Almost Live from Prinsendam's Farewell Voyage

TiogaCruiser

4 hours ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

Love the pillow gifts a lot! 

Your gala dinner looked wonderful and I love escargot 🐌!!! I’ve never had bad ones on HAL.

Apple pancakes!!!Im getting FAT LOL😮

Denise😊

I’m glad it’s you and not me!😈0:-)

• Haha 1

On 6/18/2019 at 12:31 AM, TiogaCruiser said:

Christine Streets. 

I had to go look it up, as I don’t really care either. 😁

I was on the Eurodam in March which was her first cruise as a CD.  Unfortunately, many felt that she did not have the demeanor required for the job.  When we heard her talking disparagingly about other guests while saying "Well, the captain thinks I'm doing a great job", we were a little put off.  We heard that she was going to be the CD on the Prinsendam's last cruise and were quite surprised.

Would like to know what you think.

14 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

He wrote he had offered to present five lectures. Looks like he got downgraded by P-dam's entertainment manager :classic_cool:

There are five listed. The first Life and Times of the Prinsendam 2 gave the history of Royal Viking Sun, Cunard Sun and Seaborne Sun. And also where the name of Prinsendam came from. Our next talk today is about her life as the Prinsendam. He is also doing: Advent of Cruising, 145 Years of Holland America and the Heyday of Ocean Liners. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, calteacher said:

Ironically, we specifically wanted that cruise in August as my husband has always wanted to attend the Edinburgh tattoo.  However, in the last year his hearing has decreased so much that wearing hearing aids and loud music just doesn't go together.  So while we will be in Edinburgh for the tattoo, we will not be attending it.

It’s been a few years but I don’t recall the music being loud at the Tattoo.  Just the visual itself is worth seeing!  Have him turn them off and go.  It’s amazing!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, erewhon said:

Those lamb chops look far more appetising than the lamb chops I was served in the Pinnacle Grill on Maasdam.

I thought the same of my lamb chops on the Zaandam!  I also asked for medium rare and got medium well.  From then on I knew to ask for rare at the Pinnacle.

June 19, 2019 Stavanger, Norway

Our first port of this cruise, Stavanger, lies in the south part of Norway and is known for it’s oil production. In fact, one of the most popular museums is dedicated to that industry. It is also known for it’s old town with many white traditional houses dating back to the 18th century. Not surprisingly we were the smallest of 4 cruise ships in town today. 🙂 Sail in early this morning took us past many quaint farms situated on the rocky banks of the ocean leading in to the harbor. We could even smell eau de cow on the deck. 

By 8:00 AM we were alongside and cleared. As we had 90 minutes before we had to meet our tour we walked through the old town. This area lies to the west of the tiny harbor, clinging to the rocky hillside. Several white wood houses line narrow and steep cobble stone paths that rise quickly from the dock. Rock gardens flow down both sides of the hills. 

As it was our first time here we elected to take the cruise to Preikestollen and the Lysefjord, booked online with Rødne Cruises. While it was cloudy and scattered showers were expected, we did not get rain. We crossed the channel and entered the Lysefjord. Large granite cliffs towered over us, and reminded us of our favorite place: Yosemite.  

On the way back to the ship we stopped at the Domkirke, which was undergoing renovation and had scaffolding along the back part of the building. The church was originally built in 1125 and rebuilt following a fire in 1272. 

Back onboard Captain Albert delivered his second lecture (part 2 of the history of this ship.) He is just as entertaining in person as on his blog. He shared several stories from his career.

BF4431EF-67F1-435D-88D5-527EE1011E91.jpeg

D9A2C051-6D62-4A74-9CB4-9CCF994345D3.jpeg

32C69EB4-046F-4F74-AE93-E60A1B66DB09.jpeg

6F5E4D0E-ADBE-49EE-BDA4-D02A881BB0F5.jpeg

DAF52531-7626-4EF4-B3A5-BE9EEE8C4388.jpeg

E24AC6A4-7E2A-4279-BBFE-E0725554D278.jpeg

77B5C60F-FEDC-4026-94E9-E72079166FCF.jpeg

Edited by TiogaCruiser

14 hours ago, ithaca gal said:

I was on the Eurodam in March which was her first cruise as a CD.  Unfortunately, many felt that she did not have the demeanor required for the job.  When we heard her talking disparagingly about other guests while saying "Well, the captain thinks I'm doing a great job", we were a little put off.  We heard that she was going to be the CD on the Prinsendam's last cruise and were quite surprised.

Would like to know what you think.

I don’t know her, but I do know she was not the first choice.  Linda was, but she had a family obligation, so she could not stay until the end.  I was on the 4/24 sailing, and spoke to many crew members and I found out that many in the shops, dining room, front desk,etc. we’re newbies.  Some to the PDam, and others new to HAL.  I thought it was strange, as well as Capt. Dag “retiring”.

Hello again,

as I was originally scheduled to be on this cruise, I am interested in the ports I hadn’t been to previously.  Stavanger looks cute and beautiful.  Thanks for the pictures and description.  Keep them coming!  Lynn

4 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Back onboard Captain Albert delivered his second lecture (part 2 of the history of this ship.) He is just as entertaining in person as on his blog. He shared several stories from his career.

Sounds like a great lecture to go to 🙂 

I envy you.

Great pictures of your port and the EE. Love them 🙂 

June 20, 2019: Alesund, Norway and the Troll Path

Sail in to Alesund happened while we were still getting up. The morning was overcast and it appeared that the possibility of rain was strong. Our shore excursion for the day wasn’t scheduled to begin until later in the morning, so we were able to catch a little more sleep.  (I’m not entirely sure when the sun is setting, but with the Summer Solstice approaching, and our moving northward, it looks like 2:00p in LA well after 11:30p. And that does not help with getting enough sleep. In a few days, we will have several days without any sunset.)

Today’s trip took us by bus out to Romsdal and a famous wall that attracts rock climbers from all over the world, known as the Troll Wall. To get there we drove about 2 hours along several fiords, past farms and picturesque villages. Our guide and driver stopped at several spots so we could have a “kodak moment”.  The Troll Path is the tall, vertical face of dark granite with “spikes” (trolls) sticking out along the ridge. Per legend, these are trolls that got caught when the sun came out and they turned into stone. A little further down the highway is the Troll Ladder, a highway built in the 1930s with 11 very tight and narrow switchbacks. Our bus was just able to squeak by. The hill is quite steep and the entire trip is unforgettable. We stopped at the top to walk around and watch other cars coming up the road. 

Lunch was at a farm that has a buffet restaurant associated with it. Back in town we took a short walk to look at the buildings. Alesund burned down in a large fire in the early 1900s. When it was rebuilt, the people decided to use Art Nouveau style, so the town has a unique look to it. As we were “parked” in the downtown area, it was fast and easy to return to the ship. We are now underway to tomorrow’s stop: Trondheim.

D229E0D8-EE5C-4E6C-9474-B10A7226680C.jpeg

C8D6DD47-312E-4173-BF57-EE7E4C5087CF.jpeg

8CE253BE-5561-4A8C-B926-9935149BDB36.jpeg

59A44E09-501C-4422-9772-E4B549ED2548.jpeg

4052F1EA-554F-4331-8360-7B07BADB0BEC.jpeg

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 1

Thanks for doing this reporting. We just got off the PRINSENDAM last Monday, after 14 days around the British Isles. We had a great cruise and we were sad to say good-bye to our favourite ship. We went to Nordkapp and back in 2013 on board the ROTTERDAM and are pleased to see your comments and photos from a favoured country to visit. 

On 6/19/2019 at 3:04 PM, *Miss G* said:

I thought the same of my lamb chops on the Zaandam!  I also asked for medium rare and got medium well.  From then on I knew to ask for rare at the Pinnacle.

Then they will probably come raw.  Don’t know how or why a steak place can’t seem to properly cook a steak 😳.

On the 2019 WC we had far better luck with lamb chops in Canaletto, double chops cooked right and actually hot, right off the grill.  What a concept.