No dress code on Viking River

jasardeax

Just back from Amsterdam to Basel river cruise on the Viking Einar. 

I was surprised that there was absolutely no dress code for the dining room. I wasn’t surprised that this was the case for breakfast and lunch, but it also held true for dinner.

Although many people dressed “country club casual” for dinner, and looked  very 

nice, cut-off shorts, men’s sleeveless tee 

shirts, running shorts, tee shirts with inappropriate language, torn blue jeans, and men’s caps were worn by more than a few every night. 

I’m sure this lack of a dress code for dinner will be welcome by some, and not so welcoming to others. 

We have been on 3 previous Viking River Cruises, as well as 3 Viking Ocean cruises,

and were also surprised.

On previous cruises it was rare to see anyone dressed as inappropriately

as quite a few people on this cruise.

Inappropriately is only in my opinion, others obviously feel differently. 

While I don’t want to go back to ballgowns every night I do wish people would dress appropriately for dinner. Americans have become too casual IMHO.  We leave next week on Viking and I will be wearing a dress most evenings. The DH will be wearing button down dress shirts and dress pants. The only exception would be if we get back too late from an excursion.  Even then I bet we’d run and change and freshen up.

it really doesn’t take that much effort. It’s takes a few minutes to change your clothes.  When you wear a t shirt, shorts and ball cap to dinner it’s just not respectful to the occasion.  It’s not a backyard barb b que.  I’m not talking about dressy flashy just appropriate.

Don’t give me the baggage fees excuse.  If you can afford to take a river cruise you can afford to dress appropriately and pay for a bag. 

We have this issue in Dallas.  Except for a very few restaurants with dress codes people look like they came from the pool for a $200 meal for 2. I just don’t get it.  The food tastes the same I guess but I enjoy the “experience” more when I’m dressed for the occasion.

It won’t ruin my dinner however,  I will notice. 

• Like 7

Wow!  I am surprised by the OP - we have several Viking River cruises and one Ocean under our belt, and have not experienced this.  But, things do change.  "Progress."  I personally refuse to be drawn into the 'eat in your PJs' mentality, especially when we've paid over $10,000 for a trip with fine dining.  We have spoken with locals in other countries that claim it is the dress style that points out the US citizens.  Sloppy t-shirts, adorned with US flags, wearing things that the locals just don't wear.  Back on dining - I love to throw the occasional home dinner party and suggest 'dressing for dinner'.  Amazing how many people don't know what that means.  Anyway, we still are blessed to have lived a life that affords such discussions.

Peace!

• Like 4

Hubbs and I are going on our first Viking river cruise this Sept and plan on dressing for dinner just like we have done on our ocean cruises-dress pants and nice polo/dress shirt with a sports coat for hubbs and dress pants and lacy top for me.  I know what we wear will not affect the taste of the food, but it will sure affect the atmosphere.  We choose to dress appropriately :)

baf

Edited by bafinegan
spelling
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, dogs4fun said:

There appeared to be no dress code on our Viking river cruises. No problem for us - we are not concerned with what others wear.

How about instead of sleeveless tee shirts with underarm hair sprouting out, no shirts  at all in the dining.

Is there anywhere you would draw the line?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bafinegan said:

Hubbs and I are going on our first Viking river cruise this Sept and plan on dressing for dinner just like we have done on our ocean cruises-dress pants and nice polo/dress shirt with a sports coat for hubbs and dress pants and lacy top for me.  I know what we wear will not affect the taste of the food, but it will sure affect the atmosphere.  We choose to dress appropriately 🙂

baf

How civilized and admirable. 

Best wishes for a great cruise. 

“Dressing well is a form of good manners”

• Like 1

Some people may choose to ignore it, and in some cases Viking may neglect to enforce it, but there is still a dress code on Viking river and ocean ships. Posted on the Viking website today and printed in our cruise documents from a month ago:

Dress during the day is casual including shorts (if the season is warm), trousers or jeans and comfortable shoes for walking tours. There are no “formal nights” and recommended evening dress is “elegant casual” such as a dress, skirt or slacks with a sweater or blouse for ladies; for gentlemen, trousers and a collared shirt. Ties and jackets are optional. 

On our four Viking cruises so far, we have not observed anything like what the original poster has described. I have heard that Caribbean cruises may be more casual, but we have only sailed in Europe and haven't seen that first hand. Wearing of jeans in the restaurants in the evening does seem to occur sometimes even though they are not supposed to be, but generally my experience is that people are dressed  "elegant casual" as requested.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, lackcreativity said:

Some people may choose to ignore it, and in some cases Viking may neglect to enforce it, but there is still a dress code on Viking river and ocean ships. Posted on the Viking website today and printed in our cruise documents from a month ago:

Dress during the day is casual including shorts (if the season is warm), trousers or jeans and comfortable shoes for walking tours. There are no “formal nights” and recommended evening dress is “elegant casual” such as a dress, skirt or slacks with a sweater or blouse for ladies; for gentlemen, trousers and a collared shirt. Ties and jackets are optional. 

We would agree.

On our previous 6 Viking Cruises, 3 ocean and 3 river, it was rare to notice anyone not

adhering to the Viking dress code for dinner. However, on this cruise, although most dressed as requested, it was very noticeable that more than a few had no regard for any “recommended” dress code.

It is not enforced because it is only recommended. 

I am going to be the bad person here...... I struggled for packing for my November/Thanksgiving river cruise. November in Austria/Germany is similar to November where I live (midwest). Unpredictable. Let's see - we had warm weather, we had rain and we had snow. I brought 2 different jackets. I am not going to use baggage fees for an excuse but I wanted to stick to one suitcase under 50 lbs which was tough since I was packing for an odd season.

For dinner (I am female) - I often wore jeans, black jeans or tan jeans. I do not own torn jeans, I wore a sweater (it was cold - remember November) and often loafers of some sort.

I am not a girly girl. I work in IT and work with guys. I hate dressing up - I carried formal wear for my first couple of dozen cruises and refuse to do so anymore. I don't want to take dresses which means different shoes with each outfit, more luggage and I want to be able to carry my own luggage. I am tired of carrying multiple bags and I am tired of dressing up. While others enjoy it, I dread it.

I probably was under dressed compared to others. I would like to think I ruined anyone's meal.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 6

4 hours ago, Coral said:

I am going to be the bad person here...... I struggled for packing for my November/Thanksgiving river cruise. November in Austria/Germany is similar to November where I live (midwest). Unpredictable. Let's see - we had warm weather, we had rain and we had snow. I brought 2 different jackets. I am not going to use baggage fees for an excuse but I wanted to stick to one suitcase under 50 lbs which was tough since I was packing for an odd season.

For dinner (I am female) - I often wore jeans, black jeans or tan jeans. I do not own torn jeans, I wore a sweater (it was cold - remember November) and often loafers of some sort.

I am not a girly girl. I work in IT and work with guys. I hate dressing up - I carried formal wear for my first couple of dozen cruises and refuse to do so anymore. I don't want to take dresses which means different shoes with each outfit, more luggage and I want to be able to carry my own luggage. I am tired of carrying multiple bags and I am tired of dressing up. While others enjoy it, I dread it.

I probably was under dressed compared to others. I would like to think I ruined anyone's meal.

I think you were perfectly fine - I can't imagine that you ruined anyone's meal. It sounds like you were appropriately dressed considering the weather conditions and your personal comfort. Whether or not you were underdressed in comparison to others is, imho, immaterial. Hope you had a wonderful cruise!

It always amazes me that some will complain about what others wear to dinner and on the other hand enquire about the dress code at various churches (example: the vatican. Many times these same people are asking whether or not the dress code is enforced ... translation: what can they get away with).

We are respectful travelers - we are cognizant of and adhere to local norms. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, jasardeax said:

How about instead of sleeveless tee shirts with underarm hair sprouting out, no shirts  at all in the dining.

I had a similar experience. Even though I'm not a clothes horse and cluelessly oblivious to most style, I'd prefer that someone not wear sweaty sleeveless shirts, etc. to dinner.  Clean up after your day tour.
This IS the exception, but I notice on Viking that it's becoming more prevalent.  They DO seem to enforce the slacks & collared shirt on Viking Ocean dining room.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, jasardeax said:

I have never seen this in the dining room. As we prefer to travel during the shoulder seasons, the weather is much cooler than during the warm/hot summer months - have never seen sleeveless shirts worn in the dining room or, for that matter, on the included tours. We have never seen anyone on any of cruises (river & ocean) wherein one is shirtless - I can't imagine this would be allowed. 

Edited by dogs4fun

I think the shirtless was a joke....

Nice Jean's and sweaters with a sweater would be fine and understandable for the season.

The DH and discussed this last night.  We would rather error on the side of too dressy then be under dressed anywhere.  We will be going to the opera in Vienna so he will bring a suit and I a cocktail dress.  We are excited ! 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, jasardeax said:

Sweat and underarm hair definitely impact my dining experience, even if it's just McDonald's.  If none of this bothers you, my hat goes off to you.  

Roz

3 hours ago, cruiselvr04 said:

The DH and discussed this last night.  We would rather error on the side of too dressy then be under dressed anywhere.  We will be going to the opera in Vienna so he will bring a suit and I a cocktail dress.  We are excited ! 

We had a Crystal musical event one night. I did not go but everyone who went to that event did dress up.

I am enjoying this thread!

A few years ago we were being lazy and riding the lift down to the dining room on a big box cruise ship (yes, I have no shame).  I had had a wonderful day with my sweet wife and we decided to 'dress for dinner', so I donned my favorite bow tie and jacket and she put on a stunning cocktail dress.  In short, we looked like we were so many years younger!   Anyway, I guy got on the lift and took one look at me and scowled.  He said "A tie, huh?  You're trying to make the rest of us look bad!"

One of my mentors from years ago said you should always model the behavior you want to see from your children.  And fellow students.  And cohorts at work.  And fellow vacationers.

It was some of the very best advice!

Peace!

• Like 2

At some point, we started equating comfortable with being slobby.

I can look dashing AND be comfy at the same time. It does take work to choose fabrics and clothing carefully for travel to make it all work, but it can, and does.

We don't need to look like we are doing yard work all of the time.

We were out to eat the other day at moderate place, and I looked around and thought, wow, the majority of the people look like they have been mowing the lawn. Sorry guys, you seem to be the worst offenders.

• Like 8

From the "Out of the Mouths of Babes" file.............

We were on Celebrity Summit a number of years ago. First Formal Night (when Celebrity had such things) and we are walking behind a family toward the Dining Room. The son, maybe 8, is dressed "to the nines" in a Tux, and looking like he is very proud of the way he looks. In front of them, a couple in sweats, also heading to the Dining Room. From the young gentleman, "Mommy, why are those people wearing pyjamas?" We heard him, so I am sure they heard him too, for they turned around and walked away. Moral of the story is yes, people do notice what you wear, and sometimes they will embarrass you!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Roz said:

Sweat and underarm hair definitely impact my dining experience, even if it's just McDonald's.  If none of this bothers you, my hat goes off to you.  

Roz

If you're wearing a hat in the dining room, aren't you part of the group being attacked here? :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Agree with hats/caps off at the dining table.

Not sure why people would chose to wear them in the restaurant.

Nevertheless each to their own and increasingly people wear what they like.

People watching can be entertaining.

We have seen people wear their complimentary slippers in the lounge areas and to dance, perhaps they had sore feet? This was not a Viking cruise.

Edited by pully8
required a be.