For those that don't like the taste of ship's tap water ...

The Brita water filter jugs are on special at David Jones at the moment. I've just bought and are trialling it at home before we go on the 35 night Hawaii/Tahiti cruise.

I seem to be very sensitive to the chlorine taste in water and notice it especially on Princess ships so hopefully the filter jug will mean I don't need to buy great quantities of bottled water.

We purchased Brita bottles and we fit a new filter disk each time we cruise. Have found them to be very good and they definitely improve the taste of the water.

Very happy with them.

I got the idea from something someone posted here a while back. I just remembered it yesterday and was delighted to find them on sale. It always seems far more satisfying to buy things on sale! 😄

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

It seems to me the taste can vary widely across lines and ships. The water on P&O explorer for example was fine while on the jewel, it wasn't. HAL's Maasdam it tasted okay but had an odour but on Royal it seems I only like the water when chilled.

Another hint to improve the taste of the tap water is to pour some into a jug or similar container and let it sit for a few hours. I haven't done this because the taste of the tap water doesn't bother me, but I have heard that this method improves the taste of water in some areas.

9 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I've found the water on Princess tastes worse to me once it's been sitting for a while, as does unfiltered Sydney tap water. 

Looks as if you prefer 'fresh' water, as the taste difference is likely caused by the dissipation of the chlorine that the water is treated with.

Apart from Adelaide 'city water' I can't say I have ever drank water that I couldn't drink. Growing up in Western Sydney we used to drink tap water straight from the garden hose, which apparently was bad for me. 

Pure water, by definition, has no taste. Personal preferences for water taste are to do with the impurities in the water & everyone is different.

Yes, the only "city" water I've been able to drink straight from the tap was in Port Douglas.

But it's not just impurities as it's the added chlorine taste that I find unpleasant and, unfortunately, chlorine is added on ships.

Anyway problem solved but it's one more thing to stuff in the suitcase. Thank goodness we don't have any air travel for the next cruise.

1 hour ago, mr walker said:

Looks as if you prefer 'fresh' water, as the taste difference is likely caused by the dissipation of the chlorine that the water is treated with.

Apart from Adelaide 'city water' I can't say I have ever drank water that I couldn't drink. Growing up in Western Sydney we used to drink tap water straight from the garden hose, which apparently was bad for me. 

Pure water, by definition, has no taste. Personal preferences for water taste are to do with the impurities in the water & everyone is different.

Adelaide water is about the worst I’ve ever tasted.

9 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Interestingly the Brita filtered water has a different taste to water from our regular plumbed-in filter at home.

We had two filters from the one company (can’t remember which one) they took different cartridges, one at home, one in chambers, they tasted way different.

2 hours ago, mr walker said:

Yes. I pour some glasses and let them sit when onboard, for the chlorine to evaporate, though don't notice any major difference in taste.

An upside is that with the warmer water we have here, it also cools the water down, which can be often quite warm otherwise.

1 hour ago, GUT2407 said:

Adelaide water is about the worst I’ve ever tasted.

Depends where in Adelaide you are, I lived in happy Valley and the water there was from the local reservoir, (and not topped up from the river), so the water was fine. In the hills or down on the plains with water from the tea tree gully reservoir and the water was not so great.

I decant a small bottle of good quality lime cordial from home  and put a very small amount into a empty wine bottle in the fridge this masks any taste. (yes I have to drink the first bottle pretty sharpish )

Cheers Carole

We always buy bottles water on board, probably waste of money, but we prefer it. On the Princess ships overseas you can pre order a slab of H20 to your cabin for a reasonable price.  I like to flavour my water with a dram of scotch.

Edited by NSWP
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, NSWP said:

We always buy bottles water on board, probably waste of money, but we prefer it. On the Princess ships overseas you can pre order a slab of H20 to your cabin for a reasonable price.  I like to flavour my water with a dram of scotch.

Wish they’d offer the water package here.

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

We used to always do that, and take some slabs of water on when departing from Sydney, and have used the water package a couple of times, but Princess has put the price up on bottled water along with most other drinks so it would get quite expensive over 6 weeks, especially as I drink a litre or more overnight. That's why I looked for an alternative. I'm planning on taking one or two slabs on for use on port days so I have sealed bottles to take ashore but the rest of the time I'll use filtered water.

39 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

We drink the ship's tap water and take a couple of empty water bottles that we take ashore filled with ship tap water.🙂

Some ports are only allowing sealed bottles of water ashore these days. Not sure exactly where, possibly some NZ ports, and ports in other parts of the world. It's never been an issue for us as we used to buy bottled water onboard to take ashore when needed, or bought water on shore.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ