Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Illbcruzn4life

transportation to Port Canaveral from Disney

Recommended Posts

anybody have any recommendations for travel from Disney World to Port Canaveral for a cruise?

 

We are not going on a Disney cruise though if that matters.

 

TIA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you asked on the Florida Departures board? This is talked about regularly over there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree that the Florida departures board is probably the best place to ask, but while we're here, we find the best way is to rent a car. I rent Avis, which you can get at the Hilton on the  Hotel Plaza Boulevard adjacent to Disney Springs. You also have National and Alamo at the National car Care center and the Dolphin Hotel. They all have locations at Port canaveral with shuttle service to the ships.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you’re staying at a WDW Resort Hotel Disney has recently begun offering transportation service from the Resort Hotels to PC for $35. In my experience this is the best deal for the least stressful transit experience. They make sure you arrive with plenty of time to spare and deal with your luggage for you! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, christicruises said:

If you’re staying at a WDW Resort Hotel Disney has recently begun offering transportation service from the Resort Hotels to PC for $35. In my experience this is the best deal for the least stressful transit experience. They make sure you arrive with plenty of time to spare and deal with your luggage for you! 

 

Not exactly recent, but yes, Disney offers transportation to PC for Disney cruises. The OP was asking about a non-DCL cruise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, christicruises said:

recently begun offering transportation service from the Resort Hotels to PC for $35.

Not that "recently".  They've been doing transfers since at least 2008 from the resorts.  And the cost is now $39 per person.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We had transfers from SOME WDW resorts (those designated as "cruise resorts" at that time" in 1998 on the maiden voyage of the Magic.  They have existed continuously since then, but have expanded to all resorts.    But, as above, the poster is on a non-DCL cruise, so the DCL service won't help her.  Her best bet will be a private limo service or a rental car.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/22/2019 at 2:07 PM, cantgetin said:

We had transfers from SOME WDW resorts (those designated as "cruise resorts" at that time" in 1998 on the maiden voyage of the Magic.  They have existed continuously since then, but have expanded to all resorts.    But, as above, the poster is on a non-DCL cruise, so the DCL service won't help her.  Her best bet will be a private limo service or a rental car.

Maybe, maybe not.  First thing I would check is if a DCL is sailing that day.  If not, no buses will be running.  But if the busses are going from the hotel to the port and they got room, they might be willing to sell you a seat.  Might not.  But wouldn’t hurt to ask.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ed01106 said:

Maybe, maybe not.  First thing I would check is if a DCL is sailing that day.  If not, no buses will be running.  But if the busses are going from the hotel to the port and they got room, they might be willing to sell you a seat.  Might not.  But wouldn’t hurt to ask.

Perhaps....but then they'd have to get a taxi to the terminal where their ship is located.  Unless rental car prices have seriously increased, you can rent and pay gas and tolls for about the price of transfers for 2 people.  Several companies are located on or near WDW property and some will pick you up at the resort and take you to get the car.  Drop off is near the port and all the companies will shuttle you to your ship.  It is really a matter of what works best for each family.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another option (although this might be more hassle than it is worth).

 

If you are staying at a Disney Hotel you can take a free shuttle to the airport.  Then take cruise line shuttle from airport to ship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, ed01106 said:

Another option (although this might be more hassle than it is worth).

 

If you are staying at a Disney Hotel you can take a free shuttle to the airport.  Then take cruise line shuttle from airport to ship.

 

The shuttle from the airport to the port is also not free. It's $39/pp so I don't see where this saves you anything for the added aggravation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, gometros said:

 

The shuttle from the airport to the port is also not free. It's $39/pp so I don't see where this saves you anything for the added aggravation. 

I doubt it is the best option but if 39/pp is less than taxi or car rental from hotel it could be.  Probably only if traveling solo.  It is an option.  Probably not a great one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why in heavens name would you take a free shuttle to the airport to jump on another shuttle when for the same price you can take a shuttle directly from your WDW hotel?  Sorry, but your advice just does not make sense and is highly misguided.  I've seen you post on a few threads now with some wild ideas that are neither accurate nor helpful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, gometros said:

Why in heavens name would you take a free shuttle to the airport to jump on another shuttle when for the same price you can take a shuttle directly from your WDW hotel?  Sorry, but your advice just does not make sense and is highly misguided.  I've seen you post on a few threads now with some wild ideas that are neither accurate nor helpful.

That would be horrible idea, if direct shuttle for the same price exists.  But the OP might not have the option of taking shuttle from hotel directly to ship, staying in WDW hotel and taking a non-Disney cruise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ed01106 said:

That would be horrible idea, if direct shuttle for the same price exists.  But the OP might not have the option of taking shuttle from hotel directly to ship, staying in WDW hotel and taking a non-Disney cruise.

 

Again, since the OP IS taking a non-Disney cruise, a DIsney shuttle is not an option, whether it be from WDW or the airport.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, gometros said:

 

Again, since the OP IS taking a non-Disney cruise, a DIsney shuttle is not an option, whether it be from WDW or the airport.

Correct.  But being OP is staying at WDW can take disney shuttle to airport.  And then take whatever cruiselines airport shuttle to the port.  If a direct shuttle was available it would be a better option, but if not then two shuttles with a transfer at the airport could work for the cost of cruise line shuttle which might be more or might be less than 39.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Again, your advice is not based on correct facts. I do not believe (and here, this is where we differ. I don't state things I don't know as undisputed facts)  that you can take the Magical Express to the airport unless you have a scheduled flight. If correct, that means you cannot use it as  a first stop on a continued trip to the port. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, gometros said:

Again, your advice is not based on correct facts. I do not believe (and here, this is where we differ. I don't state things I don't know as undisputed facts)  that you can take the Magical Express to the airport unless you have a scheduled flight. If correct, that means you cannot use it as  a first stop on a continued trip to the port. 

Once again you are correct Magical Express does ask you for flight info!    They, however, do not ask to see your tickets nor in any other way attempt to verify that you are scheduled for that flight.  But it ain’t hard to find a flight number that will get you to the airport for your desired time.  As I initially stated, this is an option.  But probably not the best option. I leave it to the OP to consider the option.  If they wish to reject it because they have a better option, that is great.  But it is a viable option.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ed01106 said:

Correct.  But being OP is staying at WDW can take disney shuttle to airport.  And then take whatever cruiselines airport shuttle to the port.  If a direct shuttle was available it would be a better option, but if not then two shuttles with a transfer at the airport could work for the cost of cruise line shuttle which might be more or might be less than 39.

This won't work.  When taking a DCL shuttle to the port, your luggage goes separately, hours earlier.  You can take only "carry on" luggage on the bus with you.  It doesn't work like Magical Express where you CAN check in your luggage at the resort or can carry it on the bus.  Also, if you take ME to the airport, the drop off point is not near where you would get a shuttle to the port!


Yes, you could lie about a plane connection and take ME to the airport...and get a shuttle for your cruise line from the airport (if the cruise line offers one).  That's a real pain.  Again, cost of private towncar transportation from WDW to PC is about the cost of DCL transfers for 4; cost of renting a car is about the same as shuttle for 2.  Why go thru all the hassle to save relatively little money?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a 7-day Caribbean cruise for two!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...