Glacier Bay Flightseeing from Juneau - possible?

Alsmez

I am researching excursions for our upcoming Alaska cruise on Celebrity, which includes stops in Icy Strait Point, Skagway, Juneau and Ketchikan, but no Glacier Bay. I was hoping to do a flightseeing excursion to Glacier Bay out of Juneau, but as I research, I am not finding any Glacier Bay tours from Juneau, only from Skagway and Haines. Am I looking for something that doesn't exist? Thanks in advance for pointing me in the right direction!

This doesn't exactly answer your question, but Celebrity offers a Glacier Bay flightseeing tour from Icy Strait Point that we booked since none of the other tours there really appealed to us. Just throwing out another option, especially since there is plenty to do in Juneau but not many things to do in ISP.

36 minutes ago, AuroraRose said:

This doesn't exactly answer your question, but Celebrity offers a Glacier Bay flightseeing tour from Icy Strait Point that we booked since none of the other tours there really appealed to us. Just throwing out another option, especially since there is plenty to do in Juneau but not many things to do in ISP.

That's helpful, actually - thank you! It seems like whale watching is big in Juneau so perhaps we'll switch tactics and do whales there, flightseeing in ISP. 

ETA: We also have a very long stop in Skagway, so it's possible we could do the scenic train and a flightseeing tour on the same day, depending on scheduling. That may be an option if my parents choose not to join DH and I for flightseeing.

Edited by Alsmez

I've flown several times with Paul from Mountain Flying over Glacier Bay from Skagway. He is based down in Haines so he is probably the one you have found already. I would sure fly with him again if given the chance as Glacier Bay is spectacular from the air. On one flight we actually landed in a pass thousands of feet above the glacier. Unforgetable

On 6/6/2019 at 10:33 PM, geoherb said:

The National Park Service lists a few flight services out of Juneau to Glacier Bay: https://www.nps.gov/glba/planyourvisit/flightseeing.htm

Thank you! I checked out a couple of these but from what I can tell, the flights from Juneau don't do Glacier Bay, just general glacier flightseeing closer to Juneau. It looks like we're going to have to do this in Skagway if we really want to do it. Luckily we should have plenty of time for the train in the morning and a flight in the afternoon given our long hours in port.

On 6/6/2019 at 11:49 PM, DougH said:

I've flown several times with Paul from Mountain Flying over Glacier Bay from Skagway. He is based down in Haines so he is probably the one you have found already. I would sure fly with him again if given the chance as Glacier Bay is spectacular from the air. On one flight we actually landed in a pass thousands of feet above the glacier. Unforgetable

Yes, I found Mountain Flying and a few others out of Skagway and Haines. Basically every review says it's the most amazing experience they've ever had, so we are going to make time for it no matter what!

On 6/9/2019 at 9:33 PM, Alsmez said:

Yes, I found Mountain Flying and a few others out of Skagway and Haines. Basically every review says it's the most amazing experience they've ever had, so we are going to make time for it no matter what!

Hi

I haven’t found this from Juneau but mainly Skagway and Haines. I built myself a YouTube playlist of different excursions across Alaska and have found a few showing what to expect of Mountain Air Service. My playlist is called Travel - Alaska (username Amber86queenbee) if you are interested in checking out the videos from MAS that were most helpful. 

Amber

• Like 2