Stupid Newbie Embarkation Question

Twipenne

So, I've tried to find the answer to this but my searches have revealed nothing. I've been in several airports throughout my life, but not a single cruise port. My question is, what are the facilities in the terminal like while waiting for embarkation? Is there somewhere to grab something to drink while waiting in the Miami heat? Are there outlets to charge phones, tablets, etc either near or in the seats as some airports have? Do they even have WiFi? Basically, I'm trying to figure out if arriving super early is going to end up being more of a headache than would be worth it for the possibly getting onto the ship a little early?

I was interested to see the replies about Miami, we've never boarded there.

Sounds pretty dire. :classic_sad:

But it's the same (or worse :classic_rolleyes:) at embarkation ports in Europe and the UK.

But don't go thinking the same about your ports-of-call, especially if you're Caribbean-bound.

Plenty of bars & shops & such close to your ship at most ports :classic_smile:

JB :classic_smile:

New York (Manhattan) has a couple of bare bones amenities - some snack food available, but is like all others I’ve seen in lacking comfortable seating, plug-ins, etc.

Of course, cruise embarkation terminals are in use for just a couple of hours on some days — there is not the steady, consistent traffic which justifies investing in the sort of facilities regularly found in airport departure areas.

There are machines to get drinks and also restroom facilities.  I've never looked for outlets, but it's possible that there might be some if you are able to sit next to a wall.  We usually download some audio books and listen to them while we wait.

• Thanks 1

Thanks everyone. Looks like I might end up actually taking my time during breakfast that morning. Oh well, if the worst part of my vacation ends up being a bare bones embarkation terminal, that's a fantastic vacation. I just like knowing what to expect. 

We boarded twice in Maimi and several times in Ft Lauderdale. Arrive between 11 and 1, and you'll be onboard in about 20 minutes or less. Most of the time you won't need anything else.

There was only one time when Independence of the Seas was getting extra time for customs and immigration after a transatlantic cruise, so we spent a couple of hours sitting in chairs like at the airport (it was in 2009).

Boarding the ship isn't like boarding an airplane...it's more like checking into a hotel.  You go thru security (less invasive than at airports), carry-ons go thru the scanner, then you get in line to "check in"...(if there is a line)...any lines move right along, tho.  Then you board!  That's it!  Simple!

The key is not to arrive TOO early...11-11:30am is plenty early enough.  They usually don't start boarding until then, so if you get there earlier, it will be a hot, boring wait.

• Like 1

The only place I ever saw such amenities was Southhampton in the UK.  And they were pretty minimal (think snacks and drinks).  At the time they didn't have long lines inside the terminal, instead gave everyone a number and let you sit and wait to be called.  The line outside the terminal was another story.  It was really loooooong.  Could have used a cold drink then.

4 hours ago, Twipenne said:

Thanks everyone. Looks like I might end up actually taking my time during breakfast that morning. Oh well, if the worst part of my vacation ends up being a bare bones embarkation terminal, that's a fantastic vacation. I just like knowing what to expect. 

Some lines now have assigned boarding times (but I have never seen them adhered to/enforced).   My experience is that the majority of passengers want to get on first, so my inclination is to show up around 2:00 PM - and usually have no wait at all.  If you show up at 10:30 - boarding might not start until 1:00 or 1:30 (possibly later if there is necessary cleanup after noro). I would rather have a leisurely morning - perhaps missing the boarding day feeding frenzy at the Lido, or Windjammer, or whatever the line calls the cafeteria, and just get a snack after the mob has eaten its fill.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Twipenne said:

So, I've tried to find the answer to this but my searches have revealed nothing. I've been in several airports throughout my life, but not a single cruise port. My question is, what are the facilities in the terminal like while waiting for embarkation? Is there somewhere to grab something to drink while waiting in the Miami heat? Are there outlets to charge phones, tablets, etc either near or in the seats as some airports have? Do they even have WiFi? Basically, I'm trying to figure out if arriving super early is going to end up being more of a headache than would be worth it for the possibly getting onto the ship a little early?

Unless you feel you MUST arrive at the terminal particularly early (like before 10)...you won't have much time to even worry about any of this.  We've sailed 9 times now.  A couple of times (NYC and Barcelona), we had do stand in some long lines waiting to check in.  But they were were standing and shuffling along...no time to charge phones or such.  One time (Ft. Lauderdale), we were seated in the terminal for about 20 minutes before being allowed to board.  Not enough time to get very bored or restless.  6 times (out of 9), we arrived, turned our bags over to porters, went through security, went to the desk to get checked in, and then walked onto the ship with minimal fuss.  This is why the amenities are so lacking...not many folks need them!

• Like 2

It's one of those "hurry up and wait" scenarios! You get in line for security, then go into a large room to check in. You will be directed to the correct line [Suite guests and those with loyalty levels go one way, the rest of us go another!]. Once checked in, you will get your card [which has different names for different lines] that will be your passport for everything on board from that point forward. You will be directed to seats - and then you wait until boarding starts. It could be 10 minutes, it could be an hour. There may be refreshments available, but not usually.You chat with the people around you and basically just chill. When your group is called, you show your card and proceed on board [stopping for that obligatory first picture ONLY if you want to!]. Rooms are usually not available until 1:30 or so; you will be directed to the buffet deck to eat or just wander. The buffet will be very crowded because everyone is trying to be there at the same time! 

Try not to carry on too much, cuz you will have to lug it with you until the rooms are open. Some people wear bathing suits under their clothes and just head to one of the pools to wait. Others find a quiet corner to relax. Others start checking out the public spaces. All are options; you find the one that works for you. 

There really is no point in getting to the port super early.  If you arrive too early you will wind up standing in line in the hot sun outside to go through security.  It is actually far better to arrive a bit later.  Ask your hotel for late checkout (but don't pay for that - if they won't give it to you, plan your morning so you have a leisurely breakfast, checkout and check your bags with the bellman, then go somewhere interesting to you.  Have a leisurely lunch, then go back to your hotel to pick up your bags around 12:30 - 1pm and then head to the pier.  

The Port Everglades port seemed OK. Yes, the heat is unbearable, but it helps if you get there earlier, so you don't wait in a huge line to get to the terminal building after scanning and embarkation procedure. Once you get to the terminal building, there is a coffee, tea & water station. Clean restroom, nice seats, there might have been plugs, and there was free WIFI. From there you don't wait much, since the embarkation goes fast and in order, starting from Elites priority boarding.

Most terminals only handle a single ship a day and it may not be every day. It is not practical to have dining facilities. You will be lucky to find a machine. There is usually a separate waiting room for cruisers with high club statuses where they might have coffee and donuts. 

Remembering our cruise in 2016 from Port Canaveral, there wasn't really anything to eat there. We had a good breakfast and drove around Cocoa Beach a little, before going and parking the car at the lot (off-site).

This time - out of Mobile, AL - I have 3 teenagers, rather than 2, plus my MIL, who isn't immobile but needs extra time. Our plan is for me to drop them off at a restaurant, take the van to the port, park it and walk back half a mile or so to where they're eating. Then, make our way to the port for our check-in time. This is so that we don't get caught in the buffet stampede that is sure to happen when we board. And hopefully we can go and get to our rooms as soon as we board.

I'd suggest bringing snacks if you can eat light and then fill up at dinner that night.

On 6/6/2019 at 3:17 AM, Twipenne said:

In Miami the facilities are basic, though each cruise line can and does configure its terminal differently. You will  not find any  restaurants or places to grab drinks. There may be a soda machine, but I  have found that they  are often unplugged. I have never found outlet, but I am sure there are a few around the walls. I  have not seen any special charging stations. The  terminals I have been in do not have wi-fi.

It really depends which terminal you're using, too -- Royal Caribbean's new terminal in Miami is amazing, we had no lines for anything.  (One thing that was different -- you check in first, THEN go through security before boarding.)

Like others have said, if you arrive sometime after 11am, you'll be able to check in and board without having any kind of wait at all.  

On 6/6/2019 at 9:08 AM, Twipenne said:

You can charge your phone in the hotel room overnight. Relax, go with the flow, don’t let undue stress set you up for a wasted first few hours onboard. 

On 6/11/2019 at 9:33 PM, denmarks said:

Most terminals only handle a single ship a day and it may not be every day. It is not practical to have dining facilities. You will be lucky to find a machine. There is usually a separate waiting room for cruisers with high club statuses where they might have coffee and donuts. 

I don't know where you got this info.  Many terminals handle multiple ships per day, every day.  And, while there may be different seating areas for different loyalty levels we haven't seen separate rooms anywhere in Europe.

2 hours ago, crazyank said:

I don't know where you got this info.  Many terminals handle multiple ships per day, every day.  And, while there may be different seating areas for different loyalty levels we haven't seen separate rooms anywhere in Europe.

Given that a ship often arrives by 5am and doesn't leave until 4pm, I'm not sure how a single terminal building can handle multiple ships per day. 

Each ship has to debark 2000-6000 passengers and their luggage, and then board that same number of passengers and bags again, plus all the provisions necessary for the ship for the next week or so during that time as well.  

Now, if what you meant was that many PORTS handle multiple ships per day, you'd be correct.  But unless the European terminals have some magical way of providing for multiple ships out of the same building/pier at the same time that the rest of the world hasn't heard of yet, it's still one ship per day per terminal.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, brillohead said:

Given that a ship often arrives by 5am and doesn't leave until 4pm, I'm not sure how a single terminal building can handle multiple ships per day. 

Each ship has to debark 2000-6000 passengers and their luggage, and then board that same number of passengers and bags again, plus all the provisions necessary for the ship for the next week or so during that time as well.  

Now, if what you meant was that many PORTS handle multiple ships per day, you'd be correct.  But unless the European terminals have some magical way of providing for multiple ships out of the same building/pier at the same time that the rest of the world hasn't heard of yet, it's still one ship per day per terminal.  

Ok, have it your way.