Has Princess announced new policies on plastic waste?

RoperDK

21 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

Huh?  Conspiracy theory nonsense. What in the world do political elites (a term by the way, that has no meaning or accepted definition) have to do with plastic trash in the ocean? This is not a political issue or a funding bias issue. 

you and I are not going to agree... enjoyyour cruise, and I will too, you want to worry about plastics I don't.  End of story. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pris993 said:

have you seen it with own eyes?  I have seen experts on TV that claim most of what is written is not valid because those funding research and articles are biased.    If you are working in the field you can't work unless you publish what the political elites want you to say.   

Yes, I saw styrofoam cups in the water while we were going from Bali to Kuala Lumpur on the Sapphire last November

You people have got me convinced. 

I'm saving all plastic bags as well as collecting them from different locations to use when the ban comes into effect. 😁😁 LOL

What will people use to dispose their household garbage in? 

I guess they'll have to go & purchase new plastic bags for that. 😏

8 hours ago, pris993 said:

you and I are not going to agree... enjoyyour cruise, and I will too, you want to worry about plastics I don't.  End of story. 

Some of us care about the environment.  Some of you don't.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

You people have got me convinced. 

I'm saving all plastic bags as well as collecting them from different locations to use when the ban comes into effect. 😁😁 LOL

What will people use to dispose their household garbage in? 

I guess they'll have to go & purchase new plastic bags for that. 😏

I don't need a plastic bag to toss out garbage just a plastic bucket that I take to the larger can, empty it out, rinse, and put back under sink. Once again your logic is amusing 😁

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ombud said:

I don't need a plastic bag to toss out garbage just a plastic bucket that I take to the larger can, empty it out, rinse, and put back under sink. Once again your logic is amusing 😁

Not where we live. They want it in plastic bags so it doesn't get all over the place.

Your logic sound smelly at best & requires lots of clean up afterwards. 

image.jpeg.ceff2937cef6454150e41d5d22517752.jpeg

1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

Not where we live. They want it in plastic bags so it doesn't get all over the place.

Your logic sound smelly at best & requires lots of clean up afterwards. 

Not really. I sincerely doubt the garbage man cares what's in my 20 gallon can his truck picks up with its mechanical arm. It just requires me to take responsibility for my actions. I'm not entitled 

Again apologies for going off topic -- this is about CCL, MSC, NCL, RCCL etal moving forward in an environmentally conscious way 

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Not really. I sincerely doubt the garbage man cares what's in my 20 gallon can his truck picks up with its mechanical arm. It just requires me to take responsibility for my actions. I'm not entitled 

Again apologies for going off topic -- this is about CCL, MSC, NCL, RCCL etal moving forward in an environmentally conscious way 

Keep up the effort in California. They seem to lead the way with most of these weird and crazy actions.

And yes it is the cruise ships responsibility to put forth an effort to keep the oceans clean which they seemed to have failed to do so now we'll all have to pay going forward.   

It's nice to be entitled. 

On 6/6/2019 at 6:42 PM, JimmyVWine said:

In my youth, all straws were paper. Perfect?  No.

But to be honest, the number of straws that I have used in my home over the past 30 years is zero. If I don’t use them at home, there is no reason why I need one in a restaurant.  I’ve never understood the need to give diners a straw when they are served a glass of water. 

My thoughts exactly,  a big to do about nothing.

• Like 3

On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 12:48 PM, peanutter said:

Just wanted to add a reason for the WHY question about "needing" to use a straw - I try to keep as much acidic stuff away from my teeth as possible.  This includes tea, coffee, lemonade, coke (rarely drink) and really anything besides water (which I drink a lot of).  I'm fortunate to have healthy teeth and I want to keep them that way.

I agree with this.  I mostly drink water, but have been told by my dentist to use a straw to lessen contact with the teeth for certain types of beverages.  As an added problem for me, drinking acidic juices cause my lips to break out.  I think I will look into the silicone straws.   

17 hours ago, RoperDK said:

I agree with this.  I mostly drink water, but have been told by my dentist to use a straw to lessen contact with the teeth for certain types of beverages.  As an added problem for me, drinking acidic juices cause my lips to break out.  I think I will look into the silicone straws.   

If Princess can't keep the plastic straws out of the ocean then they should be the ones providing the silicone straws. 

• Like 1

On 6/8/2019 at 1:33 AM, pris993 said:

have you seen it with own eyes?  I have seen experts on TV that claim most of what is written is not valid because those funding research and articles are biased.    If you are working in the field you can't work unless you publish what the political elites want you to say.   

As someone who has spent the last 44 years at sea, and has way more days at sea than a lot of CC members, combined, I can say with certainty that there is a massive amount of plastic in the ocean (can't and won't comment on the plastic laced lava).  Even 1 mile off the world renown Copacabana beach, there is a permanent floating "barrier" of plastic that has been there for decades.  It is a massive problem, one that is not getting any better, and one that mariners have to deal with every day of our working lives, while 90% of the problem comes from coastal communities, not ships.

• Like 8

On 6/7/2019 at 12:56 PM, tailspintom said:

So, using your logic, the EPA has a program to dump toxic waste from gold mines into streams.

The Princess program is to conform to its mandated waste management requirements. Is it perfectly executed? Obviously not.

If you read the report of the Court Appointed Monitor, for the first year of probation, during which Princess and all of Carnival Corp was mandated to upgrade their compliance plan, and read the comments by the judges to the assembled Carnival board members and senior management in the court, you would find that the Carnival Corp compliance plan was implemented to fail from the beginning, with the inherent complicity of said senior management.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

As someone who has spent the last 44 years at sea, and has way more days at sea than a lot of CC members, combined, I can say with certainty that there is a massive amount of plastic in the ocean (can't and won't comment on the plastic laced lava).  Even 1 mile off the world renown Copacabana beach, there is a permanent floating "barrier" of plastic that has been there for decades.  It is a massive problem, one that is not getting any better, and one that mariners have to deal with every day of our working lives, while 90% of the problem comes from coastal communities, not ships.

good a first person account.  Sounds like a 3rd world problem, unfortunately only 1st world folks seem to be concerned.  

4 minutes ago, pris993 said:

good a first person account.  Sounds like a  world problem, unfortunately only 1st world folks seem to be concerned.  

Removed (3rd) as it's even a problem in Monterey Bay (CA). Can't speak about Southeast USA.  If other posters are to be believed, Florida has plenty of space to dump plastic bags so that might be a viable alternative to the other countries no longer willing to take our junk

7 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Removed (3rd) as it's even a problem in Monterey Bay (CA). Can't speak about Southeast USA.  If other posters are to be believed, Florida has plenty of space to dump plastic bags so that might be a viable alternative to the other countries no longer willing to take our junk

I live in california... state has the toughest environmental regs there are.  I have lived on the coast as well here have not seen what you are saying at all.   Spend a lot of time out around SF bay, again don't see there is a problem there either.    I was rasied to respect environment and do, when I am out and about... never ever toss plastics or other trash.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pris993 said:

good a first person account.  Sounds like a 3rd world problem, unfortunately only 1st world folks seem to be concerned.  

Hardly.  Here's a photo taken by the US Fish & Wildlife Dept in the Florida Keys

Seaborne plastics litter mangroves

Or a beach in Norway:

plastic-pollution-coastal-care-norway

Or, even closer to home for you, the LA river:

plastic-pollution-la

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Hardly.  Here's a photo taken by the US Fish & Wildlife Dept in the Florida Keys

Seaborne plastics litter mangroves

I can verify this.  I'm from the Keys and many of the mangrove coasts looked like that. Thing is, we can't blame Florida.  The way the Loop Current works, most of that garbage floated up from the Caribbean. 

Did you ever see my camera story?  I found a camera washed ashore in Key West.  It was lost in Aruba and took 6 months to make its way all the way to a Keys beach. 

• Like 1

A whole world problem. Will it stop me from cruising? No. I just wish the cruise lines would cut down on single use plastics and recycle with the bigger picture in mind

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

I can verify this.  I'm from the Keys and many of the mangrove coasts looked like that. Thing is, we can't blame Florida.  The way the Loop Current works, most of that garbage floated up from the Caribbean. 

Did you ever see my camera story?  I found a camera washed ashore in Key West.  It was lost in Aruba and took 6 months to make its way all the way to a Keys beach. 

get florida to deal with it.  like ca... 

28 minutes ago, Ombud said:

A whole world problem. Will it stop me from cruising? No. I just wish the cruise lines would cut down on single use plastics and recycle with the bigger picture in mind

it is not our job to police companies, cruise lines or otherwise, govt needs to do their job.   Enjoy your cruise.. that why we cruise.  Unfortunately, we see most of politicians talk a good story but do not really get results... I support those who do get results.  

2 minutes ago, pris993 said:

it is not our job to police companies, cruise lines or otherwise, govt needs to do their job.   

They do, which is why Princess and Carnival Corp have been fined $60+ million by the government in the past 2 years. 

• Like 2