Booking December 2020 not available

SSCAF001

I'm just reporting what we were told in a presentation by the VP of Exploration while we were on the Sojourn recently.  He emphatically stated that there would be 24 zodiacs (I think I have that right) and 26 members of the Ventures Team.  He said that they would have the ability to deploy all 24 zodiacs at the same time (obviously not at the same moment---but in the same time period) so that no one would miss out on going on a zodiac because of changing conditions.  

I'm  fairly  certain that there would never be 200 people WANTING to go ashore at one time. There will be solo travelers taking up some suites.   There are  also bound to be those who choose to stay onboard and take in the view that way because of mobility issues or other reasons.  Maybe SB is counting on only 100 wanting to go ashore at a time.  I wish I had known about the 100  rule at the time rule so that I could ask that question. I surmise that the answer would have been---"of course we have to comply with rules."  I've done a little reading and think I've read that not every locale has the 100 rule.  

Edited by SLSD

19 minutes ago, SLSD said:

I'm just reporting what we were told in a presentation by the VP of Exploration while we were on the Sojourn recently.  He emphatically stated that there would be 24 zodiacs (I think I have that right)

24 zodiacs is correct, they just cut the first steel for the ship and put the ship specs in the article about that which is here

http://seabournclubnews.com/articles/2019/06/062919_04.php

22 minutes ago, SLSD said:

I've done a little reading and think I've read that not every locale has the 100 rule.  

I was only reporting what I had been told.

I just went to the Association of Antarctic Tour Operators website 

https://iaato.org/frequently-asked-questions#are-all-antarctic-tour-operators-members

(interesting reading BTW)

and here are a couple of extracts:-

DF85D764-31B5-4BF5-9152-56F3CD827EC2.jpeg

E5306B00-BC16-4CC2-A618-423BB7D77500.jpeg

10 minutes ago, rols said:

24 zodiacs is correct, they just cut the first steel for the ship and put the ship specs in the article about that which is here

Thank you Rols.  Here's the wording from that link: "Seabourn Venture will carry 24 zodiacs on board, giving her the flexibility to take all guests on a Zodiac tour at once, when conditions present a the opportunity. Each ship will feature 132 luxurious oceanfront veranda suites, providing the best in accommodation no matter where the ships travel."   Nothing said here about the 100 person rule.  And note that there are 132 suites, which seems to mean that there could be 264 passengers?  Of course there would be a number of solo passengers.  

Aha!  Now I'm closely reading the words above and it says "giving her the flexibility to take all guests on a Zodiac tour at once."  It doesn't SAY landing at once.  This is probably something I did not notice at the presentation.  SO--everyone could be touring by Zodiac at one time, but only 100 landing at a time.  I think the intent of SB is that no one will miss out on going on a Zodiac if conditions are right (and possibly changing later).  I guess the landings themselves could be by rotation.  

Looking back at what I wrote a few post ago, I used the word "deploy", a word which I distinctly remember the SB VP using. 

Edited by SLSD

15 minutes ago, rols said:

Thanks for link rols, I note that the article states that the 24 Zodiacs will be able to take all guests on a Zodiac TOUR at once.

Also I see that there are 132 suites, so is that a pax capacity of 264 guests? or are Seabourn putting the Expedition Team up in style (as they deserve)

FD856764-D838-40A4-8F5E-359D6D84873B.jpeg

Edited by SKP946

I just looked back at the original post I made while aboard the Sojourn.  I copied my post directly from the notes I took that night.  

According to the SB vice president,  

"The ship will hold 264 guests and 235 crew."  

I just checked the Seabourn website and could not find mention of the number of passengers Venture will carry, so it appears that the 264 number is correct.  I wonder how some came to think it would be just 200?  

Edited by SLSD

Back to the topic of when one can expect see Nov., 2020 and later itineraries, I have heard from a Seabourn source that the itineraries will be released sometime this month of July and go out to Spring 2021.

For those who have been patient I hope we see the itineraries sooner rather than later. I guess the best thing to do is stay in contact with your TA and to check Seabourn’s site should they just suddenly pop up.

Happy and healthy sailing!

Not sure if this is relevant but when I was on an expedition cruise to Antarctica with Quark on Ocean Endeavour we were told that only 100 people were allowed to land on Antarctica at one time from our ship.

(190 Passengers). 

Half of our  complement went on a ' cruise around'  for a couple of hours on a zodiac then swapped later with those who had landed previously.

Maybe this will be how Seabourn manage the regulations regarding landings in Antarctica.

Sandytiger

On 7/1/2019 at 10:29 AM, markham said:

Back to the topic of when one can expect see Nov., 2020 and later itineraries, I have heard from a Seabourn source that the itineraries will be released sometime this month of July and go out to Spring 2021.

For those who have been patient I hope we see the itineraries sooner rather than later. I guess the best thing to do is stay in contact with your TA and to check Seabourn’s site should they just suddenly pop up.

Thanks for this information. At least You are still answering the subject of the initial post!!! I have checked seabourn website today but still nothing from December 2020 until spring 2021. I will be patient. 

• Like 1

On 6/12/2019 at 4:53 AM, SSCAF001 said:

Hi there

do you whether booking a silversea cruise is not possible between December 2020 and spring 2021? I find it strange since cruises are again available from summer 2021? Any clue? I would like to know at least the proposed itinerary for festive season 2020/2021. Thanks. 

You are on the Seabourn board.  I have the same question and my TA tells me that Seabourn will have the schedule for December 2020 in a month or so.  I do find it strange that there is no schedule for December 2020 - June 2021, but there is a schedule for July 2021 - December 2021. Weird!

On 6/19/2019 at 8:40 PM, 2SailingNomads said:

Seabourn's schedule release has always been an issue for many as they historically have not gone out as far as other competitors, which for some means a choice between an ideal cabin on a different line or hoping Seabourn will offer an itinerary that appeals to them.  For us, as to date we have only sailed on Seabourn for ocean cruises so it has not been a problem, but as we also do land-based vacations that sometimes require booking far in advance if you want a particular house or condo it does affects us, although to a lesser extent.  We have friends we met on Seabourn a couple of years ago that have booked a cruise on a different line and asked us to consider joining them - in Nov 2020, but I am waiting to see what the Quest does post Nov 7th MIA arrival as I would love to do the itinerary it is doing this year but have another land-based trip already booked for this year. 

I'm certain Markham's take above is correct, they were not expecting the travel rules to Cuba to change and that was the proverbial monkey wrench, but at the same time why not have the schedule planned earlier as other lines do?  Crystal goes out until May 2022!!!  Both Silverseas and Regent May 2021, yet Seabourn except for the high priced Venture itineraries basically stops at Oct 2020.

It's weird that Seabourn has the July 2020 - December itineraries listed and not July - December 2020.

The July, 2020 and onward schedules are for the new Venture program expedition ships being planned and constructed, and not the 5 existing ships.

Maybe we have just another 2-3 weeks to see what is happening with the Ody and Encore class ships.

• 1 month later...
On 7/10/2019 at 5:54 PM, markham said:

The July, 2020 and onward schedules are for the new Venture program expedition ships being planned and constructed, and not the 5 existing ships.

Maybe we have just another 2-3 weeks to see what is happening with the Ody and Encore class ships.

Still nothing...I really find it strange. Seabourn website shows promotions if booked by August 15.. this is the day after tomorrow...I continue to check everyday but I will end up booking on another cruise line. 

• Like 1

On 6/30/2019 at 4:48 PM, SKP946 said:

Aren’t the new ships 200 pax ?

I thought the rule was no more than 100 ashore at any one time (not counting expedition team) ?

You are correct about the rule, or law actually.  So unless Venture takes no more than 100 pax there’s no way they can land everyone at once in Antarctica.  Everywhere else however...

Edited by florisdekort

My understanding is that while only 100 people can be ashore at one time, they can have the other 100 people doing other things -- between loading and unloading zodiacs, zodiac cruising along the shore or around the ice, they probably can get all or most of the 200 pax off the ship at one time while only 100 are ashore at any time.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, galeforce9 said:

Looks to me like the/some itineraries are loaded on a popular TA website in the uk.  Eg 

2D84AF17-1039-48C6-B40D-02186492364F.jpeg

This is for January 2021.  We've been to Antarctica twice and Patagonia three times.  What STILL hasn't been posted for any Seabourn ship are itineraries for December 2020.

2 minutes ago, fudgbug said:

This is for January 2021.  We've been to Antarctica twice and Patagonia three times.  What STILL hasn't been posted for any Seabourn ship are itineraries for December 2020.

Just trying to give an example so you could find the website. Another DEC example 

3EBC2447-7341-48AE-995F-E333FB937636.jpeg

May or may not be related to the original post:

i was just informed that my may 2020 reservation on Quest has been cancelled.  We are given an option to book the Ovation which has a similar but not identical itinerary.  But get this: this  Ovation itinerary is a newly revised one that is different from what is on the Seabourn website.  Apparently the Quest and Ovation are having multiple schedule changes. Supposedly they will be announcing them within the next few days.