, on Flickr

33302909138_932292efba_z.jpgbonaire40 by Jenseib, on Flickr

46264124235_8b53646e41_z.jpgbonaire41 by Jenseib, on Flickr

46264124095_12ee692384_z.jpgbonaire42 by Jenseib, on Flickr

47218874481_e6eae69d81_z.jpgbonaire122 by Jenseib, on Flickr

If you watched the video you will see I was videoing with one hand and most of these pictures were taken at the same time with my camera.

A look down at Cabana’s.

46304433705_e0db7f4313_z.jpgbonaire123 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I hadn’t realized there was more seating up here…..and obviously no one else did either.

47218874361_cc70c3d7ea_z.jpgbonaire124 by Jenseib, on Flickr

32236558837_b9a316520a_z.jpgbonaire43 by Jenseib, on Flickr

47126398162_d5af3610a6_z.jpgbonaire44 by Jenseib, on Flickr

46304433495_9b38bf8021_z.jpgbonaire125 by Jenseib, on Flickr

A look at another island off in the distance.

32236558767_eb43ce976e_z.jpgbonaire45 by Jenseib, on Flickr

47218873281_ec7c762bc6_z.jpgbonaire126 by Jenseib, on Flickr

33387274198_32d01b67c8_z.jpgbonaire247 by Jenseib, on Flickr

47218874251_1d25e19e33_z.jpgbonaire127 by Jenseib, on Flickr

46304433405_9b413e5a45_z.jpgbonaire128 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I headed down to deck 4 to take an official walk.

46462830834_d58f6e0a6e_z.jpgbonaire57 by Jenseib, on Flickr

47263010281_6232aa6bde_z.jpgbonaire248 by Jenseib, on Flickr

47218874001_d36da140e8_z.jpgbonaire131 by Jenseib, on Flickr

33387273998_00acd1bfc0_z.jpgbonaire249 by Jenseib, on Flickr

46304433095_1e47ca2d58_z.jpgbonaire132 by Jenseib, on Flickr

46304433015_80ffb891e2_z.jpgbonaire133 by Jenseib, on Flickr

And I took some more video.

I did a few laps but as soon as I felt hot I stopped as I didn’t want a migraine all day long.

Then it was time for breakfast.

47218873641_bfd1d45e8a_z.jpgbonaire134 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I pretty much get the same thing every day.

47166765582_dd2396dbb8_z.jpgbonaire135 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I think went for a walk inside and took some more pictures since I had been failing at getting pictures around the ship.

46304432775_2406172f22_z.jpgbonaire136 by Jenseib, on Flickr

47218873491_2dcddc8091_z.jpgbonaire137 by Jenseib, on Flickr

46304432635_d94d8072ee_z.jpgbonaire138 by Jenseib, on Flickr

47218873401_a60da9ea62_z.jpgbonaire139 by Jenseib, on Flickr

47218873151_d68048e277_z.jpgbonaire140 by Jenseib, on Flickr

33356953398_f0a16da983_z.jpgbonaire146 by Jenseib, on Flickr

47172472852_8dbb88fe57_z.jpgbonaire142 by Jenseib, on Flickr

47172473032_5efa7b8509_z.jpgbonaire143 by Jenseib, on Flickr

46310202715_bd833ab793_z.jpgbonaire144 by Jenseib, on Flickr

47172472752_36996ebe7e_z.jpgbonaire145 by Jenseib, on Flickr

47263010091_ccdc4585dc_z.jpgbonaire250 by Jenseib, on Flickr

33387273658_2030446e00_z.jpgbonaire252 by Jenseib, on Flickr

The back entrance to Azure.

33387273808_bd4d74ae2a_z.jpgbonaire251 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I headed back to the room and M was up and ready.  She was going to spend time in port with her crew member friend when he was done working.  We decided to head out to port now and just shop right there till he was ready to meet her.  Claire decided sleep was more important.

47139883602_b135ae239c_z.jpgbonaire76 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Sadly there weren’t a lot of stores right there, but we did find a shirt for Claire.  M picked it out, so even if Claire would normally say she didn’t like it, with M picking it out, she now would.  Hahaha.  She has worn it several times now, so she must like it somewhat.  It was one of those spirit jersey type shirts with Bonaire across the back and it was yellow and other pastel colors tie dyed.

Her friend found us just as we were walking out of the store and I took a couple of pictures of them together and we parted ways.

46462830604_8bf735c898_z.jpgbonaire58 by Jenseib, on Flickr

46462830424_8d9f34ccc3_z.jpgbonaire59 by Jenseib, on Flickr

46462830294_c08b365b2e_b.jpgbonaire60 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I went walking around, but I couldn’t find really any stores in the area. I later found out I would have had to walk about ½ a mile before I found much in the way of shopping.

46463061814_919d89ca8e_z.jpgbonaire61 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I didn’t have time to explore so I headed back to the ship.

47191763871_138f27638d_z.jpgbonaire79 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I got Claire and we headed off to D Lounge to sign in for our excursion.  We were REALLY early, but we grabbed towels and packed them in my bag and just relaxed.  Connor was signing everyone in and he was the nicest guy and funny too.

33356953358_c519c6537e_z.jpgbonaire147 by Jenseib, on Flickr

33356953298_6b0e112896_z.jpgbonaire148 by Jenseib, on Flickr

33356953248_f904263634_z.jpgbonaire149 by Jenseib, on Flickr

33356953208_8b8a01e9cc_z.jpgbonaire150 by Jenseib, on Flickr

When in port we get free data on our phones….and Claire doesn’t waist one minute of it. LOL!

47139883112_959a890d95_z.jpgbonaire80 by Jenseib, on Flickr

We were led off the ship then and then taken to some vans/buses.

46487785434_ef3e88eff6_z.jpgbonaire81 by Jenseib, on Flickr

This gentleman would be our caption on our snorkeling adventure.  I really liked him.

46319372735_2282123962_z.jpgbonaire151 by Jenseib, on Flickr

We had to walk through a resort area to get to our boat.  It looked beautiful.

46319372595_42427a874d_z.jpgbonaire152 by Jenseib, on Flickr

47181688602_67bbaafd1c_z.jpgbonaire153 by Jenseib, on Flickr

46319372455_1769547622_z.jpgbonaire154 by Jenseib, on Flickr

46319372245_eb982a14eb_z.jpgbonaire155 by Jenseib, on Flickr

46319372115_7488c7212a_z.jpgbonaire156 by Jenseib, on Flickr