Insignia not going to Cuba

GoodPam

The new prices are listed in the revised cruise,  That is what they are offering at a minimum.  They look 40-50 % less than the Cuba cruise.

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/Caribbean-cruises/miami-to-miami-INS190718/?sr=%2Fcruise-finder%2F%23sailDates%3D2019|07%23ships%3DINS

They are supposed to reach out to those affected in the short term on Monday.

Edited by PaulMCO

Dear Mr. Ortega,

If you see my postings, you will barely find anything negative but typical state-owned not customer-friendly institutions like German Railways or German Post. When Facebook started, it was a "happy" world, and you only "liked" but never "disliked."

When I am breaking now my own rule, it would be my way to show my disappointment, that I will NEVER be able to post something positive from Oceania.

I can fully understand that you had to do something this the US-Administration changed the rules for travels to Cuba, and I was booked for 2020 on a cruise with three Cuban ports: most cruise lines only call Havana and call it a Cuban journey, but you also offered a call in Cienfuegos and Santiago de Cuba.

For me, it would be like booking a voyage to Yellowstone, Yosemite and Zion National Parks.

On a ship, I loved to see again since I made two voyages when SIRENA was OCEAN PRINCESS. I love the size of the ship.

But now you are offering the most boring itinerary of Harvest Cay, Belize; Roatan, Honduras, and Costa Maya, Mexico.

For me it would be like, you are offering me a visit to Central Park, New York City, Golden Gate Park San Francisco and Bayfront Park in Miami. For the price of Yellowstone, Yosemite and Zion National Park. To tell me how generous it would be to honor my price and giving a massive discount on the catalogue price of 6.198 USD for 7 nights (which never existed before because we should go to Cuba - by the way: if I am going on the world's best cruise ship EUROPA 2 of Hapag-Lloyd I am paying about 600 USD/night for a suite including marble bathroom - and not an inside stateroom!), disappoints me. On your bill, you are still charging for a Cuba Visa of 75.00 USD, although we are not going to Cuba. You are not offering any OBC for staying with you. Or you are not offering any future cruise discount if we would on a different itinerary of our convenience with Oceania.

Right now I am greeting you from Koper, Slovenia onboard of AZAMARA PURSUIT. Our first time and in January, we wanted to test Oceania. But after reading the messages my travel agent forward to me, the first thing I was doing was requesting my refund of my deposit and booking a time-slot with the future cruise consultant here on AZAMARA PURSUIT.

I went 27 times on your mother/sister company NCL, and since I felt I am getting too old for NCL I hoped to be my next 27 times with Oceania but obviously, since you are treating me this way, my following 27 times would be with Azamara.

All other cruise lines did everything to keep the customers with their lines when they had to change the itinerary, but Oceania.

Sorry: something I hate to use: but shame on you, Oceania.DSC03809.thumb.JPG.98bdc0d7fc2813cd92cb5f20f96bee05.JPG

Thanks for the replies. My cabin category is more like 55% less! I wish the new itinerary was not so boring but we want to get away so we’ll probably make the best of it depending on the options.

My TA told me Monday also, although Oceania told me the agents can call today. Guess one day won’t matter. 

We are 4  couples who booked our Insignia July 28 cruise based primarily  on having Havana as our very first port of call- a major highlight for us on an otherwise humdrum itinerary. Would never have booked this cruise without that full day stop in Cuba. Of course, we fully understand the circumstances of why it was cancelled but we're truly disappointed in the substitution of what amounts to as only a half day stop which requires tendering into an  underwhelming  port - Grand Cayman (been there several times). Since  the ship is only staying for about half a day  - there's not even enough time to  go someplace nice for lunch since tendering takes time. Wish they would have chosen a port that had dock space- wouldn't matter which Caribbean island...basically all the same. Since there was absolutely no compensation or discount offered, we feel that we are not getting the same value that we paid for. The substitution they made- a half day in a tender port is not equal to a full day docked in Havana. I know cruise lines are entitled to change ports without any obligation to its passengers but in this case the inclusion of Havana on this itinerary was truly the hook that made many of us book this cruise. Oceania could have done better. We have sailed many times on Oceania in the past and we're hoping that the shipboard experience will be as good as we remember.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruzemaven said:

We are 4  couples who booked our Insignia July 28 cruise based primarily  on having Havana as our very first port of call- a major highlight for us on an otherwise humdrum itinerary. Would never have booked this cruise without that full day stop in Cuba. Of course, we fully understand the circumstances of why it was cancelled but we're truly disappointed in the substitution of what amounts to as only a half day stop which requires tendering into an  underwhelming  port - Grand Cayman (been there several times). Since  the ship is only staying for about half a day  - there's not even enough time to  go someplace nice for lunch since tendering takes time. Wish they would have chosen a port that had dock space- wouldn't matter which Caribbean island...basically all the same.

to be fair it is not like the cruise lines can just pick a port to go to  like McD's drive through

They have to clear it with the harbour Master 

there are many ships  trying to get substitute ports  on short notice

You could  just treat it as a sea day  if you cannot get a refund

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cruzemaven said:

We are 4  couples who booked our Insignia July 28 cruise based primarily  on having Havana as our very first port of call- a major highlight for us on an otherwise humdrum itinerary. Would never have booked this cruise without that full day stop in Cuba. Of course, we fully understand the circumstances of why it was cancelled but we're truly disappointed in the substitution of what amounts to as only a half day stop which requires tendering into an  underwhelming  port - Grand Cayman (been there several times). Since  the ship is only staying for about half a day  - there's not even enough time to  go someplace nice for lunch since tendering takes time. Wish they would have chosen a port that had dock space- wouldn't matter which Caribbean island...basically all the same. Since there was absolutely no compensation or discount offered, we feel that we are not getting the same value that we paid for. The substitution they made- a half day in a tender port is not equal to a full day docked in Havana. I know cruise lines are entitled to change ports without any obligation to its passengers but in this case the inclusion of Havana on this itinerary was truly the hook that made many of us book this cruise. Oceania could have done better. We have sailed many times on Oceania in the past and we're hoping that the shipboard experience will be as good as we remember.

I agree with you 100% I'm still looking for a refund of Havana port charges plus an OBC. Oceania needs to step up to the plate on this. Look at what ALL the other affected cruise lines are doing for their passengers, including parent company NCL! As a premium cruise line, Oceania is not treating us with the respect we should expect IMHO. Others may choose to disagree.

I just compared our 'new' invoice for the July 18th and the numbers do not match. The brochure cruise fare that is the starting base and was the same in all the invoices from our booking date until final payment. That is the starting base to which early booking discounts and others were applied. Now, Oceania has quietly changed the cruise fare to $200 less so the discounts are made to that and the discounts are being made to that. Also a  refund was made to my card but does not include the two Cuban visas either.  Its very deceptive I may end up cancelling --really don't like how everything has been handled.

7 hours ago, CANDYAPPLE said:

Oceania needs to step up to the plate on this. Look at what ALL the other affected cruise lines are doing for their passengers, including parent company NCL! As a premium cruise line, Oceania is not treating us with the respect we should expect IMHO. Others may choose to disagree.

The situation may be different when an ALL Cuba cruise is cancelled vs a single day in Cuba. While it is not desirable to lose a Cuba stop is not an apples to apples comparison re: compensations.

Edited by Paulchili
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, seacruiser123 said:

. Also a  refund was made to my card but does not include the two Cuban visas either.  

Have you called your TA to have the cost of the Visas removed?  It is obviously an error that is easily fixed.

9 hours ago, Paulchili said:

The situation may be different when an ALL Cuba cruise is cancelled vs a single day in Cuba. While it is not desirable to lose a Cuba stop is not an apples to apples comparison re: compensations.

I completely agree that this is not a comparison of apples to apples. I am not suggesting a refund/cancellation of the cruise, but simply a refund of Havana port charges and an OBC for substituting Grand Cayman (tender port) for Havana, which is the reason we booked this itinerary. We've been to all the other ports, some, a few times, as well as spending a week each at 12 Caribbean islands.

• Like 1

We have never before cruised on Oceania and probably never will.  Our 3 port Cuba cruise now goes to other spots in the Caribbean and while they did reduce the price from what the Cuba cruise was, they didn’t reduce it enough considering what other cruise lines are doing or what the new ports are.  I was furious when I learned that new bookings are getting more on board credit than we are.  Tried to talk to Oceania and they refused to talk to me since I booked through a travel agent.  The travel agent said he couldn’t help.  This was the first time I booked other than through Costco travel.  If all this wasn’t bad enough, neither Oceania or the travel agent have ANY excursions available.  Maybe they will add some later, but we only have a few days left to cancel.

We will be going back to Costco travel and Celebrity!

8 hours ago, 3rd girl of 5 said:

We have never before cruised on Oceania and probably never will.  Our 3 port Cuba cruise now goes to other spots in the Caribbean and while they did reduce the price from what the Cuba cruise was, they didn’t reduce it enough considering what other cruise lines are doing or what the new ports are.  I was furious when I learned that new bookings are getting more on board credit than we are.  Tried to talk to Oceania and they refused to talk to me since I booked through a travel agent.  The travel agent said he couldn’t help.  This was the first time I booked other than through Costco travel.  If all this wasn’t bad enough, neither Oceania or the travel agent have ANY excursions available.  Maybe they will add some later, but we only have a few days left to cancel.

We will be going back to Costco travel and Celebrity!

No excursions available??  My cruise is July 11th and I haven't been able to book any excursions...maybe that's why.  When is your cruise?  

48 minutes ago, kendon said:

If all this wasn’t bad enough, neither Oceania or the travel agent have ANY excursions available.

Don’t you think this is because they just now created this new itinerary and are in the process of arranging excursions with the local providers? After all, these arrangements have to be finalized before they can be offered.

• Like 1

We booked the July 11th sailing today thanks to the greatly reduced pricing! My SiL and their friends did the same on Wednesday and we were able to get the same low rate.

I understand the disappointment of not going to Cuba, but the blame is not on O. Offering a 50% discount or full refund is pretty generous considering, It's given us the ability to try O where we probably would struggle to afford it otherwise (I had to stop working due to a hospitalization earlier this year and am too young (60) to draw any pension for a while).

e also have a cruise to Alaska booked on X for August, so a busy-ish few weeks ahead!

We look forward to raising a glass with everyone else on board Insignia on the 11th!

• Like 1

Well, they didn’t offer us a 50% reduction- only 40% which is about what the revised itinerary normally costs.  It is an itinerary we wouldn’t have purchased and we have non refundable airline tickets.  While the cruise isn’t until October , the cancel date is rapidly approaching.  Hoping we know what excursions are being offered BEFORE the last cancellation date.  Don’t know whether to just eat the airline costs or go on the cruise.

40 minutes ago, 3rd girl of 5 said:

Well, they didn’t offer us a 50% reduction- only 40% which is about what the revised itinerary normally costs.  It is an itinerary we wouldn’t have purchased and we have non refundable airline tickets.  While the cruise isn’t until October , the cancel date is rapidly approaching.  Hoping we know what excursions are being offered BEFORE the last cancellation date.  Don’t know whether to just eat the airline costs or go on the cruise.

If you are not happy cancel the cruise 

maybe just look for other cruises leaving in the same time frame as you air tickets

I am seeing excursions for some of the  Oct cruises   when is your sailing?

You could look under the Explore Ashore tab I bet they will have the same excursions offered

If you cannot book online call O & book them that way

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 3rd girl of 5 said:

I did think of looking for a different cruise that would work with our airline tickets.  But this was a Wednesday to Wednesday so I didn’t find any others.

not ideal

but maybe a  road trio to Key West or other areas in Florida  or as suggested  just stay onboard & enjoy the ship

Unless you can change the airfare  to another time  seems some airlines are be flexible

In this unique situation,  American Airlines allowed a one time change on my non-refundable air ticket without change fees.  It took me 4 calls and 4 agents to get this.  😉

• Like 1