Night Market near Vancouver

scsagh

Has anyone been to one of the Night Markets in the Vancouver area pre-cruise, or otherwise? Our 23 year old daughter says she wants to go while we are in Vancouver. I wondered if anyone would recommend the Richmond Night Market or the North Shore Green Market on a Friday night? Are they fun? Overcrowded?  Just a place to eat?

We will be staying at the Residence Inn in Vancouver with no vehicle, so would have to figure out public transit or taxi if we go.

Thanks for any info and opinions locals and/or cruisers can give us!

Edited by scsagh

Unless your daughter demands the Asian experience (in which case SkyTrain to Bridgeport Station, then walk maybe 10mins) I'd suggest that the North Shore will work fine if it's a Friday, and it's closer - though the Seabus and SkyTrain cost the same and can take about the same time due to the lower frequency of the latter so it's not really that much of a difference. While the scale is tiny compared to Richmond, there's plenty of food trucks and music over at Lonsdale Quay, as well as the large number of stores & restos already located there.

Overcrowded... yes, but if you're used to cruising then certainly no worse than waiting to get on a ship/find a quiet spot onboard on a sea day; fun? I have no idea what YOU think is fun, so you'll have to figure that one out experientially; and no, not just somewhere to eat (Richmond puts on large scale exhibits - animatronic dinosaurs and all sorts of weird stuff have been booked in the past! - and Lonsdale has always put on live music Fridays since pretty much when they started).

On 6/10/2019 at 2:12 PM, martincath said:

Unless your daughter demands the Asian experience (in which case SkyTrain to Bridgeport Station, then walk maybe 10mins) I'd suggest that the North Shore will work fine if it's a Friday, and it's closer - though the Seabus and SkyTrain cost the same and can take about the same time due to the lower frequency of the latter so it's not really that much of a difference. While the scale is tiny compared to Richmond, there's plenty of food trucks and music over at Lonsdale Quay, as well as the large number of stores & restos already located there.

Overcrowded... yes, but if you're used to cruising then certainly no worse than waiting to get on a ship/find a quiet spot onboard on a sea day; fun? I have no idea what YOU think is fun, so you'll have to figure that one out experientially; and no, not just somewhere to eat (Richmond puts on large scale exhibits - animatronic dinosaurs and all sorts of weird stuff have been booked in the past! - and Lonsdale has always put on live music Fridays since pretty much when they started).

Thanks for the info martincath. I'm currently trying to find out from my niece when she flies into Vancouver on Friday night. That could end up affecting things too!

Thanks for posting about this @scsagh. I was unaware this was even a thing and it sounds great! 

Going to hijack the thread here a little bit; @martincath or anyone else familiar with Vancouver, are there any night markets or similar type events on Thursday nights? Our cruise leaves on a Friday, but we will be in town all day on the Thursday prior as we are flying in late Wednesday night. Thanks!

Sorry, but even Richmond is only open weekend nights (there just isn't enough demand weeknights) and Lonsdale (not the official name but it'll take years before I start calling it that given the relative history of Lonsdale Quay market and lack of consistent marketing of the new Friday night market...) is literally just Fridays only.

Edit - there is something that runs after dark Thursday evenings though: free outdoor movies at Canada Place! Might be ideal to keep you awake until sensible-o'clock local time...

Edited by martincath
  • Like 1