On Board Credits for Veterans

Travelcat2:  Well-stated.  No offense taken. 

Further particulars as to my rank upon retirement as an Army Officer is not really that relevant.  What is, is: 

When my wife and I vacation at Honolulu, we stay at the Hale Koa ("Brave Warrior") Hotel on Waikiki Beach.  We feel privileged to pay a premium Retired Officer rate.  The Defense Dept. got this exactly right many, many years ago when agreeing to support a voluntary funding program initiated by Senior (very) Retired US Military from all Branches of Service to establish, and maintain a top-class resort hotel right there on the Beach.  So, higher ranks, whether Non Commissioned Officers, or Officers--Active Duty or Retired--basically pay a "premium" daily rate calibrated as to rank which subsides that daily rate for Enlisted personnel and their families.  Those folks can enjoy a great time at Waikiki at about 1/4th of what would be expended at an equivalent commercial hotel.  

Not ONE DIME of taxpayer money has ever been involved in this initiative.  What a prime Real Estate location!  

Point of relevance to this Thread, before I wander further off into the weeds:  Certainly, economic reality would limit the number of potential cruisers currently either Active Duty or Retired that might consider Regent or an equivalent "All Inclusive" cruise line for a family, or spouse-only, vacation.  No-doubt, any interests in this direction would be directed to a mass-market cruise line situation.   

Having acknowledged the above, I will continue pressing Regent on this matter.  This seems like something "out of the box"--until someone prods someone else to consider opening that box.  I will have three opportunities within the next 15 months when aboard Regent ships to be a "pleasant" pest pursuing this matter.    

Now--back to the basic Thread.  Anyone else out there with input as to other Cruise Lines offering any Vet benefits? 

GOARMY!

20 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

It is my belief - and I could be wrong - that the majority of people that served in our Armed Forces for the United States (and those in other countries) were not high level officers and did not retire from the service.  So, the assumption is that there are few (percentage wise) that can afford Regent.  It was for this reason that I suggested (rather strongly) that deeper benefits be offered to veterans on mainstream and/or premium cruise lines.   Truly hope that retired officers that cruise on Regent were not offended by my comments. 

TC,

I was not an officer but I am offend.

You are mistaken in your assumption. I served four years and was discharged as an E5. No where near close to an officer. What I learned in service for my country allowed me to grow in my career which has enabled me to cruise on Regent,. Without the assistance of anyone else. 

I am very positive I am not the only one that benefited by being a lowly enlisted person for a short period of time.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

TC is correct when she says that most veterans are not necessarily retirees. Essentially (in the US), it is a very small percentage of the population who actually serve and a much smaller percentage who continue through to retirement. All made sacrifices in many ways and should benefit by the perk.

It’s not about who can afford to sail on a luxury line or not nor does the rank or status of a prior service member/veteran necessarily have a direct correlation to one’s current financial situation as others have pointed out, so one should not generalize on this.

I would love to see all cruise lines (including premium and luxury lines) recognize this selfless service and provide some nominal OBC for all veterans and their families (and of the families of those veterans who made the ultimate sacrifice). If many of the major retailers, restaurants, service companies, etc. can provide such discount, why can’t Regent? Just my humble opinion. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Focused1 said:

TC is correct when she says that most veterans are not necessarily retirees. Essentially (in the US), it is a very small percentage of the population who actually serve and a much smaller percentage who continue through to retirement. All made sacrifices in many ways and should benefit by the perk.

It’s not about who can afford to sail on a luxury line or not nor does the rank or status of a prior service member/veteran necessarily have a direct correlation to one’s current financial situation as others have pointed out, so one should not generalize on this.

I would love to see all cruise lines (including premium and luxury lines) recognize this selfless service and provide some nominal OBC for all veterans and their families (and of the families of those veterans who made the ultimate sacrifice). If many of the major retailers, restaurants, service companies, etc. can provide such discount, why can’t Regent? Just my humble opinion. 

Sorry that you were offended.  If you had to guesstimate  the percentage of veterans that could cruise Regent, what would it be?  

I forgot about the families of veterans that made the ultimate sacrifice....... they deserve benefits as well (as do police and firefighters).  

Lastly, what retailers, restaurants and service companies provide a discount?  I think that many of us would go to these places to support them but we have no clue who they are.

While I really support our veterans (definitely including Vietnam era veterans), it makes me sad when I see a veteran demanding (not asking) for certain benefits.  While I would give up my Business Class seat for a veteran, I would walk away from those that feel "entitled".

Note:  I am from the Vietnam era where service men and women were treated poorly.  My father and uncle were veterans of WWII ad I have the utmost respect for them.  However, it seems that Vietnam era veterans received nothing (less than nothing ......... they were treated poorly) and veterans after that era are being respected (finally).  

2 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Sorry that you were offended.  If you had to guesstimate  the percentage of veterans that could cruise Regent, what would it be?  

I forgot about the families of veterans that made the ultimate sacrifice....... they deserve benefits as well (as do police and firefighters).  

Lastly, what retailers, restaurants and service companies provide a discount?  I think that many of us would go to these places to support them but we have no clue who they are.

While I really support our veterans (definitely including Vietnam era veterans), it makes me sad when I see a veteran demanding (not asking) for certain benefits.  While I would give up my Business Class seat for a veteran, I would walk away from those that feel "entitled".

Note:  I am from the Vietnam era where service men and women were treated poorly.  My father and uncle were veterans of WWII ad I have the utmost respect for them.  However, it seems that Vietnam era veterans received nothing (less than nothing ......... they were treated poorly) and veterans after that era are being respected (finally).  

I am not offended at all,  TC. Just making a point that those who serve and figuratively “write a blank check to to their country up to and including their lives” should be honored and respected including law enforcement and fire fighting professionals. I have never met a veteran who felt entitled. In fact, it is just the opposite. 

It would be very difficult to “guesstimate” what percentage of veterans could or would sail on Regent. I do know that Regent, Seabourn and Silversea usually hold at least one social event for veterans on each cruise leg and they are very well attended. 

To name a few retailers, etc., that provide discounts (there are so many) include Home Depot, Ace Hardware, Lowe’s, Sirius XM, TMobile, H&R Block. Numerous restaurants and retailers in local areas. One has to ask as It is usually not advertised. 

You are are so right about how Vietnam war era veterans were treated when they returned. And, fortunately respect of those for selfless service now, for the most part, is highly revered. 

14 minutes ago, Focused1 said:

I am not offended at all,  TC. Just making a point that those who serve and figuratively “write a blank check to to their country up to and including their lives” should be honored and respected including law enforcement and fire fighting professionals. I have never met a veteran who felt entitled. In fact, it is just the opposite. 

It would be very difficult to “guesstimate” what percentage of veterans could or would sail on Regent. I do know that Regent, Seabourn and Silversea usually hold at least one social event for veterans on each cruise leg and they are very well attended. 

To name a few retailers, etc., that provide discounts (there are so many) include Home Depot, Ace Hardware, Lowe’s, Sirius XM, TMobile, H&R Block. Numerous restaurants and retailers in local areas. One has to ask as It is usually not advertised. 

You are are so right about how Vietnam war era veterans were treated when they returned. And, fortunately respect of those for selfless service now, for the most part, is highly revered. 

Thank you so much for letting me know which companies provide discounts to veterans.  Fortunately, we shop at most of them and will continue to do so.

We only know of one Regent cruiser than feels entitled and it makes us extremely sad.  This person lost his camera on a Regent excursion (on a bus) and demanded that he/she be reimbursed for their camera.  The same person also made demands from Regent that if not met would result in them not booking another Regent cruise.  It is people like this that can taint others which would be horrible since almost all veterans are not this way.

As an aside, we support Warrior Canine Connection - dogs that are raised for veterans that have PTSD.  There are currently 2 litters of puppies that are being raised for veterans (with many more on the way).  They have veterans that want to support the cause, help train the dogs.  It is amazing.  The puppies are online 24/7 and I am always amazed at the things that they learn to do for their veterans.  They can even recognize when they are upset and know what to do to calm them down.  Please note that I am not "advertising" Warrior Canine Connection but want to share that there are some people that truly want to make the lives of our vets better.  These puppies visit Walter Reed Medical Center to cheer up the patients.

Okay - I get overly exuberant when I talk about WCC.  Thanks again for your post.

2 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Thank you so much for letting me know which companies provide discounts to veterans.  Fortunately, we shop at most of them and will continue to do so.

We only know of one Regent cruiser than feels entitled and it makes us extremely sad.  This person lost his camera on a Regent excursion (on a bus) and demanded that he/she be reimbursed for their camera.  The same person also made demands from Regent that if not met would result in them not booking another Regent cruise.  It is people like this that can taint others which would be horrible since almost all veterans are not this way.

I'm confused.  What does being a veteran have to do with this any more than any other characteristic such as age, sex, ethnicity, educational level, religion, political persuasion, etc.?

Is the individual claiming that he/she is should be reimbursed because she/he is a veteran?  

I think that the OP asked a pretty straight forward question about the availability of discounts for veterans as it seems that some companies offer these. No mention was made of the type of rank attained and there was no reason why it should be. A simple answer would have done the trick. Anyone who chooses and is able to afford something should not be "steered" away from anything....even  for their own good. Excursion problems with PITAS are another  issue having nothing to do with military discounts unless there are other agendas at play.  

As a 20-year military retiree, I appreciate the fact that many companies offer military discounts.  I rarely ask for them but if they're offered, I'll usually accept.  I agree that having OBC would be a nice gesture, but really, a $100 credit on a $10,000+ cruise isn't going to allow anyone, veteran or otherwise, to take a cruise that they couldn't otherwise afford.  I did accept the OBC on our one Cunard cruise in '10, and I'd accept if it Regent offered, but that sure wouldn't be a deciding factor for me.

I also need to check into any veteran's get-togethers on board - I don't believe I've attended one on any of my previous cruises and I'd sure like to...for some reason, I seem to get along well with other vets/retirees.   :classic_biggrin:  Maybe I'd even pack my medal bar, who knows?

Anyhow, I just go back to my initial statement that although I appreciate it when companies recognize veterans (and first responders, too) it's not usually a make or break thing for me.  If GOARMY is successful in getting Regent to offer some $$ on future sailings, I'd gladly buy him a drink for his efforts.   :classic_wink: 

Bill – Agree with you 100% on this, feel the same way. 

There have been Veteran’s get-togethers announced on two of our last three Regent cruises.  However, they were not really organized and never materialized.  One was announced to meet at Coffee Connection but when I went arrived at Coffee Connection it was full as usual but there was no announcement or gathering point for Vets.  Maybe there were others there too, but nothing occurred.  On our last cruise they published a Vets get-together for noon at the Prime 7 bar.  Admittedly I was a couple of minutes late, but there was no one else there. 

A few years ago, on a Crystal Cruise, we had a great unplanned dinner get-together at Prego.  Three couples just happened to be seated close along one wall and the tables were close enough to talk.  It turned out one gentleman was a WW II Army Vet, the next was a Korean War Marine Vet and I got to cover Vietnam and Desert Storm as an Air Force Vet.  There was just a great feeling in meeting those great gentlemen and trading some service stories.

I understand that Regent pushes back on setting up “functions” for different groups.  The old adage that if you do it for one you have to do it for all.  I do think however, that if they set up a mix and mingle for vets, like they do for Cruise Critic, people would turn out and there would be a good chance to meet and get to know other Vets on the cruise.  In truth, I would prefer that to a $100 SBC.

Bob

Edited by Eno-Bob

1 hour ago, Eno-Bob said:

Bill – Agree with you 100% on this, feel the same way. 

There have been Veteran’s get-togethers announced on two of our last three Regent cruises.  However, they were not really organized and never materialized.  One was announced to meet at Coffee Connection but when I went arrived at Coffee Connection it was full as usual but there was no announcement or gathering point for Vets.  Maybe there were others there too, but nothing occurred.  On our last cruise they published a Vets get-together for noon at the Prime 7 bar.  Admittedly I was a couple of minutes late, but there was no one else there. 

A few years ago, on a Crystal Cruise, we had a great unplanned dinner get-together at Prego.  Three couples just happened to be seated close along one wall and the tables were close enough to talk.  It turned out one gentleman was a WW II Army Vet, the next was a Korean War Marine Vet and I got to cover Vietnam and Desert Storm as an Air Force Vet.  There was just a great feeling in meeting those great gentlemen and trading some service stories.

I understand that Regent pushes back on setting up “functions” for different groups.  The old adage that if you do it for one you have to do it for all.  I do think however, that if they set up a mix and mingle for vets, like they do for Cruise Critic, people would turn out and there would be a good chance to meet and get to know other Vets on the cruise.  In truth, I would prefer that to a $100 SBC.

Bob

Bob, I think the best get-togethers are usually the impromptu get-togethers, really.  I've met some amazing people - vets and non-vets alike - just by starting up a conversation on an excursion or in a lounge...that's one of the things I love about our Regent cruises is the chance to meet fun and interesting people.  Some we stay in touch with, some we just hope to meet again on another cruise, but they've all been memorable.  Counting down the days until our next cruise...

I'm also trying to figure out if I might know you from somewhere - I'm a little later USAF veteran ('81-'01) but I lived in COS for just over 20 years.  I'm trying to think of the Bobs I knew out there...    :classic_smile:

Bill, certainly possible – I knew a Bill or two myself.  We’ve been here since 1989, I retired in 1992 and spent the next 20+ years supporting HQ AFSPC MILSATCOM programs.  My wife Pattie was an AF Civilian also in comm – mostly at HQ AFSPC but also a few years in the Mountain. 

2 hours ago, Eno-Bob said:

Bill, certainly possible – I knew a Bill or two myself.  We’ve been here since 1989, I retired in 1992 and spent the next 20+ years supporting HQ AFSPC MILSATCOM programs.  My wife Pattie was an AF Civilian also in comm – mostly at HQ AFSPC but also a few years in the Mountain. 

Bob, I retired from the Mountain in '01 and ended up working at both Pete and Schriever - I used to support a system called AFSCN CCMS that tracked all of the AFSCN comm links and associated equipment.  I was with L-3 at that time, ended up doing some ITIL stuff later, then moved to Fort Knox to work on the Army recruiting system and finally made the break from DOD and work for a bank here in SC now.

Fun times...

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.   :classic_biggrin:

As the originator of this thread, I would like to offer some clarification of my reason for doing so---- I was looking to see if I might be eligible for some way to save a little money off of our cruise fair, especially as my wife and I love to travel very much. I really appreciate and agree with many (not all) of the comments in this thread, and heartily agree with also giving recognition wherever possible to fire-fighters and police!

I have no idea what percentages of the cruise population were prior enlisted or officers, or are retired from service. I was drafted and spent 2 years on active duty in the Army, including one year in Vietnam as an infantryman. I really empathize with one of the other commentators on this link, as I also made up my mind soon after getting out of the Army not to seek a road of entitlement or feeling sorry for myself. I married, got a bachelors degree, and had a great life and a very successful career of 30 year as a DoD civilian and as a manager with Johnson & Johnson, and as a result my wife and I can afford to do lots of world travelling.

I feel that we Vietnam vets got a raw deal upon our return home, but such is life. You deal with it and move on. Still like to find ways to save money though, and the info I just found out via the great folks on this thread about OBCs is greatly appreciated!

I realize this is probably way more info than you hoped for, but as a proud & contented resident of the Napa Wine Country, I have had a couple of glasses with dinner tonite and feel "compelled" to comment on why I started this thread. Hope y'all have a wonderful evening!! 

Fairfield Nana:

Well played!  Your comments could not have come at a better time.   Sort-of a book-end, to your original post, as I think this Thread has just about run out of yarn.  No more to offer from me, other than:  Fortunate to have been able to "assimilate" back into the "Land of the Great PX"  (Post Exchange), as we used to call the USA.  That was in mid-1969.  Met my future wife the first day back in Seattle upon return from Vietnam.  She,  a R.N., assisted me in so-may ways to keep squared-away.   We will celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary next March while aboard Splendor.  Retirement(s) following a dual-career track as an Army Officer and Federal Law Enforcement Officer [that is another story], and my wife's R.N. retirement have enabled us to travel the world--and visit grandchildren.  We are indeed fortunate. 

That was, again, brought home a month ago during our visit to Utah and Omaha Beaches, Sainte Mere Eglise, (within drop-zone of the 82nd Airborne on 6 June 1944), Pointe du Hoc, and The American Cemetery at Normandy.  A day of remembrance for those who made the ultimate sacrifice.   

Happy cruising to all, and I will have one more glass of wine before calling it a night. 

GOARMY!

On 6/20/2019 at 1:20 AM, GOARMY said:

Sort-of a book-end, to your original post, as I think this Thread has just about run out of yarn.  No more to offer from me,

GOARMY!

Before you go....Royal Caribbean sometimes offers an excellent booking discount for Military, also Firefighters and Police.  It has become more rare, I assume due to how full their ships are.  But at least in the past it was often an excellent discount. At the time it was for Active or Retired only.  Note sure if that's changed.  Carnival has also offered Military rates in the past.   Just wanted to answer your question from earlier.  

I am also retired Military....Semper Paratus! 😎

On 6/10/2019 at 5:18 PM, Travelcat2 said:

omg - please don't talk about the thumbs up photos....... they drive me crazy.  A nice photo with smiles is nice but thumbs up photos look so phony to me.  Just my humble opinion.  Perhaps a bottoms up photo would at at least be funny😊

🤙👩🤙

Edited by NCCruzQueen
  • Like 1