Souvenir/ keepsake recommendations

lilchief27

Hubby & I will be on RC Adventure of the Seas July 6, ports Bar Harbor, ME, Halifax & Saint John, NB. I usually collect Christmas ornaments. I would love to know other items people have enjoyed as mementos of their cruise.

Also, if you are an Christmas ornament collector like me, share store or locations to shop!

Thank you!

• Like 1

I also collect Christmas ornaments on cruises and one that's really sweet is a wooden boat from St. John's Newfoundland. I bought it on the main shopping street and it wasn't very expensive.

The other thing I routinely collect are lanyards in the ports, since I always punch a hole in my Sea Pass card and hang it on a lanyard. The lanyards from Stockholm, Peggy's Cove, The London Olympics, The Blarney Woolen Mills (it just says Ireland on it and has a bunch of funny sheep), have all been fun conversation starters. When I was still working I used them for my office job.

I still wear the baseball cap I bought in Bar Harbor 6 years ago. It isn't a run of the mill cap -- it has a humorous spelling for Bar Harbor along with some embroidered sheep.

T-shirts are a no-brainer souvenir but I only buy them if they are unusual and good quality material.

Happy hunting :classic_smile:

• Like 1

I spent a week driving around Cape Breton Island; and my favorite souvenir is a cute stuffed owl made out of scraps of fabric that I bought at a flea market. It has pouches sewn into it, and is designed to hold pens, pencils, scissors, etc..

• Like 1

Christmas ornament collector here. Have not been to those ports so can't recommend a Christmas shop but will share something I do when I cannot find a Christmas shop.

I buy keychains as a substitute because most stores have loads of them. I have a Liberty Bell keychain that I picked up in Philadelphia. In Denmark I found a nice one with the flag and the Little Mermaid. I have  keychain from most of the Princess ships I have been on that either has the Ship or Medallion with the name and outline of the ship. I have one from St Petersburg. And, yes, I do hang them on my tree. I have a little ship in a bottle from Victoria. My guideline is that I want something that is obviously from a specific location, allows a way to attach a hook or ribbon, and isn't too heavy.

Have fun shopping.😁

• Like 3

On 6/7/2019 at 3:48 PM, lilchief27 said:

Hubby & I will be on RC Adventure of the Seas July 6, ports Bar Harbor, ME, Halifax & Saint John, NB. I usually collect Christmas ornaments. I would love to know other items people have enjoyed as mementos of their cruise.

Also, if you are an Christmas ornament collector like me, share store or locations to shop!

Thank you!

We are ornament collectors and Bar Harbor has several good options.

I also enjoyed buying several blueberry items to take with me and eat.

I purchase magnets everywhere we go.....attractions, towns, excursions if available.  In Alaska, I got one in every port plus stops like Red Dog Saloon, Taku Lodge and Juneau Ice Fields tour etc....  This is everywhere we go on vacation....frig is getting covered!  It's fun to look back on!

@BAYA I like the boat from Saint John's NB! We cruised to Roatan one fall and purchased fish ornaments from The Rusty Fish. The store has a neat story & the fish were made from recycled metal. They do not look Christmas-y at all but the memories are there. 

And unique area-specific t-shirts are always fun!

@cruiserdru We think alike! I am really picky about my ornaments. I have done the key chain ornament several times! I even used a girls' hair clip of 4 little Muñeca quitapena (worry dolls) from Mexico because I wanted something authentic & memorable from our trip. 

Thanks @Jan_In_Maine I will check them out! 

@Mitch2016Magnets are neat - my MiL would buy us flag ones when she traveled. I think of her every time I look at them. My college daughter & teen son like stickers and stick them to their water bottles & laptops. Fun memories. 

Thanks for your ideas & replies!

On 6/8/2019 at 1:02 PM, Jan_In_Maine said:

In Bar Harbor I would check out https://www.christmasspiritshop.com/ - It is located right on Main Street.  Enjoy your cruise!  Jan

If that is the shop I am thinking of, when we were there, they had hand-painted ornaments with the names of various ships. It was a neat alternative to the ones they sell in the store on board (which I have not been able to find lately on Royal). In Halifax, there were lots of options at Jennifer's of Nova Scotia.

• Like 2

I collect ornaments also and do use keychains if I can't find ornaments.  I believe I got a lighthouse from Bar Harbor but it was about 5 years ago so I don't remember which store I got it in.  We basically walked downtown so you should find something in the stores there.  I am looking forward to picking up an ornament from Quebec City as I have 3 sketches from QC but I was there way before I started collecting ornaments.  Good luck buying some neat ones from your trip.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I  also collect Christmas ornaments.  I have ornaments from around the world (not that I have been to every place, but that is what I request when someone else goes).  I also will be following this post as we are looking in to a New England cruise in the next couple of years!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, maryann ns said:

The cruise pavilion in Halifax has lots of little shops and there are more along the waterfront. For locally made items check out Jennifers at the cruise pavilion but also a bigger shop on Spring Garden Road. 

Thank you! That store looks great!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/8/2019 at 12:25 PM, cruiserdru said:

I buy keychains as a substitute because most stores have loads of them. 

I also have a "Travel Tree" for my keychains and treat them as ornaments.  Good trip down memory lane each time we put up and take down the tree.  The only place I had trouble finding one so far was Cheyenne, Wyoming, and even there I was finally able to wrangle one.

• 1 month later...