Single supplement

gabbyisadog

I have never sailed and Azamara.  I am not a regular on these boards and do not know how to search answers to my question. What is the single supplement policy or practice? I recently looked at a cruise that was listed at approximately $2100 and when I indicated only one passenger the price jumped to over $7000. I expected to pay double but not over three times the rate. Just curious about this. It obviously means that as Azamara is not in my future. This up charge seems out of line with my experience with the lines such as Crystal, seaborne and Silversea.

My experience with this is a bit dated but it used to be that singles basically paid for two (paid the room rate) mines some minor taxes/fees except for a list of sailings published on the Azamara website with only a 125% supplement.  This later changed to 150%, and the list became shorter and shorter over time. Not sure what it looks like today. 

22 minutes ago, gabbyisadog said:

I have never sailed and Azamara.  I am not a regular on these boards and do not know how to search answers to my question. What is the single supplement policy or practice? I recently looked at a cruise that was listed at approximately $2100 and when I indicated only one passenger the price jumped to over $7000. I expected to pay double but not over three times the rate. Just curious about this. It obviously means that as Azamara is not in my future. This up charge seems out of line with my experience with the lines such as Crystal, seaborne and Silversea.

I do not have first hand experience of single supplement, but believe it is usually 50%, or sometimes on a promotion at 25%.

You may find answers in the thread "Tips for Azamara newbies".

Prices often jump from an initial low advertised rate on the websites of several large Travel Sales companies.

Were you looking at the same class of stateroom? Usually on those websites the "carrot" will be for an inside stateroom which suddenly becomes mysteriously sold out, leaving a much more expensive choice of stateroom.

Or, were you looking at a "Guarantee" price, where you cannot choose your stateroom and then at a price for choosing your own accommodation, which is always considerably more, even before adding a solo supplement? That could also explain the large price difference.

I am sure you will get better responses from some of those with first hand experience of solo travel.

And I see you have another response while I was still typing.

Edited by Baynanno1

I have only recently been travelling solo on Azamara but I have to say that there are now very few solo deals available. You will have to pay at least twice the price quoted for each passenger and then a few hundred pounds on top of that. It seems to me that Azamara don't really want solo passengers anymore, which is a real shame as the small ship experience is great for solo travellers. 

There are is only one solo cruise deal on the website at present, to Alaska as the cruises there do not appear to be selling well at all. There is a supplement of 125% on the 10 night June 22nd cruise which is very reasonable ....if you want to go to Alaska and I don't! 

Many cruises with a lead in price for a category are based upon a guarantee cabin where the cruiseline will allocate your cabin. These are common the closer one gets to sail date. Unfortunately they are not often offered to single cruisers so when you are getting your quote it is for a specific category and more expensive rather than the cheaper guarantee.  

You have to keep a watch. They do offer reduced single supplements on some cruises as Baynanno says. More often than not it's 150% now. It used to be 125%.  If you click on the deals link on the Azamara site you can look at a list of reduced single supplement cruises. 

Phil 

• Like 1

Interesting discussion, I never thought that the total price for a single cabin would be higher than a cabin booked for two.

Makes me wonder what happens when a travel partner can no longer go after the FP is made... is the remaining cruiser’s cabin re-priced?

14 minutes ago, snowglobe said:

Interesting discussion, I never thought that the total price for a single cabin would be higher than a cabin booked for two.

Makes me wonder what happens when a travel partner can no longer go after the FP is made... is the remaining cruiser’s cabin re-priced?

I don't know the answer to that but I have thought about it! It doesn't seem fair that we have to pay more than double the fare pp. 

• Like 1

The answer I guess as a single is to book a Guarantee, make up a second name and then have a "no show". My travel agent offered to do it, but I didn't feel comfortable. I'm not keen on guarantees much either. I like to know where I am. Book a window guarantee and you could end up in one of the category 06s near the front and this wouldn't be my choice of location. 

Phil 

My TA suggested I do this "making up another guest" as well. I didn't feel comfortable doing it either Phil. I suppose people might do it to get the less expensive guarantee cabins but it still seems underhand to me. 

What would be fairer is that if solo cruisers could book a Guarantee cabin if they wanted to take the risk of a far forward cabin location and save some pennies. Why should we be penalised when we are already paying so much more anyway? 

• Like 2

Just now, Lottie A said:

My TA suggested I do this "making up another guest" as well. I didn't feel comfortable doing it either Phil. I suppose people might do it to get the less expensive guarantee cabins but it still seems underhand to me. 

What would be fairer is that if solo cruisers could book a Guarantee cabin if they wanted to take the risk of a far forward cabin location and save some pennies. Why should we be penalised when we are already paying so much more anyway? 

On some sailings they allow it Lottie, but I'm not sure what criteria they use. 

Phil 

I’ve done three solo Azamara cruises and have paid 125% once, 150% once, and almost double the per person rate once. That one was a couple of hundred dollars less than double, which I’m guessing resulted from lower port fees.  I have two more booked at the double rate. It hurts, but I haven’t found any solo discount itineraries that interested me.

I just did a test booking on the Azamara site to see if the solo structure had changed drastically and came up with slightly less than two times the per person rate in several cabin categories. I’d encourage you to check again to be sure you aren’t comparing prices for two different cabin categories, then talk to a TA if you aren’t. I don’t think Azamara is intentionally discouraging solos by pricing us out. We’re only eating and drinking for one, so we’re actually a savings for them 😉 

If you come up with a price you’re comfortable with, book it! Cruising alone isn’t cheap, by any means, but Azamara makes it worth doing! 

Best of luck, 

Melissa

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Melissaghoti said:

I’ve done three solo Azamara cruises and have paid 125% once, 150% once, and almost double the per person rate once. That one was a couple of hundred dollars less than double, which I’m guessing resulted from lower port fees.  I have two more booked at the double rate. It hurts, but I haven’t found any solo discount itineraries that interested me.

I just did a test booking on the Azamara site to see if the solo structure had changed drastically and came up with slightly less than two times the per person rate in several cabin categories. I’d encourage you to check again to be sure you aren’t comparing prices for two different cabin categories, then talk to a TA if you aren’t. I don’t think Azamara is intentionally discouraging solos by pricing us out. We’re only eating and drinking for one, so we’re actually a savings for them 😉 

If you come up with a price you’re comfortable with, book it! Cruising alone isn’t cheap, by any means, but Azamara makes it worth doing! 

Best of luck, 

Melissa

Melissa, as I said in previous posts I am pretty certain they are different categories. The double occupancy will be quoting cheaper GTY rate as the lowest and because singles are often precluded from these, then the solo rate for a specific category is the cheapest they'll quote. 

Phil 

• Like 1

Just confirmed a late solo booking today for July 17th on Pursuit. I did get a good deal from my local TA but the solo price on the Azamara website was more than double the pp price. That does seem unfair to me. I expect to pay double but why MORE than double? Only one set of port fees, one person eating and drinking etc. 

Really looking forward to the cruise though. It actually has some Med ports that I have not been to before which is rare for me and I was so disappointed that I could not go on my May 28th Pursuit cruise with good friends due to a medical emergency. I have rewarded myself with this new cruise and I am going to have a very good time! 😄

• Like 1

I totally don't understand this, but then again, I don't understand a lot about AZ's pricing strategies!  Why in the world would you have to pay MORE than double for one person?  Makes no sense at all!  Many lines seem to be doing MORE to attract solo travelers, not less.  For example, I recently learned that Avalon Waterways reserves 5 cabins per sailing with no single supplement at all, now that's SMART!

• Like 1

This is true Phil. I got the one we talked about and I'm happy with it. However, it is unfair that solo's can't book a guarantee cabin and that we have to pay more than double for a chosen one.

As Allison says...it makes no sense at all. Oh for the days of 125% or even 150% solo supplements. Long gone I'm afraid but I bet I spend as much onboard as two people! 

• Like 1

Bonnie, if you look in it would be interesting to know the definitive policy for singles and guarantee rates.  It's something I've been coming across for years. On one or two occasions and as a single I've managed to secure a GTY, but most of the time it hasn't been available. 

Phil 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Interesting discussion. I have only sailed on AZ twice but once I was able to snag an Oceanview guarantee with no problem at all. It turned out to be an obstructed 08 which I was able to switch to another obstructed in a better location between two lifeboats. It had to be done manually by a supervisor, though. I have often had to ask Celebrity too on guarantee solo cabins but have always been able to book them in the end.

Recently I had a very frustrating experience with an agent when I was trying to book an Alaska cruise which supposedly had a reduced single supplement. When the price came up  it was considerably higher than what two people would pay even though it was not a guarantee. I asked to speak to a supervisor so I could understand the pricing but the agent insisted I would have to send an email, and who knows how long that would have taken. She was so obnoxious and unhelpful I just got frustrated and didn’t pursue booking any further. But it was very upsetting and left a bad taste in my mouth although I do love the Azamara experience when onboard. 

They need to get their act together regarding transparent pricing.

anne

• Like 3

I have sailed solo with Azamara and I have paid in 2 cases a solo supplement of about 35 % over the price per person. Those were two cruises that are more or less repositioning cruises. For other cruises I have paid the price for two minus port taxes.

Unfortunately Azamara has became less solo friendly in the last years. It only offers very limited reposition itineraries or cruises which are not selling well. Solo supplement is about 50% in those cases. I have not seen 25% or 35% in the last year. I might be wrong.

You can see the solo offers at the Azamara web page.

Ivi

On 6/11/2019 at 7:53 AM, excitedofharpenden said:

Bonnie, if you look in it would be interesting to know the definitive policy for singles and guarantee rates.  It's something I've been coming across for years. On one or two occasions and as a single I've managed to secure a GTY, but most of the time it hasn't been available. 

Phil 

Hi Phil, sorry, I’m just seeing your post from Tuesday.

I’ll see what I can find out about singles and GTYs.

3 hours ago, BBMacLaird said:

We currently have four 2019 voyages to Alaska with a 25% single supplement!

https://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/int/luxury-cruise-deals/solo-cruise-deals

Bonnie,

When I called about those discounted Alaska cruises a couple of weeks ago the prices were way more than double for me than for double occupancy. When I asked for a breakdown as it didnt make sense (they were not guarantees at that point), the agent told me I would have to send an email to a supervisor for clarification. This was so frustrating to me, I just stopped pursuing it as i wasn't prepared to wait Days for an answer and the cruise would probably not have still been available anyway.

On Celebrity this issue with single occupancy on guarantees has always been resolved immediately to my satisfaction by their resolutions department so I would love to know if Azamara does something similar. If not they should! There is no excuse for poor customer service.

anne

HI ptrpans, I can only speculate why the quoted fare wasn’t what you expected.

For example, perhaps the cabin category you wanted wasn’t available with the 25% single supplement. 

Are you working with a travel agent? S/he would be able to get to the bottom of it for you.

8 hours ago, travelberlin said:

I have sailed solo with Azamara and I have paid in 2 cases a solo supplement of about 35 % over the price per person. Those were two cruises that are more or less repositioning cruises. For other cruises I have paid the price for two minus port taxes.

Unfortunately Azamara has became less solo friendly in the last years. It only offers very limited reposition itineraries or cruises which are not selling well. Solo supplement is about 50% in those cases. I have not seen 25% or 35% in the last year. I might be wrong.

You can see the solo offers at the Azamara web page.

Ivi

Agree completely that Azamara was once very solo friendly and now the opposite.  I have found it more economical to cruise on Seabourn which has many offerings of 25% single supplements. In addition, they invite solo travels to dine every night at a hosted table which goes a long way towards meeting people on board.  Cabins on Seabourn are twice the size of those on Azamara. I am cruising on Quest in August and hope I will find some reasons to persevere at even checking their offerings. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BBMacLaird said:

HI ptrpans, I can only speculate why the quoted fare wasn’t what you expected.

For example, perhaps the cabin category you wanted wasn’t available with the 25% single supplement. 

Are you working with a travel agent? S/he would be able to get to the bottom of it for you.

Thanks Bonnie.

but in the meantime the prices have gone up considerably and I just gave up on the cruise.

Anne