La Mercè Festival in Barcelona

Knolmom

We are sailing on the Constellation on Sunday Sept 22. My husband and I are arriving to BCN early Thursday morning and plan to do some sightseeing in Barcelona later in the day on Thursday, as well as Saturday. Friday, we are going on a tour to Montesserat and the Cava wineries.

I understand the Le Mercie festival will start on Friday the 20 th and continue until the festivities culminate on the evening of September 24. Can anyone tell me about this festival and does anyone know about any of the festivities on Friday and Saturday.?

Edited by Host Bonjour
Correct spelling to attract replies

• 2 months later...

Anyone who has been to La Mercè in the past?  We will be there next Tuesday for the closing day, and I'm asking if these three events are different enough to go to all three or if one covers it:

•  12:00 Giants’ Procession – Dances of the Aliga and the Giants – Mercè Castellers [Plaça de Sant Jaume]

•  18:00 Cavalcade of La Mercè
•  20:30 Closing Procession (Toc a Plegar)

• 8 months later...

It's probably 10 years since I was there pre-cruise and saw some of it.  The Giant's procession was neat. Also recall catching, by accident, Correfoc

On 9/20/2019 at 12:42 AM, Host Jazzbeau said:

Anyone who has been to La Mercè in the past?  We will be there next Tuesday for the closing day, and I'm asking if these three events are different enough to go to all three or if one covers it:

•  12:00 Giants’ Procession – Dances of the Aliga and the Giants – Mercè Castellers [Plaça de Sant Jaume]

•  18:00 Cavalcade of La Mercè
•  20:30 Closing Procession (Toc a Plegar)

We were able to enjoy La Mercè on our trip.  The Giants' Procession was amazing [and it just kept coming!] We then fought our way to the small Plaça de Sant Jaume where the Castellers performed [it was incredibly crowded, but we were able to push our way in to see several groups perform, then push our way out again].  We skipped the 18:00 cavalcade because our hotel had given us free tickets to Palau Güell [which understandably weren't honored that day], and then we did get to Plaça de la Mercè to witness the Sardana Dancing.  After tapas dinner, we took the Metro to Plaça d’Espanya for the Musical Fireworks Display that closed out the festival – that was an incredible highlight.  I highly recommend arranging to be in Barcelona for the closing day of the festival!

More details in our blog of the trip:

jazzbeauxmediterraneancruise2019.wordpress.com