Royal Clipper October newbie

Car-mel

My husband and I are on the Rome to Rome trip and can't wait! This will be our first time on a boat that sleeps more than 6 and would love any advice. 

I've done a lot of research when it comes to ports of call, etc, but what can we expect on the boat itself? How laid back is it? Does it get lively in the evenings? Are the landings wet and dry? Do women dress smartly or wear plimsoles and slacks in the evenings? I'd like to be a little prepared, particularly as we have a big celebration one night.

Thank you in advance.

The ship is very laid back. Quoting from the website "The atmosphere on the ship will be very relaxed and casual. For daytime wear, walking shorts, bathing attire with cover-ups, skirts, light trousers, and hats are recommended. For shore excursions, comfortable walking shoes are essential. In the evening, sun dresses, skirts or slacks for women, and slacks with polo or dress shirts for men are recommended. Jackets are not required – but are welcome for Captain’s dinner."

There is usually some entertainment each evening but don't think "Broadway Musical"! It might be a musical quiz or a crew and passenger talent show. There will always be music and dancing each night - whether it is lively or not is largely down to the group of passengers on board for that cruise; we have had cruises where the dancing goes on into the early hours and other cruises where people head for bed much earlier.

At most ports of call, you will be tendered to a pier. I haven't done the Rome to Rome cruise so don't know if the beach stop(s) will involve a wet landing - more often than not, you can get ashore dry-footed even at a wet-landing due to the design of the ramp at the front of the tenders.

Have a great time!

Car-mel

I'm a bit biased. I'm on my 15th Star Clippers cruise this Saturday - Royal Clipper out of Rome to Venice. So I'll be able to tell you if it is a wet landing at  Ponza and the Pontine Islands early next week!

On 6/12/2019 at 9:23 PM, PurleyKing said:

Car-mel

I'm a bit biased. I'm on my 15th Star Clippers cruise this Saturday - Royal Clipper out of Rome to Venice. So I'll be able to tell you if it is a wet landing at  Ponza and the Pontine Islands early next week!

I have visited Ponza twice on Royal Clipper. It is a tender port, we lay at anchor off shore and were taken in to the quay on the ships launch - the port is too small for a ship of Royal Clippers size to tie up.

A pretty little place with a selection of shops, bars and restaurants.