"Essentials" prices onboard

Hi

On the off chance anyone is reading this on an RC cruise right now, can you give me specific examples of how much some "essentials" are in the on-board store, like shampoo, toothpaste, Advil etc.

I know they are going to be obviously higher than on land but just wanted an example of by how much.

Thanks

41 minutes ago, Londontraveller67 said:

Good point, thanks, but I meant something branded like Head & Shoulders, which I believe they sell on board.

I would take things like that with you or even buy at a pharmacy in a port. The shops on board are expensive for essentials IMO.

• Like 1

Not exactly toiletries, but my wife has an iPhone 7 and forgot to pack her apple headphones with the lighting end and her dongle, and didn't notice until we were already checked in at the cruise port. After the shops opened the first night, we checked the main gift shop and they actually sold a pair of bluetooth earbuds for only $12. They had really short battery life and were cheaply made, but honestly, you'd see the same model for probably around $7-10 on land, and just as expensive as on the ship in a touristy area or small convenience store (if not more expensive). It was overpriced, but surprisingly not as bad as one would expect. 

Bought a can of shaving cream, once. Barbasol. It was very expensive, from what I remember. Want to know what else I remember? It lasted about four times longer than my regular shaving cream, Gilette Foamy!!

Edited by rusty nut

Over our many cruises we have had the very rare occasion to require sundry purchases aboard.  I cannot recall exact prices, but I’d guess about triple our hometown drugstore.  Just as problematic is the scant selection.  Just because one ship has Head and Shoulders this week does not mean your ship will have it in stock when you sail, either sold out or changed brands.  We try to anticipate and pack all possible toiletry needs.  Each cruise we bring a selection of OTC meds, which fortunately generally are unneeded, save the occasional Advil or cold tablet.

5 hours ago, Londontraveller67 said:

can you give me specific examples of how much some "essentials" are in the on-board store, like shampoo, toothpaste, Advil etc.

More than you want to pay.  Take what you'll need.

• Like 1

I see that you are from London and if you are sailing from the US, most ports have places nearby to purchase "travel size" item for lower prices than on the ships.  I don't know where you port of embarkation is, but I'm sure that if you are taking a cab/Uber to the port from your airport, you could ask for a pit stop on the way.

If you are coming in a day before the cruise, you will be able to go to a local grocery store and get what you need as those items are sold in most stores.  I wouldn't spend $7 for a tube of toothpaste or the huge markup for Advil etc.

I can totally understand not wanting to use limited airline weight capacity to fly overseas!

I highly recommend coming in at least one day in advance (honestly, for overseas, I'd do two days in advance as a minimum... never know when weather or mechanical issues will cause a flight delay!).  

Then you can, as recommended above, go to a local grocery store or drugstore (there's a Walgreens or CVS on every single corner in this country, I swear!) and purchase everything you need at normal retail prices, which are going to be WAY less than the prices posted above.  

One time I thought I had forgotten to pack my antiperspirant... definitely NOT something I can go without on a tropical cruise!  My Uber driver stopped at a grocery store that was on the way to the port (and earned himself a $5 cash tip) and I was able to purchase my favorite brand (later, I found mine when unpacking... it was tucked somewhere I hadn't looked!  LOL).  

For things like the shampoo, if the weight is going to be an issue on your return flight, just buy a small bottle and ask your room steward to pass along what is left to someone in the crew who could use it.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, biomedbob said:

Thanks for posting these pictures.  Don't know how you were able to get them.  I've tried in the past, but folks wouldn't allow it.

Nooooo one cared. 😄

Here are are some more:

368EF8F4-FDF9-4BD9-A156-9F8EA9EDC77C.jpeg

BD5A393B-1357-4BD0-9056-14301A949FE1.jpeg

2A846E0C-30AD-4907-B710-31AE5553B791.jpeg

CB418A85-A6D3-4468-A1ED-42B953CBB48E.jpeg

1CF5B23C-C69A-48F3-A154-ED52140670B8.jpeg

0686B40E-7DDE-41E1-A751-B9AFEC9048EB.jpeg

2798AD25-8FB4-4B95-B1CB-31556341EAC1.jpeg

A0B8844D-82B8-4827-83E8-ED6E38AA1979.jpeg

DFF3E12E-5EB8-49E5-8A71-7BAFB0A8411E.jpeg

1C1B3B68-7A8E-4C88-BEE1-816552987BFA.jpeg

E590C752-DB0E-41A8-A05C-9F6B3ED152A0.jpeg

5E6B22FD-A4C0-4770-9FAF-E8B6456B1D51.jpeg

61D919AC-B0A7-40EC-B92E-4863E158E054.jpeg

4ADB4660-7F99-41D2-B095-1EB6EAF6D7F6.jpeg

F5EC4DED-14AD-4AA1-A84E-81F52A1FB507.jpeg

83475F94-4EAC-46D6-B7BE-CE19DBCE41A4.jpeg

10F7DA2C-ACB9-4E15-91BD-8D6811F34DBA.jpeg

CA8D98B7-1E4A-4631-A6B9-FA5703546A0A.jpeg

• Like 1

Wow, they give away meclizine packets for FREE at Guest Services and the medical center, but they charge for it (Bonine) in the store!

And that itch cream is the exact same brand you get at Dollar Tree for a buck.  (I recognize the box.)  They're charging $3.99 for it, so there's your proof that things are four times the normal retail when purchased on board.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Londontraveller67 said:

Hi

On the off chance anyone is reading this on an RC cruise right now, can you give me specific examples of how much some "essentials" are in the on-board store, like shampoo, toothpaste, Advil etc.

I know they are going to be obviously higher than on land but just wanted an example of by how much.

Thanks

What port are you leaving from? If we know this we can tell you of a nearby place to buy the stuff.

• Like 1