Pacific Princess in October or Regatta in March?

amitje

We are booked on the Regatta, 10 days French Polynesia leaving on March 25th, 2020. I've  now just noticed (thank you cruise critic!!) that Princess has also resumed the FP itinerary.

I booked this trip prior to knowing that Princess was going.. so now I'm in serious doubt.

I've never sailed Oceania before so would love to try that - but I also like Princess and know what to expect. Pricewise, the difference won't be huge - Princess quotes a lower fare but Oceania has a lot more included so the Princess cruise would cost us (at least) as much as the Oceania cruise.. my biggest concern is the weather.

Oceania is departing on March 25th, Princess on October 5th - if I've done my homework correctly, the early October option seems a safer option for less rain and humidity.

Any experienced travellers that can give me some good advice whether it's worth cancelling my Oceania trip and going with Princess instead?? It's not the comparison of the cruiselines I'm looking for, but all about the weather.. This will be a once in a lifetime so I wonder whether it will make a difference..

(I'm not looking to change to PG - not for my wallet)

There are a few tradeoffs  …..

To answer the weather question first early October is wonderful  …. Late March still has a bit more humidity and possible rain but it is much better than December, January and February.

Now the ships  ….  Oceania is a step up, especially in the food area. Both ships are 'sisters' when they were designed originally.

I've been on both way back when both were owned by the same company. 

Personally I don't like the nickel and diming Princess does …. so I moved on to Paul Gauguin and never looked back 😉

Any difference in the itinerary? 

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna

Thanks for your feedback!

Princess has fewer stops, not visiting Fakarava and Nuku Hiva (leaving Papeete in the evening instead of the morning after an overnight stay) and 1/2 day longer in Bora Bora. If March is not too bad weatherwise, I lean towards Oceania.. 

yeah, Paul Gauguin sounds great.. one day 😊

44 minutes ago, amitje said:

Thanks for your feedback!

Princess has fewer stops, not visiting Fakarava and Nuku Hiva (leaving Papeete in the evening instead of the morning after an overnight stay) and 1/2 day longer in Bora Bora. If March is not too bad weatherwise, I lean towards Oceania.. 

yeah, Paul Gauguin sounds great.. one day 😊

If those are your only two options I think your making a wise choice. Maybe I'll see you on a PG cruise someday but be warned, going on the PG sets the bar high, real high and once you've tasted the real deal there is no going back 😉

Not a big fan PG, so I'll leave that one alone! But between Princess and O there is no doubt. O is definitely the more luxurious, dining superb, ambiance lovely, service beyond compare. And yet very relaxed. I have been in both October and March and both months were equally lovely although as you've no doubt seen it is the shoulder season weather-wise for both months. If it helps I'm doing Regatta also on April 14 and have no qualms about weather. Seeing Fakarava is a once in a lifetime- it's exquisite. You must book Ato Lissant in Fakarava for a real treat. fakaravaexplorer@hotmail.com Niku Hiva in the Marquesas is lovely but no snorkeling or water activities- just a jeep ride through the back country with cultural sites and views.

In French Polynesia I've done PG once, Princess twice, Windstar twice and now sixth time doing Oceania and will continue with them (and Windstar) till I shed this mortal coil! Lastly we just did a 17 day on Windstar in December which SHOULD be the height of the rainy season. It was gorgeous- only one rainy day in 17 days. Year round the weather is almost always unpredictable but I'd have no qualms going in March. (Or anytime :))