Alright, curious about the edible straws.....

RoperDK

I would like to see how edible they really are. I'll be happy if they don't change the taste or fall apart before you have finished using them. Those are by two biggest complaints about paper straws and I'm glad Carnival didn't go that route.  Besides everyone knows paper straws are made from recycled toilet paper right?? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

If this is true, I think I will like it. Looks promising ...if this is what Carnival will be using. 

LOLISTRAWS look and feel like regular plastic straws, according to their IndieGoGo page. However they go “from straw to soil in 60 days or less” rather than sitting in a landfill for what is essentially forever. You don’t need to worry about the straw disintegrating in your drink, either. LOLISTRAWS will last for 24 hours in your beverage and have a shelf life of up to two years. 

https://youtu.be/4HV91fkAIbg

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, wo5m said:

If this is true, I think I will like it. Looks promising ...if this is what Carnival will be using. 

LOLISTRAWS look and feel like regular plastic straws, according to their IndieGoGo page. However they go “from straw to soil in 60 days or less” rather than sitting in a landfill for what is essentially forever. You don’t need to worry about the straw disintegrating in your drink, either. LOLISTRAWS will last for 24 hours in your beverage and have a shelf life of up to two years. 

https://youtu.be/4HV91fkAIbg

That is interesting!  Not what I was thinking about when I heard edible straws.  I was imagining a hollow rolled cookie or chocolate type thing.  I've never seen that, but that's what I pictured.  If those straws are biodegradable, then why don't they offer them for other drinks?  Probably a cost factor.  I wonder if they have a biodegradable olive picks?  Bloody Mary's are just not the same without olives!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RoperDK said:

That is interesting!  Not what I was thinking about when I heard edible straws.  I was imagining a hollow rolled cookie or chocolate type thing.  I've never seen that, but that's what I pictured.  If those straws are biodegradable, then why don't they offer them for other drinks?  Probably a cost factor.  I wonder if they have a biodegradable olive picks?  Bloody Mary's are just not the same without olives!

I was wondering the same thing. I've had olives stabbed with bamboo looking tooth picks. Maybe they'll be using something like that.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, coevan said:

the price on the link, probably in bulk they might be cheaper, but still outrageous. 

2 minutes ago, Mrs CruisinCritter said:

Someone asked John Heald about them and this was his reply... 

Screenshot_20190611-185731_Facebook.jpg

Looks like the cost doesn’t matter because of Carnival’s recent commitment to the environment.

21 minutes ago, Butterbean1000 said:

I was wondering the same thing. I've had olives stabbed with bamboo looking tooth picks. Maybe they'll be using something like that.

We have those bamboo toothpick things served locally, too.  I know bamboo is renewable, but didn't think a toothpick would ruin the environment. I must be uninformed. 

17 minutes ago, Mrs CruisinCritter said:

Someone asked John Heald about them and this was his reply... 

Screenshot_20190611-185731_Facebook.jpg

I wonder if I could score one of those for my margaritas on the rocks.  Acidic drinks make my lips break out.  And no, I'm not giving up my margaritas.  I will find a way.  Don't want to bring my own plastic straws.  There has to be a compromise!

2 hours ago, RoperDK said:

We have those bamboo toothpick things served locally, too.  I know bamboo is renewable, but didn't think a toothpick would ruin the environment. I must be uninformed. 

I was thinking about the plastic tooth picks used to stabbed olives.  I've seen bars use regular,  plastic and the bamboo ones. I have no preference just as long ad I get my olives.😉

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wo5m said:

I would like to see how edible they really are. I'll be happy if they don't change the taste or fall apart before you have finished using them. Those are by two biggest complaints about paper straws and I'm glad Carnival didn't go that route.  Besides everyone knows paper straws are made from recycled toilet paper right?? 

That's the secret binding agent.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, JaxsMama said:

I'm packing my own box of straws!

I don't even need a box I'll steal a handful or two from Mickey D's the night before the cruise.fish really like those.we use them with gold hooks to catch mackerel.

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

You can purchase a metal collapsible straw with brush, container and shipping for 3.29 on eBay.

I still don’t understand why anyone would want to carry around a metal straw with a brush to clean it. I’m sure carrying such items are easier for many women though who utilize a handbag but for most men, there’s only so much you can hold in pockets. Why would someone waste valuable pocket space on this when disposable plastics work just fine?

Edited by xDisconnections
  • Like 1