Embarkation - carry ons

wgeo

This is probably a silly question - but can we just put all of our luggage with the porters with luggage tags?  Is there anything that is required to be carried on?  Obviously we will keep documents and passports with us.  But we are not bringing any drinks on board and don't have any concerns with medication, so is it ok to just not have a carry on?

TIA

6 minutes ago, wgeo said:

This is probably a silly question - but can we just put all of our luggage with the porters with luggage tags?  Is there anything that is required to be carried on?  Obviously we will keep documents and passports with us.  But we are not bringing any drinks on board and don't have any concerns with medication, so is it ok to just not have a carry on?

TIA

It's a good idea to have at least one carry on with the necessary documents, medications, and (not a bad idea) a change of underwear for everyone.  It's rare, but possible, that your checked bags may not make it to your room onboard in a timely manner.

Also, checked bags are not handled in a particularly gentle manner, so I'd worry about anything that could be breakable in a checked bag.

It all depends on your risk comfort zone.

Edited by Shmoo here
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, wgeo said:

TIA

Not sure where you will be leaving from, but at Pier 91 in Seattle (Alaska bound cruises) as long as the luggage has a cruise line issued tag w/stateroom number, the porters will take it.

As you stated, keeping your travel ID / documents with you is very important.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Not sure where you will be leaving from, but at Pier 91 in Seattle (Alaska bound cruises) as long as the luggage has a cruise line issued tag w/stateroom number, the porters will take it.

As you stated, keeping your travel ID / documents with you is very important.

We are leaving from Vancouver and have no medications and are rather excited and hoping to board early, so I was thinking the more luggage we left with the porters the easier it would be to explore the ship for awhile.  Other than paperwork/passports I can't think of anything that I would need before the luggage was delivered, but wasn't sure if the porters or cruiseline cared if we checked most everything.  Thx

You can check everything as you described.  Not a problem from the perspective of the porters or the cruise line.  In fact, they will have no idea if you have carryon.  

Typically we have a backpack when we walk on but are able to drop if off in our room shortly after boarding.  

Enjoy!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wgeo said:

TIA

No problem at all. Just keep valuables, documents, electronics, and medications with you.

• Like 1

Generally, all of our luggage is "carry-on" sized, but we give the rollaboards (suitcases) to the porters and go through security scanning with just one or two daypacks. In which are medications, toiletries, ALL electronics and chargers, paperwork, jackets, and yes, a change of underwear! Oh, and have any wine or other liquids (some lines allow soft drinks and bottled water to be brought on board, but they want to SEE it on boarding) with you through security, or your bag(s) will not be delivered to your cabin but held for you to come open and explain.

Depending on the weather and expectations of the passenger, I have read that people put their sunscreen and swimsuits in the bag they keep with them, probably not the first thing that comes to my mind in Vancouver in June, but the pool is likely heated.

20 hours ago, ldubs said:

You can check everything as you described.  Not a problem from the perspective of the porters or the cruise line.  In fact, they will have no idea if you have carryon.  

Typically we have a backpack when we walk on but are able to drop if off in our room shortly after boarding.  

Enjoy!  

Pretty much THIS.  If it has a tag, and you want the porters to take it, they will.  Nonetheless, my wife always has a purse, and I usually have a backpack.  Documents, passports, a portable phone charger, and MAYBE a few toiletries.  Although it's never been a real problem, we just assume that our luggage won't arrive until 5pm.  So, what MIGHT you want when you have access to your cabin but no access to your luggage?  Aspirin?  Toothpaste & toothbrush?  Bathing suit?  Extra batteries?  I've found that for first timers, they haven't always really understood that they might not see their luggage for awhile.  "But won't we have our cabins by 1pm????"  "Yes," I reply, "but that's a completely separate event from when your bags arrive.  We've had them already be there when we first get to our cabin.  We've (usually) had them just before muster drill.  And they also don't always all arrive at the same time.  

I would definitely keep all paperwork, electronics&chargers, clean clothes and underwear for the same day, just in case the luggage doesn't arrive in a timely manner. Small bag or backpack is perfect, won't weigh a lot and you can explore the ship with no weight on your shoulders.

It can take a couple of hours for your luggage to show up at your stateroom.  So I suggest carrying on your bathing suit (assuming you are planning on hitting the pool) and what you plan to wear for dinner.  You very well could get your luggage sooner....but I think the safe plan is to figure it will arrive while you are at dinner.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Artemis71 said:

Do I have to give any of my luggage to the porters? (Leaving out of Seattle next June) I'll have a good rolling carry-on size suitcase, a tote bag, and a small purse with me. Can I just keep it all with me for boarding?

Yes. As long as your suitcase is small enough to  fit through the security scanner and you're willing to drag it all around until your cabin is available.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Artemis71 said:

Do I have to give any of my luggage to the porters? (Leaving out of Seattle next June) I'll have a good rolling carry-on size suitcase, a tote bag, and a small purse with me. Can I just keep it all with me for boarding?

As long as you can handle it, and it fits through the scanners, you can have as many pieces with you as you want.  It can be a hassle if you want to have lunch, or explore the ship, or sign up for specialty restaurants, spa sessions or whatever — so, even if you are able to handle all your stuff, you might want to to minimize what you have to haul around for perhaps several hours.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

As long as you can handle it, and it fits through the scanners, you can have as many pieces with you as you want.  It can be a hassle if you want to have lunch, or explore the ship, or sign up for specialty restaurants, spa sessions or whatever — so, even if you are able to handle all your stuff, you might want to to minimize what you have to haul around for perhaps several hours.

Or board later when you can go straight to your cabin.

I usually check my bags and carry on a back pack. A long with docs, meds and other essentials I pack  a change of cloths and swim suit in the invent my bags are late getting to my cabin .  I've been platinum for a while and your bags are supposed to arrive quicker, sometimes they don't. On my second or third cruise one bag didn't arrive until after the muster drill and the second arrived while I was at dinner, I had a late sitting. 

• Like 1

Whilst it is not essential to board with carry-on luggage, please make sure you have a suitable bag with your for the last night/day. Unless you choose to self-disembark and carry off all your luggage, you will be asked to put your suitcase/s outside your cabin door during the last evening. You will need to keep back your clothes for the last day and have a bag in which to put your nightwear and toiletries for disembarkation.

• Like 1