Has Princess announced new policies on plastic waste?

RoperDK

3 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

That might be good for some of the fanatics from california but I can't be bothered washing out a straw on a vacation or any time for that matter.

That's Princess's job & they should be the responsible party to see that plastic straws are properly disposed of. 

1 minute ago, MissP22 said:

That's Princess's job & they should be the responsible party to see that plastic straws are properly disposed of.

It's Princess' responsibility to make sure that your straw doesn't blow overboard as you walk from the buffet out to the pool area?  The only way for Princess to ensure that straws do not find their way into the water is to not supply straws.  Which is exactly what is going to happen.  Get used to it.  I am simply offering a workaround strategy.  But if you think that plastic straws are in this for the long run, your are sadly mistaken.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Ombud said:

Why can't you do without? What will you do when your state follows the lead of California & Washington? Do you REALLY need a single use plastic straw to drink that soda? We are now eating plastic when we eat fish (not me -- I'm a vegetarian) 

Or are you just trying to raise a chuckle? 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/06/06/forget-great-pacific-garbage-patch-theres-more-plastic-deep-sea/1349571001

I will continue to cruise CCL / Princess but wish they would be environmentally conscious 

I can see people drinking a soda without a straw but not some of the blended drinks. 

I'll continue to ask for them as long as they're available and when they aren't I'll smuggle my own & let Princess worry about the proper disposal. 

2 minutes ago, Brighton Line said:

Does Princess still give you a plastic bag with your on board shop purchases but got rid of straws?

All or nothing I would hope.

I assume that the days of the plastic bags are numbered.  And remember.  No one is ever forced to take the bag.  Every day I find myself in a store saying "I don't need a bag", especially if I am in a convenience store or CVS and am only buying a few, easy to carry items.  And I carry reusable bags everywhere.  Even my blue Princess bags.

• Like 1

Just now, JimmyVWine said:

I assume that the days of the plastic bags are numbered.  And remember.  No one is ever forced to take the bag.  Every day I find myself in a store saying "I don't need a bag", especially if I am in a convenience store or CVS and am only buying a few, easy to carry items.  And I carry reusable bags everywhere.  Even my blue Princess bags.

Even the Princess blue bags are only good for a few uses before we throw them out. The ones we got on or last cruise didn't even make it 2 days before they split. 

18 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

In my youth, all straws were paper. Perfect?  No.

But to be honest, the number of straws that I have used in my home over the past 30 years is zero. If I don’t use them at home, there is no reason why I need one in a restaurant.  I’ve never understood the need to give diners a straw when they are served a glass of water. 

As someone who has worked in the food industry, my first thought about straws on a cruise ship is for sanitary reasons. I am old enough to remember the paper straws and not a big deal IMHO.

I really do not like putting my lips on the edge of a glass from a public venue.  I'm sure I will get told that the ship's dishwashing system is top notch..well sorry I have gotten dirty silverware and glasses on a cruise ship.

In my own home, sure no problem as I know how clean the glasses are. I have plastic straws in my home and they have only been used rarely.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, greenie082756 said:

As someone who has worked in the food industry, my first thought about straws on a cruise ship is for sanitary reasons. I am old enough to remember the paper straws and not a big deal IMHO.

I really do not like putting my lips on the edge of a glass from a public venue.  I'm sure I will get told that the ship's dishwashing system is top notch..well sorry I have gotten dirty silverware and glasses on a cruise ship.

In my own home, sure no problem as I know how clean the glasses are. I have plastic straws in my home and they have only been used rarely.

I've found many coffee cups on the Princess coffee rack with lipstick on them.

Not that a straw would help in that case but their dishwashers are sometimes not the best.  

I alway check each cup before just grabbing one & fill it up. 

Same with the glasses & plates & silverware. 

6 minutes ago, galaxyglue said:

Are we allowed to use our own refillable coffee mug (ie a Yeti tumbler)? I'm so used to using it at the restaurants here in Virginia but I know some businesses have a policy against it. 

Yes, but use a clean mug/cup to fill the refillable mug to help prevent cross contamination. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

I can see people drinking a soda without a straw but not some of the blended drinks. 

I'll continue to ask for them as long as they're available and when they aren't I'll smuggle my own & let Princess worry about the proper disposal. 

oh boy !  Image result for eye roll emoji

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

10 states (Arizona, Florida, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Minnesota,  Michigan, Missouri, Mississippi, and Wisconsin) and several countries (Albania, parts of Australia, Bangladesh,  China,  Georgia, Israel, South Africa, the Netherlands,  Morocco,  Kenya,  Mauritania,  Rwanda, New Zealand, Sri Lanka, Papua New Guinea, Vanuatu) have banned plastic bags. Additionally several states now make you pay for a bag ---- so change is coming MissP22. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

If you are going on vacation on the high seas, single use plastics are among the very FIRST things you should care about.  It is one thing to pretend that the plastic one discards in Kansas City won't ever make its way to the ocean, (though I could easily prove this assumption wrong), but to think that single use plastics used on a ship do not impact the aquatic environment is nuts.  One would think that people who cruise love the ocean and everything in it.  And one would think that this subgroup would be leading the charge against introducing more plastic into the ocean.

https://www.earthday.org/2018/04/05/fact-sheet-plastics-in-the-ocean/

Fact #5 is particularly disturbing.

And then there is this...

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/environment/2019/05/newborn-hawaii-beach-already-polluted-with-plastic/

you have to believe in this whole climate change bs and that you personally can make difference, I don't.  I see the political elites promoting all of this nonsense and going about lives business as  usual.   So I can't get very excited  about any of it and do not pay any attention to it at all. 

Getting back on topic: how long do you think it will take for CCL (USA fined a total of 60m), MCS (Brazil fined), NCL (Alaska), RCCL (Alaska: 1st time just 1m, then 2nd fine 18m fine & 3rd time 18m ), who was it who paid UK, and others to minimize single use plastics and dumping? [Yes only CCL was fined this time but others have also paid]

46 minutes ago, Ombud said:

10 states (Arizona, Florida, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Minnesota,  Michigan, Missouri, Mississippi, and Wisconsin) and several countries (Albania, parts of Australia, Bangladesh,  China,  Georgia, Israel, South Africa, the Netherlands,  Morocco,  Kenya,  Mauritania,  Rwanda, New Zealand, Sri Lanka, Papua New Guinea, Vanuatu) have banned plastic bags. Additionally several states now make you pay for a bag ---- so change is coming MissP22. 

I live in Arizona and I still get plastic bags from the stores. 

• Like 1

According to Google those listed have signed onto single use plastic bag ban but apparently its wrong. We get thick ones here but not the thin ones anymore  and pay 10c per bag. (I don't, I have reusable cloth ones)

But I digress

1 hour ago, Ombud said:

You might want to check your facts a bit. I live in one of the states you have listed and plastic bags are not banned in the state....there might be select cities within the state that are working toward that, but no where near the entire state....just sayin'  😉

• Like 1

Once again: copied from Google which is wrong (obviously) but I can hope it will be banned in the states by years end 

I feel a responsibility to future generations to not hand down a polluted planet (and a financially sound SSA -- but that would be another hornet's nest here 😈)

Here's where I got wrong info: 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.getaway.co.za/travel-news/countries-that-have-banned-plastic/&ved=2ahUKEwjX2--GvtjiAhUDWqwKHQZYDa4QFjAFegQIDhAV&usg=AOvVaw3Dd0UYbAZBO_Izt7KuWT80

10 states (Arizona, Florida, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Minnesota,  Michigan, Missouri, Mississippi, and Wisconsin) and several countries (Albania, parts of Australia, Bangladesh,  China,  Georgia, Israel, South Africa, the Netherlands, Morocco,  Kenya,  Mauritania,  Rwanda, New Zealand, Sri Lanka, Papua New Guinea, Vanuatu) have banned plastic bags. Additionally several states now make you pay for a bag ---- so change is coming 

Where are plastic bags banned around the world? — Quartz
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://qz.com/1413165/where-are-plastic-bags-banned-around-the-world%E2%80%8B/&ved=2ahUKEwilxKODv9jiAhVRhuAKHYHwD0kQFjABegQIARAJ&usg=AOvVaw0PzCE1LicBwiqqhKfGemJY

Edited by Ombud

3 hours ago, Ombud said:

I guess I should have finished reading the entire thread.  Here is what Google has wrong about Idaho.  The stores here still supply plastic bags to consumers.  I personally bring my own canvas/waxy paper reusables for shopping, and at least my area of Idaho still accepts plastic bags to recycling centers and have places near stores where you can drop them for recycling.

Edited by Lindaru
Clarification

The original question BY RogerDK was:  

HAS PRINCESS ANNOUNANCED NEW POLICIES ON PLASTIC WASTE?

This week, Carnival Corp. and its subsidiary Princess Cruise Lines has been ordered (by a US Federal Judge) to pay $20 million for environmental violations just two years after it paid $40 million for dumping oil-contaminated waste into the ocean, the largest penalty of its kind at the time.

Also, Carnival Corporation admitted it was guilty of committing six probation violations. Two of these violations involved the company interfering with the court’s supervision of probation by sending undisclosed teams to ships to prepare them for the independent inspections required during probation.

The revised sentence imposed by Judge Seitz also requires that Princess Cruise Lines remain on probation for three years.

Carnival must also issue a statement to all employees in which Carnival’s CEO accepts management’s responsibility for the probation violations, appoint a new corporate compliance officer, create an executive compliance committee across all cruise lines, and pay up to $10 million per day if it does not meet deadlines for submitting and implementing needed changes to its corporate structure.

The cruise line must also “make major changes in how the company uses and disposes of plastic and other non-food waste to urgently address a problem on multiple vessels concerning illegal discharges of plastic mixed with other garbage,” the Justice Department said.

Personally, I have negative opinion about Carnival and Princess Lines relative to keeping the environment safe.  John

4 hours ago, pris993 said:

you have to believe in this whole climate change bs and that you personally can make difference, I don't.  I see the political elites promoting all of this nonsense and going about lives business as  usual.   So I can't get very excited  about any of it and do not pay any attention to it at all. 

Please get your issues straight. Plastic in the ocean has nothing to do with climate change. There is nothing to "believe" or "disbelieve" when it comes to plastic trash in the ocean. It is there. In massive quantities.  And every molecule of it is man-made and man-disposed. It isn't changing the climate. But it is altering the oceans and the biodiversity therein. There is nothing unproven or controversial about these facts.  Do some reading. The newly created beach in Hawaii that sprung from the volcanic eruptions is 40% microplastics. That is not theory or spin. It is an empirical fact. Not believing in plastic trash is like not believing in gravity. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

Please get your issues straight. Plastic in the ocean has nothing to do with climate change. There is nothing to "believe" or "disbelieve" when it comes to plastic trash in the ocean. It is there. In massive quantities.  And every molecule of it is man-made and man-disposed. It isn't changing the climate. But it is altering the oceans and the biodiversity therein. There is nothing unproven or controversial about these facts.  Do some reading. The newly created beach in Hawaii that sprung from the volcanic eruptions is 40% microplastics. That is not theory or spin. It is an empirical fact. Not believing in plastic trash is like not believing in gravity. 

have you seen it with own eyes?  I have seen experts on TV that claim most of what is written is not valid because those funding research and articles are biased.    If you are working in the field you can't work unless you publish what the political elites want you to say.   

7 minutes ago, pris993 said:

have you seen it with own eyes?  I have seen experts on TV that claim most of what is written is not valid because those funding research and articles are biased.    If you are working in the field you can't work unless you publish what the political elites want you to say.   

Huh?  Conspiracy theory nonsense. What in the world do political elites (a term by the way, that has no meaning or accepted definition) have to do with plastic trash in the ocean? This is not a political issue or a funding bias issue.