Scenic Amber Deck Question

CanuckinSMA

We are booking this for a Danube River cruise next year.  Anyone who has been on this boat, can you tell me if there is a big difference between the Sapphire and Diamond Decks?  I know there is one room mid ship on the Sapphire Deck but am trying to find out if I should be looking for something on the higher deck - the Diamond Deck??  Thanks.

We sailed on the Amber in 2016 with friends. We took one side of the ship and their stateroom was on the other side of the hallway. Rooms 226 and 227, BA category, so I guess that put us in the Sapphire Deck. Believe me when I tell you that you don't spend much time in your cabin other than to sleep and change clothes. The "common" areas of the ship are terrific and never crowded. The cabins we had were roomy enough for us and the balcony was my morning place before my wife awoke. Butler brought a carafe of coffee and sweet rolls every morning before 7 and I enjoyed that before heading to the restaurant for breakfast. You will have 1 full day of sailing and we spent that on the sun deck counting how many trips the server made while taking care of the folks upstairs. She was terrific and I did not see anyone waiting long to be serviced. The lounge could get a bit hectic in the AM with people lined up to use the coffee/espresso machine. Or you could sit at a table and be waited on (recommend).

We haven't sailed with Scenic, however most people say to reserve rooms on the 2nd deck (mid level) for most boats as you won't hear noise from when they drop the chairs & railings or when people go walking early in the morning.  We usually go for higher rooms in hotels because they are quieter, however the 2nd level on our cruise ship was so quiet it was fine.  We also enjoyed being close to the water, as we could see the swans & river life closer.  As Doverboy says, most of your awake time is spent either on the top deck enjoying the sun, or out of your room, so don't worry about which side of the boat you are on.  Also, it is common to be "rafted" with another boat while in port, so you don't always get to enjoy balconies.

All Diamond Deck passengers get an invitation to the "Table La Rive" degustation meal. If you're not excited about a fancy meal with wine pairings - or if you find the price difference between similar cabins on those two decks is more than you would pay for a fancy meal in a restaurant - it's probably not worth it. That being said, we had 14 nights in a Royal Suite on the Diamond Deck and only heard noise above us a couple of times. So we're going to do it again! 

In a regular room on the Diamond deck in addition to Table La Rive you get two items pressed each day and slightly enhanced butler service. 

When rafted to another ship ship we found it nice to be a little closer to the sky. We’re booked on the Sapphire deck for our cruise coming up this October so we’ll see if being a deck lower matters one way or the other. 

We enjoyed sitting out on the balcony and found that side matters. Our first cruise was Budapest to Nuremberg in August. The cruise direction was basically East to West, which put the sun on the port side most of the time. Our port side balcony  was often too hot to use.  If we cruise the Danube again we will definitely take room location into consideration. 

Our upcoming cruise is north north to south on the Rhine, and in October so I didn’t care about which side of the ship we’re on.