My biggest fear cruising

david_sobe

Saw this disturbing video today.  Thank goodness I never have been next to such horrible people.  I take issue with Don actually.  At no time is it acceptable to play loud music on your balcony except maybe sail away.  But in the peaceful waters of Alaska its just pure noise pollution.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, pinkie60 said:

David Sobe he never lived in South Florida. It probably wouldn’t bother me. 

LOL  Lived in the West Palm Beach hood for 5 years.  My car was stolen and used in an attempted murder and then ditched in a canal off 95.  Lived in South Beach for 12 years in the noisy Art Deco District.  
You take a vacation to get away from the loud and rude people.  How could you say this would not bother you especially in Alaska watching peaceful wild life.  Please let me know what cabin you are in if we are ever on the same ship so I can book the other side LOL 😆😉

Edited by david_sobe
  • Like 5

41 minutes ago, pinkie60 said:

Have you ever been to Alaska? If not, my guess is it would bother you. Hearing the big glaciers (not the frozen rivers 😋) calving is part of the experience. The guy that made the video is also correct that people will yell out, when they see something, so everyone can see it. I hope the other people around the loud cabin aren't on their once in a lifetime Alaskan cruise. 

FWIW, I live in South Florida & I would be annoyed to have to deal with that on an Alaskan cruise.

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, pinkie60 said:

Don't you just love it when other people tell you what will bother you. 😂  I spend most of my nights in noisy truck stops with loud trucks coming and going all night, so I'm with you...It probably wouldn't bother me either.   But, I'm sure some stranger will tell me, what will/won't bother me as well. 🙄

• Like 1

You guys don’t ever have to worry that I would be on an Alaskan cruise making noise. Anything colder than 80 degrees and snow is not my idea of a cruise. Bring on the summer, rum and steel drums, that’s me.  Maybe that is where those people should have cruised. 

• Like 2

I would have been VERY upset. I would have spoken to them, as he did. When that didn’t work I would have tried to contact the others below who left so we could talk to them. I would have spoken to guest services.  Maybe none if that would have changed it, but I would def have tried way more than speaking to them once. What an awful, disappointing thing to have happen! 

• Like 3

Everyone has different tolerance for noise, but we don’t base common sense courtesy on only our own tolerance levels.

I can be pretty immune to loud kids playing.  I have twin boys and I teach. That doesn’t mean I’m going to let my kids yell and wrestle in the middle of a speciality restaurant. We all have this cruising experience together. Some people are ultra particular and will always be annoyed by every little thing. We can’t cater to the lowest common denominator, but we should be able to step outside our own bubble and evaluate the environment and cultural norms. 

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, careyayn22 said:

Everyone has different tolerance for noise, but we don’t base common sense courtesy on only our own tolerance levels.

It's not a simple matter of a tolerance for noise.  Had the ship been docked in Nassau he may not have taken issue with it.  The issue was the location of the ship and the hope for listening to noises from shore (or just plain nature sounds) and not being able to that bothered him.

• Like 3

In a case like this one reported in the video, passengers need to call GuestServices and/or Security.

Also, choosing another line such as Princess or HA may result in a more respectful passengers to n board.. Not saying an incident like this may never occur on these cruise lines, but in reality, different cruise lines do have different demographics - IMHO.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MJSailors said:

Also, choosing another line such as Princess or HA

I may be wrong but Don may be on Princess.  I think he is on a Royal Princess cruise.  He posted a video 5 days ago about a fire alarm test that woke him on the last morning of the first cruise of a B2B trip, that was from the Royal Princess.

Well, I did assume that it was an NCL ship as it was posted on the Norwegian board.

After re-reading the OP post, I see it is a video from another CC poster.

hallux- you probably are correct as Princess does sail into Glacier Bay whereas other cruises lines have limited or no access to that area.

Also, looking at the cabin background,it does look like a Royal Class Princess  ship.

It goes to prove that rude,inconsiderate people can be anywhere.

i stand corrected !.

• Like 1

You guys don’t ever have to worry that I would be on an Alaskan cruise making noise. Anything colder than 80 degrees and snow is not my idea of a cruise. Bring on the summer, rum and steel drums, that’s me.  Maybe that is where those people should have cruised. 
It was 82 when we stopped at Juneau. Beautiful weather and beautiful sites!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 6/8/2019 at 6:35 PM, hallux said:

It's not a simple matter of a tolerance for noise.  Had the ship been docked in Nassau he may not have taken issue with it.  The issue was the location of the ship and the hope for listening to noises from shore (or just plain nature sounds) and not being able to that bothered him.

Yes. I believe we agree. I suppose I should add we all have difference tolerance levels depending on the environment and our own preferences.

I have to agree that for this particular setting a noise free atmosphere would have been better. I am very sensitive to noise pollution, I work in a hospital where the constant beeping of machines, rumble of equipment and chatter of people has me craving my silent drive home, where I have been known to sit in the car for 20 minutes enjoying the quiet before joining the noisy family again.

The noise in the common areas of the ship is expected and at times enjoyed, but the private bedroom areas should be private in all regards, and that includes your personal noise, listen to whatever you choose to, but don’t inflict it on those around you.

Edited by stefmaia

Kind of get it, kind of don't.

I know there are many things that I don't care about when cruising with 3K-6K of my fellow passengers.  This is one of them....thinking that everyone on either side of the cabin is interested in hearing the music they force us to listen to.  I know I shouldn't.  But, I have a Bang and Olufsen blue tooth speaker I travel with which is very capable of drowning out any thing they might be using and certainly those BOSE blue tooth speakers that many use.  It only takes 15 minutes or so of me drowning out there music for the hint to make its mark.  Again, I shouldn't, but I do.

The other part is trying to understand the cultural differences that you'll encounter on ships with so many people who are from so many other places.  I know some folks who come from very crowded cities, especially when they're from cultures who tend to be louder than we're used to (my fellow North Americans), can be jarring.  I more or less just "rise to the level" they are speaking to communicate.  They think it's normal. I think I'm shouting.  But, it works.

When it comes to being in line for something, be it the Garden Buffet, going to a show, etc, some cultures seem to be more aggressive than others in marking their place in line.  This is true also of local folks who think they have the right to go and come as they please without losing their place in line (or making their space with towels in the pool or spa).  I find you have to "stand your ground".  If someone tries to cut, I kindly remind them I was there before them.  If there's a language barrier, I point to the back of the line.

If a towel has been sitting on a lounger for more than 30 minutes, I remove it and give it to an attendant.  If someone returns looking for it (which rarely happens), I point to the pool/spa attendants.

I'm not going to complain, as I know this is something that's a "bugaboo" with cruising (just like it is at Disney, or a large resort, etc).  I go with the flow.  Stand my ground, and go about my day.  But, I do run into this on every cruise, and every cruise line I've sailed.  And, it's more about different culture and personality types than anything else. 

I agree with the guy in the video - that noise would drive me nuts -- it didn't have to be that loud and I would have wanted to hear the quiet and the sounds of nature... I would have called security though and let them deal with it.

8 minutes of complaining on the video (no doubt edited down from 40 minutes of recording) and 0 minutes of addressing the problem with either the other passenger or guest services / security. 

Grow a pair and address problems like this immediately. Yeah, you shouldn't have to, but such is life.

7 hours ago, graphicguy said:

But, I have a Bang and Olufsen blue tooth speaker I travel with which is very capable of drowning out any thing they might be using and certainly those BOSE blue tooth speakers that many use.  It only takes 15 minutes or so of me drowning out there music for the hint to make its mark.  Again, I shouldn't, but I do.

So not only do you double down on the rudeness, you make it about which brand of consumer electronics is superior? Heh.