Live Updates NCL Star June 9-16

Stealthdog

We are leaving tonight for an overnight flight to Venice.  We will start posting some live updates when we get to the ship on Sunday.  If anyone has any specific requests, let me know and we will see what info we can get for you.

• Like 3

Will be following since we are on this ship/itinerary in September.  Where are you staying in Venice?  We decided on Hotel Carlton on Grand Canal mostly just to be able to walk there after a taxi or bus from the airport.

Here is what I would like to know:

1) What shape is the ship?

2) How is the food?  We booked Cagneys, La Cucina and the Brazilian restaurant.

3) And the most important one if you get a chance to post the cocktail/wine list that would be great.  We do have the beverage package and are easy to please drinkers but still would like to see a current list, especially wine.

Thank you and have a wonderful safe trip!

Edited by firstimer2009

I’ll get you #1 and #3.  We are doing Carney’s, Le Bistro, and La Cucina.  We arent doing Moderno, so won’t be able to talk that one. 

We we are staying in San Marco area before cruise and spending another 2 days in Venice after.

Look forward to your reviews! We leave next Friday for Venice and board the Star Sunday, June 16. This is our family trip celebrating our daughter's high school graduation / 18th birthday. She’s worried there won’t be anyone her age to hang out with, while our 8- year-old daughter is already looking forward to making friends at the pool and kids club. We’re staying at the Hilton pre-cruise, and JW Marriott post-cruise. Have fun! 

Can’t wait for the updates...we are on this sailing on 6/23!  Most curious about shore excursions (did you book any with NCL??) and disembark process as I’ve been majorly stressing that our noon flight home is going to be tight.  

On 6/8/2019 at 2:30 AM, Say811 said:

Can’t wait for the updates...we are on this sailing on 6/23!  Most curious about shore excursions (did you book any with NCL??) and disembark process as I’ve been majorly stressing that our noon flight home is going to be tight.  

We booked all thru 

C0B9D6C2-1170-45B0-8E86-D6512B40DAD2.jpeg

• Like 5

Pre-embarkation.  We stayed in San Marco - about 100 feet from the Basilica.  It is a great location and near everything.  The waterbus from the airport to the main island is the cheapest but it takes about an hour and half.  If you are rushed for time a water taxi is quicker but costs more.  They have a number of options for museums - we paid for a package that includes 10 museums because we are spending two more days there after cruise.  Did the Doges Palace, the tower, and the museums in the square.  They are all great and you could spend hours in each.  Getting to cruise port is very easy as well - water bus on the blue line.  $8 a person and only takes about 20 minutes.  Busses leave every 30 minutes from San Marco.

• Like 1

Embarkation - getting to the pier was really easy.  Again, water bus was cheapest option - $8/person from San Marco and only took about 20 minutes.  Buses leave every 30 minutes.  Be prepared for a long walk though. There were 5 ships in port (including the MSC Opera which still looked grounded from its crash into the River Princess 2 weeks ago).  It was about a 3/4 mile walk from the waterbus station to the luggage drop off.  We are in a suite so it was really quick to get on the ship.  The lines did not seem very long so boarding once there should not take too much time.  It looked like they were giving people boarding numbers and were boarding people by group.  On the way out of pier, you will pass Venice on the left side and it is a really nice sailing out of port.  You will also be able to see the River Princess - it is roped off and being repaired.

• Like 1

Stealth dog,

THANK you so much for the fantastic update & pics. Looks like an excellent  start to a great cruise. Can't wait until my cruise in August.  Do you know anything about the beverage package upgrade that includes water & specialty coffee? 

Have a fun time & I look forward to hearing more. 

Cheers!

Jenny 🍾

Edited by Jenjohncourt

Stealthdog, you are rock star!

Love your mimosa choice.  For me it's mimosa's before noon and straight champagne after that.  So if we board early it will be a mimosa.

I take it you ate at Lu Cucina first night.  How was it?  I ate their years ago on the Pearl and thought it was good.  I know they've really changed the décor.  I kind of liked the trattoria style it was before. 

Also thank you for the wine list.  I am going to buy some of those reds in the $15.00 by glass range although we are in Venice 4 nights before we leave, so I plan on taking 4 bottles of red wine for dinner and just paying corkage.  Another reason we stayed closer to the Piazalle Roma. 

Continue to have fun!  Looks like you will.

On 6/8/2019 at 2:30 AM, Say811 said:

We booked all excursions with NCL this time.  With the status discount and $50 off per port, it made sense for this trip.  We are debating cancelling one and just doing a beach trip on our own.  Today in Kotor we did the Hike up the city walls.  It was really strenuous but definitely worth it when you get the castle have great views of the whole port.  Kotor is a really cute town though.  It’s a tender port, but the city is across the street from the port.  IMHO an excursion is not necessary.  You can just get a map and walk through the city yourself.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, eowyn13 said:

I would love updates on the main dinning room menus please.

Also the room service menu please.

will be on board in 2 weeks 

I’ll take a few photos of the MDR menus.  We probably won’t eat there so won’t be able to give any recommendations.  The ship is doing daily meat specials though.  Last night was a tenderloin and tonight is pepper steak.

• Like 1

Just now, Stealthdog said:

We booked all excursions with NCL this time.  With the status discount and $50 off per port, it made sense for this trip.  We are debating cancelling one and just doing a beach trip on our own.  Today in Kotor we did the Hike up the city walls.  It was really strenuous but definitely worth it when you get the castle have great views of the whole port.  Kotor is a really cute town though.  It’s a tender port, but the city is across the street from the port.  IMHO an excursion is not necessary.  You can just get a map and walk through the city yourself.

We also booked NCL excursions in every port.  We are booked on the hike up the walls as well...we are both in our 30’s and of average fitness but I have a lot of anxiety about this one!  Did everyone in your group make it to the top?  What is the guide’s pace - meaning can you stop if you need to or are there breaks along the way?

9 minutes ago, Say811 said:

We also booked NCL excursions in every port.  We are booked on the hike up the walls as well...we are both in our 30’s and of average fitness but I have a lot of anxiety about this one!  Did everyone in your group make it to the top?  What is the guide’s pace - meaning can you stop if you need to or are there breaks along the way?

You will be fine.  3 people stopped halfway up - an old man and a couple of his grandchildren.  There were 3 stops on the way up.  The pace was not that tough, but some of the steps are really narrow.  Bring some extra water with you.  They will only give you one small bottle per person.  We brought a large bottle for each of us as well.

410D60EA-4C77-4D96-B1E2-DECA51735D25.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, firstimer2009 said:

I take it you ate at Lu Cucina first night.  How was it?  I ate their years ago on the Pearl and thought it was good.  I know they've really changed the décor.  I kind of liked the trattoria style it was before. 

Cucina was wonderful.  It was better on the Star than the Sun.  The location on the Sun was better because they have seats along the windows the ship looking out.  On the Star it is inside the middle of the ship.

We got 3 appetizers, 3 entrees, and 2 desserts.  All were great.  We doing 2 nights in Carney’s and 2 in Bistro.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stealthdog said:

You will be fine.  3 people stopped halfway up - an old man and a couple of his grandchildren.  There were 3 stops on the way up.  The pace was not that tough, but some of the steps are really narrow.  Bring some extra water with you.  They will only give you one small bottle per person.  We brought a large bottle for each of us as well.

410D60EA-4C77-4D96-B1E2-DECA51735D25.jpeg

Thanks for the reassurance on the walls...any chance you are biking in Corfu tomorrow?  Lol...