Alright, curious about the edible straws.....

RoperDK

1 hour ago, pirate4me2 said:

I’m really not crazy about a lime flavored straw...I will be swiping a bunch from Starbucks on my way to the ship. 

So one company does something to help the environment and your answer is to steal from another company?  Unreal.

1 hour ago, xDisconnections said:

I still don’t understand why anyone would want to carry around a metal straw with a brush to clean it. I’m sure carrying such items are easier for many women though who utilize a handbag but for most men, there’s only so much you can hold in pockets. Why would someone waste valuable pocket space on this when disposable plastics work just fine?

You do realize that the purpose of this thread is the discussion of Carnival eliminating the "disposable plastics that work just fine" that you wish to use.  Are you going to purchase them before your cruise and then keep them in your pocket or swipe them from Starbucks like pirate4me2 is going to do?

1 hour ago, cmichael1279 said:

So one company does something to help the environment and your answer is to steal from another company?  Unreal.

It's OK, he's just another card carrying member of the me generation.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

You do realize that the purpose of this thread is the discussion of Carnival eliminating the "disposable plastics that work just fine" that you wish to use.  Are you going to purchase them before your cruise and then keep them in your pocket or swipe them from Starbucks like pirate4me2 is going to do?

I’m not a fan of eliminating single use disposable plastics and don’t have an issue sharing the unpopular opinion. It’s something I discuss daily as I have a family member involved in the state’s straw free campaign.

Luckily for me, I have the opportunity to purchase in bulk at wholesaler rates through Sysco that are individually wrapped. I wouldn’t dream of stealing from Starbucks or McDonald’s like two previous posters mentioned.

Unfortunately, I have started to bring them wherever I go including cruise ships. Most restaurants where I live have switched to paper and the cities directly north and south of me have outright banned the distribution of them. A lot of my free time is spent at a nearby theme park which no longer offers plastic straws or even lids.

Edited by xDisconnections

8 minutes ago, xDisconnections said:

Unfortunately, I have started to bring them wherever I go including cruise ships.

So now you need to make sure that you wear a shirt that has a breast pocket to hold your individually wrapped plastic straws instead of having a folded metal straw in the rear right pocket of your pants or shorts.  You were the one that mentioned valuable pocket space in your earlier response and since you really can't keep the paper covered plastic straws in your pants or shorts pockets because they would get creased and become useless, you have to have a breast pocket to keep them in.  It just seems easier and of course more PC to use the collapsible  metal ones.  Or of course just drink bottled beer or at the Alchemy Bar where you don't need straws.

12 hours ago, RoperDK said:

I wonder if I could score one of those for my margaritas on the rocks.  Acidic drinks make my lips break out.  And no, I'm not giving up my margaritas.  I will find a way.  Don't want to bring my own plastic straws.  There has to be a compromise!

I'm also a margarita (on the rocks) drinker. That lime straw sounds like it would compliment a margarita nicely. Hopefully they will serve them to us if we ask nicely :)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

So now you need to make sure that you wear a shirt that has a breast pocket to hold your individually wrapped plastic straws instead of having a folded metal straw in the rear right pocket of your pants or shorts.  You were the one that mentioned valuable pocket space in your earlier response and since you really can't keep the paper covered plastic straws in your pants or shorts pockets because they would get creased and become useless, you have to have a breast pocket to keep them in.  It just seems easier and of course more PC to use the collapsible  metal ones.  Or of course just drink bottled beer or at the Alchemy Bar where you don't need straws.

Hey, if that’s what you think 😉

Imagination is a wonderful thing.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, xDisconnections said:

Might be but I’ll stick to disposable plastics for now for my beverage of choice.

So the plastic straws will just be a subscription to the plastic pocket protector from middle school. 😁

Truthfully, if you are that against drinking a beverage without a straw, invest in the metal reusable ones.  About the same trouble to carry around as a lighter, but doesn't have the environmental impact.  Might as well get used to it as it won't be long till they are banned in all states.

• Like 1

Thank you, everyone for this thread.  It reminded me to do a little Carnival cutback shopping.  I just popped over to Sam's Club online (3 FunPoints per $ spent on my MC :classic_biggrin: and free shipping) and bought these:

image.png.fe1a3e6b55e9942ca0ee6f1fd9abe3b0.png

Member's Mark Wrapped Jumbo Straws - 2,000 ct.  

$17.78

image.png.67004fb89ce3053574ee7327ea10a5e5.png

Sugar in the Raw Natural Cane Turbinado Sugar (4.5 g., 500 pk.)  

$9.48

Now, I just need to find individually wrapped butter pats.  Thanks to xDisconnections for reminding me of Sysco!  There's a Sysco right down the road from me.  I'll check there.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I love my collapsible metal straw. It and its cleaning brush fit in a small case the size of a lighter. I clip it to a belt loop, or my keychain. I'll probably just add it to my lanyard on the cruise. I don't carry a purse while cruising.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Butterbean1000 said:

I was wondering the same thing. I've had olives stabbed with bamboo looking tooth picks. Maybe they'll be using something like that.

On my May cruise, we got bloody mary's with the olives stuck onto a plastic straw!!!😜 So inside the straw, you could see olive bits!   Not sure if the edible or Lolistraws will be up to double use as a cocktail stirrer or not!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, cmichael1279 said:

Yep, that's me! Totally unreal. :classic_tongue:

9 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

I'm a she, thanks very much. :classic_laugh: As long as I have a black card I'm good!

26 minutes ago, elcuchio24 said:

You paid for a few extra straws with their $6 coffee :-)

HAHAHAHAHA this! I really need to make my own coffee at home but dang, I love their caramel crunch frappe!

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, pirate4me2 said:

Yep, that's me! Totally unreal. :classic_tongue:

I'm a she, thanks very much. :classic_laugh: As long as I have a black card I'm good!

HAHAHAHAHA this! I really need to make my own coffee at home but dang, I love their caramel crunch frappe!

Seriously! Guess what: corporations, all corporations DONT care about you. Take them for all their worth. Millennials just got wise to it :-)

Disney has candy straws for some of their slushy-type frozen drinks, and they are just nasty!  These are just candy coated thin paper straws, but they fall apart, are sticky, and the kids all hated them. 

I can drink a regular soda or water without a straw, but would like one with my frozen drink.  Just another change the lines are making.  Sigh...

Oh well, I'm still cruising - straw or no straw! :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, obx_fintoo said:

eOn my May cruise, we got bloody mary's with the olives stuck onto a plastic straw!!!😜 So inside the straw, you could see olive bits!   Not sure if the edible or Lolistraws will be up to double use as a cocktail stirrer or not!

That is just a bit weird. I have gone olive diving with a straw when one got loose and fell to the bottom of the glass.  It usually doesn't turn out well for the straw or the olive.  It doesn't seem the best way to serve olives, but at least they still have them.  At home, we just use a wooden toothpick. I am still wondering why the single use wooden items and paper wrappers are included in the ban on Carnival.   

Edited by RoperDK
typo
  • Like 3

When I was on the Horizon at the end of April, I was given a chocolate flavored edible straw to use in my mocha frappe coffee drink (similar to a Starbucks frappuccino).   Maybe 15 minutes later the edible straw was a limp noodle.  Not ideal if you wait till the end to consume the whipped cream on top.  Hah!   Edible?  Yes.  Tasty chocolate?   Meh.   I took one bite out of curiosity and discarded the rest.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, cmichael1279 said:

15 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

or swipe them from Starbucks like pirate4me2 is going to do?

Take it easy. Y'all are acting like he's admitting to robbing a bank or something. Taking a few straws from a fast food joint has nothing to do with someone being entitled. Haven't you ever taken extra napkins to keep in your car? Taken a pen and notepad from a hotel or from your Carnival cabin? The little bottles of shampoo? The list goes on.

Besides, with the prices Starbucks charges, I'd say a customer has paid up for a few extra straws. 😜

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

Take it easy. Y'all are acting like he's admitting to robbing a bank or something. Taking a few straws from a fast food joint has nothing to do with someone being entitled. Haven't you ever taken extra napkins to keep in your car? Taken a pen and notepad from a hotel or from your Carnival cabin? The little bottles of shampoo? The list goes on.

Besides, with the prices Starbucks charges, I'd say a customer has paid up for a few extra straws. 😜

I'm sure people swiping a handful of straws will help keep prices down too!  It's stealing, plain and simple.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ShakyBeef said:

Now, I just need to find individually wrapped butter pats.  Thanks to xDisconnections for reminding me of Sysco!  There's a Sysco right down the road from me.  I'll check there.

There are people out there who ENJOY those rock hard individually wrapped butter bricks?