Cruise superstitions

Shoppie124

Not just for cruises, but for travel in general we've adopted a family tradition of packing our bags early and then sitting in the foyer/entry way on top of our baggage for at least half an hour having a cup of coffee and breathing and emotionally preparing to go before we get in the cab and actually leave the house. EVERY SINGLE DANG TIME one of us has jumped up half way through our cup of coffee because we forgot to pack something completely essential and irreplaceable. That cup of coffee has saved lives and thousands of dollars, won't leave home without it now. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iancal said:

We never cruise on ships that have a history, sporadic or otherwise, of cabin maintenance issues.   Won't even consider them...easier to vote with our feet and our wallets.

Just curious but do you actively research any of the potential ships for issues prior to booking or is it only the ones that make the news?

It is just that I would think every ship has had an issue at some point in time.

2 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

It is just that

I would think every ship has had an issue at some point in time.

Go to Wikipedia.com and type in the name of the ship.

Wikipedia loves to give all the issues any ship ever had

especially those nasty cruise ships.

3 hours ago, Aplmac said:

Go to Wikipedia.com and type in the name of the ship.

Wikipedia loves to give all the issues any ship ever had

especially those nasty cruise ships.

Exactly, that is why I was asking if it was only the ones they know about from headlines.

• Like 1

We have a friend that insist on a port side cabin.  Her son booked a surprise birthday cruise for her, but it was a starboard side cabin.  To this day she insists she did not enjoy the cruise because of the cabin location.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Never drink the free “champagne” given upon boarding, and always have a sail-away drink (any sort will do as long as it comes with a paper parasol).

Why can't the champagne have a parasol and do the job of a sailaway drink?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Why can't the champagne have a parasol and do the job of a sailaway drink?

A paper parasol cannot help the free “champagne” they give you.  

However, if you are on a really tight budget, a better alternative is to ask for a glass of tap water - and bring your own paper parasol.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Aplmac said:

Interesting write-up on Grandeur — the “...library with an honor checkout system...” was a bookcase with perhaps a dozen hard cover books of no particular interest and maybe 50 paperbacks - obviously left behind by passengers.  The free book exchanges in our local commuter RR stations are far better stocked.

I suppose the presence of one or two books can justify a shelf being called a “library”.

8 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Interesting write-up on Grandeur — the “...library with an honor checkout system...” was a bookcase with perhaps a dozen hard cover books of no particular interest and maybe 50 paperbacks - obviously left behind by passengers.  The free book exchanges in our local commuter RR stations are far better stocked.

I suppose the presence of one or two books can justify a shelf being called a “library”.

Sadly many of the ship's libraries have now become a joke.  The areas in which they were located have become internet cafe's or the location of "future cruise consultants" each of which produce revenue.

8 hours ago, tip said:

Sadly many of the ship's libraries have now become a joke.  The areas in which they were located have become internet cafe's or the location of "future cruise consultants" each of which produce revenue.

Due to he hygiene of other passengers, I would be reticent to use a ship's library but do agree, they have become smaller or even non existent on many ships. This may do with ship design or that many use electronic devices for their books or whatever.

I am not into superstitions at all but on our second cruise my husband commented I was wearing an embellished maxi dress on our first night like last year (first cruise).

I then sort of got into the habit of wearing one (different each time) each first night in the MDR for a few cruises.Then didn't anymore. I suppose it was more of a tradition.

We also used to have a 'rock the boat' as our jokey start of the cruise cruise song for a bit. But that went as well...I am sure we played Enya last year.

So nope.

3 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Due to he hygiene of other passengers, I would be reticent to use a ship's library but do agree, they have become smaller or even non existent on many ships. This may do with ship design or that many use electronic devices for their books or whatever.

We're sailing Oceania's Marina in December and their library has 2000 books.  That shocked and pleased me although I'm unlikely to check any out.  I have plenty of e-books available, even from my county library.