Whisky/Whiskey lovers!

redrobin

Whether it's scotch, bourbon, blended, single malt, rye.... where do you go on board to find your drink of choice? I'll be sailing on the Millennium, but am interested in what's been the experience on other Celebrity ships too. I'll have the Premium Beverage Package, and have found a recent list online showing what whiskey that should include. Are the included ones readily available or do you need to seek them out? What bars tend to be better stocked? How about availability in the dining rooms? Recently I've been favoring peated scotch, so hoping a nice dram of Lagavulin or Laphroaig won't be too hard to find! Thanks for any thoughts, tips, or suggestions!

If you are in a suite Michael’s Club/Retreat Lounge will try to source your preferred tipple. If it is on the ship and not ridiculously over the premium price they will get it for you.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, redrobin said:

Whether it's scotch, bourbon, blended, single malt, rye.... where do you go on board to find your drink of choice? I'll be sailing on the Millennium, but am interested in what's been the experience on other Celebrity ships too. I'll have the Premium Beverage Package, and have found a recent list online showing what whiskey that should include. Are the included ones readily available or do you need to seek them out? What bars tend to be better stocked? How about availability in the dining rooms? Recently I've been favoring peated scotch, so hoping a nice dram of Lagavulin or Laphroaig won't be too hard to find! Thanks for any thoughts, tips, or suggestions!

Unfortunately, Lagavulin or Laphroaig are not included in the Premium drinks package. The only malt whiskies available at most bars were Glenffidich, MacAllan and Glenlivet.  (Not the 12 year old varieties). On the Reflection, the world class bar had a much wider selection. Aberfeldy 12 yr old was one of my favourites. I complained about the availability of most single malts. I was told that I could designated a bar and they assured me that Aberfeldy would be there - I nominated the Passport bar. I drank this for the rest of the cruise - the bottle was kept in a cupboard so I don’t know if anyone else was served this.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jimzgoldfinch said:

Unfortunately, Lagavulin or Laphroaig are not included in the Premium drinks package. 

I've been served both within the premium package. 

As i stated though, selections will vary from ship to ship and even sailing to sailing. 

Unless of course they have very recently increased the price of those two brands? 

Edited by Mynki

1 hour ago, Mynki said:

I've been served both within the premium package. 

As i stated though, selections will vary from ship to ship and even sailing to sailing. 

Unless of course they have very recently increased the price of those two brands? 

They have been included in the past. They are not on the current list but then again Glen Scotia, favourite of mine, is included but no where to be found on the ship.

Also came across Oban 14 yr old and Talisker - was able to get them in premium package.

• Like 1

There is a scotch list and prices on this bar menu (scroll down) from The Club on the Edge that may give you an idea of Celebrity pricing. It looks like they have one of your favorites (Lagavulin) at $18,  $3+ 20% gratuity upcharge with Premium Package. Obviously, availability and pricing may change, but will give you a range of pricing. The gratuity on this list is still at 18% - as you likely know that changed to 20% a few months ago.

The Club Cocktails.pdf

Edited by vtcruising

59 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

There is a scotch list and prices on this bar menu (scroll down) from The Club on the Edge that may give you an idea of Celebrity pricing. It looks like they have one of your favorites (Lagavulin) at $18,  $3+ 20% gratuity upcharge with Premium Package. Obviously, availability and pricing may change, but will give you a range of pricing. The gratuity on this list is still at 18% - as you likely know that changed to 20% a few months ago.

The Club Cocktails.pdf 44.19 kB · 5 downloads

You can tell that's a selection aimed at the US market by the large choice of JW offerings!

No criticism, just an observation. :)

I drink bourbon and Woodford's is as good as it gets and sometimes I can't even find that.  A couple of cruises ago I asked about Bookers or Blanton's and I was told they never carry those brands.  Funny thing is they have a bourbon tasting event and unfortunately don't have anything worth "tasting."

54 minutes ago, mek said:

I drink bourbon and Woodford's is as good as it gets and sometimes I can't even find that.  A couple of cruises ago I asked about Bookers or Blanton's and I was told they never carry those brands.  Funny thing is they have a bourbon tasting event and unfortunately don't have anything worth "tasting."

I have also noticed the Bourbon selections to be lacking...with its popularity in The States, I would think it would be better.  

That said, Blantons is almost impossible to find in the Atl area, and if you find it, it’s around a $100....I blame “Justified” 🙂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mek said:

They use to have Blantons, Booker, Baker, Basil Hayden, Knob Creek, Woodford, MM and JIm Beam.  

I think they changed distributors and now only have MM, Woodford, Bulliet, Jim Beam,  Woodford Double Oak,     They also have 10 High that some BT tried to pass off  instead of using Woodford telling me it was a premium and just as good 😱

it may also be due to the cost and limited quantities of the others.    

Best bet  is to look at all the bars and see what they have and ask as they may have some brands not in view.   

Stock constantly changes

drink up 🍻🥂🍾🍷🍸🍹

Thanks for the responses. Looks like I'll need to peruse the bars and see what's on the ship!

The Premium Beverage pkg covers up to $15/drink, correct? If so, that Edge bar menu is a little misleading. The PBP lists a few spirits for $10/11. But, there's other whiskey $15 and under, like JD Sinatra Select or Oban 14, that should be covered too, correct, or am I missing something? With all the Johnnie Walker's listed, wonder why Black wouldn't be there?

4 minutes ago, redrobin said:

Thanks for the responses. Looks like I'll need to peruse the bars and see what's on the ship!

The Premium Beverage pkg covers up to $15/drink, correct? If so, that Edge bar menu is a little misleading. The PBP lists a few spirits for $10/11. But, there's other whiskey $15 and under, like JD Sinatra Select or Oban 14, that should be covered too, correct, or am I missing something? With all the Johnnie Walker's listed, wonder why Black wouldn't be there?

Not sure. But black has been included on the premium list for years. The list is for just one bar though. I'm sure you'll find it onboard. 

9 hours ago, chemmo said:

If you are in a suite Michael’s Club/Retreat Lounge will try to source your preferred tipple. If it is on the ship and not ridiculously over the premium price they will get it for you.

We did not there wine and they supplied us with decoy Cabernet which was very nice service in micheals was great on all our cruises,. 

The Scotch whisky lists are pretty solid. The best thing in the premium package that I recall was the Oban 14, which is a great whisky and the onboard price point makes it even more so..

If you're looking for a higher end bourbon, you'll probably keep looking. The allocations on almost anything more exotic than Woodfords have gotten so tight that I don't know how a cruise line would get enough, and it just doesn't seem to be there "thing" anymore. Most of the bourbons are mixing whiskies, not sipping whiskies. Which is a shame.

Going around the world mentally, I don't recall anything Irish (although there is one in vtcruising's price list) or Japanese. Probably just wasn't looking. And of course the price list is designed to start another whiskey war between Kentucky and Tennessee (once again, for the record, Jack Daniels meets all the legal criteria to be a bourbon; It's ALSO a Tennessee whiskey).

So, yeah, Scotch is probably the thing onboard, but you get limited real fast if you're not a MacAllan or JW drinker...

One of the reasons I don't generally upgrade to the premium package is the lack of good bourbons.  I do like woodford, actually I prefer the double oak, but I haven't actually found that on a celebrity ship recently.  As someone else said, the bourbons they do carry are good in an old fashion or Manhattan and I don't need a premium bourbon in those. If I'm desperate, I'll pay the upgrade charge for a woodfords once or twice.  Generally, I switch over to dirty martini's or vodka on the rocks requesting Titos which is really a very good vodka....certainly the equivalent of Kettel One which is on the premium package.   The Scotch selection is much better...and if I were still a Scotch drinker, i'd upgrade to Premium because Celebrity's choice is better.   I am a bit surprised at Celebrity's lack of understanding their target customers.  For the US, bourbon has become the "hot" drink...not scotch.  Celebrity marketing hasn't figured that one out yet.  

44 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

Good point on the Bourbon allocations, supplies on high end stuff are tight. 

And you you can have the Tennessee swill. 🙂

They do have Jack.   They need it fr those that only know Jack and Coke.   Don’t know what cola they use.   Not a fan of that drink, Jack or Cola.  

Mainly I am a old fashion or Sazerac drinker as they are may standards and go to, but will try any  drink.  I never knew about Sazerac until we had a trip to NOLA.

I seen a article about Bulleit rapid growth.  It is a decent bourbon.  We toured the distillery a few years back.   Found out that the label was put on crooked accidentally and when Tom Bulleit  seen it he like the uniqueness and look so now the labels are put on crooked. 

https://www.gobourbon.com/how-bulleit-is-building-their-bourbon-future/

a few years back Caesar’s properties in Vegas limited one of their bourbon selection for comped drinks to Bulleit.  That alone would contribute to the sales and It didn’t hurt when it became one of the few bourbons on X.   X also has Bulleit Rye.   

We always order a Whiskey Blu when dining in Blu and get one for the road (take out).  It use to be made with Knob Creek but now it is Bulleit.  

drink up 🍸🍷🍹🍾🥂🥃

Edited by miched

I do like the Bulleit Rye....

Shame on the Knob Creek, it has a nice bite....101 Turkey is my go to at home bourbon....totally different than their 80 offering...

That said, I probably have 15 or so varieties at any one time..

Edited by PTC DAWG

2 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

Shame on the Knob Creek, it has a nice bite....101 Turkey is my go to at home bourbon....totally different than their 80 offering...

I also like Bulleit Rye. Never really spent much time with their Bourbons.

But...

2 parts Bulleit Rye/1 part Carpano Antica Formula and a dash of Angostura bitters, stir well with ice and strain over a Luxardo cherry (not those stupid red candied things). Simple, easy, delicious. Then sit back and watch game 7...

1 hour ago, PTC DAWG said:

If you like 101 you should try BIB ( Bottled in Bond) bourbons.  They are sealed in a rick house,  aged for 4 years and bottled at 100 proof plus other restrictions.  

Here is a good article about it 

https://www.seriouseats.com/2015/10/what-is-bottled-in-bond-whiskey-budget-bonded-bourbon-rye.html

I have Evan Williams BIB, Heaven  Hill BIB, OGD bib and being a pool player JTS Brown bib ( it was what Fast Eddie drank in “The Hustler” ), and J W Dant bib.

Whenever I see BIB I buy it.   We drive from Mi to FL for the cruises and always stop at a Total Wine Store in KY on the way home to stock up..  There are some in FL  and some in Atlanta.  Check the website for prices in the different states.  Costco has the best price on bourbon but limited selection. I tried their Kirkland Bourbon a few years ago and it was terrible.  It tasted like kerosene. Rumors at the time was it was the same as Woodford because the bottle looked similar, wrong.   I have heard that the product is now different and better.  

Regular OGD (Old Grand Dad) is the same mash bill as Basil Hayden.   We were told that they are limited by their fermenting vats and the difference between the two is the aging and etc.  and  look at the bottles, they are almost the same.  

Love Bourbon

drink Up 🍷🍹🍸🥂🍾🍻🥃

• Like 1