Medication on a world cruise - UK poster

babs135

Although I have posted this question on the general forum I thought I might get more replies from other UK travellers by posting it here as well.

How do people manage with their medication on a long cruise?  We're not doing one but noticed Holland America's cruise is 128 nights.  That's an awful lot of tablets and insulin. Our carry on cases are already half full of tablets when we do short cruises. I'm just imagining a suitcase full of tablets and no clothes. 🤣🤣

15 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

If your WC visits Dubai, you can purchase medications without prescriptions. We did this on our last WC, as our son lived in Dubai at the time, so took us to a reputable ex-pat Chemist.

If you can trust the pharmacies to fulfil your medication needs accurately (similar medicines),  some countries (asia and sub continent) are very very cheap.

On 11 June 2019 at 11:11 AM, babs135 said:

Although I have posted this question on the general forum I thought I might get more replies from other UK travellers by posting it here as well.

How do people manage with their medication on a long cruise?  We're not doing one but noticed Holland America's cruise is 128 nights.  That's an awful lot of tablets and insulin. Our carry on cases are already half full of tablets when we do short cruises. I'm just imagining a suitcase full of tablets and no clothes. 🤣🤣

No personal experience, but just a few thoughts.

Have  a look at the website t1 resources.uk or type in a search for airlines allowing an extra bag for medication.

You may be allowed an extra carry on bag for medication and insulin supplies. Of course this means you will need to be able to carry the extra bag but maybe a wheelie case/ rollaboard and a backpack?

Might need to contact Cruiseline for storing insulin depending on size of fridge in cabin.

Many cruise lines do not have fridges in the cabins, and only have coolers and some do not have anything. HAL for instance charges $2 per day for a fridge to be in the cabin (most cabin classes) and this needs to be arranged prior to the cruise to ensure you get one.

I've bought my ticket for tonight's draw and maybe just maybe it will be my turn to win big. Bit worried though when you read how many people's lives are ruined by winning. For some the saying  'money is the root of all evil' is clearly correct.

5 hours ago, babs135 said:

I've bought my ticket for tonight's draw and maybe just maybe it will be my turn to win big. Bit worried though when you read how many people's lives are ruined by winning. For some the saying  'money is the root of all evil' is clearly correct.

Awww- you can always give it away...

I'll help you! 😉

• Like 1

6 hours ago, babs135 said:

Sadly I didn't win the lottery but I did win £4 on a scratchcard. Will that be enough for a cappuccino on the QM2?? 😁

That is more than me, we won $3.30 AUD in a $80m draw. maybe a can of softdrink for me.

I am overseas for 3 months Feb-May next year, including cruises Majestic Princess - Sydney to Singapore and Arcadia - Singapore to Southampton with time in Singapore and England.

Done that sort of thing before, I just go to my Doc and get 3 months worth of pills, I take half a dozen pills a day, so end up with a big plastic bag of pills, transparent and ensure prescription labels with my name and Dr's name  are on containers.  Never had an issue, even going through the US of A.

Edited by NSWP

On 6/18/2019 at 4:54 PM, MicCanberra said:

Many cruise lines do not have fridges in the cabins, and only have coolers and some do not have anything. HAL for instance charges $2 per day for a fridge to be in the cabin (most cabin classes) and this needs to be arranged prior to the cruise to ensure you get one.

If I may Mic, a few HAL ships do have fridges in the cabins, recently on Noordam and our Balcony cabin had a fridge.  But I know some do not.

48 minutes ago, NSWP said:

If I may Mic, a few HAL ships do have fridges in the cabins, recently on Noordam and our Balcony cabin had a fridge.  But I know some do not.

Yes, as I said some lines and some cabin classes. We didn't on the Maasdam in an Oceanview and my brother had a balcony suite that had one.