Has Princess announced new policies on plastic waste?

RoperDK

I haven't seen any official letter or announcement that Princess was going to modify their onboard single use plastic (or other single use items) policies.  Have I missed it?  On the day of the court decision Carnival Cruise Line sent out a letter detailing upcoming changes.  This included no individual cereal boxes, no straws (except for edible straws in frozen drinks), no wrapped butter packets, no individual condiment packages or sugar packets, and no individual coffee stirrers.  All beverage containers would either be glass or reusable plastic.  No drink umbrellas (to hold fruit) or olive picks. Bottled water was still going to be available for the moment, but they were evaluating other options.  Was this letter for all Carnival brands?  Have any of these policies been implemented on Princess?  While I'm all for reducing waste and keeping plastics out of the ocean, some of the changes seem bizarre.  I know this is a Princess board, but I visit other cruise line boards and haven't seen the same policies implemented.  If they have been would you please point me in that direction so that I can see how cruisers were affected by these changes? Thanks!   

• Like 1

I cannot speak for all of the cruises, but we were on a Princess Cruise last month.  Sugar and sweetener packages were paper.  No individual condiment packages.  Everything was either bottles (at the dining rooms or buffet) or pump/scoop at to go venues.

Now they still had plastic straws and cups for the milk shakes at Coffee&Cones.  The International Cafe used paper cups.  The stirrers are wooden and disposable.  The water bottles were plastic.  We did not consume cereal or butter, so not sure how that was.

I will be interested to see what upcoming changes there are.  Not sure about the replacement of plastic straws as to how well that is going to go.  Edible straws?  I am a slow sipper not a fast drinker, so it might not last until I am finished.

Edited by Lindaru
Left out a word
  • Thanks 1

It would be nice to see information when you board explaining why certain common land based items are missing from the cruise ship. Could reduce some of the complaining. In February I did notice some things already were changed. Examples, no wrapped butter, take away espresso drinks in what looked like a thick paper cup, very few straws, coffee stirrers were wood.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

https://www.carnival.com/about-carnival/carnival-guest-update.aspx

The letter in question is specifically addressed to Carnival Cruise Line passengers, not to all the corporate brands.  But it does include the following:

Along with our sister brands that operate under the Carnival Corporation umbrella, we are making a concerted effort to enhance our sustainability practices so we can achieve our goal of being the environmental leaders you expect us to be. 

Last summer when in Alaskan waters there were no straws given from outdoor bars, and indoor bars would only give one if asked. Were not automatically placed in drinks.

Other lines (not Carnival Corp ones I believe) have gone to including reusable water bottles as part of their drink packages. 

The letter does sound like Carnival (the cruise line) is a bit behind the times; I don't recall seeing butter in foil pats, or salad dressing in plastic pouches, on any Princess ship in quite some time. Though it is surprising that cereal and milk are still offered in single-serve form rather than from common dispensers--unless there have been issues in the past passing CDC inspections with the latter.

And dispensers rather than tubes of shampoo and body wash have been fleetwide on Princess for several years now. Though not for hand soap at the cabin bathroom sinks as of yet (NCL does). So what will happen to the "premium bath accessories" for Elites if Princess goes this way as well?

As for the wholesale changes in bar service that would have to come if all this is implemented: I can't believe it wouldn't be more cost effective to just follow the existing environmental regulations in the first place rather than have to placate the courts with this self-serving "pledge" in consequence of past failures. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, fishywood said:

https://www.carnival.com/about-carnival/carnival-guest-update.aspx

The letter in question is specifically addressed to Carnival Cruise Line passengers, not to all the corporate brands.  But it does include the following:

Along with our sister brands that operate under the Carnival Corporation umbrella, we are making a concerted effort to enhance our sustainability practices so we can achieve our goal of being the environmental leaders you expect us to be. 

Last summer when in Alaskan waters there were no straws given from outdoor bars, and indoor bars would only give one if asked. Were not automatically placed in drinks.

Other lines (not Carnival Corp ones I believe) have gone to including reusable water bottles as part of their drink packages. 

The letter does sound like Carnival (the cruise line) is a bit behind the times; I don't recall seeing butter in foil pats, or salad dressing in plastic pouches, on any Princess ship in quite some time. Though it is surprising that cereal and milk are still offered in single-serve form rather than from common dispensers--unless there have been issues in the past passing CDC inspections with the latter.

And dispensers rather than tubes of shampoo and body wash have been fleetwide on Princess for several years now. Though not for hand soap at the cabin bathroom sinks as of yet (NCL does). So what will happen to the "premium bath accessories" for Elites if Princess goes this way as well?

As for the wholesale changes in bar service that would have to come if all this is implemented: I can't believe it wouldn't be more cost effective to just follow the existing environmental regulations in the first place rather than have to placate the courts with this self-serving "pledge" in consequence of past failures. 

When we cruised to Alaska on Princess a couple of years ago there were special rules about disposable type cups and straws while cruising in Glacier Bay.

I have a problem with the reusable water bottle concept.  How are they refilled?  In the lido it is not allowed to refill personal water bottles at the water stations because of contamination from unclean bottles to the spigot that then transfers to the next person getting water.  Plus, it may be a conspiracy theory of mine, but when I drink onboard water I swell up like a balloon. Don't do that with bottled water.  

I haven't seen individual condiment packaging on Carnival for some time except for the wrapped butter.  They are all in some sort of pump device. The Carnival solution is to now offer communal tubs of butter that one would dip into to get the butter. I see trouble there. There has to be a better way.  How does Princess serve butter?  Individual serving cups?

I can see large dispensers of cereal at the lido, but what about room service?  No sugar packets? When I get room service coffee are they going to send a sugar dispenser? Salt and pepper shakers?  Are they going to be sanitized between orders?  Bizarre.

As far as the wooden coffee stirrers, they are going to use reusable stainless steel stirrers.  Why not just use spoons.

The shower dispensers have been on the ships for years, but if cruising in a suite (which we do) you get upgraded bath products.  The letter states that suites would be limited to the dispensers.  Sounds like a cutback to me.

Don't get me started on the drink venue changes.  I can do without a straw for most of my drinks, except for acidic ones.  How am I going to get my olives?  Stainless steel olive picks or no olives at all.  

4 minutes ago, RoperDK said:

I haven't seen individual condiment packaging on Carnival for some time except for the wrapped butter.  They are all in some sort of pump device. The Carnival solution is to now offer communal tubs of butter that one would dip into to get the butter. I see trouble there. There has to be a better way.  How does Princess serve butter?  Individual serving cups?

In the DR it pats in a bowl that you take with your butter knife. In the buffet it's one inch squares in a bowl that you take with tongs.

I can see large dispensers of cereal at the lido, but what about room service?  No sugar packets? When I get room service coffee are they going to send a sugar dispenser? Salt and pepper shakers?  Are they going to be sanitized between orders?  Bizarre.

Salt & Pepper shakers are on the tables in the DR and I think also in the buffet. At the grill S & P are paper packets. Sugar and sugar subs. are also in paper packets. I don't think I read that there is a issue with paper products. 

As far as the wooden coffee stirrers, they are going to use reusable stainless steel stirrers.  Why not just use spoons.

Is there an issue with wooden stirrers? I don't know, but believe they can be incinerated with other items.

The shower dispensers have been on the ships for years, but if cruising in a suite (which we do) you get upgraded bath products.  The letter states that suites would be limited to the dispensers.  Sounds like a cutback to me.

Don't think it's a cutback issue. Probably the entire compliance process will cost more.

Don't get me started on the drink venue changes.  I can do without a straw for most of my drinks, except for acidic ones.  How am I going to get my olives?  Stainless steel olive picks or no olives at all.

Wooden tooth picks?

If you are old enough you remember paper straws were the only option. Worked then.

See above. I don't think you will suffer as much as you might imagine. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, RoperDK said:

17 minutes ago, skynight said:

See above. I don't think you will suffer as much as you might imagine. 

As for the wooden toothpick for olives and fruit, very logical option I might add, Carnival is doing away with toothpicks, too.  So I ask again, what are they going to use?  

I get the sugar dispenser, salt and pepper shakers at the buffet and MDR, but what about room service?

BTW, I think the butter pat option is totally logical and a great solution.

I will try to post the letter that was sent out since it says it will apply to all sister cruise lines.    

1 hour ago, skynight said:

It would be nice to see information when you board explaining why certain common land based items are missing from the cruise ship.

I agree but I don't think that's going to happen, especially considering recent changes are because of a mandate of the Environmental Compliance Plan levied against them by the US court system. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Interesting.  I wonder what the problem is with wooden toothpicks.  My guess, and only a guess, is that the dyes in the drink umbrellas is problematic.  I can't remember the last time I saw foil-wrapped butter on Princess.  Lately it has been little balls, and before that it was the florets,

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Princess already has an extensive recycling program.

It has been in place for many years and is updated accordingly.

Perhaps it is going to be updated again. 

3 hours ago, skynight said:

It would be nice to see information when you board explaining why certain common land based items are missing from the cruise ship. Could reduce some of the complaining

It will also be nice when the items in question cease to be common on land such that boarding a ship presents no great change. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

It will also be nice when the items in question cease to be common on land such that boarding a ship presents no great change. 

I live somewhere where recycling isn't as big as it is on the coasts.

I went to a "nice restaurant" a few weeks ago and it had a paper straw. Not high end nice but nicer than the average. My first encounter with a paper straw. I really tried to use it and it just tasted odd. I give them credit for trying but did what I should be doing and just took it out and didn't use it.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

"We are making a concerted effort not to get caught engaging in illegal dumping.  Any crew member who is caught by the authorities will be terminated.  Those crew members who do not get caught will receive bonuses based on the amount of illegal dumping they commit without getting caught."

We've had the paper straws foisted on us on the west coast for at least 6 months now.  The paper ones are horrible and I've had to resort to carrying my own plastic ones.  We also can't use styrofoam containers.

On Princess, you have to ask for a plastic straw.  As of now, they'll give them to you but in some venues like the buffet, it's a bit of a trek for them to get them from the bar.

Edited by DrivesLikeMario
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Coral said:

I live somewhere where recycling isn't as big as it is on the coasts.

I went to a "nice restaurant" a few weeks ago and it had a paper straw. Not high end nice but nicer than the average. My first encounter with a paper straw. I really tried to use it and it just tasted odd. I give them credit for trying but did what I should be doing and just took it out and didn't use it.

In my youth, all straws were paper. Perfect?  No.

But to be honest, the number of straws that I have used in my home over the past 30 years is zero. If I don’t use them at home, there is no reason why I need one in a restaurant.  I’ve never understood the need to give diners a straw when they are served a glass of water. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

But to be honest, the number of straws that I have used in my home over the past 30 years is zero. If I don’t use them at home, there is no reason why I need one in a restaurant.  I’ve never understood the need to give diners a straw when they are served a glass of water. 

I never use them at home either. For some reason, I do feel compelled to use them when they are put in front of me at a restaurant. I don't know why. I can tell you I don't like paper straws. My area is behind in the recycling world so we are just getting them.

I don't remember paper straws when I was a child but we only ate out a handful of times back in the day.

Edited by Coral
  • Thanks 1

Straws-don’t use them (mom taught me straws were for children)

stir sticks- don’t use them (like my coffee and tea without additives)

bar soap- I can use deer tallow

umbrella drinks- vodka doesn’t go with umbrellas and I’m okay with floating my olives. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

Yes, I am older and remember paper straws.  I have learned to do without straws except for very acidic drinks like a bloody Mary or margarita.  My lips break out. I won't give those up on vacation so I will bring my own reusable straws. Not my first choice, but doable. 

4 minutes ago, neverbeenhere said:

Straws-don’t use them (mom taught me straws were for children)

stir sticks- don’t use them (like my coffee and tea without additives)

[bar soap- I can use deer tallow] yuck

umbrella drinks- vodka doesn’t go with umbrellas and I’m okay with floating my olives. 

I wish they would replace that gold mesh bag filled with single use plastics with something more useful like upgraded souvenir quality pen & paper 

Edited by Ombud