Why Dominican Republic as a port of call?

Kingofcool1947

Why do cruise lines continue to make port of call stops in Dominican Republic?  I don’t get it.

In recent news, several couples and a single women mysteriously died at luxury resorts.  Reports of tourists assaults, and robberies.   Most recently, a former NLB baseball star Dominican Republic Native,  David Ortiz,  was shot in a bar in the capital of Santo Domingo.   It’s a cess pool of thieves, murderers, corrupt police, and government officials. 

• Like 1

On 6/10/2019 at 12:47 AM, Kingofcool1947 said:

Why do cruise lines continue to make port of call stops in Dominican Republic?  I don’t get it.

In recent news, several couples and a single women mysteriously died at luxury resorts.  Reports of tourists assaults, and robberies.   Most recently, a former NLB baseball star Dominican Republic Native,  David Ortiz,  was shot in a bar in the capital of Santo Domingo.   It’s a cess pool of thieves, murderers, corrupt police, and government officials. 

Doesn't the same thing go on in Mexico?

Jamaica,

New York,

Miami?

See the connection...

All ports.

I am looking forward to our stop at Amber Cove.

Have never been and hired a local to take us around.

Had a good time La Romana  last year.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/10/2019 at 2:47 PM, Kingofcool1947 said:

Oh dear! Have you looked at Miami, New York, Chicago, etc? We might not have as many, but there are still plenty. Try google and you will see.

I'm looking for a cruise right now to go to the DR. Took a Celebrity cruise there about a month ago and want to go back.

Edited by ReneeFLL

22 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

Oh dear! Have you looked at Miami, New York, Chicago, etc? We might not have as many, but there are still plenty. Try google and you will see.

I'm looking for a cruise right now to go to the DR. Took a Celebrity cruise there about a month ago and want to go back.

What is it that you like about the D.R. to make you want to go back?Did you walk around on your own?  Where?  Downtown?

Or, if you took a shore ex.  What shore ex did you take, and would you recommend.?

I’m looking at an itinerary offered by Oceania.   Stops in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

22 minutes ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

What is it that you like about the D.R. to make you want to go back?Did you walk around on your own?  Where?  Downtown?

Or, if you took a shore ex.  What shore ex did you take, and would you recommend.?

Sorry but I can't recommend any excursions since we only shopped. You might think I'm crazy, but we took the cruise specifically to shop for larimar. I know we can fly there to go shopping and we get good (employee) flight prices, but we love to cruise.

The Celebrity cruise we took recently had a port change the day before from Punta Cana to Samana. This time I'm hoping to get in some shopping and a tour in Amber Cove. 

20190501_165637.jpg

20190501_114104.jpg

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

I’m looking at an itinerary offered by Oceania.   Stops in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic.

I used to go to Santo Domingo when I was with Pan Am many many years ago. We always had several days off each time and would explore the historical sites. If you like history there is so much there.

I'm looking at a Carnival cruise to go to Amber Cove. I haven't been on Carnival before thought I would never try them, but they go to the DR often and have good interline rates. I haven't thought of looking at Oceania. They are probably to much basically for a shopping trip, but i will take a look. Looking to try other cruise lines than Celebrity and Royal.

As for what you hear about the crimes, unfortunately it is everywhere. Be vigilant and stick with the tourist areas and go with a reputable tour company. Same as you would do in other ports. Hope you have a great cruise.

13 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

Sorry but I can't recommend any excursions since we only shopped. You might think I'm crazy, but we took the cruise specifically to shop for larimar. I know we can fly there to go shopping and we get good (employee) flight prices, but we love to cruise.

The Celebrity cruise we took recently had a port change the day before from Punta Cana to Samana. This time I'm hoping to get in some shopping and a tour in Amber Cove. 

20190501_165637.jpg

20190501_114104.jpg

A shopping stop👍😄.   Get some good prices on larinar?

So you walked around independently on your own, then?    And felt safe.

Near the port, where the jewelry stores/kiosk?    Or go into town/downtown to shop?

Did you stay out late?

And you had no concerns about your safety?

Yes, Oceania is expensive.  And that is also why I wondered why they would make a port call in D.R.  if it was unsafe for tourists (cruisers).

Edited by Kingofcool1947

We did the ATV tour through Mama Iguana tours from Amber Cove.  It was great, a group of only 8,  the guides were so nice,had lunch on the beach, cigar making demonstration , and a sample of the local home brew  liquor 😉. I never felt unsafe.

• Like 2

The DR is not a place to just get dropped off and wander around.  The Carnival port will get boring in about 10 minutes unless you are using the pool (which is very nice by the way).  On many other islands you can take a taxi and walk around a town reasonably at ease.  Not the DR.  Find a taxi at the port with a driver whose english is good and have him give you the "three hour tour" or book a ship's excursion  We did that and had a great time.  The safest way to see the area.  I did some volunteer work in the Puerto Plata area and we always had someone armed with us for added security.  

Assaults and robberies happen everywhere.

David Ortiz was a planned hit. Even if it was mistaken identity.

It isn't clear what killed the people who died recently. Waiting for the reports on that. (FBI is conducting lab tests on some of them at the request of Dominican authorities. But results won't happen immediately.)

According to the State Department, the actual number of American tourists dying there this year is not unusual. Dominican Republic is extraordinarily popular with American tourists because it's comparatively affordable.  It's just the causes that might be different.

Right now if visiting from a cruise (I have one booked for next February) I wouldn't drink open alcohol and I would not go wandering around the island and I certainly wouldn't be driving myself there. Port area should be OK, if you want a drink make sure it's from a sealed receptacle. 

No real reason yet to cancel it as a port of call.

On 6/12/2019 at 5:06 PM, ReneeFLL said:

20190501_165637.jpg

20190501_114104.jpg

Love Larimar. Our cruise is to port in La Romana in October. I will probably only get off the ship to see what kind of treasures I can find.

15 hours ago, HowardK said:

Has anyone changed their plans? I am still planning on going in 2021 

No, we have a private tour set up in September for my wife & I.

Ending up on a beach with lunch and drinks.

Have no worries at all.

We haven't been to Amber Cove (Puerto Plata) before so we are excited to visit this side.

We've been to La Romana and had a great time there, matter of fact we survived.

On a bit of a whim the wife and I just snagged a booking on Princess in December for a 4 day run out to Amber Cove and back.  Never done such a short cruise but a total bonus escape from Pittsburgh to FL/DR in December so why not.  It's on the Island Princess, right in the midst of it's schedule of doing nothing but 10-day Panama Canal runs.  Clearly an audible cruise to cover a short gap between the last Panama Canal run and when they want the Christmas 10-day cruise to start.  If they just ran another 10-day on the day of our cruise then Christmas would have been disembarkation day.

The price seemed particularly low so I'm not sure if concerns over the Dominican are driving down demand or if it's just the oddball one-off Mon-Fri itinerary, but I figure if there's any legit concerns they'll cancel/change itineraries, or maybe concerns will lessen and prices will go back up...I don't actually expect anything to change between now and the cruise but you never know...either way now seemed a good time to book.

Don't have a full list of excursions available yet but looking at what's usually offered it looks like plenty of beach options, which is what we'll be in the market for.  Will be sticking with excursions offered by the cruise line.

• 4 months later...

Hmmm--so we stop in Samana for the day on a Celebrity cruise in early March 2020.  We just booked, but haven't seen too much info on Samana.  Is it OK to just get off and walk the promenade and town?  We don't need beach action or shopping.  More into walking and taking pictures.

• 4 weeks later...

We were in Amber Cove two years ago and will be there this coming March.  We were supposed to dock on the other side of the Dominican but they changed our itinerary at the last minute so didn't have a chance to plan this stop in advance.  We hired a taxi at the exit for a three hour tour (as described above).  Our guide's English was pretty good -he was new to the job, however.  The tour was a set rate for the day (set before we left), and he gave us a hot spot in the car, which was great for catching up email, etc. while we were driving.  He gave us some choices as to what to do - we hit the cable car first - good thing, too - the lines got incredibly long later - make sure your taxi driver comes up with you, or you will be herded into paying another guide for his "tour", and be forced into shopping at the top. The trip up the cable car was definitely worth the trip.  We also went to the cigar factory, the rum factory, stopped at the coffee place, and a place to buy larimar.  We also hit the beach.  If you haven't been to Puerto Plata before, it's a good way to spend the day - we did have time at the end to spend in the cruise port.  I found the prices in the cruise port (for souvenirs) were as good as in town - not sure if that's still the case.  While driving around, it never looked like it would be unsafe, but I think they were ready to take advantage of tourists as far as pricing goes.

This time, I think we will do a ship's excursion - one of the voluntourism opportunities.

• Like 1