Booking dinners and shows

Dreams42Day

I am going to start booking dinners and shows for my cruise on the Getaway soon. I am curious, how much time should I allow for dinner? I don't want to be rushed during dinner due to the start time of a show but I also don't want a big time gap between the two. 

Also- am I correct in thinking that the drink package does not include bottled water? Does the soda package include bottled water? I drink a lot of water and am wondering the best (cheapest) way to be stocked with water for the cruise. 

The system blocks 2.5 hours when you make a dinner reservation and will not let you schedule a show sooner. They can override on the ship. 

The Premium Beverage Package and Soda Package do NOT include bottled water. You would have to upgrade to the Premium PLUS Beverage Package to get bottled water. 

https://www.ncl.com/onboard-packages/beverage-packages

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1

The cheapest way to get water throughout the cruise is to use the free water that is available at all bars, at the buffet and from the sink in your cabin.

if you want to have it in bottles it is a bit of a pain as you aren’t allowed to fill them directly. However it is very easy to come by in a glass.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

The system blocks 2.5 hours when you make a dinner reservation and will not let you schedule a show sooner. They can override on the ship. 

On our May 19 Bliss Alaska cruise, we booked online in advance.  The system required a 2 hour gap.  Which is a good time.  You can comfortably finish your meal in 90 minutes and have time to get to the theater.  If you have theater reservations, don't show up at 1 minute before showtime, though.  At about 10 minutes til, they will start letting the standby line in.  So for a 7:30 show, I'd do dinner at 5:30.  You'll be done by 7 (on our last cruise, the wait staff always asked when we sat if we had something scheduled.  They adjusted the speed if they needed to.  That was very nice.).  Time to grab a drink for the show and get a decent seat.  If you want to sit front and center, you'll need to arrive more like 7 pm...so that WOULD require an adjustment to your dining timing.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Prnsessmoi said:

I read somewhere, that upon returning to the ship in warm ports, they greet you with cold towels.  Did I read that they also give you water?

Depends.

On our Alaska cruise, we were greeted with hot beverages in little cups.  On previous warm weather cruises, they sometimes had stations with ice tea and lemonade, as well as water.  But yes, for your to dispense into a small cup.  

Thanks for all of the great information!! Is there any way to see the times for the shows prior to the ability to book? I would like to see what times are offered to get a game plan going but it is just telling me that it is too early to book. 

3 hours ago, Dreams42Day said:

I got the 3 meal specialty dining package as a promo offer. I booked through Costco. Will I have any problems reserving my dinners on the NCL website?

Booking through a travel agent shouldn't effect this. If there are any specific issues with particular booking agents then I'm not aware of them.

3 hours ago, Dreams42Day said:

Thanks for all of the great information!! Is there any way to see the times for the shows prior to the ability to book? I would like to see what times are offered to get a game plan going but it is just telling me that it is too early to book. 

They're usually 7:30 and 10 for the big shows. Comedians might vary, with the 18+ always 10 or later -- but you probably can't book those ahead of time. 

If you can find someone that's posted the dailies from your ship with the same itinerary that will give you a decent idea, but it's not 100% guaranteed. 

Edited by smplybcause