Definitive answer on settings for Electronic Devices?

BIGADORF

I have read several different posts and I would like to get the definitive answer to the settings that your smartphone, tablet, smart watch should be set for while on board ship. With the internet “slow down” that seems to be inevitable, what are the optimum settings for the devices? I don’t want to use my devices for anything more than checking emails or keeping track of my exercising on board. Thank you in advance.😁

28 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Mine is in flight mode with WiFi turned on when I want to access the intranet (free) or internet (usually extra cost). 

☝️  This is the simplest method. Just enable Airplane Mode and then turn WiFi back on. That gives one access to Princess@Sea which is what is available for most of the ships in the fleet. Just be absolutely certain you have logged off after sending or retrieving your email.

Edited by Thrak

When you turn "Airplane Mode" ON, both Bluetooth and WiFi turn OFF, after which you can turn Bluetooth (to link to headsets, etc) and/or WiFi (to link to the ship's WiFi) back ON without disturbing the "Airplane Mode" setting.

While in "Airplane Mode", you're safe from the piratical-rate ship's cell tower for voice, text, and data charges.  I double-check it's still OFF before I do anything that might incur charges were it to have accidentally got itself turned back ON.

Linked to the ship's WiFi, you can connect for free to Princess@Sea/OceanConcierge to view your folio balance, see the ship's schedule of events, excursions available, etc.  Those apps will also provide the option to "connect to the internet" -- usually for a fee.  Because of orbital geometry, that internet option works better near the Equator than in Alaska or the Baltic.

PS: I understand you can also connect to princess.com for free, but I've never tried it.