Hong Kong to Bangkok

Kentuckysharon

11 hours ago, Cardinal Gal said:

My hubby won’t do the CC tunnels because of claustrophobia so we have not done that. 

I would encourage you and your husband to visit the Củ Chi tunnels during your next visit, if for nothing else, to hear the communist propaganda as to why the Americans were there.  On most tours, there is a single tunnel tourists are allowed to traverse and one doesn't have to if they don't want.  It really is a super short tunnel, like < 20 years, so if you don't want to go through the tunnel, you don't miss anything.  I'd say in our group of 20, less than half went down into the tunnel.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Kentuckysharon,

Yes. Definitely interested in joining you on a private tour in Manila.

Just at the airport en route to Florida to join the Silver Whisper for a Caribbean cruise to get some sun.  (Was supposed to be Cuba but as we know cannot go there from the USA anymore).

Will have thanksgiving on the boat which will be interesting.

Happy Holidays and see you in January.

Don’t even think of missing Angkor Wat. We went on a SS overnight..actually two nights pre cruise. We stayed at The Grande Angkor, a beautiful, historic hotel run by Raffles group. The temple complex will forever be etched in my mind. Totally worth a splurge. 

I have visited  Saigon 4 times. The last time I was there, 2 and a half years ago, we went to the enormous market and it was so crowded, noisy, and the sellers were so aggressive that I had what was close to a panic attack. Pity, as previously it had been a fun experience. Of course go, but be prepared. The part of town where the designer shops are very close to the Cathedral (uninspiring) . I have no idea if the prices for designer clothes are any different from any other big city.

Sihanoukville is sort of a snooze. We did visit an elementary school which we found affecting. One little girl grabbed my daughter’s hand and went everywhere with her..sweet little child. One boy, about 10 followed me around trying to speak English with me... that was encouraging..he’s going to do well. The Head of School gave a rousing welcoming speech. Our SS person  from the ship, gave a generous donation, and most of our fellow passengers also contributed. I had known about this visit and I had brought crayons and  kiddie scissors from America..They were a big hit!  Other than the school, we went to a nice enough resort, had a good buffet lunch and sat on the beach. No one could swim because the water was filled with teeny stinging jellyfish. 

As I remember, this was the only excursion offered.

• 1 month later...

Hi Kentuckysharon

Trying to contact you re the private tour in Manila as my husband may well have to do a conference call during this day.  Tried to message but cruise critic only allow me 0 messages a day so not very helpful.  Is there any one else who’s contacted you via the boards who may want to take our place?

My husband is pretty sure the call will go ahead, he’s been juggling timings for a few calls during the trip and thought he had it all sorted but as we are at sea the previous day when they originally wanted to do this call they have suggested the next day.  If the other person is still interested go with them.  Let me know what they decide. 

Sorry to have to back out but at the end of the day him working is what enables us to go on these fantastic cruises and because he can be available for calls when we are in ports is why we cruise.

We are staying at the Shangri La Kowloon, arriving in on the 17th in the afternoon.  My husband goes to HKG regularly for business and we were there this time last year so a quick visit this time.

Haven't received an alert but the volcano eruption has been on the news so aware that we may have a change of itinerary if it continues.

When would you like to meet up on board? 

We stayed at the ShangriLa when we were in Hong Kong. And loved it. Are you going to the Meet and Greet?  Not sure when it is. If not, maybe drinks before dinner our first day at sea? We had a friend just return from this cruise and thought it was absolutely amazing. So, hopefully, despite everything, we will too.   

So sorry. We were playing team trivia as well. We were The Wild Ones that came in 3rd. Just saw this post that you were goi g to be there. Our husbands are in the putting contest now. 

We are going to the restaurant on the 4th floor - the one where they do not take reservations- if you don’t have plans.