Unpacking on the ship

isight2020

I doubt if the dresser drawers are cleaned betw cruises.  I also seriously doubt if you really need to line the drawers.  If you are really worried about drawer inter-cruise cross contamination, just wipe them down.

DON

• Like 1

I also doubt that the drawers are cleaned between cruises, in fact I doubt that they are even wiped down. If that really bothers you feel free to line them, but it sure seems a waste.

I always bring a packet of Clorox/Lysol/whatever wipes and use them to clean out the drawers.  There is ALWAYS crud in them.  Every ship, every cruise line.  

Edited by Lady Chew
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, isight2020 said:

As the spaces are small, we need to unpack.  Do I need to bring drawer liners?  Are the dresser drawers cleaned between each cruise?

Thanks so much.

I’ve been on several cruises where all the drawers weren’t even EMPTIED.  We’ve found several things left in drawers, on shelves and under beds.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

I’ve been on several cruises where all the drawers weren’t even EMPTIED.  We’ve found several things left in drawers, on shelves and under beds.

Well that would certainly indicate some sloppy packers from the last itinerary and lazy stateroom attendants for not removing these items.  BTW, we have never experienced this on any cruise.  We did have an instance, however, where something we had placed under the bed was removed on the second day by our stateroom attendant thinking it was left by the prior occupants and missed by him on his turnaround cleaning.

Many, many years ago I kept all the sweater plastic bags and blanket plastic bags that we got.

All clothes are packed in them.  When we unpack, the plastic bags go right into the drawers.

Drawers are not cleaned between cruises.  We have other people's dirty clothes in drawers a few times.

12 hours ago, TruckerDave said:

This is something that I would never even think of.  I just put the clothes in drawers and not think twice about it. 🤷‍♂️

Whilst this is true to some extent a bit of thinking needs to be done before you get to this stage.  An important visit to the reception desk for something and also the route to your dining area needs to be identified.  Therefore the moment the suitcases get delivered to your cabin, you need to send your partner off to accomplish these crucial missions to make them feel important.  Meanwhile you can unpack your stuff spreading all your clothes lavishly in sixty to seventy percent of the drawers choosing the best ones.  Then get all your clothes which require hanging up using the best hangers at the most convenient part of the rails and the better placed closets.  Pour out a couple of drinks because you are considerate for when your partner returns and sympathise with them when they say the cabin storage is a bit inadequate. They will appreciate this.

Regards John

• Like 7
  • Haha 7

11 hours ago, john watson said:

Whilst this is true to some extent a bit of thinking needs to be done before you get to this stage.  An important visit to the reception desk for something and also the route to your dining area needs to be identified.  Therefore the moment the suitcases get delivered to your cabin, you need to send your partner off to accomplish these crucial missions to make them feel important.  Meanwhile you can unpack your stuff spreading all your clothes lavishly in sixty to seventy percent of the drawers choosing the best ones.  Then get all your clothes which require hanging up using the best hangers at the most convenient part of the rails and the better placed closets.  Pour out a couple of drinks because you are considerate for when your partner returns and sympathise with them when they say the cabin storage is a bit inadequate. They will appreciate this.

Regards John

I cruise alone.....so this is not applicable to me. 😉

Edited by TruckerDave

Packing cubes for the win.  

Unzip the cube, put the whole thing in a drawer or on a shelf.  Unpacked completely in a few minutes.

During the cruise, dirty clothes get dropped into an open suitcase under the bed.

At the end of the trip, zip up the packing cubes and place in the suitcases.  Repacked completely in a few minutes.

On arriving home, clothes still in cubes are clean and can be put away.  Dirty clothes go straight to the laundry room, and the suitcase goes to storage.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TruckerDave said:

I cruise alone.....so this is not applicable to me. 😉

I see where you are coming from on this "spaces are small" thread however I am now thinking booking a whole cabin just for myself would be a bit greedy of me.

Regards John

We are not germophobic. Provided the drawers etc look clean enough that'll do, never been so paranoid as to want to wipe everything down in the room. 

We have a well-practised routine for unpacking, once the luggage arrives (always puzzles me how we can hand in two bags together, and they then arrive 3 hours apart). Takes about 40 minutes to get everything shipshape.

people seem to be so fussy about the desk top, bath sink, storage shelves and drawers for being clean yet they head out and touch all the hand rails, chair backs, doors, deck rails, sit on the pool side chairs that have had "stuff", pool bags, food plates, shoes, etc. placed on them as the person goes swimming, and non of that is wiped down after each use, I can not follow the logic.  Sure  a person needs to be careful and diligent but there is a point of no return.  Think of all the business you have been in that do not wipe down everything after each person. The ships I  have been on  14 different ships, 3 cruise lines, 17 cruises all have done an excellent job on being clean.  Are they perfect, no, but better than most other business entities.

• Like 3

On 6/8/2019 at 4:42 PM, Lady Chew said:

I always bring a packet of Clorox/Lysol/whatever wipes

This is part of our packing checklist for flying too, even when not heading out on a cruise.  First thing that gets wiped down is the aircraft tray table.

• Like 1

On 6/16/2019 at 3:33 AM, brillohead said:

Packing cubes for the win.  

Unzip the cube, put the whole thing in a drawer or on a shelf.  Unpacked completely in a few minutes.

During the cruise, dirty clothes get dropped into an open suitcase under the bed.

At the end of the trip, zip up the packing cubes and place in the suitcases.  Repacked completely in a few minutes.

On arriving home, clothes still in cubes are clean and can be put away.  Dirty clothes go straight to the laundry room, and the suitcase goes to storage.  

Agree 100% its the way to go. We go home with one case full of clean unworn stuff in packing cubes and one case full of dirty washing which goes straight to the laundry room too. 

• Like 1

On 6/24/2019 at 6:17 AM, 2BACRUISER said:

Agree 100% its the way to go. We go home with one case full of clean unworn stuff in packing cubes and one case full of dirty washing which goes straight to the laundry room too. 

If you return with one suitcase of clean clothes and one suitcase of dirty clothes you are bring twice as much clothes as you should.  

• Haha 1

On 6/9/2019 at 4:40 AM, Krazy Kruizers said:

Many, many years ago I kept all the sweater plastic bags and blanket plastic bags that we got.

All clothes are packed in them.  When we unpack, the plastic bags go right into the drawers.

Drawers are not cleaned between cruises.  We have other people's dirty clothes in drawers a few times.

Are you aware that your font is HUGE and bold?  

On 6/29/2019 at 1:06 AM, ed01106 said:

If you return with one suitcase of clean clothes and one suitcase of dirty clothes you are bring twice as much clothes as you should.  

Not really because some clothes in the 'clean' case were worn but only for a couple of hours, it also includes outdoor wear and shoes. Obviously a man!! Roflmao 😁😁😁