Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
pcur

Don't get lazy: keep an eye on those prices

Recommended Posts

Don't think that just because RCCL (yaaaawn) "extended" their current "sale" that you won't get a nice surprise.

 

I booked 4 cruises on board the Jewel in March, and was pretty much ho-hum about checking prices since the current promo was dragging on for a long time.  Today they extended it, so I figured I'd check again.

 

Results:

1 - more expensive

1 - $36 savings, after giving up the $50 obc:  I passed on this one.

1- $887 savings after giving up the $50 obc

1 - $81 savings after giving up the $50 obc

 

So, I lost $100 in obc, and got a net $918 reduction in my final payments.  I'll take that!!!  Plus, the Next Cruise obc stays, and I can make changes at no charge until 5/12/19.  (60 days from booking on board, you can make changes with no fees).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, molly361 said:

What ships and dates?

Rhapsody the whole month of March 2020.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Checked our next 4 cruises thru Feb 2020.  They're all up 300.00-1,000.00+ from prices we locked in long ago.  Guess it still pays to book early :classic_tongue:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, bouhunter said:

Checked our next 4 cruises thru Feb 2020.  They're all up 300.00-1,000.00+ from prices we locked in long ago.  Guess it still pays to book early :classic_tongue:

I booked our 4 Rhapsody cruises a year in advance, and got the price drop on 3 today, about 3 months after booking.  I was surprised they went down this soon.

 

I tracked our last cruises (7) for over a year, and the closer I got to sail dates, the more the prices went up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bouhunter said:

Checked our next 4 cruises thru Feb 2020.  They're all up 300.00-1,000.00+ from prices we locked in long ago.  Guess it still pays to book early :classic_tongue:

  It can co both ways.  I've booked cruises as soon as they open up, and have had the prices go down later.  It all comes down the "promotion" they are running at the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Wahed said:

  It all comes down the "promotion" they are running at the time.

Prices are more influenced by inventory levels, than any "promotion".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My cruise last November on oasis price was reduced by over 500 , booked grand suite, after all reductions was able to get owners suite for original price of grand suite. Pays to keep checking also if you buy drink package.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pcur said:

Don't think that just because RCCL (yaaaawn) "extended" their current "sale" that you won't get a nice surprise.

 

I booked 4 cruises on board the Jewel in March, and was pretty much ho-hum about checking prices since the current promo was dragging on for a long time.  Today they extended it, so I figured I'd check again.

 

Results:

1 - more expensive

1 - $36 savings, after giving up the $50 obc:  I passed on this one.

1- $887 savings after giving up the $50 obc

1 - $81 savings after giving up the $50 obc

 

So, I lost $100 in obc, and got a net $918 reduction in my final payments.  I'll take that!!!  Plus, the Next Cruise obc stays, and I can make changes at no charge until 5/12/19.  (60 days from booking on board, you can make changes with no fees).

Can someone please advise me where to go to check current pricing

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are booked on the Allure this September.  We have caught 2 price drops for a total savings of over  $450.  We are now past final payment date but this was a super savings.  It definitely pays to watch your prices. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, MamaTene said:

Can someone please advise me where to go to check current pricing

 

Just go on Royal's website and do a dummy booking for your ship, date and category

Edited by molly361

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, George C said:

My cruise last November on oasis price was reduced by over 500 , booked grand suite, after all reductions was able to get owners suite for original price of grand suite. Pays to keep checking also if you buy drink package.

 

In fact keep an eye on all pre cruise purchases -- I've been surprised that even shore excursions can fluctuate quite considerably.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, pcur said:

Don't think that just because RCCL (yaaaawn) "extended" their current "sale" that you won't get a nice surprise.

 

I booked 4 cruises on board the Jewel in March, and was pretty much ho-hum about checking prices since the current promo was dragging on for a long time.  Today they extended it, so I figured I'd check again.

 

Results:

1 - more expensive

1 - $36 savings, after giving up the $50 obc:  I passed on this one.

1- $887 savings after giving up the $50 obc

1 - $81 savings after giving up the $50 obc

 

So, I lost $100 in obc, and got a net $918 reduction in my final payments.  I'll take that!!!  Plus, the Next Cruise obc stays, and I can make changes at no charge until 5/12/19.  (60 days from booking on board, you can make changes with no fees).

I didn't get as much as I expected, after RCCL's fuzzy math, but I did save some money.  

 

Regarding dutchclogs comment above:

 

Yes, shore excursions, drink packages, specialty dining prices, etc., can all change in the Cruise Planner after you book.  We got Chops for $21.99 per person, and used our D+ BOGO the second night.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On my last three cruises (NCL, Carnival, RCCL -102 days to go) I haven't had one price drop. On the most recent two, the cabins in my category are sold out. I probably won't check RCCL again until final payment (7/7) to see if they open up/drop. I have two more booked Princess Jan 2020 and Celebrity Jan 2021 and no movement there either....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I just saved $ 4,000 on one cruise... Oh, that’s right, I canceled that cruise. 

 

Always good to keep an eye out for price changes. 

Edited by neverbeenhere

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We never see a price drop in the Grand Loft Suites.  Our November cruise they are sold out and in Sept. 2020 for Alaska the room went up $1500 from when we booked.  Just wish airfare would go down a little.  It will cost us half of a cruise price to fly from NV to NJ.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Keep a watchful eye on those excursion prices too because they fluctuate a LOT! We began booking our excursions for this upcoming cruise 9 months ago and have saved $382 so far....this is for a med, lots of excursions happening....we will just cancel and then rebook under the new rates! Saving money big time!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had four price drops significant enough to call and reprice on my Nov 2020 Allure, but nothing in a month now.  It seems to have leveled out.  What I have noticed, though, is that the basic cruise fare has fluctuated from $800pp to $1300pp in the past month or so yet the final price seems to remain constant.  So they offer a promo, raise the basic fare, and the cruise is still the same price.  I am still diligent to look several times a week and at least once on the weekends for now.  That cruise is a long way off, but I have a feeling my price won't go down anymore than where it is now.  I booked at just shy of 2 years in advance!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

And if you're booking a popular sailing like the Greek Isles, it pays to book the minute the rates are released.  The price we paid for our GS was less than what the OV was going for before it sold out.  The Cat.JS was $3,000 more than our GS right before the cruise sold out.  It's all about demand. 

Edited by DrivesLikeMario
sp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Majesty and Empress have KILLER rates now that there's no Cuba.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, DrivesLikeMario said:

And if you're booking a popular sailing like the Greek Isles, it pays to book the minute the rates are released.  The price we paid for our GS was less than what the OV was going for before it sold out.  The Cat.JS was $3,000 more than our GS right before the cruise sold out.  It's all about demand. 

I agree.  It pays to book sooner rather than later.  My Greek Isle cruise has gone up considerably since booking it for a 2020 sailing.  

 

Not had any price reductions on any Caribbean sailings lately either on Royal.  Have gotten some price reductions on Princess sailings, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our Southern Caribbean Cruise in April of next year had a price drop and gave me a $497 savings.  I check weekly to see if there is any difference and was shocked to see how much it dropped a couple of weeks ago.  I will continue to check all the way up to the final time I can check.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We've saved $198.00 over three different price drops on Allure OTS for December 2020 and $102.00 for our Independence OTS cruise in April 2021.  Our December 2019 on Adventure OTS has had two price drops and we have save a total  of apx. $500 dollars.  I wasn't charting that cruise from the the time I booked it like I have started with the others so I'm not sure of the exact amount. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, johnjen said:

Keep a watchful eye on those excursion prices too because they fluctuate a LOT! We began booking our excursions for this upcoming cruise 9 months ago and have saved $382 so far....this is for a med, lots of excursions happening....we will just cancel and then rebook under the new rates! Saving money big time!

This is good advice too.  I have saved quite a bit watching our excursion prices for our upcoming cruise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

on my may 16 2020 rhapsody cruise I booked a balcony last month and last wed it went down $100 then thur another $100. I checked on mon and it was now $500 cheaper. I switched to a corner aft junior sweet and the price is $ 250 cheaper than the balcony was. today it is back up a couple hundred. It pays to check everyday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Holiday Exchange - Jingle and Mingle 2019
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...