Seabourn questions from a newbie

Rose-Linn

Hi, I´m going on my first cruise with Seabourn this summer and have a few questions that I hope somebody can help me with.

First on the webpage for SB the option of preferences is not available meaning that I get the text that I can make my choses but there is nothing showing. (mac user).

I´m woundering about how they get my choices for the mini bar etc....

We have booked hotel in Venice by our own, is there an option for SB to transfer us to the ship from the hotel? I have talked to SB through e-mail but I´m not to happy with the respones I´m getting from their shore organization....

SPA onboard is it necessary to pre-book or is that something that can be done onboard?

If we want to just relax in a port and figure out your own agenda how is that handled by SB?

Any other tips for a first timer would be highly appreciated:) 

Thanks in advance

Rose-Linn

My first Seabourn cruise is in about 4 weeks, so can't answer many questions, but can point you to the cabin setup page.  Scroll to the bottom of the main SB web page and click on "Check In" in the middle column at the bottom of the page.  Enter booking/confirmation number and last name, then Continue button.  Select "All Guests" and Continue.  Select Prefs and enter login information (email/Seabourn club number) and password.  Select booking number.  At this point, you should have page allowing you to select items for cabin bar, pillow types, celebrations, etc.

I am ASSUMING SB will be the same as on our other cruise lines.  You can do what you want (within reason) and the cruise line doesn't care.  You are not required to use SB shore excursions, if that is what you are asking.  Also, at least some shipboard facilities will be open.  Again, on other cruise lines, spa prices tended to be lower on port days.  I do NOT know that is the case on SB.  Happy sailing!

Edited by T^2

1 hour ago, Rose-Linn said:

First on the webpage for SB the option of preferences is not available meaning that I get the text that I can make my choses but there is nothing showing. (mac user).

Can't help here - I know people have had lots of issues with the website since they changed it a few months ago - trying different computers or a different browser may help. It ought to 'just work'

We have booked hotel in Venice by our own, is there an option for SB to transfer us to the ship from the hotel? I have talked to SB through e-mail but I´m not to happy with the respones I´m getting from their shore organization....

No I've never seen such an option offered, not even if you happen by chance to be staying in the same hotel that Seabourn guests who have booked air happen to be in. I would really advise sorting out something yourself either with a transport company online or through the hotel. 

SPA onboard is it necessary to pre-book or is that something that can be done onboard?

You can do it onboard but you get what's left. Sea days are often booked up in advance although if you're flexible with timing you can get slots which have less popular hours. On port days it's not usually a problem, most people are out and about, however you will find the spa staff themselves get occasional days off so a particular therapist may not be available. In general if the spa matter to you, book ahead, if it's a nice-to-have if you feel like it, wait until you're onboard but be prepared for disappointment. 

If we want to just relax in a port and figure out your own agenda how is that handled by SB?

Well by definition it's not handled by Seabourn 😆. You can of course do whatever you like and walk on and off the ship at will. Many people book their own tours in advance with outside vendors either for cost reasons or because they want to do something other than the Seabourn offerings. Depending where you are cruising, the med is especially good for this, you can just get off the ship and walk around the town, take a cab somewhere, whatever you like. In some ports Seabourn will lay on a free shuttle bus which runs every 15 or 30 minutes to go to the centre of the nearest town; again that depends where you are, how far away the centre of town is and whether the port has a strong taxi union or not. 

As you leave the ship there will be a sign telling you the all-aboard time and sailing time. I usually snap a picture of this on my phone so when we're sitting in a coffee shop at 3pm and I have a panic attack, I can reassure myself we have time to get back. If you're not back in time .. they ain't waiting for you! 

10 hours ago, T^2 said:

My first Seabourn cruise is in about 4 weeks, so can't answer many questions, but can point you to the cabin setup page.  Scroll to the bottom of the main SB web page and click on "Check In" in the middle column at the bottom of the page.  Enter booking/confirmation number and last name, then Continue button.  Select "All Guests" and Continue.  Select Prefs and enter login information (email/Seabourn club number) and password.  Select booking number.  At this point, you should have page allowing you to select items for cabin bar, pillow types, celebrations, etc.

I tried that and just get a blank page

@Bobal, it is a GREAT thing this cruise line like some/many/most/all other cruise lines have different people "driving" the ships than "driving" their web site support.  Looks like the web page is working now.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Rose-Linn said:

Your hotel in Venice can book a water taxi for you or you can do that ahead of time.  

For the spa, I would advise you to book ahead of time.  You can cancel it on board 24 hours ahead of time.  As soon as you board, you can also go to the spa and see what other times they might have open and reschedule your appointment. 

32 minutes ago, marazul said:

Your hotel in Venice can book a water taxi for you or you can do that ahead of time.  

For the spa, I would advise you to book ahead of time.  You can cancel it on board 24 hours ahead of time.  As soon as you board, you can also go to the spa and see what other times they might have open and reschedule your appointment. 

We took water taxi hotel to port,  arranged by hotel I think. I worried (a lot!)  about the bags but the taxi took us to the luggage drop off point so it was no problem. The ship was a distance away and there were shuttles provided and walking was an option. We also did a viator water taxi from airport to hotel though I think it can be done on the spot though the “taxis” are a long walk from the terminal.  

I’ve made spa appointments on board without a problem but agree if you have a specific service and time in mind it’s low risk to book ahead. 

Hope you have a great time!

Edited by jozi
Clarity

10 minutes ago, wripro said:

All the questions that OP is asking can be answered by a competent TA which I hope she used to book.

I have a great TA and still do my own research. I think this board is a great resource and complements the work of good TAs who know a lot but have not (and could not) personally been everywhere on every ship.  

21 hours ago, Rose-Linn said:

Hi, I´m going on my first cruise with Seabourn this summer and have a few questions that I hope somebody can help me with.

Thanks in advance

Rose-Linn

* Rose-Linn with regards to the preferences for your mini bar you can write in something different that isn't on the list ie Cointreau. If they serve it as a regular pour you can usually get it. Sometimes it won't be in your room but when your stewardess introduces herself when you board she will usually get it for you by evening turn down. If it is a premium product you can probably get it but at an extra cost.

Now I say usually as I have always received it but I am sure that sometimes it hasn't happened. 

* I have booked my water taxi through Venice link.

https://www.venicelink.com/en

I used them last in 2013 with no problem I just had to go to their desk at the airport # 71 with my paperwork. Hopefully it will be the same this time.

On Venice trip advisor the Destination experts there mainly recommend...

https://www.motoscafivenezia.it/en/

http://www.veneziataxi.it/en-us/home.aspx

* Spa onboard I prebook which means I prepay. I am okay with that though as I don't feel like queuing on my first day to make my appointment. On some cruises the Spa gets booked out very quickly. If you give at least 24 hours notice you can cancel appointments. I have already booked my nail appointment for my cruise next month.

* Port days are as you choose. If a tender port Seabourn shore excursions get priority for the tender but lining up early I have got on the first tender. Especially if the Seabourn tours weren't leaving till a bit later in the morning. Please be prepared to wait and bring a sense of humour with you. The crew will aim to get you off as quickly as they can but sometimes there are delays. 

There is usually someone from the port who will come onboard in the morning to answer questions in Seabourn Square for a couple of hours. Seabourn will also provide a basic map of the place if they can. Shuttle bus timetables as well. I find if I have an idea of some places I am interested in the port, that these people are very helpful with marking these on the map and giving me can idea of how best to get there. They are also usually good at answering generic questions about the towns recommended tourist sites.

I hope this helps.

I have a fantastic TA but certain things I prefer to book on my own so I have control if there is a problem that needs to be sorted out on the spot.

Julie

Edited by frantic36

23 hours ago, Rose-Linn said:

Thanks in advance

Rose-Linn

So easy to just ask hotel to arrange transfer.  It will be by boat - water taxi (unless you are staying really, really close.)  And likely less than 1/2 hour.  Enjoy.

Edited by Hobar

44 minutes ago, galeforce9 said:

Julie - we’ve used these on a couple of trips and they are also reliable and fairly reasonable in price.  

Thanks for the confirmation galeforce. We're looking forward to revisiting Venice and checking out the Art Biennale.

23 hours ago, jozi said:

I have a great TA and still do my own research. I think this board is a great resource and complements the work of good TAs who know a lot but have not (and could not) personally been everywhere on every ship.  

If your TA can't answer the questions you asked in your original post he or she doesn't know much about Seabourn. 

2 hours ago, wripro said:

If your TA can't answer the questions you asked in your original post he or she doesn't know much about Seabourn. 

A bit harsh wripro. Jozi wasn't the original poster she was answering questions. 

My TA is not a Seabourn expert but she is learning through my input and knows a lot about other luxury lines and hotels. She also is great helping me with flights and getting benefits and upgrades. She is also helpful as she has travelled a lot. So I am not tossing her out because she isn't a Seabourn expert.

I know Seabourn so people like myself and Jozi are happy to help new Seabourn cruisers out on Cruise Critic. Just like many people helped me when I first started out.

5 hours ago, frantic36 said:

A bit harsh wripro. Jozi wasn't the original poster she was answering questions. 

My TA is not a Seabourn expert but she is learning through my input and knows a lot about other luxury lines and hotels. She also is great helping me with flights and getting benefits and upgrades. She is also helpful as she has travelled a lot. So I am not tossing her out because she isn't a Seabourn expert.

I know Seabourn so people like myself and Jozi are happy to help new Seabourn cruisers out on Cruise Critic. Just like many people helped me when I first started out.

Thank you frantic36, you said it more clearly than I did.  My longtime TA has been on Seabourn herself and has worked her magic with them with flights, emergency rebookings and price adjustments, in other words she does the heavy lifting and has our back when we’re on the road.  I consider her a collaborator and friend.  She also works with and has travelled on the other major luxury lines and knows who to call for places she hasn’t been to.  Hope all of you folks are equally well served. 

• 2 weeks later...

In Venice a water taxi from hotel to ship is a kick and easy. Disembarkation  From the ship is sometimes a long line. I liked the water taxi from hotel to airport but we had an early flight and Venice in the dark with heavy fog was memorable.

In the fridge we had a champagne and a chardonnay and whenever the empty bottle went into trash can another full one appeared in fridge. Truly wonderful magic.

Relax  Rose-Linn! This is a Seabourn cruise. You are an automatic VIP!

1. Even if you can't pre-order your favorite beverages, your cabin steward will take care of it the day you board. On one of my cruises I wanted a specific beer (Miller Lite), which wasn't stocked on board that cruise. My fridge was stocked with Coors Light instead. The steward actually apologized for this. AND at our first port stop, someone got off the ship, bought some Miller Lite and my fridge was stocked that afternoon!

My wife changed her mind on what  she wanted as her preferred bottle. She initially wanted sambuca, which was waiting for her in the cabin. When she told our steward she'd like to switch it out for Bailey's, the steward brought her the Bailey's and let her keep the sambuca, as well. This is the type of service you may expect on Seabourn.

2.  While spa appointments book up quickly on sea days, these are small ships. The spa will try to accommodate you. This is one of the few things, on board, you are charged for. Believe me, they want your money! WARNING: On Seabourn they include an automatic spa gratuity and sometimes don't tell you that. Many passengers add a second tip without realizing it's already included. Please ask before you sign!

3. We pre-book private tours on 60% of our Seabourn cruises. On 20% of them we book a Seabourn tour. On 20%, we just get off the ship and wander. Those wandering days are frequently our favorite days! You will have no problem getting off the ship to just wander. 

4. A water taxi in Venice is just like a regular street taxi back home. Ask your hotel concierge what time you should leave to get to the cruise terminal at your desired time and ask him to order a taxi for you. It will! be waiting for you!

5. Seaborn lets you request food from off the menu, with a little advanced notice. For example, if you want steak and lobster for dinner, mention it to your maître d' at lunch and he'll get it for you. Also, if you like caviar, it is basically available on request 24/7.

I usually order a double portion every night at dinner. 

6. Towards the end of the cruise, they offer a "bag of laundry" cleaning special, where they'll launder anything you can fit in your laundry bag for a set price. I believe it was $49, the last time I sailed.

7. Some of the ships have limited electrical outlets. It might help to bring a rated extension cord or multiple outlet adapter.

8. If you want something, it never hurts to ask for it politely. It is often available free of charge.

9. Seabourn square has a currency exchange, if you need local money.

Bon Voyage

14 hours ago, TV Dad said:

6. Towards the end of the cruise, they offer a "bag of laundry" cleaning special, where they'll launder anything you can fit in your laundry bag for a set price. I believe it was $49, the last time I sailed.

Agree with all your comments TVDad. However the $50 bag of Laundry is now available all the time, not just at the end of the cruise (my record is 47 items, in one bag, and that included shirts and slacks, however I seem to remember that someone claimed here on CC 68 items!😳)

• Like 1