Barcelona to Greenwich 28/05/19: Excellent Itinerary, Outstanding Cruise

nordski

I am so sorry that you have suffered the loss of your father.  Losing your parents no matter what age is so difficult.  I cruised shortly after the death of my mother.  Was hesitant to go but my husband encouraged me to try.  The ocean itself provided so much healing for me.  Hopefully, you can return for a cruise and find healing and joy as well.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

Debbie, am I right in assuming you were unsuccessful in your upgrade bid?

Yes sadly by the time the mess was sorted out the two accessible OV cabins had gone, I was told they hadn’t gone to people with a disability but I’m not sure if that is correct or not. We eventually got a refund for the upgrade charge.

10 hours ago, DebbieMacG said:

Yes sadly by the time the mess was sorted out the two accessible OV cabins had gone, I was told they hadn’t gone to people with a disability but I’m not sure if that is correct or not. We eventually got a refund for the upgrade charge.

Thanks for the info.

7 hours ago, marinaro44 said:

Surprised to find two Azamara credits ($188.60 total) posted to our card right after this cruise.  Excess port charges or taxes?  Anyone know?

Nope no credits here

33 minutes ago, uktog said:

Nope no credits here

Thanks for posting that.  Pointed me in a different direction.  Credits were for a canceled excursion on Journey's upcoming October 10 cruise.  Timing with end of recent cruise just coincidental.

😃Thanks marinaro44!  I have always wanted to book a cruise in that area but never have mustered up the courage to do so.  I am worried about Straits of Gibraltar and Lisbon to London portion as well.  I don't get queasy but the hubs does.🤢

I guess a lot of it is luck (or lack of it) and timing with rough seas.

32 minutes ago, Sleep7 said:

😃Thanks marinaro44!  I have always wanted to book a cruise in that area but never have mustered up the courage to do so.  I am worried about Straits of Gibraltar and Lisbon to London portion as well.  I don't get queasy but the hubs does.🤢

By reputation the Bay of Biscay can be interesting, but it was no problem for us.

Thanks for the positive comments concerning my review. I hope you can give the itinerary serious thought.

Edited by nordski
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sleep7 said:

Worst seas I've experienced were on a ferry from Tangier to a port at the southern point of Spain (Tarifa?), right across the Straits.  Attendants were standing in front of seated passengers looking to see who was turning green in order to deliver barf bags before it was too late..  Men's room was a sight when we docked.  It is luck.

Yes.. that's what I was thinking too.  I will be keeping my fingers crossed this October.  We are sailing on the Pursuit from Monte Carlo to Barcelona but not hugging the coast as in past cruises with the same starting and ending points.  I don't know if being farther from the land makes it more of a chance of being rough or the same..

I guess as said before.. a little bit of luck goes a long way.🤞

😃Nordski.. so sorry to temporarily hijack your lovely review.

Screen Shot 2019-06-18 at 12.53.18 PM.jpg

Nordski, I agree with you that this cruise with the original itinerary would make a wonderful annual repositioning cruise with one exception. We knew that we would be hit by the VAT tax while in Spanish waters but one, how did Spain stretch that all the way to Greenwich; and two, would a stop in The Channel Islands cut that off since I believe those are a tax haven outside even London's reach. Does anyone know?

21 minutes ago, NorthernLite said:

Nordski, I agree with you that this cruise with the original itinerary would make a wonderful annual repositioning cruise with one exception. We knew that we would be hit by the VAT tax while in Spanish waters but one, how did Spain stretch that all the way to Greenwich; and two, would a stop in The Channel Islands cut that off since I believe those are a tax haven outside even London's reach. Does anyone know?

It’s because the UK is currently in the EU as is Spain so the Spanish tax stands 

Next year ..............well ..... it will all depend when (if) the UK drops VAT. 

Edited by uktog

10 hours ago, uktog said:

It’s because the UK is currently in the EU as is Spain so the Spanish tax stands 

Next year ..............well ..... it will all depend when (if) the UK drops VAT. 

When we first started cruising within and to Europe the VAT only was applied by Barcelona. Once a ship left their waters no one else added VAT. Maybe the change hit a few years later when the cruise companies would try to arrange a break from the EU by stopping in Israel, Turkey or even Tunisia and then reentering the EU? I readily admit I am totally at a loss with Euros but had no problems living in southern Germany and later Rome calculating about 6 different currencies and juggling borders at 2am on trains.

Do any other EU departure ports now impose a VAT other than Spain? I know about 10 years back we did a transatlantic from the US to Harwich that stopped in 2 northern Spanish towns and no VAT was added onboard for drinks or specialty restaurants while in those ports.  Just curious about how the other EU ports now handle this.

There is a rule within EU legislation, always has been, that any country can apply vat on goods sold on vessels starting the voyage in their country that’s destination was another EU port.  There are different interpretations of “the break clause”  Like many EU taxation laws, how it was implemented was down to the country.  Spain was the first to implement it about 5 years ago to a lot of protests and Italy followed.  UK never did, nor did Holland. 

Again, breaks used to be interpreted as one day, now there’s another view it’s the majority of the cruise. It can also be tricky for the ship if they have to show split accounting.  Get it wrong and they have to pay the tax on everything even if they’ve not collected it. 

My hunch, more EU countries will apply it- it’s an easy hit.  However there is a global refund program the ship needs to explain better though it doesn’t apply to food and drink.  And as I say UKs exit from EU means it won’t apply on that itinerary one the tax positions are separated.  

If the cruise had stopped in Gibraltar you wouldn’t have had to pay the VAT.

Also cruises that visit St Petersburg are exempt. We bought an iPad on board on our last cruise on Celebrity Silhouette and saved the 20% VAT. Technically we could have had it charged when we returned to Southampton, but I just made sure I didn’t exceed my £390 Customs allowance.

16 minutes ago, upwarduk said:

If the cruise had stopped in Gibraltar you wouldn’t have had to pay the VAT.

Also cruises that visit St Petersburg are exempt. We bought an iPad on board on our last cruise on Celebrity Silhouette and saved the 20% VAT. Technically we could have had it charged when we returned to Southampton, but I just made sure I didn’t exceed my £390 Customs allowance.

Not quite 

None of the Northern European countries are applying the rule so the ship cannot charge tax on the Baltic run. The technicality you mention is because you are a UK citizen and you did buy duty free.  The limits vary depending on the guests country.

We were on a cruise with a one day Gibraltar stop started in Spain, finished in Lisbon tax was applied every day but Gibraltar. On our transatlantic tax was applied for 5 days then stopped. 

The trouble is EU and incountry legislation is constantly changing so future guests shouldn’t rely on posts but should check onboard for the situation applying on their cruise. Ask at Guest Relations what the position is don’t ask the bar staff. If you think the answer is strange seek out the onboard financial controller (usually in the group welcoming you to the Captains welcome but often overlooked!). They know exactly what tax regime they are applying that cruise. 

• Like 1

We were on Ovation of the Seas round trip Southampton and Harmony of the Seas Southampton to Barcelona in 2016 and U.K. VAT at 20% was added to purchases on both cruises. Our last cruise was a round trip from Barcelona and Spanish VAT at 10% for food & drinks and 21% for all other purchases was added. Last year from Venice Italian VAT was added to purchases but food and drinks were exempt. Application of VAT is dependent on the departure countries VAT rules.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NorthernLite said:

Thanks for the explanation uktog and Riocca. I did know about the Global Refund and lines should include that during the noon Captain's message instead of letting the CD hog the mic. 😉

I agree that more refund information should be provided.

Of the three times that I was apparently eligible for it, I managed to do so once.

On our most recent cruise, the earnest woman in the shop assured me that everyone was able to negotiate the process.

That added to my sense of inadequacy as once again I failed. I missed getting the customs stamp somewhere in Heathrow.

Don’t feel bad. It depends which terminal you’re going from it can be hard 

Cant be too difficult can it for information sheets with clear details on airport at the disembark port to be available for each voyage where refunds are relevant

Port agents should be able to collate this. 

42 minutes ago, uktog said:

Don’t feel bad. It depends which terminal you’re going from it can be hard 

Cant be too difficult can it for information sheets with clear details on airport at the disembark port to be available for each voyage where refunds are relevant

Port agents should be able to collate this. 

Agree! 

There should be a map showing the relevant kiosks etc. for the various terminals.

Concerning Heathrow specifically, it seems we are always the furthest distance possible from the departure gate whenever they decide to finally reveal that closely held secret. 🙂 

As a result, getting the refund is not always top of mind.

However, although succeeding once I have also failed the test in the much more manageable Barcelona airport.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, nordski said:

Agree! 

There should be a map showing the relevant kiosks etc. for the various terminals.

Concerning Heathrow specifically, it seems we are always the furthest distance possible from the departure gate whenever they decide to finally reveal that closely held secret. 🙂 

As a result, getting the refund is not always top of mind.

However, although succeeding once I have also failed the test in the much more manageable Barcelona airport.

Don't feel bad, nordski. I am still waiting on a refund check from Scotland for a trip in 2005.

Now I take the cash. ☺️

16 minutes ago, hrhdhd said:

Don't feel bad, nordski. I am still waiting on a refund check from Scotland for a trip in 2005.

Now I take the cash. ☺️

Don’t blame the Scots tax is not a devolved issue so your refund is funding something in Westminster 😃

not everyone gives cash refunds but when they do I take it. 

For me Norway has the best system they even come onboard to make it easy